Start by marking “A Fall of Stardust” as Want to Read:
A Fall of Stardust

A Fall of Stardust

(Neil Gaiman Rarities: Humble Bundle)

Portfolio in envelope.
Published by Green Man (first published 2000)

A.M.
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, e-books
Stardust was originally a ‘storybook with pictures’, done with Charles Vess and released in 1997. This short story, along with a heap of art from other contributors, and some poems, came in 1999 to raise money for Vess’ wife Karen after a car accident. It wasn’t until 1999 that Stardust became a conventional novel. So this kind of doesn’t fit as a prologue even though it does mention the place Wall and has talking magpies. Perhaps Jenny was a character whose story hasn’t been written yet?
Neil mi
Kelly Furniss
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it
An extremely short prequel to Gaiman's popular Stardust novel. It's a coming of age story of innocence mixed with myth and a few poems in for good measure. Good, but over too quickly to really be read as a stand alone tale.
Jon Arnold
A slight prequel to Stardust, a bildungsroman capturing the end of childhood innocence and how experience robs the world of a certain magic. It’s backed up by a couple of poems including an exceptionally clever one in pandium form.
David Raz
I got this as part of the 2016 Humble Bundle.

A short coming of age story, and two short poems.
The short story is mildly entertaining, though I can't say it has any impact. The poems are forgettable.
The entire work is quite redundant, two out of five.
Stars
Mar 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Daphne
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Extremely short, but pleasant enough if your memory of Stardust (and its characters) serve you well.
Honya
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Fall of Stardust is a unique little collection that I got as part of Gaiman’s recent Humble Bundle. It’s kind of a reader alluding to his (incredible) novel Stardust. Remarkably, it’s only about 14 pages long, including the cover, yet it packs quite the punch. The majority of the volume is a short story (almost more of a vignette) about a girl named Jenny who watches as magpies gather around her, recalling a superstitious poem about them and truly experiencing that one precious moment of her l ...more
Harker
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The poems in this short piece were cool because even though most weren't stated out and out, you could tell which characters from Stardust they were talking about.

The piece that I'm confused about the most is in the beginning about Jenny. It takes place in 1963 and other than a mention of Wall doesn't seem to have much connection to the Stardust story. It feels like a tease and I really wish this were going to be a longer story because Jenny, or her family, sound like they could have been very i
Elin Nilsson
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, gaiman
A story-collection from Gaiman's 2016 Humble Bundle. This book collects a bunch of poems and a short story from the Stardust universe. Not really being a fan of poems in general, my favourite from this book was the short-story. I kind of like the fact that it was a sort of growing up story for girls. Not really coming-of-age, but still about a girl growing up ahead of her older brothers they way we sometimes do. But mostly, this book reminded me that it's been way too long since I read Stardust ...more
Andy Luke
Prologue to the lovely Stardust begins with a short story which brings that world flooding back albeit through the Gaiman-types of otherworldly, spooky nature. The four poems (on lesser characters) resonated less so, though are fine in and of themselves. Charles Vess's illustrations are competent yet his colour cover here is a thing of outstanding beauty. At 10 pages or so, it's quite worth your time.
Nicholas Whyte
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it

This was part of the Neil Gaiman Humble Bundle, only 14 pages, published in 1999 and illustrated by Charles Vess. Most of it is a very short coming of age story about a girl and the significance of magpies; there are also three poems. The third poem is rather neat but the other two (including the one excerpted above) are rather slight.
Marc Lucke
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction

Ever since I was mesmerized by Instructions, I've been looking forward to reading this other collaboration between Gaiman & Vess. Once again, the crisp art is a perfect complement to Gaiman's restrained, poetic narrative. My only real complaint is that the entire exercise feels a bit rote: it's almost Gaiman-by-the-numbers (which isn't entirely a bad thing).

Natalie Cannon
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gaiman-books
Like many, I received this as part of the Humble Bundle of Gaiman rarities. A super quick read, it contains a writings relevant to the Stardust universe, including a prologue and 3 poems. A lovely little gem with lovely stylized art!
Alex Sarll
Slight but charming offcuts, which really should be included with Stardust proper. But then, some editions of that don't even have the illustrations, so clearly it has a problem with mislaying bits of itself.
Fugo Feedback
Jun 28, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Fugo by: Precio y autores
Tengdría que corroborar si está incluido en la edición Absolute de Stardust que me compré el año pasado.
Randy
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
A short ebook - very nice short story, set in the world of Stardust, and some poems of varying interest.
Jessica
Part of the Humble Bundle. Has potential.
Colleen (Soggywarmpockets)
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute illustrated prequel story to Stardust with a few poems at the end. I enjoyed the original illustrations by Charles Vess very much.
Sara Dee
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
a fun little bitty prequel into the world of Stardust and Wall. I enjoyed it. not a huge poetry buff or I would've given a higher rating.
B-zee
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, poetry
Prolog tentang beranjak dewasa. Puisi tentang kematian dan 'rahasia'.
Stefani
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
a wonderful prologue to Wall and addition to the Stardust story. So happy I bought the Humble Bundle :D
Charles Chlipala
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Really short piece of work, not that interesting, but I got it cheap as a part of a big bundle of books.
Yolanda
Oct 12, 2016
Ash
Dec 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Baltimore, Vol. 5: The Apostle and the Witch of Harju (Baltimore, #5)
  • Our Haunted Lives: True Life Ghost Encounters
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • The Shadow Out of Time
  • The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 1
  • Home Sweet Horror
  • The Howling Ghost (Spooksville, #2)
  • Meteor Men
  • Barbarian Lord
  • Jaybird
  • The Dandelion's Tale
  • Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird
  • Lies in the Dust: A Tale of Remorse from the Salem Witch Trials

Neil Gaiman Rarities: Humble Bundle (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff
  • Day of the Dead: A Babylon 5 Scriptbook
  • Duran Duran
  • Feeders & Eaters and Other Stories
  • Free Speeches
“Somehow she knew that you didn't get many moments like this in your life: moments when you knew, without any doubt, that you were alive, when you felt the air in your lungs and the wet grass beneath your feet and the cotton on your skin; moments when you were completely in the present, when neither the past nor the future mattered.

She tried to slow her breathing, hoping somehow to make this moment last forever.”
1 likes