Start by marking “Paper or Plastic” as Want to Read:
Paper or Plastic

Paper or Plastic

Welcome to SmartMart, where crime pays minimum wage...

Busted. Alexis Dubois just got caught shoplifting a cheap tube of lipstick at the local SmartMart. She doesn’t know what’s worse—disappointing her overbearing beauty-pageant-obsessed mother for the zillionth time…or her punishment. Because Lex is forced to spend her summer working at the store, where the only things str
Published February 3rd 2015 by Entangled: Teen

To ask other readers questions about Paper or Plastic, please sign up.
Vivi Barnes Hi Ariah! I'm glad you enjoyed Paper or Plastic! As of right now, it's a standalone book. ;) But you never know!

Liz
I received a copy of this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

So, rich girl steals some lipstick and has to work at the place she stole it from for the summer. YA Contemporary isn't something that is brand new or comes up with new, revolutionary storylines, but it does push what you thought you knew about the genre. Our MC, Lexie, is rather self-aware when it comes to her trials and tribulations in life regarding her grandma's Alzheimer's disease, her mom's over-controlling page
Lindsey Rey
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, contemporary
[3.5 Stars]
I received this from Entangled Teen in exchange for an honest review.
nick
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

Oh this book! What a delightful little thing Paper or Plastic was! I enjoyed every minute of it and had butterflies in my tummy by the end.

I initially had some serious doubts about Alexis, our protagonist. She was caught shoplifting and in exchange for not reporting the case, the supermarket owner asks her to work for money at his supermarket, SmartMart. From the start, Alexis was quite condescending of the supermarket and the people working at the store. If she had maintained that attitude, it
Colette
A fun Summer read paired with serious issues that made the characters more dimensional. Some of the plot seemed repetitive, but overall the story kept me entertained. 3/5 stars.
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)

I saw this book on Goodreads not too long ago and thought that the whole premise sounded really great. After reading Nick's review a couple of weeks ago, I decided to jump right in. Paper or Plastic was such cute, sweet, feel-good young adult romance that left me with a smile on my face.

Alexis had her summer break all planned out. She planned on volunteering at a youth softball camp and hanging out with her friends, Syd, Court, and Bryce, at the pool. A lazy summer. All of this fell through whe
Lori
I loved this book! It was so much fun and romance-y and surprising and just enjoyable. I definitely recommend it for those days when you want a quick romance to get you through the cold days. Lex, the main character, was a bit off-putting in the beginning with her entitlement and bratty attitude but changed her ways by the end. And Noah was mysterious and hot and intriguing and sensitive enough for me to look past his overly-used name. There's also a few more serious issues looked at in this boo ...more
Danni Maxwell
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
That was quite the ending. I thought the twist would be different but I'm glad it didn't turn out the way I thought it would. And thought the twist was good it came out of nowhere? And it was a little rushed at times. But overall 4.5 stars. A review will come on my channel sometime soon.
Shannon (leaninglights)
Full Review: http://leaninglights.weebly.com/home/...
------
This one started really weak for me - I almost DNFd it but got about 50% through and the story picked up. I liked the climax of the story but felt it was unfinished. Still a cute and quick read though!
Gabrielle
Actual rating:3.5 it was super cute!
Sophia Sardothien
Overall Entertaining read, not the best but not bad either
Meredith
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-releases
Paper or Plastic was amazing, adorable and unputdownable! No, seriously, I read it in four hours! And I only put it down once to take care of the dog and do dinner! The characters in this book were all incredible and realistic and they all tugged at my heartstrings. Pair all that with Vivi Barnes' incredible writing and you've got a winner!

I loved Alexis (Lex). She's pretty, fairly rich and popular. She had some moments where she was a bit oblivious and didn't realize how fortunate she was compa
Sara Santana
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I absolutely ADORE Vivi Barnes. I was lucky enough to get an ARC of her debut novel, Olivia Twisted, which I thought was fresh and fun, and super addicting. You can actually read my review for that here. Naturally when I saw that Vivi was releasing a new book and that it was available on NetGalley, I immediately wanted it and was very excited when I got it!

