Start by marking “Liebe Lucy” as Want to Read:
Liebe Lucy

Liebe Lucy

"Die beste Person, der du ein Geheimnis erzählen kannst, bist du selbst" Lucy ist ein ungewöhnliches Mädchen mit einem ungewöhnlichen Blick auf die Welt. Die Leute schütteln den Kopf über sie, sie ist viel zu langsam und immer fehlen ihr die Wörter. Aber dafür hat sie ja Jennifer, das sprechende Küken in ihrer Schürzentasche. Leider verhält sich Lucy nicht immer so, wie es ...more
Published March 11th 2014 by Atlantik Verlag (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Liebe Lucy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liebe Lucy

Lou
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
"We put our arms around each other. We become two circles that don't have any beginnings
or ends. Inside our circles she can be safe as the inside of the eggs."

Lucy a character from this story who was memorable and beautiful in her keen a unique outlook on her world. She has problems in reading and communicating, words don't come out so easily like everyone else that she encounters in her life, she has to think and rethink and then try to say what she feels as best as she can in words. She brin
Tania
the dirt that was underneath the car chases behind. the dirt doesn't want to be left behind. it liked the feeling of something touching it from above. it doesn't want that feeling to leave. But just because you want a thing to be yours doesn't mean it stops being able to leave.

3.5 stars. Dear Lucy started a bit slow, and it took me two or three chapters to get used to Lucy's unique voice. But once I got into it, I thought the author did an amazing job of getting us inside the head of a mentally
Alice Bola
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the strangest reviews I have ever written. I thought Dear Lucy was brilliant. The concept was remarkable. It was creative, well written and unlike anything I have ever read, expect for maybe Room by Emma Donoghue (read our review here). It was haunting and beautiful. I fully understand why this novel will get the critical acclaim it deserves. That being said, I did not like it at all. Shocking, right? I’m not mad I read it, in fact I highly recommend it.

I know it’s stran
Luanne Ollivier
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Lucy is Julie Sarkissan's newly released debut novel. I can't imagine being a first time author waiting for readers' reactions to your work. So Julie, let me say right from the top - I knew from the first few pages that I was going to love it.

Lucy has trouble communicating with the world.

"What's the matter with you?
I know that question.
What's the matter with you?
When someone asks you that question, there is no answer."

Lucy has been sent by her Mum mum to live on a farm with Mister and
Agatha
Jul 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oct 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What the HECK did I just read? Words fail.

Every single character was barking mad. Like, ok, Lucy is clearly meant to have some vague unspecified mental disorder, fair enough, but everyone else? Mister & Missus are scary-evil-crazy.
(**SPOILERS**)
He lets her talk him into impregnating their adopted daughter Stella, so they can fulfill her fanatical plan to have a son at whatever cost. Stella commits suicide whilst pregnant so they take in another young pregnant girl, Samantha, and plan to ste
latybug
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a First Reads offer.
I teach junior high, and every year I have students in my classes who are learning disabled, emotionally disabled, mentally disabled, or physically disabled. Sometimes they may have a combination of disabilities. While others have commented that it was difficult for them to read Lucy's voice, I actually liked her voice the best. It's hard to understand what is going on inside some of my students' heads (disabled or not) and I enjoyed being inside Lucy'
Julia Fierro
Brilliant. A book like no other. Daring in structure, particularly in point-of-view, voice and language, but truly successful in terms of meaning, emotional implication, psychological complexity and story. I read the last half of the book in one sitting!
I am proud of the writer for taking these ambitious risks and for her editor in seeing the great potential this book has to move many readers.
Cindy

“Sometimes the best thing you can do for your family is stay away from them.”

Lucy's mother has left her on the farm, thus turning her into "Lucy on the farm". Her mother, Mum Mum, tells her never to leave the farm or else she won't be able to find her when she returns.

Lucy on the farm only has one friend. Samantha. Samantha with her red hair and green eyes. Samantha with the baby growing inside her.

The farm belongs to Mister and Missus. They have agreed to take in Samantha and Lucy. All
Jaime Boler
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-favorites

I have never felt fiercely protective of a character before, but the urge to shield Lucy, the main speaker in Julie Sarkissian’s quirky, unique, and weirdly beautiful debut, Dear Lucy, overtook me. And there’s a good reason why: Lucy is developmentally delayed and has issues with behavior and language yet she is filled with determination and love. Lucy is limited, yes, but she looks at the world with wonder and sees it as full of possibility. Lucy is extraordinary and she certainly becomes spec
Andrea P.
This review and others can be found on Cozy Up With A Good Read

