Start by marking “Fat (Labels, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fat (Labels, #1)

Fat

(Labels #1)

"You're pretty, for a fat girl." That's nothing Claire Howard hasn't heard before, and there's part of her that doesn't care, that thinks it's okay to love herself just the way she is. Then there's that other voice in her head, the one that plays on a constant loop that gets louder whenever people scrutinize her dinner order, snicker when she needs a belt extender on a pla ...more
Published May 5th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published May 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat

Kim
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard review for me to write. Not because I didn't love it because I totally and completely loved it. This book is fiction but I'm sure I'm not the only one that wondered when Saranna started following me around and listening into my brain. From the first line "you're pretty for a fat girl" all the way through the end I was back and forth emotionally. I only wish I was as brave as Claire, she'd been knocked down so many times yet she never truly gave up. What an amazingly strong charact ...more
Kate Sherwood
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
A quick, easy read, but not really all that satisfying.

First off, I never liked Keiran - I mean, his ONE good quality is that he cares about the heroine, as far as I could tell. Oh, he's gorgeous, of course, but if the theme of the book is that we should be able to get past appearances to see the person within (and I'm pretty damn sure that IS the theme, since I was beaten over the head with it throughout the book), then his good looks shouldn't really count as a quality, should they? So other t
Virginia Nelson
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saranna DeWylde managed to write a romance novel that is in turns the sexiest and most relatable romance that I, as a plus size gal, have ever read. Somehow, she managed to do all that while being poignant and profound. Truly a gifted author writing a story that any woman--fat, skinny, slutty, stupid--who has ever been marked with a label needs to read. I give this my very highest recommendation. Some books change the way you look at the world. DeWylde writes ones even more important, they chang ...more
Paige Prince
Loved

It's 2:45am. I have to be up at 5:00am. But I'm just now finishing Fat because I couldn't put it down. Thank you, Sara, for writing it. Every. Single. Thought. she had, I've had in my head. On repeat. For YEARS. I'm still not to a place where I'm in love with my body, but I'm far more accepting of who I am.
Anas Attic  Book Blog
Fat Saranna Dewylde
Fat (Labels #1) by Saranna Dewylde
Erotic Chick Lit (kind of). Stand Alone.

"You're Pretty. For a fat girl."

Immediately I was able to relate to the heroine in Fat (Labels #1) by Saranna DeWylde . I can't count how many times I've been told what a beautiful face I have (thanks, I know, the rest of me is hideous). Growing up with a gorgeous, skinny mom and two gorgeous skinny sisters don't help things.

I enjoy a book with a heavy heroine, though for some reason, I just can't stand a book that is
Kim
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this. It isn't so much a romance or love story, in the traditional sense. Claire is "pretty, for a fat girl". She's 5'10" and a size 26. She's opening a business designing her own clothing line called "Chubbalicious". She owns a house (her childhood home) and has a room mate, Kieran. He is her best friend and a stripper. He's loves the ladies and freely spreads the love. The only thing she's asked of him is not to do her friends. The story opens at a birthday bash f ...more
HC
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Claire is a woman that everyone can identify with.
We all have our insecurities and we all have been labeled at one point or another. And we all are our own worst critic.

I have been the "fat girl". People used to say hurtful things and just like Claire, I learned to push them down and pretend that I was unaffected. I have lost weight but I still see the fat girl in the mirror if I don't focus on the positives.
Reading Claire's story struck a chord in me. I felt like I was reading my own story and
Deborah
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I-loved-this! Saranna DeWylde has written a story that will resonate with a lot of people, people who are larger than some or smaller than some, too short, too tall. You know, the ones people try to label like they are produce. Well, words can hurt just as much as those proverbial sticks and stones and should be used with care.
"I decided then that words should be licensed the same as firearms because they were just as deadly."
Fat is ultimately a love story but not in the traditional sense. It i
Sheila
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You're pretty for a fat girl. Claire is dealing with that tape from her past as well as the present while trying to launch a clothing line for fat girls. She also is feeling more drawn to her roommate Kieran who keeps pushing her to dating his co-worker Brant. Claire's friend, April, wants Kieran. He and Brant are strippers. Can any of this work out?

I liked Claire. I could identify with her. She is not perfect. She has her flaw especially of listening to the tape in her mind but she pushes it ou
Michael Fagen
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't stop smiling

I've done something when I read Fat that I never did before. I intentionally stopped myself during my reading times so I would get more enjoyable times from the read. Saranna writes in such a way you can't stop laughing at "oh no he didn't just say that" and all the while you have these hopes where the story might wind up going but I was totally surprised with how Saranna chose to end this installment...SO looking forward to the next ones. Amazing read, hot sex, funny...
Tracey
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I can properly explain how wonderful I thought this story was, but I will try. It was a beautiful, emotionally poignant tale of a woman coming to grips with her demons, getting what she thought she wanted and finding out it was no good for her, and, then, rising like a Phoenix from the ashes, brilliant and more powerful than ever. Amazing writing! So well-done that I cannot wait to read it again and recommend it to all of my friends, my family and my daughter!
Audra
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. it was new adultish but not in a way that wasn't relevant as a thirty something. the author manages to tackle the issues at hand and leave the character able to continue to grow in the next book. I loved watching Claire celebrate even little accomplishments and I applauded irl the major ones.
Calila
I really wanted to like this more than I did.
Meg Ledbetter
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous read!

Checks all the boxes but especially the "I'm worthy!" one. Wylde writes a good love scene but the character's inner dialogue is what makes this book worth reading. You won't be disappointed!
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not the best writing, but a decent story, and kind of erotic in some places (which i may have known when i bought it but had forgotten about by the time i read it!)
Jaclyn Roche
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
I wish I could give this more than 5 stars.