I’ve worked at two grocery stores in my life, and so I immediately was totally in love with this book. This is the horrors and hilarity of wo
Michelle
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, read-to-review, arc
ARC provided by publisher in exchange of honest review

[image error]

Paper or Plastic by Vivi Barnes was a light, sweet, cute read for all those YA readers. It was one of those books that really incorporated the themes of friendship, family, life, and a budding new romance.

#PoP

Alexis Dubios is a young teen who made a stupid mistake of shoplifting lipsticks at SmartMart and in order for her to not have this appear on her record, she has to work for SmartMart for the summer. It was not the summer vac
Marla Mei
Way too shallow for my taste, both the characters and the story. I tried. But then I still ended up skimming a lot of pages. This book is just not for me.
Jackie (Jackie's Book World)
***Review can also be found at Jackie's Book World*** :)

Rating: 4.5/5

Paper or Plastic was just a cute romantic read that will leave you wanting for more.

From the very start I was intrigued with the synopsis, it sounded very promising, and it did not disappoint at all. Every single character is put in the same setting, and as readers we get to see and learn their stories as well. SmartMart is widely known for its employees, and for the events that happen there that others would find laughabl
Michelle
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

Paper Or plastic is a story about a teenage girl that gets caught shoplifting with her friend and as a punishment, she has to work at the SmartMart, a very uncool store in town, to repay her crime. The whole shoplifting incident happened very early on in the story so some of the details were a blur. But even so, I thought that Paper or Plastic was a very cute and fun fluffy contemporary. Great for a light read.

I thou
Morris
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Paper or Plastic” is exactly what it intends to be: a light ya romance and palate cleanser. It fulfills its purpose wonderfully.

The characters are engaging and fun, all of them with underlying issues that a revealed throughout the book. They grow a surprising amount as people given the length and lightness of the plot. It’s easy to find yourself relating to them in some way and I found myself more invested in their lives more than I expected to be.

The plot is solid and deals with some heavier i
Kristen Cansler
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-review, r2r
What an easy and lovable read! As someone who put in their fair share of time in retail hell, Paper or Plastic had me laughing and nodding along as I read. The situations and customers that Lex is faced with whenever she unhappily takes a job at SmartMart are realistic without being too heavy or overdone. This book was the perfect mix of humor, reality, and romance!

Lex has a lot to deal with at home; an overbearing mother, a bratty little sister, a passive father, and an ailing grandmother. I
Stacee
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it
The synopsis of this book was exactly what I was looking for at the time. I had just finished another book that still had me reeling a few days later and I wanted some sweet fluff.

I wasn't a huge fan of Lexie in the beginning. She comes across as really entitled and oblivious to how hurtful she is. It's only with her grandma that we see the real Lexie.

Of course there's a boy, and he's fabulous. Noah is definitely hiding some things and getting to know his story the way Lexie does was one of th
Christina Farley
I read and loved Vivi Barnes' OLIVIA TWISTED so I was eager to preorder my copy of PAPER OR PLASTIC, and boy am I glad I did! This story is utterly charming, compelling and fun. Such a unique concept and storyline. The characters made me laugh so hard. I read this book in less than a day. I'm eagerly waiting for more of Vivi Barnes' work.
Grace
Jul 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF at 78%

I don’t have the endurance to continue with this book, even if it’s the last 22%. The story was boring and just dragged. I’m having a challenging time just remembering what I’ve read, aside from the fact that it’s a story about a girl who works at a Walmart-type store with a boy she likes but can’t admit to. Sounds cute, but it’s not that appealing.
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Karen
Dec 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, for-review, read-2014, ya
Cute story and romance but I had a problem with Alexis's so called friends. I'm all for flawed characters and Alexis shows maturity over the course of the story but why is she friend with Bryce and Court? They don't really sound all that great to me - yet she has no problem calling out Noah's friends behavior.
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This book was a good fluffy contemporary book. I feel this would be a great summer read on a beach somewhere. I liked the family themes and it was overall a good read

I received this from Entangled Teen in exchange for an honest review.
Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
First off, I love this cover and I'd totally buy it in physical format just so I could stare at the cover the whole day. It's pink and white and pink and it's just so pretty! Secondly, I liked this book, a lot more than I thought I would. There were some things that prevented me from giving it a full five cupcakes, but other than that it was a story I took great pleasure in.

