Start by marking “Atlantis Rising (Atlantis Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
Atlantis Rising (Atlantis Rising, #1)

Atlantis Rising (Atlantis Rising #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  431 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
You’ll never see me unless I want you to…

I am different. I have always been different, but no one can know or my life will be in danger. So I hide in plain sight, wearing drab clothes and thick glasses and trying to be invisible. I’m so good at hiding, no one has ever noticed me. Until Ian…the mysterious and oh-so-cute boy I know I need to avoid.

Now I have been seen. And m
Published January 6th 2015 by Entangled Teen

To ask other readers questions about Atlantis Rising, please sign up.
Alicia Rades I've noticed the exact same thing, although I have to say I think Atlantis Rising does a better job of pulling off this cover. I'm not a huge fan of…moreI've noticed the exact same thing, although I have to say I think Atlantis Rising does a better job of pulling off this cover. I'm not a huge fan of the font choice on The Vineyard. There's also the subtle difference that the girl on Atlantis Rising is chained down and she isn't on The Vineyard.

But I can easily tell you that it's because both used the same stock photo.

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.)

There wasn’t anything horribly wrong with this book, I just didn’t find it interesting.

The characters were alright, I didn’t love them but I didn’t hate them. I did think that Alison should have considered the fact that she wasn’t normal a little earlier given her ability to push thoughts into other people’s heads, but whatever.

The storyline in this was
Sofia T. (♥ Dimitri Belikov)
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying that I don’t usually read books like Atlantis Rising mainly because I hate “paranormal sea creatures” but the blurb really captured my attention. Once noticed, there was no getting away from it and I’m glad I requested it.

Alison knows that she’s different. Having grown up as an orphan, the only family she has ever known is the McKyes and she’s not willing to bring danger to their door. Because Alison has a secret. Three years ago, she met someone who knew exactly what she
Say
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A SOLID 4.5 STARS!!!

This was an impulse buy for me. And lately I've been evading new releases (especially if it's a trilogy/series) since there has been a huge amount of YA paranormal series that I felt was overhyped because of the amazing blurb and cover. But once you read it......it's just the same old story, with different names and setting. They tend to concentrate more on the love story between the characters rather than the "paranormal" aspect of it.

So when I first saw this (without readi
Lainey
Feb 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Actual Rating: 1.5/5

So I didn't dislike it, but I didn't like it either. After reading this I can say I just felt 'meh' about it and I don't like reading 'meh' books.

I found the characters ok, the plot was ok, the setting was ok, the rules were ok, the "atlantis children" aspect was ok. If you can't tell, I just found everything about this book was ok. I don't exactly have time for ok books. To me, Atlantis Rising was just unremarkable, it didn't impress me. I don't even know what else to say ab
Maghon Thomas
My First reaction to this book is don't always listen to reviews. LOL Yes, as you read my review I am telling you not to listen to me. Giggle. But here's why. The first few review posted weren't that great. And I almost didn't request a review copy because of it. Well, they lied. LOL No, they just have a different opinion than me. Because I actually loved this story. Because it's not what you're thinking. I know I automatically see the cover, hear Atlantis, and think mermaid, but maybe not. :) I ...more
Jaime Lester
I am not a huge fan of mermaid stories, no matter how many times I try, so when I initially saw the cover for Atlantis Rising, I passed it right on by. You know that "most UNpopular" saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover"? Well, people really need to say it more, get the word out, because there are people, like little old me, who completely suck at listening! I think I have learned my lesson, then I become a dummy.... yet again. Case in point: Atlantis Rising.

Now on to the ACTUAL review. On
ReadWriteLove28
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rev-on-amazon
If you’re looking for a re-telling of the children of Atlantis that is completely unique, you should definitely read Atlantis Rising. When I signed up to review this book, I didn’t know what to expect, because I somehow have never read a retelling of the children of Atlantis. Don’t ask me how; I’m not quite sure myself. With that being said, I am very happy that my first Atlantis retelling was such a success!

Alison was the epitome of a wallflower/loner/recluse. She didn’t talk to anyone, have an
Heather Brown
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teen, young adult
Alison tries to stay invisible to hide herself from an unknown threat. All she knows is that she is not human and that some would do anything to have her, including hurting Alison's adopted family. Successfully hiding for three years, Alison doesn't know how to react when the new students, Brandi and Ian, refuse to ignore her. It doesn't help that Ian is undeniably hot.
As Alison learns more about her power and about her people, she must make a decision - hide to protect her family or stand up an
Cheyenne
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
So this is going to be a super short review and I will add more too it when I process everything in the book. It was an amazing read. I couldn’t stress how this was wow. I mean I can’t say anything else about I’m shock and hope there is more to this book and world. Or even anything by this author. I want to say thanks to Entangled Teen because I got my copy via Netgally but also was doing this tour. Remember there is tons more I have to say about this book.

