Start by marking “Honor and Polygamy” as Want to Read:
Honor and Polygamy

Honor and Polygamy

Heartbreaking and timely novel by Afghan-American author follows one man's journey from New York to the clutches of the Taliban and into an unintentional polygamist union. "He is picking up the same bags with the same clothes Lisa packed and folded a year ago. He wishes he were like his clothes, untouched by external forces." Family man Nick Blake is living in New York Cit ...more
Published May 7th 2014 by iUniverse (first published May 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Honor and Polygamy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honor and Polygamy

Joseph Saleh
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A riveting dramatic story consisting of a heart-wrenching and much to realistic story. Honor and Polygamy truly captivated me in its engrossing plot. A definite page turner, author Farhad has a compelling voice throughout that remains with the reader long after reading. Read it, but expect some tears and controversy. An incredible point of view in the political field.
Peter Fischer
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His first book and hopefully not the last! Riveting, gripping and definitely thought provoking. A definite MUST READ for anyone at all interested what is happening and how people live, exist? in that part of the world.
No doubt there has to be a sequel on the way and I for one can't wait to read it.
Carine Engelbrecht
In the humble guise of a basic kidnapping drama, Honor and Polygamy by Omar Farhad progresses quickly to a multi-faceted exploration of the ethics, morals and emotional dimensions of the human soul, if tested by unusual circumstances, while doubling as a fascinating glimpse into the lives of everyday people in Afghanistan. Do any of us really understand how far we might be driven and what heart-wrenching decisions we might taken, if un-tethered from the comfortable existence we take for granted. ...more
Madge Gressley
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book truly captivating, riveting and timely. It offers the reader a view into the culture and traditions of the Afghan people not seen on the nightly news. It touches on the ever widening gap between the old traditions and the new generations lack of respect for honor and loyalty. It delves into one man's struggle to maintain his integrity and his fight for survival. Heart wrenching, realistic, and definitely thought provoking. Highly recommend.
Luonne Rouse
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I begun reading,so as to review for Omar Farhad, then finished reading satisfied to have read a well written fiction. I wept for the USA and everyone with unconditional love of nations. Mindful of how fiction speaks under or over reality, I cannot cast truth away as merely fiction. Non-functionality of fiction aside, I enjoyed following the adventures of "Goodness" unto a speechless outcome. I pray for a paradigm shift on the USA & the Middle East in sesrch World PEACE.
Jonathan
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
I received an e-copy from author in exchange for an honest review.What an amazing first novel from the author.I could hardly believe at times this was a work of fiction.Its written in such a real way you would think it was based on a true story.Amazing from start to finish.Highly recommend.

A huge thanks to author.
Aly Madhavji
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book, Omar has a gift of writing and this is a great fiction book. The author clearly uses his understanding and experience living in various parts of the world to help make the reader indulge into the book. Very captivating and definitely recommended!
MWBP
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Michael Trammel
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good novel to read. I like how the story is revealed, and how each character comes to life. The honor that's displayed here is a manifestation of how one should act if forced into a position like the main character in this novel. My hats off to the author for giving us a behind the scene look at how the people in the middle East views the U.S. involvement in their lands. Thanks Omar for this novel.
Joan Mitchell
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-have-won
This book held my interest from the first page. It was adventure, terror and love wrapped together in a gripping human story. It showed the horrors and realities of war from a perspective most people who have never been involved in war can even imagine. I read it in one sitting. I received this book through goodreads.
Othen Cummings
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an exciting book! I loved every page!
David Cook
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a tale to be told and Omar writes it perfectly. An honest account of the fortunes of the people caught up in the conflict.
Jennifer Loiske
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An honor to the people getting caught in the middle of the war. A book everyone should read!
David Beeson
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
The catastrophe of Nato intervention in Afghanistan: Honor and Polygamy is a tale well told by a man who knows the country first hand, making it a gripping novel and a powerful document.

Nick works for the UN and hasn’t long been back in the United States after a difficult mission in Afghanistan. To his despair, his boss turns to him to go back out there. Things go wrong within hours of his setting foot again in Kandahar, and he undergoes an ordeal that will transform him, though less through the
Maria Skyllas
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
*I received a copy of this book via Goodreads Giveaways. Thank you!*

The catchy title caught my interest right away. This was a very short read (124 pages), with a good suspense and a fast paced story. The writing is very simple, no bells and whistles. If you're looking for sophisticated literature, you might want to pass this one. But the style works for this type of story, even though it could be improved a little.

