Start by marking “The Exile (The Fae, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Exile (The Fae, #1)

The Exile

(The Fae #1)

Brianna Hai runs an occult shop that sells useless trinkets to tourists—and real magic supplies to witches and warlocks. The magical painting that hangs in Brianna's apartment is the last portal between the fae and human worlds.

A shocking magical assault on her home reveals to Brianna that her father, High King Liu of the Fae, is under attack. With the help of her gargoyle
Published March 10th 2015 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Exile, please sign up.
Charity Dobing Ha! I just saw this today. I have literally been looking for the next part to this book since I read the first one.

Start your review of The Exile (The Fae, #1)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

So. THE EXILE got off to a bit of a rocky start for me.

Actually, that's not true. The very, very beginning was excellent. There was a truly spectacular prologue involving the High King of the Fae and this really cool Fates/triple-faced goddess mashup person . . .

YES. That does sound awesome, doesn't it?

BUT. Between the awesome prologue and the first 7 chapters, there were 7 POV changes, and 6 different POVs.

That's a lot. Even for me, and I'm used to the multipl
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/03/29/b...

C.T. Adams has written books as Cat Adams, a dual-partnership writing team with Cathy Clamp. I’ve never read anything by either author before, so I was looking forward to starting out with Ms. Adams’ first solo full-length novel The Exile, especially since I love stories about the fae.

The protagonist Brianna Hai lives a double life as necessitated by her own very nature. By day the half-human, half-fae young woman runs a
Melliane
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I have a major weakness when it comes to faes so when I saw the novel, I was immediately intrigued. All this was confirmed as soon as I started reading it and when I was completely swept away by the story.

I was a little surprised at first because the format is a little different from what is usually found in urban fantasy. Indeed, we follow here the POV of several characters moving around Brianna, though she remains central and recurring in the history compar
Christine
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
2/28/19:

The Exile was a first read for me, from an author who I'd never before tried, though she has other series to her credit. This was volume one, in an urban fantasy series, with main character Brianna, who is half Fae and half human/witch. The writing was very fast paced and action-based. I was sometimes jolted from immersion in the story by grammar and word-usage issues...but otherwise, this was a quick read.

The plot is... not quite convoluted, and not confusing, but somewhat unstructured,
Stacy
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brianna is half fae, half human and lives in the human world away from the politics of court. She isn't on the list of potential heirs to the thrown, but has had a few run ins with people trying to kill her anyways and she really doesn't get along with most fae, so she stays away from the Fae world. That is until someone decides to attack her home, which sends her into Fae to recover what was stolen from her. Even though she is careful not to break any rules, it draws her back into the politics ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kate
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

Though the beginning is a bit rocky, THE EXILE is a fast-paced race of a book, full of twists and turns and a great new world to explore. From the great cover which drew me in to the last chapter, I delighted in this book and am so thrilled it's a new series I get to follow.

THE EXILE is one of those types of books that takes a little effort to really get into, but once you're in, you're sucked into the world completely. Told from quite a few points of
Pure Textuality
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have never read a Cat Adams book, but we used to have a reviewer on the PT team who LOVED the writing duo. So, when I saw that one half of the duo, C.T. Adams, had written her first solo book, I decided to give it a try. And I was not disappointed! I have no frame of reference for comparison, so I cant tell you if The Exile was anything like the writing style of Cat Adams, though.

From a technicality front, The Exile was very well written. The story line was thought out in great detail and wove
Ezinwanyi
I was pleasantly surprised because I normally don’t care for Fae stories. This was interesting and a good start to a series.

Brianna Hai is the half human half fae princess of King Liu but she lived in the human realm as her fae siblings were constantly trying to eliminate her as a possible heir to their father’s throne. Brianna’s mother escaped to the human realm and they opened up a store selling antiques and other various trinkets. All of sudden Brianna starts getting attacked by pixies and th
Derek
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: paper-only
This is so not my usual sort of reading, but I won it from Tor.com, so it cost nothing to try.

