Start by marking “Finn Fancy Necromancy (Finn Fancy Necromancy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Finn Fancy Necromancy (Finn Fancy Necromancy, #1)

Finn Fancy Necromancy

(Finn Fancy Necromancy #1)

Writers of the Future grand prize winner Randy Henderson presents a dark and quirky debut in Finn Fancy Necromancy.

Finn Gramaraye was framed for the crime of dark necromancy at the age of 15, and exiled to the Other Realm for twenty five years. But now that he's free, someone-probably the same someone-is trying to get him sent back. Finn has only a few days to discover who
Published February 10th 2015 by Tor Books

Start your review of Finn Fancy Necromancy (Finn Fancy Necromancy, #1)
carol.
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of UF, Pratchett, that other wizard
Finn is about to breathe free air after twenty-five years imprisonment for a crime he didn’t commit, but instead of eating carb-heavy meals while trapped in a 68 cell, he has been living a non-corporeal existence in the land of Fae. His punishment has been reliving memories from his first fifteen years of life for their entertainment while his body has been on loan, used by a Fae in the mundane world.

“Just seeing those shapes and colors without having to manifest them from my own memory was
seak
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, audio, arc-review
Finn Fancy Necromancy is exactly as fun as its title suggests. From the second sentence, "We were like a couple of floating melted gummy bears made of unicorn snot and dreams..." I knew I was in good hands. In fact, even before that, in the acknowledgments when Henderson talks about his "butt-slapping doctor" I knew Henderson's humor was going to click with me, and it did.

Finn Gramaraye is a necromancer who's just come back from exile to the "Other Realm," aka the fairy world. He was sent there
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)
A fun mystery set in a fantasy world. The dialogue and language could be a little rough but overall this book was a great little gem.

Tons of fun, an interesting premise, clever world building.

The 3 stars isn't because there was anything majorly flawed about it. It just wasn't the sort of book that inspires intense feelings. It is occasionally funny, sometimes sweet but ultimately forgettable.

A good palate- cleanser between meatier reads. :)
Olivia "So many books--so little time.""
This book didn't thrill me so I didn't finish it. I just couldn't get into it.
Nikki
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The cover, with the classic gaming-like characters on it, suggests something… I don’t know, playful and referential. A fantasy equivalent to Ready Player One, perhaps. And a lot of people seem to have found that in it, calling it “dark and quirky”, noting the humour and the originality of it. I didn’t find it to be so; I could predict each turn of the story, and the characters didn’t endear themselves to me. The set-up is okay: guy has been imprisoned in an alternate realm for years for a crime ...more
Briar's Reviews
My novel is an uncorrected advance reading copy, so be aware some of the novel may have changed by the time it was published.

Finn Fancy Necromancy was a great fantasy read that kept me interested for most of the book! I did seem to think it was 100 pages to long, since I got bored by page 300, but it was still a good read!

Finn Gramaraye is a necromancer who was framed for dark necromancy when he was fifteen. Now he is out of the Other Realm jail and is free, but it's twenty-five years later.
wishforagiraffe
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, audiobooks
This book is deliciously hilarious.

Finn, the protagonist, has been out of the world, stuck in exile in fairyland, for 25 years. He's a great fish out of water character when he returns, because the world has changed so much without him, and he's kind of a giant nerd.

It's a great big mystery story, wrapped up in an urban fantasy, set in the Pacific Northwest. The cast of characters is really diverse, both in temperament and the traditional meaning of the word, and there are plenty of shades of
Tabitha
Finn Fancy Necromancy was a delightful read complete with humor, heart and 80s pop references. It’s a book plenty of urban fantasy fans will enjoy.

I’m old and have hair…everywhere

Finn was exiled to the fey realm for something he didn’t do (attempted murder) when he was 15 years old. While there he was forced to relive all of his memories over and over again so the fey could feed off of his emotions. Now 25 years later his exile is over, he’s back home and he’s, oh jeez, old – and eegads…hairy!
Heidi
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Four stars: An original, quirky and funny Urban Fantasy full of 1980's humor.

Finn is eagerly looking forward to returning to the living realm. In 1986 when Finn was fifteen years old, he was accused and framed for a murder he supposedly committed with dark necromancy. Finn's spirit was exiled to the Other Realm, the land of the fey. Meanwhile, a fey changeling inhabited his human body. Upon his return, the changeling will transfer his memories of the last twenty five years to Finn.
Judy Lesley
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor, mystery
There was a tasty tidbit of this novel offered on NetGalley so I did the download to my Kindle and was just going to take a little peek to see what it was all about. Well......as book lovers everywhere can confirm, that was just me playing tricks on myself. No way could I stop reading once I had begun. There are eight chapters in this excerpt which is a healthy amount. Definitely enough to let me know I want to read the remainder of the book.

