Start by marking “Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)” as Want to Read:
Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)

Peace Talks

(The Dresden Files #16)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  23,880 ratings  ·  2,973 reviews
Harry Dresden is back and ready for action, in the new entry in the #1 New York Times bestselling Dresden Files series. When the Supernatural nations of the world meet up to negotiate an end to ongoing hostilities, Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, joins the White Council's security team to make sure the talks stay civil. But can he succeed, when dark ...more
Published July 14th 2020 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Peace Talks, please sign up.
Ian Armstrong Short version: Anyone can rate a book they haven't read yet, and that includes books that aren't out. It's a flaw of Goodreads.
Allie Mcelynn To Quote the man himself its about a:

To Quote the man himself its about a:

"A summit of the world's supernatural powers is being held to try to establish some sort of equilibrium and to get everything settled down in the wake of the vanishing of the red court. And I'm pretty sure everyone's going to sit down and have a nice cup of tea, there'll be a talk, and walk away holding hands." (less)

·  23,880 ratings  ·  2,973 reviews

Start your review of Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
Bradley
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My dear friends, I just finished reading Peace Talks.

Yes, I finally read a book that I (and approximately 1k other reviewers) have been so vocal about wanting ever since Skin Game.

If I was going to be super precise about the actual waiting time, I'd say it's a TON. For those who like to challenge themselves with a little basic math, the last Dresden novel came out in May of 2014.

And so, when I got an ARC for this, I spit out my soup in surprise and started screaming.

You understand. It's just
Eric Allen
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

TL;DR is that this book is kinda meh. It picks up at the end, but that doesn't really save it from mediocrity. This book feels like one of Butcher's Dresden novellas or short stories stretched out into full novel length, but lacking enough substance to be interesting once lengthened.

It's been about 7 years since the previous book in the series, and I haven't reread any of the other books in the series during that time. I may need to go back and read some of them, or at least look up a
Robert Brown
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Butcher risks declining interest in the Dresden Files. He's got such an interesting "world," with huge potential stories and story-lines that he's setup, and an interested fan-base. However, with the snail's pace publishing of the "adult" version of the Files, Butcher is risking a growing disinterest as readers turn to other authors/books that are a bit more proliferate. Certainly, I find my interest in the next book to be fading as time moves on: it is not something I'm burning to buy as soon ...more
Petrik
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/petrikleo

Stunning finish and setup for the next installment, but Im not sure whether this shouldve been divided into two books or not.

Some of you who follow my on Goodreads or Booktube most likely would know that this year, for me, is the year of reading The Dresden Files. Unlike many fans of the series, I didnt spend six years waiting for Peace Talks, the long-awaited sixteenth book in the series, to come out. I did find
Serack
Jul 06, 2014 is currently reading it
Edited 9/23/15
Jim said at yesterday's reddit AMA that the manuscript is due January 1st. Generally a 4 month turnaround is necessary after that, 6 preferable. Penguin has managed to bring that down to as low as 1 month, but that is unlikely. (Props to "Priscellie" for most of the above info).

Here is Jim's 50 word summary of what Peace Talks is about:

"The various supernatural powers are gathering together in Chicago to kind of hash things out in the wake of the Red Courts destruction and all the
Luffy
Unsalvageable. I'm tempted to tell Jim Butcher to go screw himself, because he sure screwed his faithful. What's more, most of his fans are rating this book, praising it to the heavens.

There was an overemphasis on Mouse, the dog, and mention of a threesome, twice. If that kind of events happened in the author's life, then spice it up a little before serving it.

I know Butcher is a terrific writer, and I can see myself giving 5 stars to Battle Ground, but my personal opinion on this garbage book
Sheyla ✎

Fantastic!

Six years I waited for Harry to come back. SIX YEARS!!!!

Was it worth the wait? For me? ABSOLUTELY. I loved every second of it. There's intrigue galore, amazing characterization. Awesome dialogue.

Peace Talks made me happy in all kinds of ways. I got my fix of some Thomas, Molly, Michael, Maggie, Mouse, Lara Raith, Marcone, Waldo, Mab, Justine, you name it, it was there. Best, I was listening to James Marsters for almost all of the book. He is just superb as Harry and the other forty
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[4.5/5 stars] Peace Talks was everything I hoped it would be and more. Totally worth the wait! ^_^ Especially because were getting TWO Dresden novels this year (Battle Ground is currently slated for release September 29th!).

The last few Dresden novels have been hit or miss. Ghost Story and Cold Days were by-far my least favorite books in the series. I briefly considered abandoning it, but then Skin Game (possibly the best of the series PARKOUR!!) came along and fuego! total re-ignition. I didn
Ashley
Update 7/20/20: No fifth star here, folks. What we've got here is a part one of two situation. This is basically the first book in a duology inside the series proper, with Battle Ground being part two. We now know why the surprise second book! And I can't fully judge this one until I see how (most of) it turns out. Luckily September 29th isn't that far away.

