Start by marking “Hush (Tess Monaghan, #12)” as Want to Read:
Hush (Tess Monaghan, #12)

Hush

(Tess Monaghan #12)

The award-winning New York Times bestselling author of After Im Gone, The Most Dangerous Thing, Id Know You Anywhere, and What the Dead Know brings back private detective Tess Monaghan, introduced in the classic Baltimore Blues, in an absorbing mystery that plunges the new parent into a disturbing case involving murder and a manipulative mother.

On a searing August day,
Audiobook
Published February 24th 2015 by HarperAudio (first published February 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Hush, please sign up.
Naomi Campbell I hope you read it. I see this question was posted four months ago. I also checked it out not knowing it was book number 12. I never would've checked…moreI hope you read it. I see this question was posted four months ago. I also checked it out not knowing it was book number 12. I never would've checked it out. It reads fine, absolutely fine, on its own. DID you read it? Did you like it?(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Rachel I know it's been ages since you posted this, but you are absolutely right. The last part of Girl in the Green Raincoat is here (serialised in the NYT…moreI know it's been ages since you posted this, but you are absolutely right. The last part of Girl in the Green Raincoat is here (serialised in the NYT magazine): https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/25/ma...

Right at the end it does say that Tess and Crow had a combined wedding and baby shower when they brought Carla Scout home from the hospital. So it's a continuity error that they aren't married in Hush Hush.(less)

Start your review of Hush (Tess Monaghan, #12)
Sharon
After a tragic event occurs young mother Melisandre Dawes life will never be the same, but the question remains is Melisandre guilty or not guilty. Having never read any books by this author I wasnt sure what to expect when I started reading this book. I must say the format is set out differently to what Im use to and perhaps thats why I didnt enjoy it as much as I wouldve liked.

I liked this book, but I didnt love it. Yes it was a mystery/ thriller, but it certainly didnt have me on the edge of
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

*I won this book in a GR Firstreads giveaway*

I love to read a good mystery/thriller, but this one didn't hit the spot for me. Hush, Hush did sound like a book I was going to love. I didn't really like any of the characters. I liked Tess, her child, her partner and Kitty well enough but everyone else was just blah. Now, I know you don't have to like all of the people in the book but even some bad people are well written in a book.

I still can't understand how
Diane S ☔
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one book where I found Tess's personal life as fascinating as the case she is working on. Juggling work with her three year old daughter, often has Tess wondering if she is a good enough mother. A common thought which many working women and stay at homes moms can relate. Carla Scout, her and Crows daughter is a hoot. She is a formidable little person already and provided many comedic lines.

The common theme in this one is mothers and daughters. The case Tess and Sandy are working on is
Heather
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I give this book 4 stars for the mystery and one star for the excruciatingly boring tedium of hearing how the main character is now a mother and how her child is being raised on foods that are GMO free, organic only, trans fat free (really?) and how the character is constantly stretched for time and worries that she's a horrible mother. Almost every waking thought she has is how she is a horrible mother. And it doesn't seem like Tess likes it very much. And why is her child always mentioned by ...more
sue
Laura Lippman's books are an addiction to me simply because I like some of her books but others I have a problem with. But I just can't stay away until I've read the next one and the next one.

This is an emotional read and an angst one. Because I am sure, like me, you will read the part where she leaves her child in the car on a very hot summers day and walks away leaving the child to die.

I'm very concerned that the verdict was not a full guilty, however, its a lighter sentence which carries not
Alafair Burke
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laura Lippman's standalone novels are among the best books around, but I had forgotten how much I missed her (my/our) Tess Monaghan. This is Lippman at her very best. Don't miss it.
Obsidian
Sigh. What a great book this was. I was initially skeptical for how Lippman was doing this (interview style format sprinkled with third person POVs) but it really works. I also liked the conversation around motherhood. A mother killing their child is seen as being a horrific thing with a lot of people not even wanting to get to the point they can understand how that happens. I thought that everything really worked in this one. The characters, the writing, the flow, and even the slowly dawning ...more
Linda
I received this book from Goodreads for an honest review. Thank you to Goodreads and to Laura Lippman.

Let's just say when going into this novel, one has to know that you will be engaging in some topics that will raise your internal register. Anything that deals with the brutal reality of mothering children nowadays, for the competent and for the incompetent, touches us at the giving end or at the receiving end.

The focus is on the character of the mother who stood by in a deep fog as her young
Liz Barnsley
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im a fan of Laura Lippmans crime novels and I was very pleased to see the return of Tess Monaghan in this story one of my favourite literary heroines, I know Im in for a good read when shes involved and I was right.