It's paranormal romance, but light on the romance. (the blurb says "urban fantasy", but I hate that tag for novels where there's little to nothing "urban" about it).

Brianna Hai is, of course, the daughter of a faerie king. So, fairly predictable but quite entertaining.
Nafiza
Aug 29, 2014 marked it as zz-dnf
A scene where a POC kid is killed by an officer and the officer has a monologue about how he is going to be 'pilloried' by the press. Call me too sensitive but I felt that this scene trivializes the very real racial struggle currently going on in America. I wasn't enjoying the book too much beforehand and now I am completely shoved out of the narrative. A DNF for me.
Suzanne Johnson
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this book's portrayal of Faerie and the different kinds of allies (and enemies) of the fae. Great characters and storyline. My only downside was that the ending felt rushed. A LOT left dangling to resolve in the next book. Hope we don't have a long wait--it'll definitely go to the top of my TBR pile.
Denisa
Nov 01, 2015 marked it as no-no
Too many POV (6, 7 at one point); Confusing plot.
Tee_M
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ashy Khaira
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brianna is the half sidhe daughter of high king leu of the sidhe.she chose to follow her mother into exile with a portrait allowing her to see back to sidhe and her father.a series of events leads to her going back to faerie and uncovering secrets one at a time but never knowing the biggest,that he father was to die at the hands of the traitor,or that she would someday be queen.but what of the rest of her family?will they survive?whats their role in this?
Lynn
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Today's post is on The Exile by C. T. Adams. It is 318 pages long and is publicized by TOR. It is the first in her The Fae series. The cover has the main character in looking at the reader with another character in the background. The intended reader is someone who likes urban fantasy and good writing. There is some language, no sex, and violence in this book. The story is told from third person close of the different characters moving as needed from chapter to chapter. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

F
Kristen
I loved absolutely everything about this book, and can't wait for future installments in this series!

The first and best thing about this book is Brianna. Not only is she a strong, smart female lead character, she is a good person too. When you are a member of the royal family of Faerie, that is no small feat, and it upped Bri several notches for me as a character I can connect to and love.

I also liked the take of the author on the version of the Fae world she created. It is well in line with muc
Dianne
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love reading about the Fae that you find in the Merry Gentry series by Laurell Hamilton but would prefer no sex…at least so far - you are in for a treat with this book. The worlds are quite similar. So is some of the story-line. The exception is that there is no Dark Court and no Light Court – there is only one Sidhe High court and High King, but there are the other types of Fae that we’ve come to understand from other books. The romance is very much lacking in this first book, but there ...more
Lais
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
LOVED! I should have been studying but in the end this book was waaay better! LOL
Urban Fantasy is my favorite kind of books so I was super pleased for a new series coming out and it was a great book for starting this world!
It had a lot of action,great did I say GREAT characters ( KING LEU I LOVE YOU WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME) and the story was so much thrilling!
Brianna was an excellent heroine,she showed strenght,compassion and I CANT WAIT FOR HER AND NICK HOOK UP OKAY? I DONT CARE,I WANT MY RO
Lígia Bellini
Sep 25, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think, the cover is more interesting than the book! The plot is nice, but the way it's developed was weak. The whole time, the author was worried to give emphasis about how fit is Brianna. All the time, making sure to the readers keep in mind that Brianna loves to work out! That was soooo silly! And Brianna acts like a badass, but a "sweet" badass! Her smile, her lovely way to treat her sister Lucienne.. boooring! I don't know, i think the whole concept the author gave to Fae here was weak. Br ...more
Kati
Henry Herz
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brianna Hai is a Fae princess, living a relatively normal life on the human side of The Veil to avoid the politics and dangers of Sidhe court intrigue. But Brianna and her human (and gargoyle) friends soon find themselves embroiled in the very power struggles she sought to avoid.