Bri
What I liked: I liked Lillian a lot, she was a character who I understood very well and I really liked her, even though she's a side character who isn't seen very much I found that her personality and the way she is came through very clearly and by far was my favorite character in the book. Both Alison and Ian were characters who were entertaining and I quite enjoyed following throughout the story. The romance in this story is more of a back burner piece to the story, it's there but it's not rea ...more
Kimber Wheaton
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

3.5 Stars

Atlantis Rising was a cute YA urban fantasy with fun characters and an interesting plot. Ever wonder what happened to the inhabitants of the legendary island Atlantis? Ms. Craw offers an intriguing take on old mythology.

Main character Alison knew she was different and one day found out from a random stranger just why. She was a Child of Atlantis, and a powerful man was after her rare power. Due to this short encount
Alison
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Alison Mckye is different. She's always known she was different. Ever since she discovered her life was in danger, Alison hides in plain sight. She wears drab clothing, think glasses.... And it worked, at least until Ian. The mysterious boy that she's attracted to but doesn't want to admit it.

I really enjoyed Atlantis Rising. I loved the characters. If a sequel comes out, I will most likely be reading it!
Erin
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
When looking at the cover I thought that this was a mermaids book. I love mythology books so I instantly requested this book from netgalley. I was pleasantly surprised when I started reading this book and found out that it is not about mermaids but about the descendants of Atlantis. Definitely recommend this book for people that like mythology and also about people with powers.
A Book Addict's YA Palace
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full review can be found here http://misslittlebookaddictya.blogspo... on MLBAYA

I admit, when I read the blurb for Atlantis Rising, I was expecting something with Mermaid or siren like creatures who lived under the water. Very pleasantly surprised by Gloria Craw when I got into Atlantis Rising and I realized this was not going to be anything like I had thought it would be. GREAT!
The Dewings (good guys of Atlantis) seemed more like magic beings (demi gods, witches, fae, or some other paranormal c
Shelby Young (The Haunted Rose)
Cover Thoughts-
This is one of my favorite covers. Something about it feels so ethereal. Even though you aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover I'm drawn to it, and I knew just from looking at it that I would love it.

First Thought-
The blurb gives off no hint to what the book actually has in store for you. Looking at the cover I think i'm in for something magical and the blurb doesn't really give me the whole affect. I had no idea what to expect from this novel.

Review-
The first part of the n
Lindy
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts:

Atlantis Rising was a magical story that came to life for me. I loved the fact that this fantasy used the mythology of Atlantis as the premise. I have never read a story like this one, and appreciated its uniqueness. I love when a book can offer me a wonderful escape filled with imagination, entertainment, and the need to turn the pages quickly.

Altantis Rising is about the descendants of Atlantis. These offspring blend in to human society, but live longer lives, age slower, have phot
Lauren
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
* I received this book for free by Entangled Teen for an honest review. *

Reading the summary for this book had me wanting to read this novel, so I more than happily jumped at the chance to do a review when asked. I'm really glad I did!

The fact that this story was based on Atlantis, or rather it's people, is the main point that pulled me in the most. I would love to find more books based on Atlantis, but I will take what I can get. However, the fact that it was based on Atlantis, a very mysterio
Elaine
This is a totally engaging story of super powered teens and family against age old foes.

The young lady who is the heroine of this tale entered the foster care system as a young child and has no idea about her natural parents or what happened to them. She was passed around for many years until the McKyes adopt her and she learnt to love them. Three years ago a stranger in a park told her why she felt different - it seems she’s a Dewing, a descendent of a superhuman species who were the original
Tanya
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
T & G Book Boutique Reviews

This book was published by Entangled Teen, so of course it had to be good! Atlantis Rising was unlike any book I have ever read. The cover, although very beautiful, is a bit misleading. Yes, we all know the story of Atlantis, the underwater city that disappeared centuries ago where it is said mermaids live, but we get a different story from our main character. I don’t want to talk about their capabilities without giving too much aw
Inah (The Bibliophile Confessions)
I really enjoyed reading this book! At first, I thought this was going to be about mermaids or something but it turned out to be more amazing than that! I loved the concept, it's very refreshing. Perfect to start the year with this one.

I loved the characters. I could definitely relate with Alison, an ordinary teenager I'd say. She's a bit introverted but I love how badass she can get. I also loved that even if she was adopted, she acknowledges her foster family. Her relationship with her foster
Shannon (Once Upon a Twilight)
*received an ARC from publisher in exchange for my honest review*

I liked this one; it was paranormal but staying away from the creatures of the night. The title alone dragged me in--Atlantis Rising. Greek mythology is my one bookish weakness and the title and cover just screamed “read me!” And I thoroughly enjoyed it!