In this story, she is reluctantly drawn into the case of Melisandre Harris Dawes, a woman who allowed her daughter to suffocate in a hot car one day whilst she sat by and did nothing. Found to be criminally insane, she has been living away from her other two daughters. Now back, she
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Though Hush Hush is the 12th mystery to feature journalist turned private investigator Tess Monaghan it can easily be read as a stand alone given its encapsulated story line.

In Hush Hush, Tess and her new partner, retired Baltimore P.D. homicide detective Sandy Sanchez, are hired to assess the security needs of Melisandre Harris Dawes, a woman who ten years previously had been charged with the wilful murder of her infant daughter. Having returned to Baltimore with an ambitious documentary maker
Meredith
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Hush Hush is a mystery that you wont be able to put down! The story focuses on PI Tess Monaghan who has been contracted to work for Melisandre Dawes, a former lawyer from an affluent background, who was declared legally insane for leaving her baby, Isadora, to die in a hot car 10 years ago in Baltimore. Having fled to South Africa and London after she was released from the mental institution, Melisandre has returned to Baltimore with the intention of making a documentary about the events that ...more
Deanna

I found this book to be a fairly decent read. Some of the characters were quite unlikeable. Of course some were meant to be that way. A mother pleads temporary insanity and wins her case after her baby dies after being left in a car in the heat. After being released the mother, Melisandre abandons her other two children and flees to London. Years later she decides to make a documentary on the issue of temporary insanity pleas. She leaves London to start the documentary and hopes to
Barbara
I like Tess and her life in Baltimore. I didn't like the main characters and wanted more from the characters that we usually see more of - Aunt Kitty and Crow.
Kristen
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-mystery, 2019
In Laura Lippman's Hush Hush, the 12th installment in the Tess Monaghan mystery series, this caper is so dark and creepy and could be straight from the news headlines. When Tess is hired to work the Melisandre Harris Dawes' defense, she never experienced working anyone like her before. Once acquitted for killing her youngest daughter Isadora by pleading guilty by insanity, she fled the country after she was acquitted from all charges. But when Harmony Barnes was in charge of shooting a ...more
Patti
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Raluca
This was the first book I read by this author. The cover plus the "New York Times Bestseller" tagline made me believe this would be a darker novel. Sure, the subject matter was dark - a mother leaving her baby in the car until the baby died of heat - but the way it was presented was a bit... superficial. Too light-hearted and easily glossed over. Not enough depth to it.

I guess that just how there's that stereotype about the dark, lonely, broody male detective, there seems to be a cliche about
Laurel-Rain
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twelve years ago, a young mother named Melisandre Dawes locked her infant daughter in the car on a hot day. The baby's death led to charges, but after a mistrial and then a retrial with a judge, the mother was found not guilty by reason of insanity.

After years of not seeing her older two daughters, Alanna and Ruby, now 17 and 15, Melisandre is seeking a reunion, facilitated by a filmed documentary that will capture the moment, along with her version of the story. Her story of the severe
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Did she or didn't she?

Melisandre was found not guilty, but was the charge of insanity the correct charge? How could anyone not be guilty of forgetting her child in a hot car?

After the trial, Melisandre left the country and lost custody of her other two children.

Melisandre returned years later, but when another murder occurred and she was present, she wasn't going to be going anywhere.

The characters in HUSH, HUSH were an interesting mix and most were not likable. Melisandre was evil and
Jeanette
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Groan, groan, groan. Being a Laura Lippman fan, I am super underwhelmed here. The best aspect was the interview form of the very first section. For me, the entire rest of the tedium was a down hill slide. It was a Mommy Blog meets social "awareness" amongst some uninteresting and off-putting characters.

Don't like this form of Tess, nor her food Nazi Crow, or any of the politico slant context assumptions either. But the most miserable departure is that she no longer high-lights Baltimore in the
Barbara Nutting
Most confusing book Ive ever read - I stuck with it to be un-confused, which never happened. It was so disjointed and filled with innuendos I kept thinking I missed something. Still dont get what the kids books had to do with it??? This is the second Laura book I have read, first one with Tess - hated every character, I would have put Carla Scout in a hot car with a package of Twinkies and a Coke. What an obnoxious brat.

This book had the same formula as Every Secret Thing - 2 young girls, then
Nik Korpon
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I read a Lippman novel, and twenty pages into HUSH HUSH, I found myself saying, "Why the hell did you wait so long?" It's nice to see the how Tess has matured in the years since I last read her, and a little scary to see my own kids reflected in Carla Scout. The way Lippman balances crime, family dynamics, old vendettas, an affinity for Baltimore (my hometown as well), and social commentary is something I aspire to.

