Start by marking “The Exile (The Fae, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Exile (The Fae, #1)

The Exile (The Fae #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  575 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
Brianna Hai runs an occult shop that sells useless trinkets to tourists—and real magic supplies to witches and warlocks. The magical painting that hangs in Brianna's apartment is the last portal between the fae and human worlds.

A shocking magical assault on her home reveals to Brianna that her father, High King Liu of the Fae, is under attack. With the help of her gargoyle
Published March 10th 2015 by Tor Books

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

So. THE EXILE got off to a bit of a rocky start for me.

Actually, that's not true. The very, very beginning was excellent. There was a truly spectacular prologue involving the High King of the Fae and this really cool Fates/triple-faced goddess mashup person . . .

YES. That does sound awesome, doesn't it?

BUT. Between the awesome prologue and the first 7 chapters, there were 7 POV changes, and 6 different POVs.

That's a lot. Even for me, and I'm used to the multipl
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/03/29/b...

C.T. Adams has written books as Cat Adams, a dual-partnership writing team with Cathy Clamp. I’ve never read anything by either author before, so I was looking forward to starting out with Ms. Adams’ first solo full-length novel The Exile, especially since I love stories about the fae.

The protagonist Brianna Hai lives a double life as necessitated by her own very nature. By day the half-human, half-fae young woman runs a
Melliane
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I have a major weakness when it comes to faes so when I saw the novel, I was immediately intrigued. All this was confirmed as soon as I started reading it and when I was completely swept away by the story.

I was a little surprised at first because the format is a little different from what is usually found in urban fantasy. Indeed, we follow here the POV of several characters moving around Brianna, though she remains central and recurring in the history compar
Stacy
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brianna is half fae, half human and lives in the human world away from the politics of court. She isn't on the list of potential heirs to the thrown, but has had a few run ins with people trying to kill her anyways and she really doesn't get along with most fae, so she stays away from the Fae world. That is until someone decides to attack her home, which sends her into Fae to recover what was stolen from her. Even though she is careful not to break any rules, it draws her back into the politics ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kate
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

Though the beginning is a bit rocky, THE EXILE is a fast-paced race of a book, full of twists and turns and a great new world to explore. From the great cover which drew me in to the last chapter, I delighted in this book and am so thrilled it's a new series I get to follow.

THE EXILE is one of those types of books that takes a little effort to really get into, but once you're in, you're sucked into the world completely. Told from quite a few points of
Pure Textuality
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have never read a Cat Adams book, but we used to have a reviewer on the PT team who LOVED the writing duo. So, when I saw that one half of the duo, C.T. Adams, had written her first solo book, I decided to give it a try. And I was not disappointed! I have no frame of reference for comparison, so I cant tell you if The Exile was anything like the writing style of Cat Adams, though.

From a technicality front, The Exile was very well written. The story line was thought out in great detail and wove
Ezinwanyi
I was pleasantly surprised because I normally don’t care for Fae stories. This was interesting and a good start to a series.

Brianna Hai is the half human half fae princess of King Liu but she lived in the human realm as her fae siblings were constantly trying to eliminate her as a possible heir to their father’s throne. Brianna’s mother escaped to the human realm and they opened up a store selling antiques and other various trinkets. All of sudden Brianna starts getting attacked by pixies and th
Derek
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: paper-only
This is so not my usual sort of reading, but I won it from Tor.com, so it cost nothing to try.

It's paranormal romance, but light on the romance. (the blurb says "urban fantasy", but I hate that tag for novels where there's little to nothing "urban" about it).

Brianna Hai is, of course, the daughter of a faerie king. So, fairly predictable but quite entertaining.
Suzanne Johnson
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this book's portrayal of Faerie and the different kinds of allies (and enemies) of the fae. Great characters and storyline. My only downside was that the ending felt rushed. A LOT left dangling to resolve in the next book. Hope we don't have a long wait--it'll definitely go to the top of my TBR pile.
Nafiza
Aug 29, 2014 marked it as zz-dnf
A scene where a POC kid is killed by an officer and the officer has a monologue about how he is going to be 'pilloried' by the press. Call me too sensitive but I felt that this scene trivializes the very real racial struggle currently going on in America. I wasn't enjoying the book too much beforehand and now I am completely shoved out of the narrative. A DNF for me.
Denisa
Nov 01, 2015 marked it as no-no
Too many POV (6, 7 at one point); Confusing plot.
Lynn
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Today's post is on The Exile by C. T. Adams. It is 318 pages long and is publicized by TOR. It is the first in her The Fae series. The cover has the main character in looking at the reader with another character in the background. The intended reader is someone who likes urban fantasy and good writing. There is some language, no sex, and violence in this book. The story is told from third person close of the different characters moving as needed from chapter to chapter. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

F
Kristen
I loved absolutely everything about this book, and can't wait for future installments in this series!

The first and best thing about this book is Brianna. Not only is she a strong, smart female lead character, she is a good person too. When you are a member of the royal family of Faerie, that is no small feat, and it upped Bri several notches for me as a character I can connect to and love.