Like Brianna, readers will find themselves sucked in to Faerie - but in a good way. You won’t be able to put this book down. Author C.T. Adams does a fine job taking the creatures and tropes of urban fantasy, and putting
Andi
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoyed this first in a series by C.T. Adams, half of the Cat Adams duo responsible for the Blood Singer series.

In The Exile, Brianna is the half-human daughter of the fae king, who gets quickly embroiled in intrigue when she is attacked in her home by fae creatures, and ends up in the other world with two humans in tow - her employee, David, and his brother, Nick. It becomes all the more complicated getting back when Brianna learns her status is elevated, and she is on the "list" as o
Darcy
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I made it about 20% into this one before giving it up. From the start I had a hard time getting into it. The characters couldn't keep my interest, although I did find myself intrigued by Pug, wish there would have been more with him. In the end this one wasn't for me.
Tori
My review will appear in the MARCH 2015 issue of RT Book Reviews Magazine.
Jena Gregoire
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it

Iza October
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
(Review first published in Shelf Awareness)

Brianna Hai isn't quite human, but as the owner of an occult shop, her job manages to hide a few of her stranger aspects--not that she has to do much hiding from the tourists who buy the shop's ineffective baubles. Her real concern is for those like her, the Fae, who know she's an exiled royal from Faerie, though the enchanted protections she sets around her shop usually keep the otherworldly visitors in line.

She doesn't know that Nick Antonelli, a pol
Beachesnbooks
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fae
Great premise and ideas, but I wished everything had been fleshed out a LOT more. We could have used more of an introduction to the characters and the world, and the third-person narration with multiple POVs only served to distance me from characters I really wanted to get to know better, and could have done so through a sole main character (Brianna)'s eyes. I really just don't think that having multiple POVs added anything to the story at all and I'm not sure why that was done. I liked Adams's ...more
Harald Koch
Too many PoV changes, especially at the beginning. The story moves very, very quickly, making it sometimes difficult to follow. We get rather boring descriptions of Brianna's apartment and Fae manor houses, and then towards the end a major confrontation occurs, we switch PoVs for five or six chapters, and by then the confrontation has been resolved without drama off-camera. Huh? In other words, inconsistent pacing and editing.

There's an interesting story and world building hiding in here, but I'
Patti Ashley
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly complicated

I find myself not satisfied at the end of this book but intrigued. There are so many possibilities, often overwhelming in their numbers. I will have to hold an enthusiastic review until I see where this story goes and I am not sure I want to submerge myself in book two yet.
TinaMarie
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jul 27, 2015 12:53PM

• Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • Starbreaker (Endeavor, #2)
  • To Dance With the Devil (Blood Singer, #6)
  • All Your Wishes (Blood Singer, #7)
  • Poison Fruit (Agent of Hel, #3)
  • Crush the King  (Crown of Shards, #3)
  • Blood Song (Blood Singer, #1)
  • A Heart of Blood and Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons, #1)
  • Dying Breath (Dying for a Living, #6)
  • Dying Day (Dying for a Living, #7)
  • Dying Light (Dying for a Living, #4)
  • Dying for Her (Dying for a Living, #3)
  • Worth Dying For (Dying for a Living, #5)
  • Fruits Basket Collector's Edition, Vol. 6
  • Fruits Basket Collector's Edition, Vol. 7
  • Fruits Basket Collector's Edition, Vol. 9
  • Fruits Basket Collector's Edition, Vol. 4
  • Fruits Basket Collector's Edition, Vol. 12
Also known as Cat Adams, a dual-partnership writing team with Cathy Clamp.

She spent seventeen years in the Denver metro area and now resides in Texas with a large dog and pet cats. Office work provided a living while she pursued the goal of becoming a novelist. Forming the partnership with Cathy Clamp was the catalyst that led to publication and the two have enjoyed a long and fruitful collaborati

The Fae (2 books)
  • The Rescue (The Fae #2)