Start by marking “A Piece of Normal” as Want to Read:
A Piece of Normal

A Piece of Normal

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  237 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Dear Lily . . .

At age thirty-four, Lily Brown has her life just the way she likes it. And what’s not to like? She’s got a great job as an advice columnist for the local newspaper, an adorable four-year-old son, and an ex-husband, Teddy, who still thinks she’s wonderful. She even lives in the same beach house where she grew up, with a great view of Long Island Sound and ple
Published March 27th 2007 by Broadway Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Piece of Normal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Piece of Normal

Lisa
Apr 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this author's most recent book and really liked it, so I requested her other books from the library. After reading a second book by this author, I'm definitely a fan. Her stories immediately draw you in and are easy reading. This one centers around Lily Brown whose life is in a rut and how that changes when her sister Dana comes back to town after ten years. That's a VERY basic summary; it sounds like other books, but this plot is definitely unique.
Connie
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. I liked it's pace. It kept my interest and I quite enjoyed the twisted up relationships.

It was so funny too.

Easy to read and there is nothing wrong with that. I about broke my head open reading Wuthering Heights.
Melissa T
Feb 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern
This book is just weird. Weird! Odd characters, bizarre relationships (VERY bizarre) between characters, and strange plot line. Now that I've used every synonym for "weird" I can think of without busting out the thesaurus, I'd better stop. Don't bother with this one.
Anissa
Nov 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I couldn't stop reading. It was not totally predictable, but it was also not completely unbelievable. I will defiantly read this author again.
Lori
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay. It is a typical "I have to change my life" novel about a woman who's parents died and she had to take care of her crazy little sister. The sister disappeared for 10 years and is now back hoping to be fully accepted. The sister starts dating the ex-husband, they find out about their mother's lesbian affair, she meets a hunky new Super Man, and tries to tie the broken CT beach community back together. However, she realizes it never was perfect. It was all pretty typical and pre ...more
Renae
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I picked this up after reading "Kissing Games of the World" which is by the same author. Not nearly as good as Kissing Games and more in the Chicklit genre, but still a good read. There are a few pretty heavy topics addressed it this book, but it doesn't feel heavy in the way the author presents the story. Strangely, at the beginning, it reminded me of an episode of Pushing Up Daisies . . . heavy topics, yet it feels whimsical and everyone is a bit odd.
Katherine Spencer Inskeep
pretty average storyline - Lily Brown, advice columnist, deals with her ex-husband (who won't go away and ends up hooked up with her sister), same sister (returned after running away 10 years earier), the "colony" old neighbors set in their ways and a new man in her life. Just needed a bit more spunk.
Celeste Stinson
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You won't gain any brain cells by reading this book, but it's different from your usual "chick lit" and pretty entertaining. Her profession as an advice columnist adds an interesting element. I stayed up until midnight on a work night to finish the book and I didn't regret it, which is a big compliment in my world.
Bamboozlepig
Another DNF. The humor was okay, but a few chapters in and none of the characters called to me. I'd class this as slightly heavy chick-lit, but full of the usual cliches of fucked up families and ex-husbands and a hot new dude the female character wants to bang. Also plenty of family secrets and a set of sisters that can't get along. Meh.
Kim
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Wanted to smack the younger sister, and shake her 'till her teeth rattled. She needed a Cher to Nick Cage ala "Moonstruck" smack. I wanted to shout "Get over it!" to her several times and could not belive her gaul. Can't say much else or I'll give it away.
Sanjeedha Sanofer
Jul 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the story deals with many complicated relationships which don't have any thick standing in our hearts..on the whole..there is no proper plot and the whole characterization is quite blatant..worst one..
Jo
Jun 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a random pick from the library - and I enjoyed it quite a bit... I smiled for the last few books I've read all have to do with forgiveness and letting go... maybe that's a reminder I need right now :o) a few less pleasant words - but overall a pleasant read!
Trina
May 10, 2009 rated it liked it
A good, easy read. Somewhat predictable, but still enjoyable. I never figured out if the baby would be Lily's son's cousin or brother. It drove me crazy that nobody dwelled on that oddity and how to explain it to the boy, or how they would deal with this bizarre twist. Oh well.
Alison
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was better than most light "women's fiction." The author steered clear of heavy-handed imagery and similes, and I thought she used dialogue and flashbacks in a way that kept me interested. The ending was predictable, but decent. All in all, an enjoyable read.
Jamie
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The best part of this book was that you can understand that sometimes you want to change who you are so badly, you make snap decisions that you regret...like bleaching her hair and then leaving the bleach in too long because she was distracted...
Patti
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story; I enjoyed the author's humor and the quirky characters.
Patti
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good, very crazy!
Veronica
I'll give the same review as the other book. Interesting read, but too close in story-line to her other book.
Susan
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i just read this, liked it. easy reading, amusing
Suzanne
I liked this book right up until the end. She wasn't as strong as I hoped she'd be...she put up with way to much crap from other people.
Dpic
Not even finished 1st chapter. I am not very fond of first person style or talk of dying hair!
Marti
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me feel like my life & my family are really together - whew! Glad for a happy ending, but lots of things were left unresolved. A good read on a snowy day.
Amy
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I like the fact that everything doesn't wrap up perfectly well at the end. I'm left wondering what's going to happen with everyone. Highly dysfunctional family, but aren't they all.
Jill Moroney
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, I liked the characters and the story was interesting.
Peggy Julicher
Just something to read on the beach.
Lettie Cox
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Just "ok"
Teena
Sep 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. An easy read that Kept you wanting more.
Kim
Sep 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe only 2.5 stars——I enjoyed it. Light, but that's what I wanted. A different story than the usual.
Erin
Mar 09, 2013
Alyce Rocco
Jun 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Forgive the Moon
  • A Thousand Voices (Tending Roses #5)
  • The Divine Message of the DNA
  • Bufflehead Sisters
  • Windless Summer
  • Selling Hope
  • Wanted  (Juliana, #3)
  • Still Life: a novella (Still Life #1)
  • Small Miracles: Extraordinary Coincidences from Everyday Life