Sara Wylde has fast become one of my favorite authors. Her voice is so unique and genuine. The labels series is ingenious, and the characters are so authentic and believable. This is the first book of the series that I have read and after reading this one, I cannot wait to read Slut. I sincerely hope Ms. DeWylde publishes more in this series.

I love Claire and how real and brutally honest she is. Written in the first person, we’re really able to get into
Jeni
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I was "sold" this book with the comment "that it would inspire all larger ladies to feel great about themselves", as a bigger lady myself I don't tend to find books like this, but I respected the person who said this, so I brought the book and read it.

The first third had me depressed, it was like the author was in my head, not that I hang out at a male strip club, but her self-depreciating thoughts and inner voice was just like mine. The middle section was seriously unrealistic and made me want
Kathryn
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fat is a love story, but ultimately not the one you'd expect. There is romance and more than a few moments of sizzling sex. Claire yearns for her roommate Kieran, who insists on pairing her with Brant. Claire's friend April has a thing for Kieran that's more than a passing fancy, and you watch the entanglements and sniping wear down on friendships and Claire's already battered self-esteem. This is a love story mainly because Claire takes the journey to loving herself - rolls, dimples, and all. I ...more
Karla Medeiros
Interesting

It certainly didn't end like I thought it would. But I'm glad for it. The character development was great, very realistic in that it shows the struggle people go through to learn to love themselves, no matter the weight/height/size. To try to get past the labels placed on us by society, other people, and even ourselves. It was also a little graphic in parts but that can be flipped by. I was expecting humor but was not too disappointed when the story turned out to be more serious. I st
Lori Meehan
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I saw this book on a blog and was very intrigued. I thought it was a ménage love story but it's more a love triangle with ménage sex scene. Its more about Claire learning to love the person she is with the help of her best friend Kieran and Brant the man who sees her for the beautiful women she is. It's a painful journey but one she is thankful for in the end.
I like my books to be wrapped up at the end with a HEA but it's more of what might be possible at the end.
I enjoyed the book it was my f
Tammy
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Claire was such a strong woman, and to feel like she was 'less' simply because of her size, well, it made me sad and angry. No one should have to feel like their choices are limited because of how much they weigh...or how tall they are. I liked that Claire realized how she herself was guilty of forming prejudices based on a persons physical aspects. I will most definitely be reading more from this author.
Charlotte Skibicki
Best BBW novel I have read!

Claire is a true BBW! I love that she truly comes to realize her success and happiness is not dependent on her size, though she realizes she will have to remind herself of that on a regular basis. I also loved that her happy ending was not dependent on a man and a relationship! Best BBW story I have read!
Ivy Deluca
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bbw
The Bottom Line
While not a real romance, unless you count the heroine learning to love herself, it was still a very touching novel. Surprisingly well drawn characters, and some hot chemistry between Claire, Kieran and Brant. Difficult to read due to the constant negativity in Claire’s inner monologue, but ultimately satisfying because it was about her journey to accepting herself as she is.
Rachel
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was a little concerned that this book would be poorly written and trashy. Now to be fair I was looking for trashy. I found this to be a book that I could understand align with and yet also transported me to different kind of life.A nice little erotica/romance novel and I look forward to reading the second in the Labels series -- it was quick and worth my time.
Mo_Better
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Finally a heroine that doesn't let the hero walk all over her and treat her like shit, even in the face of all her insecurities. Really liked that this book focused on the journey to loving herself first. There were things I didn't like and in the end the story itself was only okay. But Claire is a heroine I didn't want to smack,,who I could relate to, and actually like.
Captin Ossum
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome and cute story about a fat woman, the men in her life and her thoughts on her body.
It has some great contemporary references to the fat posi movement. As a fat woman myself I wish there were more books like these.
Ruth Fabiano
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read! A lot of issues that normally aren't written about- like people having mantras and faking confidence without actually absorbing it...especially about weight. Also liked who Claire kept in her life at the end without it being cliché. Brava Saranna!
Meredith
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2014, romance
This isn't really a romance. But if you've ever read The Militant Baker's blog and liked it then this would be right up your alley. It's maybe a little preachy but given the subject matter, why not be a little preachy about body positivity?
Maritza
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great story. Sting female protagonist made the story. Few books can grip me from the first line and I finished reading in 3 hours!
Only fault: the villains of the story. They are too predictable.
Mae Hanley
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book hit close to home. I found myself crying for Claire and for myself as I read the words people toss out without thinking. And it's always worse when it comes from a friend or a loved one.

So much of her story resonated with me. Loved it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Sodom and Detroit (Virtual Seduction, #1)
  • FAT GIRL (Perfectly Imperfect)
  • Learning to Live (Infinite Love, #1)
  • The Wrong Woman (Unexpected Love, #1)
  • Abbey's Sexual Adventure
  • Post Breakup Sex (Copperline, #1)
  • Fat Sex: The Naked Truth
  • Tuck & Cover (Rough Rangers, #2)
  • Against the Wall
  • Fat Chance (The Kingsley Series, #1)
  • Not That Type of Guy
  • Mercy (Judgment, #2)
  • My Life as a Sex-o-Gram: Book One
  • Geek with the Cat Tattoo
  • The Bargain (The Bargain, #1)
  • Bold & Beautiful (Future Alphas, #1)
  • Pandora
  • No Regrets, No Surrender (Always a Marine, #6)

Saranna De Wylde has always been fascinated by things better left in the dark. She wrote her first story after watching The Exorcist at a slumber party. Since then, she’s published horror, romance and narrative nonfiction. Like all writers, Saranna has held a variety of jobs, from operations supervisor for an airline, to an assistant for a call girl, to a corrections officer. But like Hemingway sa