Start by marking “Swab” as Want to Read:
Swab

Swab

Young Adult Dystopian: SWAB. Scarb are the enemy. The enemy. The enemy. I told myself this over and over. They murdered my parents. They rape the land and kill humans as if they are the vermin. They took Ray. I ran water over my face, looked at my eyes with their double lenses like two blue lakes: one navy, one ice. The enemy. And now I’m one of them.

Ray. I can almost se
Published May 9th 2014 by Akela Publishing (first published May 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Swab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swab

Start your review of Swab
Larry B Gray
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SWAB by Heather Choate is an excellent sci-fi & dystopia book that kept me glued to its pages. It is fast paced and full of action. The excitement never ends and I never got bored.

The author did a great job of developing a sci-fi tale which was real and very believable. She spun her story in such a way that it was easy to get involved in the story as an unseen extra character and follow along. I like this when I'm reading.

Heather Choate did an excellent job of character development. I came to k
Erika Winterlia
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I want to start by saying that this book is not bad (I have read much worse), and the writing is good. I do however have serious issues with so many things in this book that I just couldn't give it more than two stars, and the only reason it went from one to two stars was because I liked the writing. The main plot is OK and it's a very different thing than anything I have ever read before, so kudos to the writer for that.
But I had to really work to read this book from beginning to end. The first
Ctkatz
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
audiobook version

in this new fad of dystopic young adult novels, there's a scale. there are the good ones like the hunger games series and ready player one (although I think rp1 is more a general novel with a high school age protagonist), there are the decent ones like the reconners series and the maze runner series, and there are the not so good ones like the divergent series.

I would put this one above the divergent series.

my issue lies mostly with the protagonist. cat is ambitious looking to p
Sherry Ellis
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Humans are battling the SCARB - humanoid, bug-like creatures with origins from the Origin planet. These creatures have been murdering humans and making their lives miserable. Cat, a human, is fighting them with her boyfriend, Ray. During a fight, Ray is abducted by one of them. This is odd, because usually SCARBs just kill humans. The story gets odder when Cat and her friends become SCARBs themselves. Then it becomes a story of Cat versus the SCARB queen. That's all I'll say about the plot.

On th
Louise Hartgen
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For nearly six years, Cat has been fighting the enemy, the scarb, insectile, merciless, totally alien. they seemed to just appear one day and tore her world apart. Then they captured her boyfriend, the only man she could ever love. And then she became one of them, she became the enemy. How could she ever accept her life now, when her head and heart, everything she was, was human, but her body was scarb. And what about Ray, how could he love his enemy?

This was a really fascinating read. Cat, the
Sheila gullick
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written

Wonderfully written. Such strong characters. I was not expecting this at all so full of action. Love the up and downs. A for sure page turned
James
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great reading

Would be nice to have a colored drawing of Cat as a swab. Different kind of reading for what I normally read
holliehocks
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full review on my blog here.

I got this book for free from Amazon awhile back and just got around to reading it. I almost passed it by because the cover looks kinda bad to me, but I gave it a shot anyway. There was a lot of confusion and questions, especially in the first part, that didn't get resolved, but it was a good,quick read. Cat could get annoying at times, but I didn't dislike her character. I particularly enjoyed Derrick and Iva in this. The siblings relation was really sweet too. This
Kathy Cunningham
Heather Choate’s SWAB is being marketed as a “YA dystopian novel,” which would suggest comparisons to such books as “Hunger Games,” “Divergent,” or the “Uglies” series. Dystopian novels are generally set in a future would run by a totalitarian dictator who subjugates the masses for the benefit of an elite few (think President Snow). Choate’s world in SWAB actually reminds me more of the TV series “Falling Skies,” in which a rag-tag group of determined humans fight an almost impossible resistance ...more
K.M.J. K.M.J.
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
BOOK REVIEW PER KMJ BOOK REVEALS

Hey ya'll,

So I just finished reading the novel Swab by Heather Choate and it was amazing!

First off, Choate is truly a gifted writer! I loved every moment of Swab and being part of Cat's world as she tries to find a lost love and navigate through an earthly world overwhelmed by Scarb.

The highlight of this novel besides Choate's clever plot would have to be Derrick. I felt like he was the underdog of this story. Though Choate introduced him in the beginning briefly,
Tea
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the premise a lot; although I suspected the origin of the scarbs pretty much from page two (if it was revealed in in the blurb, I missed it), I was at all disappointed when my guess turned out to be right.