This book is about Nick, an American diplomat, married with kids, who goes to Af
Emily Livingstone
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nilab
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very passionate and insightful book about the US involvement in Afghanistan. The book shows a little bit of the reality of the so called democracy and liberation that the US supposedly gifted the Afghans. A very nice book with the most painful ending. I was shocked but not surprised. This has been the reality of millions of Afghans for over 30 years now. A beautiful first book Omar jaan and hopefully not the last. Wish you all the best
Omarfarhad
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hello friends,

I am the author of Honor and Polygamy A Novel. I want the readers to read my book and give their honest opinion. However, I also want to add, please read pass the first chapter and the more you read, the more the story evolves in the later chapters.

This is my first novel and I need your support. Your opinion matters even if it is a harsh one! I will use it constructively to improve and to grow.

Thanks
Omar Farhad

BuDom
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have had the honor of reviewing and interviewing author Omar Farhad about his novel Honor and Polygamy. Please click the link below to read the full review and interview. I hope you enjoyed the novel as much as I did.

Anna Othitis
Entertaining educational - a great job never experienced in fist world countries a flowing story line. Great worthy read emotional and an eye opener to many and interesting read Highly recommended read.
Sheryl Seal
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honor and Polygamy by Omar Farhad held my interest from the first page. This is a gripping story and I hope there will be a sequel!
Eddie
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining story that made me think.
Royah
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice book it is really sad keep up the good work .
Diane Coto
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nick Blake, working for the United Nations, had just returned to New York five weeks before, after spending six months in Afghanistan. His immediate supervisor and liaison for Afghan affairs, Bob Welch, calls Nick requesting he return to Afghanistan because his co-worker, Patrick, bowed out due to a family emergency. Nick has to leave in two weeks for another six months in Afghanistan. Nick and his wife, Lisa, hate even the thought of it.

Nick made it to Khandahar Air Field, but didn’t make his c
Jessica
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars. Easily. It is a very fast and interesting read. The author is very original and to the point.
I relate this book to those movies that put too many unnecessary details and plots into a movie just to fill time. The consumer says "the movie was great, but could have been so much better w/o all the unnecessary fillings.".
This book has no unnecessary fillers. It is to the point writing. However, I think that is also the downfall of the book b/c you don't really get to know a
Trisha
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This genre is not one that I would typically find myself drawn to, but after a personal encounter with the author, I just had to read his book! It was a quick read, meaning it was a page turner for me. The author is sparse with details, but I found myself clearly picturing each scene. There isn't a great deal of internal dialogue from the main character, which worked well for the story. While you feel for the character and understand he's going through a terrible experience, the author doesn't m ...more
Kristen IA
This book is truly life-changing for me. I feel like I only had vague imaginings of the suffering and violence in Afghanistan until reading this book. I'm still in a bit of shock at the ending...although, not really surprised, I guess. I enjoyed the fast pace of the novel and that details were provided in the right places, rather than pages of filler. My one complaint is that I would have liked to know more about Naikee and Shaista's developing relationship as I found it hard to understand his m ...more
Jil
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english, giveaways
I received a copy of this book via Goodreads Giveaways. Thank you for that.

This is an interesting as well as exciting story about the problematic situation Afghanistan is facing right now. You get a look on how Afghans are living under those circumstances and how the life of a man gets turned upside down leaving him torn between two very different cultures.
Naomi
Dec 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was skeletal to say the least, like reading a very rough first draft. It felt so impatiently written. I didn't get to know any of the characters and therefore couldn't care about them. It's a shame because the plot itself actually wasn't too bad. I'm completely disappointed.
Celia
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-fiction
I wish the book and the title and the publishers blurb were different. Somehow I don't like the word Polygamy in the title; the relationship that this books describes is more like what I would call a war marriage. Somehow the word Polygamy makes the book seem racy which it is not.

Secondly the description put out by the publisher gave away too much of the plot. I thought what reading about happened to Nick might be more suspenseful if I did not know by reading the promotional material what was go
What am I talking about here? 4 9 Jun 19, 2015 02:53PM

• Words are our Sorcery
  • An Elephant Is On My House: And Other Poems
  • Apostle of the Tyrants
  • Out of the Box Regifted (Out of the Box, #2)
  • May Day (American Sulla, #1)
  • Seven Wonders Of The World
  • The Deadly Caress
  • The Price of Freedom: Political Philosophy from Thoreau's Journals
  • Yours Mine Ours
  • Heart of Oak (The Soldier Chronicles, #2)
  • Blood Borne (Cathedral Chronicles, #1)
  • A Rose for Lancaster
  • Predator & Prey (The Devenshire Chronicles, #2)
  • Viral Intent (Alexandra Destephano, #3)
  • Beyond the World of Man (Dwellers of Ahwahnee, #3)
  • Daddy's Game (Daddy's Girls, #2)
  • The Tainted Trust (The King Trilogy #2)
  • Back to Christmas
Omar Farhad was born in Kabul, Afghanistan. He immigrated to the United States in 1987 and currently lives in California. He holds an associate's degree in aviation and a Bachelor of Science in Global Economics, both from US universities.