Lately, I've had a thing for books with a very unusual narrator. There was The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow, about a boy who could not speak and saw emotions and colours, and now there is Dear Lucy. Lucy is an interesting character, she is special and doesn't understand a lot about what is going on around her. Her mother has left her on this farm with "Mister and Missus" because she is not ale to take care of Lucy on her own. This st
Jeana
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While this was well-written, I did not care for the story at all. Too much icky, crazy stuff going on. Still, I pressed on to find out what happened to Stella and the baby at the end, and you never even find out. This was a cover buy but I probably should have considered the reviews a little more.
Laurie Larson-Doornbos
Samantha and Lucy spend their days and nights on the farm of Mister and Missus, little more than hired hands, but without the pay. They weed, stitch, gather eggs, feed the pigs. Both are sad souls, left on the farm's doorstep when no one else would have them. Samantha is sixteen and pregnant, waiting for the birth of a baby that won't be hers for long. Lucy is a child in a woman's body with a simple mind and sometimes violent temper. Even though mum mum locks her in the bedroom when she goes out ...more
Anne
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Elizabeth
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to read “Dear Lucy,” but one or two chapters in I was afraid I was going to be disappointed. Writing a book that is written in a very particular voice is risky, and I wasn’t sure Julie Sarkissian had succeeded. But soon I became less aware of the voice and absorbed in the story. Lucy’s voice became less of a distraction and was important to the story, allowing for some beautiful observations. Still, I was glad that there were two other narrators as well. Both Samantha and Missus we ...more
Jane
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book would have benefited from some serious editing and would have worked better as a short story or novella. While I found Lucy's innocent -- almost poetic observations -- of the world around her compelling in the first chapters, it wasn't long before I found the repetition tedious in the extreme. I also didn't understand Sarkissian's use of Jennifer the chicken as a key character -- I felt it was an unbelievable contrivance to move the story forward. All in all, not my favourite b ...more
Teresa
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
DEAR LUCY tells the challenges of a mentally challenged girl and society in general by touching on topcs such as depression, hypocrites, lying, selfishness and the lengths we will go to get the things we want no matter what the cost to ourselves and others.
Throughout the story, the main focus is Lucy and the challenges evolving around her. From the mother who loves her child, but is unable to care for her to the people who take advatage of Lucys' lack of understanding. The author not only tells
Cathe Olson
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so unexpectedly good. The story starts out fairly benign with a couple taking in a couple of girls -- one with special needs and one an unwed mother -- but as the book goes on, it just gets more disturbing and riveting that I really could not put it down. The author did a perfect job of dropping bombshells bit by bit so the whole situation just becomes more and more twisted and intriguing. I very much enjoyed this and will be waiting for more from this author.
Melissa
May 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book, but I could not connect with any of the characters...none of them had much redeeming value about them. Very uniquely written book, with multiple points of view, but many disturbing themes (particularly incest) which left me with a bad feeling in my stomach and made me dislike the book more than I probably would have without them.
Joanie Driemeyer
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked lucy a lot. I loved that she had a pet chicken named Jennifer. She was misunderstood by so many, and saw the world in such a unique way. Read it if you like unusual characters, and don't need trite happy endings.
Lucy
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an emotionally stunning book by debut author, Julie Sarkissian. Carson McCullers meets Faulkner. Sarkissian's voice is one you want to hear over and over again. I look forward to following her career.
Devon T
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an awesome book! I really fell in love with the main character and enjoyed her perspective a great deal. The language is lyrical and lovely, but the story suspenseful and surprising. I was amazed by where the author takes us. Such a delight!
Linda
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A STELLAR first novel! Brava!

This is a writer to watch.
Ape
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kelsey
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like other reviewers here, I thought the story was interesting but could not fully engage with any of the main characters. Lucy's voice is unique and the selling point of the book, but we understand how she thinks by the time we're twenty pages in-- we don't necessarily need the same circular descriptions about her thought processes when we're ready for some action later on in the book. The language of this book is very pretty, however.
(spoilers below)

Samantha sort of stops existing and being in
Jane
Jan 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I so wanted to read and enjoy this book but in the end struggled to get through it. All of the characters seemed very two dimensional, but the main stumbling block for me was feeling unconvinced by the central character. Being inside the head of someone with such a low IQ was, in my view too brave a choice. It worked to have highly different central characters in books like Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night , The Shock of the Fall, even Lennie in Of Mice and Men ( but two of these were hi ...more
Sara Goff
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Lucy is a gripping, endearing, and sometimes heartbreaking story about the severed bonds in four very different mother/child relationships. A grown woman, two teenagers, and a young girl with a learning disability find 'home' on a farm on the outskirts of a small, impoverished town. From there, their unique struggles and yearnings criss-cross and collide with the best and worst of intentions.

Sarkissian weaves letters, lies, rape, and abandonment, and a sense of loyalty stronger than one's o
Chinar
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meg
Nov 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no-one
There are things I like about this book - the main narrator (there are three, but the developmentally-disabled titular character takes up the majority of the book), and the talking chicken.

Other than that, this book is full to the brim of WTFery. The true story of what happened to Stella at the hands of Mister, seemingly choreographed by Missus and of which we never get the full details but we see enough to guess at the true horror, is the main one but Lucy's mother appears to be an absolute pie
Julie
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely give a one star rating. If the book is that bad, I usually quit reading. But this was a pretty quick read and I had invested enough time that I decided to stick it out. I should have bailed when Lucy started following the directions of a chicken.
A Suprise Package! Giveaway 1 5 Apr 02, 2014 10:52AM
  • Spark
  • Running with Cosmos Flowers: The Children of Hiroshima
  • Thursday Morning Breakfast (and Murder) Club
  • Going Back
  • More Things In Heaven and Earth (Watervalley, #1)
  • Jane, Actually or Jane Austen's Book Tour
  • Noah's Rainy Day (Liv Bergen Mystery #4)
  • He Never Liked Cake
  • Easter Island Sketchbook: An Artist's Journey to the Mysterious Land of Giant Stone Statues
  • Marijuanamerica: One Man's Quest to Understand America's Dysfunctional Love Affair with Weed
  • Missing: A Memoir