Start by marking “Runaways: The Complete Collection, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Runaways: The Complete Collection, Vol. 2

Runaways: The Complete Collection, Vol. 2

(Runaways Deluxe #2)

Teenage fugitives Nico, Gert, Karolina, Chase and Molly are survivors. After learning their parents were secretly super villains, the kids discovered special skills of their own and toppled their parents' criminal empire, the Pride. Now, the Runaways meet Victor Mancha, the unknowing son of another infamous super villain, as a meddling ex-super hero support group tries to ...more
Published December 9th 2014 by Marvel (first published December 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Runaways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways

Chad
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I'm using these complete collections as an excuse to go back and read these for the first time since they originally came out. Brian K. Vaughan's still got it. The book still holds up. It's a fun, witty comic full of teen drama and kids trying to redeem the sins of their fathers. The scenes with Spider-Man and Wolverine are each hilarious. The best use I've seen of guest stars in ages.

Some will find the dialogue a bit problematic at times, but it is real, especially for a comic written in 2006.
Kate (GirlReading)
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m having so much fun reading this series. I love the plot, I love the characters and I love the artwork. The only thing I don’t love is the frustrating and extremely problematic use of outdated language. Other than that, I’m thoroughly enjoyed this series but wow, does some of the language suck.

TW:
• Racism, Ableism, Homophobia
Sesana
Mar 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Not quite as satisfying of a read as the first volume, probably because it doesn't have the same focus. Now that the Pride storyline's been settled, we're basically left with a no adults, costume free version of Generation X. This is not a bad thing, necessarily. I really liked Generation X. And I really like these characters, most of them. (I haven't quite warmed up to Nico.) There are a lot of guest characters involved here, including some really big names, some of them acting very dimly. Capt ...more
Melissa
I don't know if I want to write a review about this, but I do have some musings.

It gets a little old for Nico to be asked over & over again, "Can't you just use the Staff of One to *do this thing*?" and she replies, "No, I've already used that spell." Could the Staff of One be used along with a thesaurus? If you can only say, like, "Teleport!" once, could you get a similar effect from saying, "Transport me across space and distance instantly"?

If Gert is going to be referred to as fat by bad
Clarissa
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This was underwhelming. I liked that they have finally established themselves as a team but I miss them learning to work together and figure out their dynamic. Also, I kind of miss Alex. I am alone in this?

The teenage drama was a bit much for me. Girls fighting over a guy? Karolina essentially running off because Nico kind of rejected her? I’m over it.

We’re introduced to a new kid, Victor, who is half human/half android? I’m having a problem with the implication of yet another person of color po
Chelsea
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars?

I don't know. I definitely was less enthused by this one than the last one. The last felt more like a team book. I'll admit, with 99% of the series I read, I always prefer the first installment to the sequels that come after. I love watching a team come together. The last volume shows you how they came to work together, how they found their dynamic and there was the worry of who the mole was.

This one didn't have any of that because the team was "established", I guess. I hate that they
Rory Wilding
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over a decade ago when I started getting into comics, one of the first Marvel comics I collected was Runaways, an obscure title that introduced me to the writings of Brian K. Vaughan. Having read the initial run as well as the terrific TV adaptation, which has been renewed for a second season, about time I should continue the further adventures by Vaughan and artist Adrian Alphona.

Following the defeat of their parents who were secretly the supervillain group known as the Pride, as well as the de
Gabriela Pop
GERRRRRTTTTTTTT
Scott
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Worth the time to read but not much more.
Plot was flat and uninteresting.

Holly Hand Grenade
Vic: "You guys have some kind of rallying cry? You know like 'Avengers Assemble' 'It's clobberin' time' 'Hulk smash?'"
Nico: "Try not to die."

This volume is primarily a group of short stories that seem to have one goal: making the makeshift Runaways team a real, cohesive unit. They're all a little shaken after the events of the last book, but what happens next (even though it's not fighting off one big bad like in the previous volume) feels like a natural progression.

These kids wouldn't go from h
Once upon a time, six couples agreed to sell the earth to monsters in return for great power. Each couple has a kid, each couple loves their child, and perhaps consequently, most of the children do not grow up as sociopaths. They do, however, kill their parents, saving the world. This is the further adventures of our young heroes. Well, the ones that are left. Plus Ultron’s kid. And a gender bending Skrull.

It’s kinda amazing how much more I liked this than The Age of Apocalypse. The characters
Dolly
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is the second volume of collected comics in the Runaways series.

It's a long book, so I needed to pace myself. The story is quite convoluted with more heroes, villains, and mutants than I can keep track of.

And as I am not well-read on the various members of the Avengers, I had to reread a few pages here and there to make sure I didn't get lost.

Still, after a slow start, the story finished on a very explosive note and I am looking forward to reading the next two volumes.

Stephanie Sarac
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one wasn't as good as the first but it was still pretty great. I like how a new normal is made between the Runaways and Victor is introduced. I'm still working out Xavin. The more I read on, the more I feel like I know them.
Rian
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-reading
Very enjoyable, if not quite as good as Vol. 1 The overall plot felt less focused, with more side stories and vignettes thrown in, and I wasn't overfond of the initial group of villains. Still, I found Chase and Gert's relationship to be touching and interesting, and Karolina became a much more charming character as she grew into herself. Nico, on the other hand, seemed to just get more and more irritating, and her string of sexual escapades went from awkwardly funny, to awkward, to boring. When ...more
Donna
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5*

I'm struggling rating this one because overall I loved it, but the plot wasn't quite as tight as the first collection. The beginning and end was really strong but I just felt like the middle kind of meandered all over the place for no real reason.