Our hero, Finn, was sent away to the Other Realm
Blodeuedd Finland
Poor Finn, at 15 he was exiled for 25 years. 25 years of being nothing and getting sucked dry of memories by the Fey. 25 years for a murder he did not commit.

But now he is back. Something went wrong and he has no idea how the world has changed. He still wonders who framed him and now someone is after him.

This was a urban fantasy that felt..dunno, just different. Finn comes home to his strange necromancy family. His sister without powers, his brother who thinks he is a were (though there are
Roy
Apr 02, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
Not going to rate this. I just found it very mediocre as compared to other UF novels. I also found the humour too repetitive. Kinda became annoying. Got to page 101 but couldnt go further on. Better books to read.
Jason
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016, e-books
4 Stars

Finn Fancy Necromancy by Randy Henderson is a fun urban fantasy and coming of age story. The plot and the characters are fun and make this an easy read. This is a story that is appropriate for the young adult crowd while not feeling like it was written for them.

This book is filled with 80's references, heck every chapter title is an 80's song title. These references fit with our main character and add to the flavor and fun of the book without being an homage that is shoved down our
Alysa H.
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
ETA, 30 April 2015:
Well, I've read the whole book! I feel pretty similarly towards the whole as I did towards the first 1/3 of it. It's very funny, with great pop cultural references and jokes. I still wish the magical system was a bit more consistent and a bit better explained (preferably earlier on). I have to admit that I enjoyed the humor and the family dynamics a lot more than the ostensible "mystery" plot, the romance(s) made Finn seem a little Marty Stuish, and some of the characters'
Spencer Ellsworth
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Funny, fun quirky fantasy full of 80s in-jokes, Pacific Northwest locations, (including the fey equivalent of World War II fought at Port Townsend's Fort Worden) and great character moments. This is one for a nice afternoon off when you want to smile and laugh and love a fantasy book. However, the ending does have a good barb in it that takes the characters seriously, making this a true character story and not just a satire.
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
Finn Fancy Necromancy will make you laugh, with:
* oddball humor and a wise-cracking sarcastic narrator
* a world of deadly gnomes and assassin sasquatches
* 80s pop culture nostalgia in a quirky urban fantasy

4.5 stars. Not absolutely perfect, but wow did I enjoy it. I'm not sure if it will be a standalone or a series, but if there are more, I'm in.

Read the full review at Come Hither Books
Jennifer Wheeler
I wasn't terribly impressed by the first 1/3 of this book. It did perk my interest after that, but it still wasn't super "gripping". The title is what drew me in, and I really wanted to love it, but it fell a bit short of my expectations. I did enjoy the inclusion of various magical creatures/beings, and the unique spin on Necromancy magic.
Mir
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Hmm, this sounds a bit like a more Bizarro version of Hold Me Closer, Necromancer. Sign me up!
Unwisely
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, urban-fantasy
I wanted to like this book more than I did. But ... man. It wasn't bad, I just didn't love it as much as I wanted to.

Part of my problem was a 15 year old in a 40 year old's body. 15 year olds are - as you may recall from your own experience - not anything like 40 year olds. And expecting him to be able to interact with his peers who had actually lived the missing 25 year seems like it would be worse. (I have this problem when a 100+ year old vampire is hitting on a teenager. Whyyyyyyyyy?)

Marko Simunovic
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun amalgamation of pretty much whatever you can think of in terms of fantasy and sci fi. Fast paced and often times hilarious it provides a much appreciated change of pace for fantasy material.
Sabs
(I received a preview of this from Macmillan-Tor/Forge via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)

Okay, I'm going to be honest with you: when I saw the title of this book and read the blurb, I wasn't really expecting much. I was bored, so I decided to read it anyway. Hell, I thought, it might even be good.

Turns out, it was great. Tor, I shouldn't have doubted you. You would never publish a dud book.

The main character is a guy named Finn, a wise-cracking, sarcastic necromancer who has a
C. Hardwick
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Randy Henderson has hit the proverbial toboggan out of the wallrus park with this one, and that takes some doing as you might imagine.

I bought this book because I know Randy. I finished it because it's good. Really good. He's written a sassy main character who's a little bit retro, a little bit lost puppy, and a little bit superhero sunflower waiting to bloom. Finn's a teenager who's just about to confess his first love when who gets framed for dark magic and sent into spirit exile. On the day
 Nyarlathotep Twelfth Month The Haunted Reading Room
Review: FINN FANCY NECROMANCY [preview] by Randy Henderson

Imprisoned in Fae for a quarter-century for Necromancy he did NOT commit, poor Finn's set-up continues: at the moment of his release to Earth, an enforcer appears in an assassination attempt on Finn's changeling, who has taken his place for the past twenty-five years. As the portal is closing, Finn must barrel through without recovering the changeling's memories of Finn's life; or remain in Fae, perhaps forever. Someone really means to
Felix
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this! The story moves fast & has the whole time travel/ amnesia twist going. The only problem is the cliff-hanger ending. I'm really looking forward to the next story! I almost didn't read this because of the book's title - I'm so glad i did!
Bruce Deming
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
What is Finn's Fancy?