I had to step away from this one for a bit to try and see what Butcher was going for, since it's such a huge change of format for him. All
Andrey
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bad, urban-fantasy
tl;dr Weakest book in the series since at least Fool Moon. Reads more like a jumbled mess of three separate prologues generously padded with filler than a complete story in its own right.

What a massive let down. I found the last few entries in the series disappointing but still serviceable. This was so much worse. It has all the weaknesses of the Dresden series cranked up to eleven while most of the things I love about it are missing and it is a frustrating mix of a clip show filler episode and
Michelle
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: dresden-files
Dear Jim,

Thank you for making 2020 a little better. I would hug you but that will be breaking CDC guidelines, so I'll just wish you well!

Bob's Avid Fan
Mike's Book Reviews
Video Non-Spoiler Review Here: https://youtu.be/Un2nwszbcSA
Video Spoiler Review Here: https://youtu.be/D_MrMqtF3jc

Read from an ARC courtesy of Penguin Random House in exchange for an honest review.

Over 6 years after the release of Skin Game, Peace Talks has arrived; did it live up to the hype? Well I was one of the lucky ones who binged this entire series in 6 months and then got to read it literally the day after finishing Skin Game, so I wouldn't take my opinion on that answer as gospel. But
Jilly
It's been years since the last book in this series was published. I had basically written it off because the author was writing another series and seemed to just dump Harry Dresden and then ghost him.

Which we know Harry has been there/done that with the ghosting thing.

So, I was honestly surprised that it happened. And, it took me around 1/4 of the book to just remember all of the details that were going on before the series was like a Han Solo decoration to Jabba for years. There was a lot of
Emma
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Peace Talks picks up right after Skin Game, quickly setting up the first in a whole new set of challenges. Considering this instalment follows the best book in the series by far and a seriously long break, there were a lot of expectations to live up to. Butchers answer is to offer the typical Dresden novel with a few significant twists. It takes some skill to produce something that feels the same AND different, cosy and surprising. I read the whole book straight through, loving every
Hannah Greendale
It's officially time to retire from this series. The sexism is relentless. It's especially prevalent in the audio book where sudden shifts in inflection, volume, and tone indicate late edits to the book that had to be recorded separately. Most of them concern the perfection of a woman's skin, the curve of her body, the way she draws the eye as she walks across the room, her sensual voice, or the way she sends Harry into a fit of lust. These edits in no way enhance the narrative, but they do ...more
Krista D.
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
(deleted because of stalker assholes)
Phrynne
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2020
I wish I had known when I started this book that it is really part 1 and part 2 is coming out in September. I kept worrying all the way through about how all the drama could possibly be resolved in so few pages. Because there was lots of drama. And not enough pages.

There was a lot of political maneuvering and lots of overly talented magical people glaring at each other with steely eyes. And then there was Harry, Karrin, Butters, Michael, Molly, Thomas and all the rest playing their parts and all
Chad
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Boy, it's been a long time since I've got to sit down with Harry Dresden and his loyal friends. Thankfully, this was like meeting up with old friends you haven't seen in years. Within minutes, it was like no time had passed at all. A lot has changed in The Dresden Files over the years. I love how each book builds off one another and Butcher revisits old foes, frenemies, and plotlines, sometimes years later. Reading these books is such a rewarding experience.

I'm not going to say much about the
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I'M AT THE EDGE OF MY SEAT!

cliffhanger ending, WTF!
Hyzenthlay
May 21, 2014 marked it as to-read
Now that I've read Skin Game (and Jim's confirmed that this one will be more about Molly as Winter Lady (view spoiler)) I'm even more looking forward to this one.

What I'm not looking forward to? The constant bitching that it's going to be "A WHOLE YEAR" til this one comes out.

Stop being that asshole that whines about how long it takes an author to write a book. They get rushed, the story suffers.

Just shut up.

Skin Game's not even out yet, and I'm trying to keep my TBR
Steven
Super extra special thanks to Netgalley and Berkley for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Christmas is coming early this year, everyone. TWO DRESDEN FILES books after years of waiting. Step aside, George Martin. Feel ashamed, Patrick Rothfuss. Jim Butcher has you beat. He went through a dry spell with quite a bit of personal turmoil and came out the other side writing a book so long it had to be split into two. Take notes, authors.

