Start by marking “Young Avengers Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Young Avengers Omnibus

Young Avengers Omnibus

(Young Avengers (Collected Editions) #8-10)

It's not important what our parents did. It matters what we do. Someone has to save the world. You're someone. Do the math. The critically acclaimed team of Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie reinvent the teen super-hero comic for the 21st century - uniting Wiccan, Hulkling and Kate "Hawkeye" Bishop with Kid Loki, Marvel Boy and Miss America. No pressure, right? When Wiccan ...more
Hardcover, Omnibus, 360 pages
Published December 16th 2014 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Young Avengers Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Avengers Omnibus

Jackie
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you don't love this, you hate happiness and puppies.
Chris
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
This is the first deluxe edition/omnibus i've purchased and I have to say i'm really impressed with the quality of the book itself. Underneath the dust jacket is a sturdy hardcover that collects all fifteen issues of Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie's Young Avengers run, plus a few extras. The over-sized pages are perfect for presenting McKelvie, Mike Norton and colourist Matt Wilson's excellent artwork.

The paper itself is smooth and aside from a handful of minuscule marks, I can't fault the qua
J'aime
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book collects issues 1-15 and the Marvel Point 1 origin of the 2013 Young Avengers series.

I absolutely loved Kieron Gillen's recent runs of Journey into Mystery & Thor, which included Loki being reincarnated as a young pre-teen. It completely shook up the dynamic between the brothers and reinvented Loki in a new and fun way. So, when I saw that the character would become part of the new run of Young Avengers, I didn't hesitate to preorder the trades as they became available.

Happily, Lo
Paul
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Ah man! I really wanted this to be 5 stars. It's Gillen & McKelvie and I've put them on a pedestal with some of my other favourite creative teams like Loeb/Sale, DnA, etc. I didn't read Gillen's Kid Loki yet although I own the Omnibus and its on my to-read list. I may give this a re-read afterwards, but I just couldn't connect to the story. The art, colors and lettering were great.

I'd really recommend checking out their works like Wicked & Divine, Phonogram or any of Gillen's other works
Connie
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5/5 stars

ACCIDENTALLY IN LOVE (but not really accidentally)

Will there ever be a Young Avengers story I don’t enjoy? We’ll never know.

Well, as soon as I get my hands on the other stories we’ll know, but at this point in time, I’ve read 4 (technically 6) graphic novels centered around them, and I’ve loved every. Single. One.

The overall layout of these issues are impressive- some comics have introductions to the individual volume included, others just pages introducing individual comics within the
Aaron
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is fantastic. One of my favorite Marvel comics I've read in years, and a wonderful example of a writer/artist team working perfectly together. Gillen's script and McKelvie's art compliment each other so well that it's made me decide to read everything else they've done together.

Their Young Avengers run feels simultaneously modern and timeless, with a deeply emotional and yet wildly superheroic story that hits every note of what I love about comics. It reminds me of Scott Pilgrim mixed with
Aishuu
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the characters, and the art was really interesting with lots of use of white space in interesting ways (the technique really worked well in mother's realm). There was also a couple of really interesting "breaking through the boxes" moments and some breaking of the fourth wall.

What I enjoyed was the character interactions; the overall plot arc felt a little weak in comparison. The whole kids against the parents thing has been done and done and done, and I think a
Cassienerdgirl
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, talk about a forward thinking comic book! People of colour! The multiverse! LGBTQ relationships! Asguardians! Therapy! Aliens! It really was a great read, an interesting story. The beginnings of inclusion in comic stories is just a nice cherry on top.
Adam Spanos
Τhis omnibus has a lot of interesting and new techniques to story telling, panel layout and communication. It really helps convey the tone of the teenage superhero, with all the whiny, angsty, relationship drama that changes at the drop of a cell phone. Well done there. However, the characters are really weak and uncompelling, essentially because of: 1. Very little background is given about each character going into this 2. There's just a lot of whining occurring by the angsty teens through this ...more
Lenny
Just a quick review since this is a partial reread - I read one of these arcs but not both years ago. Comics are always a good bet when Gillen and McKelvie, along with colorist Matt Wilson and letterer Clayton Cowles, are your creative team (if you haven't read The Wicked + The Divine yet, what are you doing?); their reboot brought back members of the original team (LOVE Wiccan and Hulkling especially) as well as America Chavez, Prodigy, Kid Loki, and Noh-Varr. I'd quite forgotten what a spoiled ...more
Saif Saeed
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the gayest, most Tumblr oriented comic I have ever read.

So now that I have read Gillens Young Avengers I finally know what so many terrible Marvel writers are failing miserably at emulating and I gotta admit, I can see why. For the most part, the style, humour, and tone is genuinely cool. The characters are interesting and develop amazingly (Except for America who is still the worst character in comic book history). The action scenes are ok but have some excellent moments too. The art is
Becky
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I was excited to check out this complete arc by some of my favorite creators, which I hoped would be sufficiently self contained. Reading it, there were some moments where lack of deep knowledge of the universe felt flustering, and I also felt the plot lacked a little spark. The premise that an extradimensional parasite that can influence adults threatens humanity and only the young Avengers can stand in the way is kind of cliche, but by the end I was more sold. The characters really make this s ...more
Moon Captain
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't think I would enjoy it, but I gave it a go. The art is really static. I don't know if I can finish this; I'm four issues in and struggling to care about any of the characters or the plot and I'm not enjoying the style of storytelling.