Finn has been denied existence, exiled to the Other Realm for 25 years when a teen thereby losing contact with his friends, family and potential significant other or mate during this whole time.

Finn has a lot of catching up to do when he returns to existence as changeling
and tries to resurrect all he cares for as an older adult with a twenty five year gap in what's been happening while gone.

His family has the appearance in the human world of being Morticians, but it the
Misha
I loved this! A fun, witty urban fantasy debut set in Washington State. Finn is exiled in the Fey's Other Realm for 25 years at the age of 15 when he is accused of a murder. He returns to his family after he is released from exile to the family necrotorium in Port Townsend. Finn makes constant references to the 80s, as he missed 25 years of updates, and each chapter is named after another classic 80s song. Since I am a total sucker for anything 80s, the Goonies references and more were music to ...more
CA
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018, cute
I loved this book, it's silly and fun, pretty much like the title suggests! The story is interesting and you have a whole bunch of characters to like or dislike. A lovely story that I've now suggested to a few people to read. It's just a fun book with a whole bunch of ridiculousness to brighten up your day!
Jon Schafle
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
This was a fun read, I enjoyed the humor and abundance of 80's references! Although there were some continuity issues and some other slight complaints I thought it was an awesome first book for the series and I'm interested to see where it goes from here.
Georgie
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful kind of lighthearted urban fantasy novel. It's set in the world pretty much as we know it only magic is real. There are humans with magical abilities called 'arcana'. Arcana humans have particular abilities which they use both for magical purposes and sometimes to enhance their mundane-world jobs. Then there are the Fey, magical beings who inhabit the Other Realm. Most arcana hate the Fey and view them as inferior at best and dangerous at worst.

Our hero, Finn, is a
Jasper
originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2015...

Sometimes I want to read a book just due to it's title. If you hear the title Finn Fancy Necromancy, it already should pull on you interest, it sound pretty cool in my opinion. Add the synopsis of the book and you should be totally taken! Finn Fancy Necromancy is Randy Henderson's debut, and to be honest, the with the level of skill in writing that he shows you wouldn't say that at all. Granted he has written several short fiction
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Henderson - Finn Fancy Necromancy [Oct 6, 2019] 6 13 Oct 16, 2019 07:59AM
Finn Fancy FAQ 5 37 Apr 18, 2016 03:58PM

• Helen and Troy's Epic Road Quest
  • The Affinity Bridge (Newbury and Hobbes, #1)
  • Department Zero
  • Theatre of the Gods
  • A Toaster on Mars
  • Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain
  • The Everything Box (Another Coop Heist #1)
  • Arminius: The Limits of Empire
  • Gil's All Fright Diner
  • Control Point (Shadow Ops, #1)
  • The Sentinel (The Sundering, #5)
  • A Study in Brimstone (Warlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists
  • Printer's Devil Court
  • Johannes Cabal the Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, #1)
  • The Outsorcerer's Apprentice (YouSpace, #3)
  • Monster and the Beast, Vol. 1
  • Mogworld
Randy Henderson's "dark and quirky" contemporary fantasy series from TOR (US) and Titan (UK) includes Finn Fancy Necromancy, Bigfootloose & Finn Fancy Free, and Smells Like Finn Spirit.

Randy's short fiction has been spotted frolicking in places like Penumbra, Escape Pod, Realms of Fantasy, Every Day Fiction, and anthologies.

He is a grand prize winner of Writers of the Future, a Clarion West

Finn Fancy Necromancy (3 books)
  • Bigfootloose and Finn Fancy Free (Finn Fancy Necromancy, #2)
  • Smells Like Finn Spirit (Finn Fancy Necromancy #3)
“Gipetto decided he wanted the company of a young mundy maiden in his village. But he'd been lying to her about many thyings to hide the fact that he wan an arcana, and she'd begun to distrust him. So he made her a simple puppet out of wood that could talk, and if made to tell a lie, it's bulbous nose would grow long. He took the puppet to her, demonstrated its use, and had her ask the puppet if Gipetto loved her and if he would care for her always. These were not lies, not that a wooden puppet could tell, and Gipetto was wealth from selling his inventions, so they were married with her family's eager encouragement. But on those nights when Gipetto was away traveling and selling his wares, the neighbors swear they would hear the young woman telling the puppet to lie, and then tell the truth, over and over and over again. Because, you see, sometimes a girl wants the truth and sometimes she doesn't, as long as it makes her feel good." Mother laughed and patted my head, or at least she made the motions. "Someday, you'll understand, Finn.” 1 likes