The characters are really what keep me reading and I'm super glad to know that this isn't the end for them and that there will be one more collected edition!
velma
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Not as satisfying as Volume 1, but Volume 1 contained all the issues of the first Runaways incarnation. This book only has half of the second incarnation, and for all I know it'll get better in the second half.

Still really really good though. God bless my precious angel, Karolina Dean.
Pernille
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tegneserier
Likey likey! Lovely little cameos or well... appearances from all those cool superheroes I've seen in the movies lately and should have read the comics of!
Nikki
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series! So much girl power and such a fun ride. There was a lot of character development in this one, but the plot wasn't super focused. Can't wait for the next one.
Heatherblakely
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
I really do like this series. I think the characters are interesting, and I really liked the stories in this volume. This group has a different dynamic than the Young Avengers (which they bring up all the time and I find slightly annoying because don't insult my girl Kate Bishop), and they approach good vs bad as a lot grayer than Young Avengers tends do.

However, I hate Chase. I don't like him at all, and I hope that he's...better? in the tv series. Because good lord, all the homophobic and abl
Abigail
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a great love for this series and I am in general a big fan of Brian K. Vaughan's work. I read the first 4 volumes of Runaways back in middle school when a friend introduced me and I've been following this amazing author ever since. So yes, I'm definitely biased toward this series because of nostalgia, but I genuinely believe this is a good comic filled with diverse and relatable teens. Wow, at this point I feel like I'm just gushing and this isn't actually a critical review.

I have to say
Marc
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This second volume of this series was such a disappointment. Runaways vol 1 had a clear vision and goal to the story while this second volume was just everywhere. I felt the pacing with the new character introduction were not done well. I did not care for the new characters and even grew annoyed with the old characters. The constant change in art style bugged me as well as most were much sub par with the original art style. I found the plot just rubbish at most points, and the drama they had I f ...more
Robbins Library
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jenny-recommends
In this collection, the Runaways are back together - Nico, Karolina, Gert, Chase, and Molly. They're fighting crime in LA, trying to make up for their parents' evil, and living under the La Brea tar pits. A future version of Gert arrives in a time machine to make a dire warning about Victor Mancha, a.k.a. Victorious: "His father is a villain from your time...the greatest evil in the universe." Gert-from-the-future dies, and the remaining Runaways must find Victor in the present.

An unbeknownst-to
Sarah Goodwin
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Were Wolf
I feel like the first volume of The Runaways ended at a really good place, and while I enjoy the series it's not incredible or magical for me. So if you're on the fence about continuing with this series from Volume 1, I don't think it's necessary.

That said I think it was a good continuation of the series. It can be hard to know what to do with a story once your initial story arc has completed, and I think The Runaways does a great job to staying true to the characters and creating plot points an
Nate
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
While this volume didn't have the razor sharp focus and story arch as the first Runaways volume did this is still a great collection. The story follows world weary teens as they struggle on their own to right some of their parents wrongs and make a home for themselves as young fugitive super heroes living in a bunker under the La Brea tar pit. The story seems bigger even as there are more one off adventures but the stakes always seem higher than most super hero fare and Brian Vaughn is just a gr ...more
Jodie
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this volume, it didn't disappoint. The development of all the characters even the new ones was done really well and the plot never ceased to keep me on the edge of my seat. However, the last five issues in this bind-up included the beginning of Joss Whedon's run with these characters and it ruined the experience. The actions and dialogue all felt out of character and like a huge step back for some after the immense development and plot points that occurred before.
Gretchen Alice
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a relief to read Runaways in both a collected format AND a larger format. Those tiny little individual volumes gave me a headache...I must be getting old. This BKV and Alphona run is gorgeous and heartfelt and exciting and Avenger-tastic. I loved it.

(No surprise here, but the new Rainbow Rowell issue is also insanely good. I'm so glad I got on the Runaways train just in time to enjoy even more of it.)
Terry Murphy
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is no way to contain my excitement. This title is nothing short of incredible. The second volume exceeds the first and leaves you craving more. While most titles are content to throw meaningless fights at you and hope that you are number by splash pages, Vaughan crafts a simply told tale about adolescence and couches it in a world of superheroes. He continues to be one of my favourites, and he should be one of yours too.
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids
  • Young Avengers, Volume 2: Family Matters
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 2
  • Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, Volume 1
  • X-Factor, Vol. 2: Life and Death Matters
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 3: P.E.
  • Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, Volume 3)
  • Avengers Academy, Volume 2: Will We Use This in the Real World?
  • Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways
  • NextWave, Agents of H.A.T.E.: Ultimate Collection
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo

Runaways Deluxe (3 books)
  • Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 1
  • Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 3
“Victor: You guys have some kind of rallying cry? You know, "Avengers assemble?" "It's clobberin' time?" "Hulk smash?"
Nico: "Try not to die.”
20 likes
“Gert: What... what just happened?
Chase: I don't know, but guess who totally stole Cookie Monster's glasses!
Gert: Whew, for a second there, I was worried we almost learned something.
Chase: Ooo, look at me! I'm a big fluffy nerd!”
8 likes