A note: gay-superhero-couple brought to mind "The Authority" by Ellis, which is a comic I do recommend.
Kelly K
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2019
Too much relationship drama, not enough punching bad guys.
Loki
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kieron Gillen's followup to, well, pretty much his entire career to that point, but especially Journey Into Mystery and Phonogram. Touching and cool, fun and all full of the feels, plus Loki's latest and greatest trick, played on the most deserving possible target.

It is a shame that for some reason, Marvel didn't trouble themselves to reprint the hilarious faux-Tumblr update pages from the original issues, but that's really the only thing wrong with this book.

Go. Read. Be awesome.
Arin
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loves
This was SO G O O D. I was a little sceptical about reading about the young avengers at first but I am so glad that I did! Firstly the story was just fun and filled with action, the dialogues were full of pop-culture references and I LOVE the diverse set of characters (miss America everyone!). The artwork was one of my favourites so far, and yeah I'm a comic book beginner, but I still loved the style and the unique designs of the panels. So yeah, I expect to read the older issues of Young avenge ...more
Krista Ivy
A phenomenal read with complicated and comical characters; all having their own distinct personalities to push the story along and wrap the reader into the story.
re-read: Wiccan is sorry about a fight that happened and wants to make it up. He ends up not saving his boyfriend's mother the moment before she died, but saving an alien called mother who wants to 'eat them up'. Loki steps in with the plan of 'give me your powers for 10 minutes' and it goes from there.
Maria Kramer
A young magician wants to bring his boyfriend's mother back from the dead and creates a monster instead. Bonus: this story has kid Loki, who is always a joy to behold. A fun script, nice art, good action sequences. Very enjoyable.
Joslin
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was confusing at times, but overall very entertaining. The artwork is beautiful!!! (Jamie McKelvie never disappoints.)
Valerie Anne
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the Young Avengers! I do feel like I was missing a lot, especially re: Loki, but everything else was so fun. Also, AmeriKate, I see you.
Jake Hill
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Wait, am I the only straight person on this team?"

"I've seen the way you look at me, you aren't that straight."

Need I say more?
John
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think generally, superhero stories are their best as "evergreen" works. Preferably, a writer teams up with a singular artist (whom they have palpable synergy and chemistry with) and they get 6-15 issues to tell their "ultimate story" with that character.

I'd never given up on mainstream superhero comics, if they continued doing seasons of All-Star Superman. Entirely removed from continuity (or as heavily tethered as desired). This is someways a merging of Morrison' Megaverse/Hypertime ideas.

So
David
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid series from Kieron Gillen that establishes him as an excellent writer of teen characters. Having reading the first two volumes of his Image series The Wicked and the Devine, it is interesting to see some of the narrative beats of that series explored for the first time. The entire omnibus is essentially one interconnected story arc focusing on the Young Avengers. While the name is familiar a number of these characters have not been associated with the team before. I've always been a fan ...more
Ryouji Ganjou
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, graphic-novel
This book downplays its substance over style. Yes, the illustration is pretty. And yes, most of the actions, lingo, and plot are very much fan-service (or "audience minded"). But this book gives us the top notch character study. Loki is on his best iteration here. Definitely a likable character while playing his role as the chaos god.

Chapter 4 & 9 is the best example in marrying substance and style. The spread page is glorious and unique. The facial expression and the story are engaging as
Ed Erwin
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
The first trade paperback of this 2013 version of Young Avengers is sub-titled "Style > Substance". And that is my reaction to the overall series.

I found volume 1 (issues 1-5) in a little free library box. Was intrigued by the cover art which looks so much like "The Wicked and Divine" (created by the same team). I was not let down by the art at all, liked the characters, and even liked the story. So I continued on with volumes 2 and 3 (issues 6-15). Art and characters remain strong, but event
Rae
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't know a single damn thing about The Avengers, but the people who made The Wicked and The Divine made this so I was sold. It still mostly made sense, despite my lack of understanding of skrulls, kree, or who comes from which planet (dimension?). Major points for the fonts, art, and snark that I love from WicDiv. I vote this as a solid "worth it" for anyone else dealing with the paroxysms of grief accompanying the end of the series.
Brenna
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
oof, i really enjoy mackelvie's interior art but just like with wicked and divine the plot became rapidly incomprehensible x_x
Anna Smithberger
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Satisfying conclusion to an arc I was really into a few years ago and promptly failed to finish, so here I am now. Good job.
Anne
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I fell off the Wicked and Divine bandwagon a while ago, so I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about this.

Loved it. Everyone should read this run. So good.
Amanda at Nerdification Reviews
You can definitely read this series without having read the previous Young Avengers series, or knowing much about the marvel universe. These teen heroes feel true to their age, modern, and approachable. The artist's style makes them all very attractive.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Shade
  • Alias, Vol. 1 Omnibus
  • A-Force: Warzones!
  • Seven Soldiers of Victory, Book Two
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.

Young Avengers (Collected Editions) (10 books)
  • Young Avengers, Volume 1: Sidekicks