Start by marking “Selected Essays” as Want to Read:
Selected Essays

Selected Essays

stern moral fiber. His influence left its stamp on contemporary writers such as Thoreau, Whitman and Emily Dickinson. These essays radiate Emerson's sensitivity and wonder.
Audio Cassette
Published December 12th 1987 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1876)

Start your review of Selected Essays
Robert
Mar 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, here's the deal because I know I am in the minority. This is just a really tough book to understand. I tried really hard to follow it, but found myself getting lost often. Emerson is a great writer, and when I was in highschool I did read some of his selections, but reading over 300 pages was pretty greulling. There were some quotes that I really liked and connected with, but overall its not something that I enjoyed.

One other negative was that the book I read was supposed to have interpretat
Julie
Reading Emerson with my Unitarian book group is interesting. For them, he's not just an entry in the American literary canon; he might just hold the answers to some of life's questions. It's an unusual approach for me, but refreshing. Reminds me of my freshman year of college, when I read Plato and Dante and Machiavelli not to analyze and criticize, but for their potential truth value.

In the end, though, I remain deeply suspicious of the early Emerson, and particularly his belief in a universal
Sharla
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book many years ago when barely a teenager. Recently I noticed it on my mother's bookshelf and decided to refresh my memory by reading it again. I was surprised to realize these essays probably helped to shape my thinking and beliefs. That is not a bad thing.
Pol
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-part
'Self Reliance', 'Divinity School Address', and 'The Over-Soul'.
I can't say Emerson's essays endear him to me at all. His system of thought is hopelessly naïf, and his aphoristic style is a double edged sword (in a way) – it makes for elegant, declamatory prose, but it also leads to misinterpretation of the sort that Captain Ahab uses to justify a monomaniacal pursuit. And more relevant to our modern times, people justify their egomania with out-of-context pithy little statements.
Emi
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides 5 of the 6 essays and a lecture included in the most widely read Self-Reliance and Other Essays, the volume also contains several more lectures and 7 additional essays ... but my favorites still remain in the former compilation.
Erin Matson
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you find yourself living among cornfields and early fall snow during a mounting pandemic and potential civil war, these essays provide perspective.
Hardy Bazyani
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the best books you will ever read.
Mat Rueter
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every true man or woman requires infinite spaces and numbers and time fully to accomplish their design.
John Wiswell
Aug 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philosophy readers, artists, classic readers, Americana readers
Ralph Waldo Emerson was one of the fathers of the American spirit, not crafting its bill of rights or structure of government, but in defining individuality, pragmatism and spirituality for a new country built on people escaping the old. The seminal essay, "On Self-Reliance," is worth the price of this book alone, as it echoes everything our mothers told us as kids - but the rub is, this is where they got it. It is not the hardest-edged philosophy, Hell, anyone can read this and make sense of it ...more
J
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
e-book/project gutenberg: text is from the 1907edition by Charles E. Merrill Co, New York, ed. by Edna H.L. Turpin. It's a textbook with 275 pages and includes a variety of essays and some biographical/historical context and information:
- Life of Emerson
- Critical opinions
- Chronological list of principal works
- "The American Scholar"
- "Compensation"
- "Self Reliance"
- "Friendship"
- "Heroism"
- "Manners"
- "Gifts"
- "Nature"
- "Shakespeare: or the Poet"
- "Prudence"
- "Circles"

I enjoyed this a lot, muc
Erica
Sep 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Emerson's more popular essays are rather astounding. I think he is one of those writers whose popular work really is his goodwork--the less popular stuff comes off as didactic and repetitive. My favorites: "John Brown," "Self-Relaince," "American Scholar," and "The Poet." "The Poet" in particular is interesting in how Emerson equates the figure of the poet to "beauty" and "naming" and also speaks of the poet as having "godlike" qualities. But, Emerson quotes his own poetry three times in this es ...more
Scott
Feb 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the great tragedies of my grad school experience was that I read so many excellent books so quickly that I can't remember much of them except that they were good. Someone with my handwriting has written thoughtful comments all over the margins of this book, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about Emerson except perhaps that beauty and nature are good, and one should be true to oneself. Did I get that right, Mr. Emerson?
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff.
Bob Gilbert
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just lovely.
Shelli
Mr. Emerson is one of my favorite authors, and has been since the early 1980s. His style is direct and enlightening, and you'll get a great view of religion in New England in the early 1800s.
Armando
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am always referring back to these wonderful essays time and time again. Self Reliance is still one of my favorites!
Ima.lotus
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book which makes you need a cup of coffee and a second reading.
Abby
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays, nonfiction, nature
Beautiful, essential American prose. Emerson holds such strong opinions about everything, and he was probably a real pain in person, but he sure can write a compelling essay.
Shelby M. (Read and Find Out)
3.5 stars overall.

Self-Reliance: 5 stars
Compensation: 4 stars
Love: 1 star
Friendship: 3 stars
Nature: 4 stars
Luly
rated it did not like it
Feb 14, 2018

• The Call of the Wild/White Fang/To Build a Fire
  • These Ghosts Are Family
  • Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There
  • What If It's Not Alzheimer's?: A Caregiver's Guide to Dementia
  • The Wisdom of Psychopaths: What Saints, Spies, and Serial Killers Can Teach Us About Success
  • Anna Karenina
  • The Grapes of Wrath
  • A Fraction of the Whole
  • The Mamba Mentality: How I Play
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Lesson
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • On the Shortness of Life
  • The Runner's Handbook: The Bestselling Classic Fitness Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Runners
  • Mary Ventura and the Ninth Kingdom
in 1803, Ralph Waldo Emerson was born in Boston. Educated at Harvard and the Cambridge Divinity School, he became a Unitarian minister in 1826 at the Second Church Unitarian. The congregation, with Christian overtones, issued communion, something Emerson refused to do. "Really, it is beyond my comprehension," Emerson once said, when asked by a seminary professor whether he believed in God. (Quoted ...more