Paper or Plastic features Alexis Dubois, a sophomore that was recently caught shoplifting a tube of lipstick with her frien
iamagazalle.
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read is you're looking for a short, past timer. Not saying it's boring, but definitely not one of my favorites by Vivi Barnes.

Sincerely,
Fandavia21

P.S. Love this book? Check out Olivia Twisted and Olivia Decoded by Vivi Barnes!
malayna
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MY OPINION: *****

I LOVED this book! This is definitely one of my favorite contemporary reads of the summer so far! I thoroughly enjoyed this book through and through.

This book is about a girl named Alexis "Lex" who has made a mistake when she decides to go along with her friend and shoplift... stealing some lipsticks is what she gets caught doing. Her friend gets off easy because her dad is a lawyer, but Alexis is stuck working at the store she stole from, SmartMart, where only strange and weird
Moriah
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Alexis Jasmine Dubois did not plan on spending her summer in SmartMart, the store that attracts people of all kinds. When her friend Court convinces her to steal a tube of lipstick and then she gets caught, her only option is work at the store that has been at the punch of many jokes or have the event on her permanent record. With the thought of disappointing her beauty-pageant obsessed mother at the forefront of her mind, she accepts the job and is determined to make it through the summer. Whil ...more
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review can be found at The Book Bratz!

**Please note: I recieved an eARC from the publisher via NetGalley. All thoughts are my own**

Paper or Plastic is a light read, I blew through it in one sitting. I was impressed with this book, to me it felt like an almost acurate account of teenagers. Paper or Plastic is for someone who isn't looking for something heavy, but more of something fun and light.

When Lex gets caught shoplifting some lipstick with her friend Court she never expected her p
YA Buddy Readers'...: Paper or Plastic by Vivi Barnes Staring April 18th 2 8 Apr 18, 2015 08:14PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Apr 10, 2015 11:27AM

• How (Not) to Fall in Love
  • Anya and the Shy Guy (Backstage Pass #4)
  • Pixelated
  • Forever Now (Forever #1)
  • Mia and the Bad Boy (Backstage Pass #2)
  • Holding On and Letting Go (The Ties That Bind Us, #1)
  • Modern Monsters
  • Finding Perfect (Finding Perfect #1)
  • Aimee and the Heartthrob (Backstage Pass #1)
  • Of Stardust
  • Storm (Salt, #2)
  • Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru (Creative HeArts, #1; Sloane and Tru #1)
  • Lola Carlyle's 12-Step Romance
  • Losing at Love (Outer Banks Tennis Academy, #2)
  • The Unofficial Story of Kyle B. Johnston (Unofficial #2)
  • Abby and the Cute One (Backstage Pass, #5)
  • Under These Restless Skies
  • Why I Loathe Sterling Lane
Vivi Barnes was raised on a farm in East Texas where her theater-loving mom and cowboy dad gave her a unique perspective on life. Now living in the magic and sunshine of Orlando, Florida, she divides her time writing, working, goofing off with her husband and three kids, and avoiding dirty dishes.

Find her on her blogs: http://vivibarnes.com/ and http://4chicks.wordpress.com/

Find her on twitter: ht
“Our hearts connect with others all the time, the electricity zipping and zapping all over the place. We can't even sense it most of the time, but then we meet The One, and that's when the beat changes ever so slightly to match theirs. That's what they call a match – when the music inside your chest beats in synchronization with the one you're meant to be with.” 2 likes