Start by marking “Red: A Crayon's Story” as Want to Read:
Red: A Crayon's Story

Red: A Crayon's Story

A blue crayon mistakenly labeled as "red" suffers an identity crisis in the new picture book by the New York Times–bestselling creator of My Heart Is Like a Zoo and It's an Orange Aardvark! Funny, insightful, and colorful, Red: A Crayon's Story, by Michael Hall, is about being true to your inner self and following your own path despite obstacles that may come your way. Red ...more
Published February 3rd 2015 by Greenwillow Books

Raeleen Lemay
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia
This was a fantastic birthday gift to myself! It's such a lovely story about accepting people for who they are and I loved it.
Carmen
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book for children about being transgender, is

Wait, what? I thought this was about crayons.

Yes. A blue crayon with a red label. A crayon that "presents" as red but colors blue and leaves everyone confused and baffled.

I mean, no matter what Red tries to do, he colors blue. That's just him. He's blue. Even though he's in a red label. However, neither him nor any of his friends and family can understand this.

His teacher thought he needed more practice.

She encourages him to draw strawberries, b
Betsy
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Almost since their very conception children’s books were meant to teach and inform on the one hand, and to inform one's moral fiber on the other. Why who can forget that catchy little 1730 ditty from The Childe’s Guide that read, “The idle Fool / Is whipt at School”? It’s got a beat and you can dance to it! And as the centuries have passed children’s books continue to teach and instruct. Peter Rabbit takes an illicit nosh and loses his fancy duds. Pinocchio stretches the truth a little and ends ...more
Pooja
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Who thought I was going to like this one so so much!

Red: A Crayon's Story worth finding out!

Sometimes, we never realize our potential until motivated by others. And if people around you are discouraging, the game changes.

This story shows how important it is to be with encouraging and supportive friends and family.

Archit Ojha
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Many a times we start believing what others tell us, without giving it a thought that they can be wrong. Their suggestions can be wrong and they might be advising it unintentionally. Because most of the advice are generalized. It may or may not hold true for everyone.

Red : A Crayon's Story teaches the value of encouraging others. Because you never know how and who can do what wonders!
Jen
I suppose this review has spoilers...if a picture book can have spoilers...

On the surface it's a heartwarming story about a crayon whose label says "red" but is really blue.

Dig a little deeper and it's a story about being true to yourself and learning who you are.

Let's go one more level, and I don't know if this is how it was intended by the author or not but this is how I instantly saw the book before I even opened the cover: This is a book about/for kids struggling with gender identity. As a
Sara Grochowski
In this new picture book from Michael Hall, one crayon has spent his whole life believing he’s red, until the day a new friend allows him to see beyond his label and realize he’s been blue all along. This book looks deceptively simple, but, underneath the cover, readers young and old will find an inspiring story about joy of being true to oneself. I want to hand this book to everyone who walks through the door.
Emily
“He was red…but he wasn’t very good at it.” So begins this beautiful, moving story about a blue crayon that’s been labeled “red” due to a factory mistake. Unable to see beyond his red label, the other crayons and art supplies keep expecting and demanding certain things of him, but no matter how hard he tries to match the label assigned him, the crayon simply can’t be—and isn’t, and never will be—red.

Everyone has something to say about the crayon:
‘Sometimes I wonder if he’s really red at all.’
مــــــروة
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"أحمر" هو قلم وُضع عليه ملصق يفيد أنه أحمر، ولكن القلم المسكين يفشل دائماً في أن يكون أحمراً، كلما حاول، لا ينفك لونه أن يكون أزرقاً.

تحاول معه معلمته ليتدرب أكثر: "هيا ارسم فراولات حمراء"، ولكنه يرسمها زرقاء.

تحاول والدته أن تجعله يختلط مع قرينه الأصفر، ولكن النتيجة تكون لوناً أخضراً بدلا من اللون البرتقالي المنشود.

تبدأ محاولات الجميع لجعله أفضل حالا، الجد والجدة، صديقه المقص، والمبراة، ولكن لا فائدة.

يصمه البعض بالكسل لأنه لا يتدرب بما يكفي، يصمونه بالغباء، وعندما شك أحدهم في كونه أحمرا، رد عليه
Mathew
Red is a crayon unlike his peers. Whilst everyone around him is able to colour in with the title given to them be it: berry, olive, scarlet or brown, Red just keeps churning out blue. Those around him think they are being helpful, even the narrator, by encouraging him to keep trying or to persevere since it will come to him in the end. Red, however hard he tries though, keeps producing blue. It is only when a new friend comes along with an insight far greater than Blue's current family and frien ...more
haley
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A positive message about learning to accept who you are instead of trying to be something you're not because everyone else tells you too. The illustrations are a little simplistic, and the dialogue might be confusing for little kids since there's no dialogue tags indicating who says what (the dialogue is just above the speaker). But over than that, I thought it was pretty cute.
Emkoshka
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would suggest that perhaps Crayola is secretly commissioning positive psychology picture books about crayons with identity issues to boost its sales. But then again, maybe it's just a coincidence that Drew Daywalt/Oliver Jeffers and Michael Hall are all writing/drawing about crayons in crisis, whether abandoned, lost or just plain confused by being mislabelled. The core message of this book is: be who you really are, not what the packaging says you should be. P ...more
Kristine Hansen
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good book about being true to yourself. A mislabeled crayon tries to fit in. What I loved was how none of the other crayons seemed able to see what was right in front of their eyes - that regardless of everything that was tried, Red colored blue. I think there are children that will definitely see themselves in this book - and more importantly will see those who are different around them and accept them for who they ARE, not as they should be. This book has a lot of applications - be it regard ...more
Janice
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How many times have you been told that if you just try a little harder? Work a little more? Do something everything will be fine. For Red the Crayon, it’s all he’s ever heard. After all, his label says “red”, therefore it’s his fault he can’t color in red. But what if it’s not? What if someone made a mistake? All it takes in one crayon asking him to color in blue for the truth to be revealed. Just one crayon is needed to really look at him and realize what the problem. Sometimes that’s all we ne ...more
Adrienne Pettinelli
So this book had me from the moment I realized it is narrated by a pencil, but I like the book's overall approach of talking to preschoolers about the futility of trying to make someone be what they are not. The worn-down grey and silver grandparent crayons crack me up. The spread with all the child-crayons' self-portraits is my favorite--Hall captures kid art there.
Areeba books and kids
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-releases-17, kids
this was such a cute book. my kids kept saying but he's blue (spoiler,lol). there is so much to learn from this simple book. its gonna go down as one of the finest picture books for kids.
David Schaafsma
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The whole family will read all these Goodreads Children's Illustrated book nominees for 2015 and rate all of them.