This one was fantastic after
Kari Mcmanus
Mar 17, 2019 marked it as to-read

Whys Peace Talks Taking So Long?
(An explanation, so you can stop emailing complaints to the feedback box, which doesnt reach Jim, and mainly just frustrates the folks running this site.) Personal problems/life events spanning the past several years are what gummed up the works.
Got divorced, with all the fallout that comes from that.
His dog died, who was the brains of the operation as Jim tells it.
Got engaged, then remarried.
Moved to another state to live with his fiancee, now wife.
Lived in an
Spencer Orey
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely more of a part 1 of 2 than a complete book in itself. I'm glad the next one is coming out so soon so we can see what happens.
Nick
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for this book.

My first thought when I heard the title was "Knowing Harry Dresden, why isn't it called 'Piece Talks'?"

14/07/20
Worth the wait. Bring on Battle Gounds! Oh look, my rating didn't change.
Jules
Update: 17/8/20. How many years have I waited? Too many, I had forgotten characters and events. I mean, it was good. I really did enjoy it. But the wait was killer. Glad to have another book this year.

Update: 3/6/17. No cover. No date. For way over a year. I don't think it's ever coming out, folks...

Update: 24/3/16. Uhh, the date has disappeared... and there's no cover. Sh*t is about to get real up in here, methinks.
description

May 10.... 2016? Are you kidding me right now?

description
Lisa Wolf
A decent plot and plenty of quippiness, as always -- but the entire book feels like set-up for whatever comes next. Like, maybe Jim Butcher wrote one long book, and then decided to break it in half, so we get Peace Talks now and Battle Ground next month? So long as the pay-off is good, I guess I'm okay with that, but Peace Talks on its own feels only half-done.
Mike (the Paladin)
Well crap.

How many times have I expressed my displeasure with cliffhangers????? How many times!?

Yep we end sort of right in the middle of "stuff" and while I realize the next book is scheduled for release next month...it's still...troubling.

Other than that however (and of course I must mention after such a long wait [it's like Jim Butcher thinks he deserves a life or something]) this is still Harry. I must admit that it took just a little longer for me to "fall in with" the rhythm of this volume
Sarah's Reviews
Aug 20, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: publishing-2016
I've put together a compilation of everything I've found that Jim has said about Peace Talks.
You can see it here (http://ssbookreviews.blogspot.com/201...) if you're interested.
If you've heard something I missed, I would love to hear about it!
Wanda
Jim Butcher wastes no time making nice before dropping bombs into Harry Dresden's life. Within 100 pages, Harry's apartment building is on fire and his daughter is threatened. Butcher is excellent at applying pressure to his characters, but he shows a special talent for thinking up seemingly impossible dilemmas for Harry to finagle his way out of.

There's the usual humour, of course. That's one of the main attractions of urban fantasy for me. Things may be turning to shit all around him, but
John Driscoll
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
My original comment before this book was released, which is where any likes on my review probably came from, is at the end.

After six long years, this book is out! Except, it's not the whole thing. The book grew large enough that the publisher split it into two books. The second half, Battle Ground, will be published in September. I understand why they did it, but unfortunately that means Peace Talks is not a complete self-contained story and it really does show.

A lot has changed in Harry's life.

• The Glass Hotel
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • A Pale Light in the Black (NeoG #1)
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • Golden Threads
  • The Kingdom of Liars (The Legacy of the Mercenary King, #1)
  • Providence
  • White Sand, Volume 2 (White Sand, #2)
  • The Writing Life
  • Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1)
  • Naomi: Season One
  • Tigana
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • The Raptor of the Highlands (The Sylvan Chronicles, #3)
  • The Gripping Hand (Moties, #2)
  • The Call of the Sylvana (The Sylvan Chronicles, #2)
  • The White Road (Nightrunner, #5)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)

Articles featuring this book

When it comes to learning what's new in science fiction and fantasy, we turned to the experts. These are some of the genres' biggest...
“Home, like love, hate, war, and peace, is one of those words that is so important that it doesn't need more than one syllable. Home is part of the fabric of who humans are. Doesn't matter if you're a vampire or a wizard or a secretary or a schoolteacher; you have to have a home, even if only in principle-there has to be a zero point from which you can make comparisons to everything else. Home tends to be it.
That can be a good thing, to help you stay oriented in avery confusing world. If you don't know where you feet are planted, you've got no way to know here you're heading when you start taking steps. It can be a bad thing, when you run into something so different from home that it scares you and makes you angry. That's also part of being human.
But there's a deeper meaning to home. Something simpler, more primal. It's where you eat the best food because other predators can't take it from you very easily there. It's where you can your mate are the most intimate. Its where your raise your children, safe against a world that can be horrible things to them. It's where you sleep, safe. It's where you relax. It's where you dream. Home is where you embrace the present and plan the future. It's where the books are. And more than anything else, it's where you build the world that you want.”
7 likes