The downside of this book is that my TBR pile is huge
Dez Nemec
May 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Not doing so hot lately. I'm halfway through this book, and while I liked the other Tess Monaghan novels that I've read, but I feel like this one fell flat. In 150 pages, all they have done is film a documentary about a woman who killed her daughter, probably wanted to kill the other 2, and is overall just a crappy human being. There's a bit of other stuff thrown in here and there, but nothing has really happened yet. I just can't bring myself to care and keep going. Another DNF.
Jessica
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I think I slightly prefer Lippman's recent standalones to this series, Tess's transition into motherhood and how it impacts her thinking in this case resonated powerfully for me. I love seeing Sandy return from After I'm Gone to be just the sort of grounded, steady foil Tess needs in her newly-harried existence and I'm eager to see where Lippman takes that relationship.

While Lippman stands a good chance at capturing fans of Gillian Flynn and Sophie Hannah through her exploration of the
Monica
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While it is nice to have another chance to spend time with Tess and her gang, I did not find this to be one of the stronger books in the series. Tess is still struggling with the logistics and the emotional cost of motherhood, but her life is mostly going well.

Tyner hires Tess on to work for Melisandre Dawes, a beautiful wealthy diva who was found not guilty of murder when she left her infant daughter to die in a parked car a decade ago. Tyner is jumping to follow her wishes, protective, almost
Donna
Goodreads Giveaway.

I've been away from Lippman's Tess Monaghan series for quite awhile and lots of changes have taken place in Tess's life, still I could jump right in and enjoy the sites and sounds of Baltimore as I got reacquainted with Tess.

As many have said this book is really about parents and children, mostly mothers and daughters, with a heartbreaking crime/accident as the focal point. Layer upon layer of secrets and misunderstandings are revealed and examined as Lippman works to a
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I immensely enjoy Hush, Hush by Laura Lippman and if I had actually bothered to look I would have known I was jumping into the 12th Tess Monaghan book. On the upside I have a new to me series to begin and I will now go back and begin with book one, Baltimore Blues, so I can see the character of Tess Monaghan unfold as Lippman intended.
Jodi
Aug 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hated-it
I didn't like this at all. I've read other books by Lippman and really enjoyed them but this was boring. This was my first book in this "series" and I found it really hard to get through. The story could have been interesting but really nothing interesting happened.
Jennifer Holliday
Boring. Just simply boring.
Michael
In the day of social media, it's hard to a book by one of my favorite authors to slip under my radar. So imagine my pleasant surprise when I wandered into my local library one day to find that not only had Laura Lippman published a new book but that it was reading and waiting for me on the new books shelf. And not only that but it was a chance to check in again with journalist turned private eye Tess Monaghan.

Years ago, Melisandre Harris Dawes left her daughter unattended in her car on a hot
Patty
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hush Hush
By
Laura Lippmann

Key characters...

Tess and Crow and their daughter...Carla Scout...are the main and most complicated characters in this book. And then there is Melisandre...oh my...and Harmony...the reality documentary film maker.

Settings...

This author just loves Baltimore and other than a quick train trip to NYC...this book takes place in Baltimore.

Simply put...what's going down...

Sandy...retired policeman and Tess...are investigators. In this book they are hired to try to work with a
AUDIO EDITION 1 2 Feb 02, 2017 07:45AM

• Past Perfect
  • What Rose Forgot
  • Murder at Longbourn (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #1)
  • Designated Daughters (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #19)
  • The Book of Killowen (Nora Gavin, #4)
  • Daykeeper
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
  • Il-Ġenn li jżommni f'sikti
  • Fittixni
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • Do No Harm (Dr. Katie LeClair #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • Ir-rota daret dawra (kważi) sħiħa
  • Pursuit
  • il-linja l-ħadra
  • The Benefit of Hindsight (Simon Serrailler, #10)
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
Laura Lippman is a New York Times bestselling novelist who has won more than twenty awards for her fiction, including the Edgar Awardand been nominated for thirty more. Since her debut in 1997, she has published twenty-one novels, a novella, a childrens book, and a collection of short stories. Her books have been translated into over twenty languages. LitHub named her one of the essential female ...more

Tess Monaghan (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Baltimore Blues (Tess Monaghan #1)
  • Charm City (Tess Monaghan #2)
  • Butchers Hill (Tess Monaghan #3)
  • In Big Trouble (Tess Monaghan #4)
  • The Sugar House (Tess Monaghan #5)
  • In a Strange City (Tess Monaghan, #6)
  • The Last Place (Tess Monaghan #7)
  • By a Spider's Thread (Tess Monaghan #8)
  • No Good Deeds (Tess Monaghan #9)
  • Another Thing to Fall (Tess Monaghan #10)