This is colorful, like The Day the Crayons Quit, or Eric Carle's colorful and simple stuff, with pretty simple art and a relatively simple and kinda preachy point to it all (if you are labelled red, you may in fact really be--born this way--blue), but it was fun and I thought cleverly written, and as to the didacticism, well. . .he calls it, cleverly, in the way of serious glbt memo
Kristine Hansen
Again, a book that my review has been eaten by Goodreads. What gives, Goodreads?

This book was amazing. It says so much about labels and the boxes we put our kids in. Saw so many applications (while the majority run to transgender, but there's a broader spectrum (see what I did there?) than that).

I had a much longer review with more thought put into it. Muzzy headed with a cold as I am right now, this will have to suffice. Perhaps I can revisit this book someday and write something a bit more th
Jessica
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, own
Cute book about being yourself, told as the story of a blue crayon that was mistakenly labeled red. I love the comments the other crayons make admiring his work, parodying the things that gallery-goers say about artists.
June
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: color and identity requests
Recommended to June by: Lizzie
A blue crayon, mislabeled red, has problems until he meets a new friend, who realizes what he can do.

Something new for my colors story time. 6/11/15

Might have been a bit much for my young story time crowd or maybe do it as the first book instead of as the third.
Eli
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2016
This was such a touching story. It's about finding support from other's who give you the strength to be your true self and stop conforming to societal norms. Books that have deeper meanings like this will always be my favorite children's books.
Maxwell Rae
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Geez these crayons get around
Susan
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A perfect read-aloud for all ages. I saw it recommended by Donalyn Miller, and it looked like a book after my own heart. It was!

Red is a blue crayon who is sadly mislabeled red at the crayon factory. No matter how hard he tries, everything he draws turns out blue. His mother Olive thinks he should mix with friends. His teacher Scarlet thought he needed more practice. His grandparents Silver and Gray thought he wasn't warm enough.

The wonderful parallels in this book truly hit home. He is lazy. H
Elisabeth
I loved this so much. I’m such a sucker for school supplies, plus the crayons’ comments and Blue’s grit and perseverance were fabulous.
Colleen
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, prek-2, lgbtqia
Although a metaphor for being trans, Red's story is more universally about not being who others expect you to be no matter how hard you try and the need to just be you! Really sweet and endearing.
Aneesa
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Me: Is this about gay pride or being an artist?
Andrea: It's about not labeling people.
Megan
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
My 8-year old and I reserved all of the Caldecott contenders for 2015 from the library so that we could have some time enjoying and ranking them before the official winners were announced.
I think this book was an effort to capitalize on the enormous success of the book, "The Day The Crayons Quit." Red is another crayon story, illustrated in crayon drawings, cut paper, and the digital manipulation of the two.
The story line is about a blue crayon, who is factory labeled with a red label. No matter
Tasha
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A blue crayon labeled as red is not very good at being red at all. His fire trucks were all wrong. He thought more practice might help, but his strawberries didn’t look anything like Scarlet’s. When he tried to mix with other colors, like Yellow to make orange, it turned very green on him. His parents tried to warm him up with a scarf, but it didn’t work either. Everyone had advice for him, like just trying harder or sharpening himself to a new point. Nothing made any difference. Then he made a ...more
Sandra
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Red was a crayon, but he wasn't very good at being a red crayon.
Despite his efforts, his parents and teacher help, and his grandparents advise, he just couldn't be a good red crayon. It took Red many disappointments and failures to realize it was nothing wrong with him. He just was blue. When he discovers he IS actually good at being Blue, everything looks easier and more pleasant, and it becomes obvious for everyone what a talented blue crayon he is.
What made Red a "loser" was that he couldn't
Liz B
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
There are certain things you will never be able to do, no matter how much you try. Your teacher can model, your parents can encourage, your friends can help, but there's just no point. Give up quickly and only do the things that you're naturally good at and meant to do! That's the road to happiness.

(I hated the book.)

My son, thank goodness, was less grumpy about the book. He thought that maybe the message was more like "you might be one way on the outside but another on the inside." He still did
  • This Day in June
  • Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress
  • My Pen
  • If You Plant a Seed
  • Sidewalk Flowers
  • Wolfie the Bunny
  • Sam and Dave Dig a Hole
  • Families, Families, Families!
  • The New Small Person
  • Last Stop on Market Street
  • Jacob's New Dress
  • Boats for Papa
  • Float

Michael Hall is the author/illustrator of The New York Times bestseller, My Heart Is Like a Zoo, as well as the critically acclaimed Perfect Square, It’s an Orange Aardvark, Red: A Crayon’s Story, and Frankencrayon.

Before becoming a children’s author, Michael was an award-winning graphic designer whose work — i