Start by marking “Family On Mission” as Want to Read:
Family On Mission

Family On Mission

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
When God wanted to act on his promise to save the world, he started with a family and gave them a mission. He spoke to Abram and his household and they became a family on mission.

We see Jesus operating in the same way, gathering an extended-family-like group of disciples around himself before embarking on his mission. Jesus needed a family on mission.

Within the Trinity,
Kindle Edition
Published 2014

To ask other readers questions about Family On Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family On Mission

Phil Shields
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Out of all the 3DM books this one was very helpful to my thinking as a husband, father, and disciple of Christ. I highly recommend Mike Breen's books but more specifically this one if you are desiring to respond to the call of Christ on being on mission with your family. This isn't just for married couples with kids, but for all to understand the true call of what the family is through the lens of Christ. This is a book for church leaders to process together mostly because I think the one glarin ...more
Joel Johnston
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 12-in-2018
I enjoyed this book so much because it takes a look at Christian faith being lived out on mission within the context of family so brilliantly.

It’s so easy to understand but I have yet to fully implement. I am grateful for these Christian leaders.
Justin Reeve
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

This book will give you a foundation on how to live missional as Family. I loved the chapters on "Predictable Patterns" And "The works of Jesus"
Benjamin Vineyard
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A simple read where a husband and wife share about their journey of nurturing the faith of their own family and friends around them. The concept is to be a family who lives in mission together.

Two concepts struck me.

1. The need for "spiritual parents." That is, someone like the old monastic Abba or Amma -- a person who lives a spiritually deep life and whose presence, language, and patterns of living effect your own, intentionally and unintentionally.

Who is (are) my spiritual parent(s)? Who ca
Tim Vondrell
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Gets you excited to get off your butt and do something to build the kingdom of God. It's a shame it's so darn hard though. It's about finding the right relationships and having a level of
Commitment you can actually deliver. I'm still looking for those people and trying to determine if the people I'm currently connected with are willing, able, interested in waking with me. 3DM makes it look so easy but the reality in this culture where so few people even know their neighbors anymore,
Eric
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Breens have, I think, bared their souls in their books. The rationale for oikos vice the modern nuclear family comes through. This could serve as a starting text for developing family. I was a bit put off by a line on page 96, where a paragraph opens with, "We held on, and on to each other, when, five years into the journey we were dealt a bitter blow,..." with no clear explanation of what that blow might have been.
Grace
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, so good. I mean, so good. This book focuses on what it means to live life as a family (both biological relatives and acquired relatives) with a purpose and mission. It provides an easy-for-normal-people theological explanation and dives deep into the words, works, and ways of Jesus. Then they pair that with some helpful, practical examples. I would highly recommend this for anyone who has a family - parents, kids, siblings, neighbors, friends, and coworkers.
Meshach Kanyion
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Good book, but kindle edition is bad.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I plan on using some of these ideas within my own family. My only complaint is that the kindle edition had several mistakes. Half a sentence would be missing, only to appear further down the page. But beyond that, I highly recommend it.
Kjersti
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith-church
A decent read, with some solid idea about what a healthy church community looks like. I'm convinced that this is a healthy way for new churches to start, but didn't really ind in here many resources for established churches. Great thoughts, though.
Dave Pettengill
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Practical Discipleship

This has plenty of practical advice for Christians to discover how to effectively not only disciple their own families but also to become spiritual parents for those around them.
Albert Hong
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Really enjoying the concepts presented here. Terrific vision for what following God could look like as a family. Our family is starting to incorporate this philosophy into our rhythms. We'll see what happens!
Tim Beck
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
yet another practical book on discipleship from the people at 3DM. this one focuses on family (both biological and spiritual) and how to better develop oikos (greek for family) in your group.
Molly
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I appreciated Chapter 7 "Leading as Spiritual Parents" = brilliant.
Daniel Wells
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this little gem from Mike and Sally Breen. There is a lot of application here for both one's church and one's family.
Matt
Jan 07, 2016
Shannon Hein
Jan 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
“Sometimes what hurts more than your enemies hating you is your friends and family remaining silent in a time of need.” 1 likes
“His disciples weren’t just his roadies or work associates — they are his family. For Jesus, making disciples is about building a family. In one sentence, he completely redefines what family is, how it works, and what it’s for.” 1 likes