I didn't mind (too much) the missing quotation marks or the wrong words ("punch" instead of "punctuated", "course" instead of "coarse", and "week" instead of "weak" were among the standouts). I didn't even mind when one of the scarb sub-groups was called "scallion" rather than "scavlion
Melanie Rodriguez
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Seventeen year old Cat is a human in a world where humanity is dying off. The cause? Scarb. Creatures that appear human, only with bug-like features and great strength. They even kidnapped her love, Ray. Cat and others from her community get captured by the scarb during a battle raid and find themselves transformed into the very enemy they swore to destroy. While there were those who accepted their new path, Cat still questions her own. Ray is still missing, and the other scarb in the colony the ...more
Merredith
This is a book I got free from Amazon. It’s another dystopian young adult novel, but in this world, some intelligent beetles from outer space came and turned humans into scarbs, which are a cross between humans and insects. The rest of the humans tried to carry on, but the world was wrecked. Our main girl Cat is part of an attack against a hive of scarbs seven years after the end of the world, when she and some of her friends are captured and turned into scarbs themselves. They discover their cu ...more
Michele
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm torn between 2 and 3 stars. The book is not bad, I just didn't care for it. It is very intense - violent with lots of fighting, blood and gore. I had a hard time caring about Cat in the beginning and the ending is a real disappointment. In fact, Cat doesn't change emotionally or even grow at all through her challenges, so I had a really hard time caring about her. I'm not interested in reading the sequel.
Spring
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ok, so it's more of a romance than a sci-fi, but I liked it. The premise is facinating (though it does bother me that water kills scarb, but they still wash in it and drink it ...) and the characters are well developed and likeable. I will definitetly be reading the rest of the series as it comes out.
Kathy
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
3-1/2 ⭐️

It's not popular and it's not a movie... For a reason. It was interesting, but felt very young, maybe middle grade. There's something special about HER, she is the chosen one. But all she wants to do is get back to her old life, which no longer exists. I do want to read the next book tho, so I know I've been pulled in.
Randy
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
OK Tale

SWAB is an unusual novel with an alien race, the Scarborough, occupying much of Earth, fighting humans for control.

Some interesting ideas and situations with humans being converted.

Enjoyed the story, just not enough to pursue other entries in the series. An easy writing style that does keep the reader involved.
just another rachel
It started off really good. It had a great premise to begin with, but towards the middle things got kind of predictable to the point where it almost got comical, where I was like, "Umm, okay..."

It didn't leave me dying to know what happens in the next book.
Danielle Frappier
Feb 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Well... it was original, I'll give it that. But that's where the positives start and end. The writing was not very good. The characters were one dimensional; the dialogue cringe worthy and the plot holes... sigh.. I wanted to like this book but this just wasn't very good.
Valerie Waters
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was only ok for me. It was just weird. They start the book by taking them out with water but they drink it and can touch it later. So weird.
^foreva_^halterofilia1625 lluju and Rhys
this book is very interesant
because it deals with the life of a beautiful girl
Rachel Todd
May 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Good style of writing but wasn't for me. 1 star doesn't reflect the work the author put into the writing... It just means it wasn't for me.
Abby
Apr 17, 2015
Victoria Stockton
May 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• After the Ending (The Ending Series, #1)
  • The Breeders (Breeders, #1)
  • EHuman Dawn
  • When the Chips Are Down
  • Shredded
  • Tethered Twins
  • Lush (Lush, #1)
  • Electronic Gags
  • Polarities (Pendomus Chronicles #2)
  • Revolutions (Pendomus Chronicles #3)
  • The Moon Dwellers (The Dwellers, #1)
  • Too Much Information
  • The Island  (The Island #1)
  • The Way
  • Dystopian Dreams: Four Stories from The Last Book Café on Earth
  • Death of Secrets (Secrets, #1)
  • Artificial Evil (The Techxorcist, #1)
  • Off The Grid
Heather Choate was born in Littleton, Colorado. She now lives in a small town in Southern Colorado on a farm with her husband and five children. She chases chickens, declares war on the weeds in her garden and enjoys quietly people-watching. Most of her time is spent daydreaming of worlds and people that don’t actually exist, but reflect the beauty and complicity of humanity. Writing is her escape ...more