I also liked the take of the author on the version of the Fae world she created. It is well in line with muc
Dianne
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love reading about the Fae that you find in the Merry Gentry series by Laurell Hamilton but would prefer no sex…at least so far - you are in for a treat with this book. The worlds are quite similar. So is some of the story-line. The exception is that there is no Dark Court and no Light Court – there is only one Sidhe High court and High King, but there are the other types of Fae that we’ve come to understand from other books. The romance is very much lacking in this first book, but there ...more
Henry Herz
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brianna Hai is a Fae princess, living a relatively normal life on the human side of The Veil to avoid the politics and dangers of Sidhe court intrigue. But Brianna and her human (and gargoyle) friends soon find themselves embroiled in the very power struggles she sought to avoid.

Like Brianna, readers will find themselves sucked in to Faerie - but in a good way. You won’t be able to put this book down. Author C.T. Adams does a fine job taking the creatures and tropes of urban fantasy, and putting
Lais Roque
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
LOVED! I should have been studying but in the end this book was waaay better! LOL
Urban Fantasy is my favorite kind of books so I was super pleased for a new series coming out and it was a great book for starting this world!
It had a lot of action,great did I say GREAT characters ( KING LEU I LOVE YOU WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME) and the story was so much thrilling!
Brianna was an excellent heroine,she showed strenght,compassion and I CANT WAIT FOR HER AND NICK HOOK UP OKAY? I DONT CARE,I WANT MY RO
Kati
Lígia Bellini
Sep 25, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think, the cover is more interesting than the book! The plot is nice, but the way it's developed was weak. The whole time, the author was worried to give emphasis about how fit is Brianna. All the time, making sure to the readers keep in mind that Brianna loves to work out! That was soooo silly! And Brianna acts like a badass, but a "sweet" badass! Her smile, her lovely way to treat her sister Lucienne.. boooring! I don't know, i think the whole concept the author gave to Fae here was weak. Br ...more
Andi
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoyed this first in a series by C.T. Adams, half of the Cat Adams duo responsible for the Blood Singer series.

In The Exile, Brianna is the half-human daughter of the fae king, who gets quickly embroiled in intrigue when she is attacked in her home by fae creatures, and ends up in the other world with two humans in tow - her employee, David, and his brother, Nick. It becomes all the more complicated getting back when Brianna learns her status is elevated, and she is on the "list" as o
Darcy
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I made it about 20% into this one before giving it up. From the start I had a hard time getting into it. The characters couldn't keep my interest, although I did find myself intrigued by Pug, wish there would have been more with him. In the end this one wasn't for me.
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
My review will appear in the MARCH 2015 issue of RT Book Reviews Magazine.
Jena Gregoire
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it

Jaleenajo
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fae
Great premise and ideas, but I wished everything had been fleshed out a LOT more. We could have used more of an introduction to the characters and the world, and the third-person narration with multiple POVs only served to distance me from characters I really wanted to get to know better, and could have done so through a sole main character (Brianna)'s eyes. I really just don't think that having multiple POVs added anything to the story at all and I'm not sure why that was done. I liked Adams's ...more
Patti Ashley
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly complicated

I find myself not satisfied at the end of this book but intrigued. There are so many possibilities, often overwhelming in their numbers. I will have to hold an enthusiastic review until I see where this story goes and I am not sure I want to submerge myself in book two yet.
TinaMarie
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Diane
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tammy Dixon
Recommended to Diane by: I found out about it from C.T.'s newsletter
I loved this book! C.T. has her own take on the world of Fairie, so don't let that keep you from enjoying this book. I had to wait for my Mom to finish reading it before I could read it. Can't wait for book #2!
katlurkin
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved this book, eagerly waiting for the next in the series.
Nancy Cumming
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take on this style! I read it in a day! Couldn't put it down!!
Anna
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. I read it instead of going to sleep. I like the non-human characters. I've read lots of fantasy and some of them are unique. Looking forward to more.
Madelyn
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book but it's been so long and I still can't find the 2nd book really bums me out since I thought this was a fun read
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jul 27, 2015 12:53PM
  • Trailer Park Fae (Gallow and Ragged, #1)
  • Jinn and Juice (The Jinni, #1)
  • Spirited Legacy (Lost Library, #2)
  • Owl and the Japanese Circus (Adventures of Owl, #1)
  • Wish Bound (Grimm Agency, #3)
  • Ante Up (Sin City Collectors, #3)
  • Nightmare Ink (Living Ink, #1)
  • Disenchanted & Co. (Disenchanted & Co., #1)
  • Elfhome (Elfhome, #3)
  • Eternity and a Day (Desires of the Otherworld, #1)
  • Incarnate (The Spellmason Chronicles, #3)
  • The Dragon Conspiracy (SPI Files, #2)
  • Trancehack (Magic Born, #1)
  • Fearless (Pax Arcana, #3)
  • Soul Kissed (Shadow Kissed, #2)
  • Stalking the Vampire
  • Stakeout at the Vampire Circus (Dan Shamble, Zombie PI, #1.5)
  • Masks (Cassandra Palmer, #6.5)
Also known as Cat Adams, a dual-partnership writing team with Cathy Clamp.

She spent seventeen years in the Denver metro area and now resides in Texas with a large dog and pet cats. Office work provided a living while she pursued the goal of becoming a novelist. Forming the partnership with Cathy Clamp was the catalyst that led to publication and the two have enjoyed a long and fruitful collaborati
More about C.T. Adams

The Fae (2 books)
  • The Rescue (The Fae #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)