Start by marking “Suspended Animation: Short Stories of those who wait” as Want to Read:
Suspended Animation: Short Stories of those who wait

Suspended Animation: Short Stories of those who wait

Suspended Animation – the state of being alive, yet not quite; a condition where life stands still, despite the blood coursing through our veins.

This collection of 22 stories is about people like us, scattered across the length and breadth of the world, whose lives are in suspended animation. Set in locations as diverse as Puerto Galera and Manila in the Philippines, Loc
Published May 17th 2014 by Cresco Books

To ask other readers questions about Suspended Animation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suspended Animation

Start your review of Suspended Animation: Short Stories of those who wait
Shilpa
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Suspended Animation is a collection of 22 short stories of ordinary folks and their lives where constant waiting is a reality of life. The stories are set in places like Loch Inverness in Scotland, Puerto Galera and Manila in the Philippines, Bangalore, Mumbai and Kerala.

All the 22 stories in this book, are based on the unifying theme of waiting. Shweta Ganesh Kumar wonderfully depicts the pangs of frustration created by the anticipation brought about by the suspended time. The lives of ordinary
Randy
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The stories in this collection highlight ordinary folks facing every day problems. While mostly stories about Indian folks, and I appreciated the look into lives different from my own, it also shows how similar we are as well.

The author she writes well.

Recommend this collection.
Mike Schuller
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book leaves you wanting more even after 22 stories. Writing 22 stories around a single theme of waiting and making them all stand out distinctly is no mean task. And the writer accomplishes it with flying colors surprising me often in this simple but sweet collection. A couple of stories like “Ginger Garlic Memories” feel a little short but the rest are vivid descriptions of life in waiting.
One of the best I have read in recent times.
Jim
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Suspended Animation is simply a fantastic collection of shorts with some real tearjerkers. I was deeply moved by the story of a cabbie hoping to run into an acquaintance, puts the things we take for granted in perspective. The story of two beggars is heart wrenching and so are some others. What starts out as a slow and laid back narrative soon picks speed and you find stories of increasing complexity. The language is simple and the twists are clever but not in your face and that makes the storie ...more
Radhika (rads)
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Ive read Shwetha's earlier books and I was eager to read her short stories. This is a good collection of stuff that happens to ordinary folks, like you and me and focuses on the never-ending waiting that happens in each of our lives.
I found 22 shorts a bit long only coz the attention needed to be shifted quickly, but I guess that happens with most short stories collection. Some were gripping more than some, but it makes for a quick simple read and the casualness of it all is what makes the book
Sage
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Story about the LochNess monster sums it up for me. That someone could put a simple and innocent looking theme and connect it to an urban myth is commendable and it shows the author’s creativity. In fact all stories involving animals are beautifully written and give a unique look into waiting. The collection is fresh in approach and sweet and nice. I did not get how the theme of suspended animation fit some of the stories but I am in suspended animation for the next collection.
Muldo
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best short story collections I have read and definitely the best by a single author. 22 short stories on one theme and there was never a dull moment. I loved the references to Kerala and could see the connections and even the mood of the place well shown. The stories are mostly emotional so I would have liked some more funny or comic pieces but apart from that the collection rocks. I even read a few stories twice.
Stephen
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Spread across the length and breadth of the world from places like Scotland to Bangalore, to the Phillipines, these 22 short stories capture human emotions of anticipation, fear of the unknown, the tingle of expectancy or plain resignation to fate.

Roselyn Shaw
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Suspended Animation will make you think, laugh and cringe - a witty, artful balancing act of the normal and extraordinary with which all readers, but especially young women, will identify.
Joanne
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In these stories some of which are funny, some are ironical, some are sweet and some plain heart wrenching, we join 22 characters for whom waiting is a constant reality of life.
Rob
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I read first two of the short stories. They are extremely short with little development plot or character as a result and references to Indian specific items that may have helped me to feel more for the stories if I knew what they were. But the key issue is that stores are predictable, trite and uninspiring - all the worse for the feeling get that they are intended to be poignant and ironic commentary on the human condition. T
AkiroOkasawa
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
A really great collection of stories with some memorable characters and some very familiar situations. Some of the characters like the schoolgirl and the nosy neighbour have been portrayed so realistically that you feel you known them from before. The funny piece on global warming and the one about the politician’s visit to the village are very smart writings. I will recommend it as a very good buy.
Mehreen Shaikh
Allwyn Fernandes
Adam Rockwell
Feb 22, 2015
KanishIllyas
rated it did not like it
Mar 22, 2015
Adam Logan
Feb 19, 2015
Senthil Krishnaswamy
Aishwarya Kumar
May 26, 2014
Shweta Ganesh Kumar
Jun 06, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Sumeetha Manikandan
Joanne
Carl Merinno
Mfahadfayyaz
Mar 06, 2015
Shweta Ganesh Kumar is a writer and travel columnist. An alumnus of the Symbiosis Institute of Mass Communication, she worked as Communications Officer for Greenpeace India and as a correspondent with CNN-IBN, before dedicating her life to writing.

Her third book and first novella, 'A Newlywed's Adventures in Married Land,' is now available worldwide from Toronto-based publishers Indireads.

Her s