What I liked most was how unconventional things were. Paranormal genre but no vampires or werewolves, Luke’s a Clan Chief but possesses no leadership skills and is a frail character
~ Rose ~ ☯Desert Rose❀
description
description

In the genre of paranormal, books about Atlantis, conspiracies, and people with supernatural powers are staples. It's often difficult to find a unique story, and because of that, gems end up standing out quite a bit. This is one of those stories, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to read it!

Even from the first chapter, this story felt different and fresh. From the writing style to the characters' personalities, this book offered a new story, and actually left me guessing what would happen next.
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
I received this book from Young Adult Bound Book Tours in return for a fair and honest review.

If you like stories based on Atlantis then I'm sure that you will enjoy this. It is a light, young adult book that incorporates a sideline of romance but it doesn't overpower the story.

Allison had a hard start in life. She was left in foster care at age 3 but she can't remember anything from before that. She was in the system for a while before being fostered and adopted by the McKyes. Three years ago
Cait
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an Advanced Galley Copy for review from Entangled Teen Publishing (Thank you!)

This story was so cute. I didn't want it to end, but I also think this may be the start of a series?

So in complete "judge a book by its cover" fashion, I thought this book would be about mermaids. I don't know why or where I drew that conclusion. I was pleasantly surprised by the story. There was a small amount of time at the very beginning where I thought I could be reading mermaid Twilight. Thankfully, thi
Victoria
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, it had a different and fresh type to it-beyond the normal vampire, warewolf, angels, demons, half whatevers. so I was pleasantly surprised by it. A young girl believes she must hide to keep her adoptive family safe-they are the only ones who stuck it out with her and truly care for her. she believes if shes boring and uninvolved no one would notice her in school but truly people just wonder whats wrong with her. She finds that she is one of the last in her clain and she is b ...more
Michelle (Adventure in Bookland)

I thought Atlantis Rising was a very intriguing idea; it took me a little time to get into the story. After I figured out what was going on I could not put the book down. I wanted to know more of what was going on in Alison’s life but also her species as a whole. I always like to look for character development while reading and I defiantly saw some in with in Alison and her friends.
I also liked that I was wrong about some things in the story and didn’t see some of the twists; I was surprised ab
Alyssa
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Overall, 'Atlantis Rising' was a well written book. It was plotted out quite well, no scene was wasted. There were close knit families, deep friendships, and a smidge of romance. Mind battles, physical fights, and plenty of mystery. I'm so glad I picked this one up and am looking forward to a sequel where I can *hopefully* learn more about the dewing and Allison's mysterious powers. Recommended for anyone looking for fantasy, slightly urban, or a good story involving mind powers and sav
Caitlin Bauer
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

ATLANTIS RISING was a surprisingly enjoyable and fresh YA read! The characters were strong, complex, and well developed. Alison and Ian have great chemistry and this is one of the few reads in the YA genre where their relationship seems to take a natural progression. Insta-attraction, but not roll-your-eyes insta-love. Well done.

Gloria Craw rocked the world building and pacing as well. Would love to read more of th
Arianna
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Honestly I adored this book!!!! That is simply the only way to put how I feel about it. Gloria craw did a spectacular job of taking an old myth and Turing it into something new a intriguing. As a compliance reader who has read a great deal of books in her lifetime this will probably become one of my favorites. I highly recomend this book to anyone looking for a fun, captivating, I-can't-put-this-down book to read!!!!!
YA Reads Book Reviews
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nichole
Originally posted on www.yareads.com, reviewed by Nichole.

The first thing I want to discuss about Atlantis Rising is the cover. I went into this book knowing that it wasn’t about mermaids, but the cover might be a little confusing to someone who hasn’t read the synopsis. So, this is your up front warning that Atlantis Rising is not about mermaids.

Atlantis Rising was a good read full of action, adventure, and a simmering romance. The characters were intriguing; I especially enjoyed Ian’s characte
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jul 06, 2015 08:25PM
  • Gathering Frost (Once Upon a Curse, #1)
  • Fifteen (The Dreamwalker Diaries #1)
  • Bloodrealms (Bloodmark Saga, #2)
  • Star Trek/Planet of the Apes: The Primate Directive
  • Henge (Le Fay #1)
  • Of Sea and Stone
  • Chasing Ravens
  • The Summer Marked (The Winter People, #2)
  • Never Hurt Me (The Wish Makers, #3)
  • Bleed
  • The Blood of the Hydra (Elementals, #2)
  • Dangerous Depths (The Sea Monster Memoirs #2)
  • Red
  • Enlightened (Eve #2)
  • Mist on Water
  • Shadow of Deception (The Kazumi Chronicles, #1)
  • Anomaly (Schrodinger's Consortium, #1)
  • The Iron Queen (Daughters of Zeus, #3)
I grew up in the desert southwest, inspired everyday by the wide skies and rich colors around me. I attended the University of Utah where I got a degree in anthropology. These days, I live in the burbs just outside of Seattle, Washington. I'm married and have four daughters. When I'm not running them to volleyball or swimming, I'm reading, writing or fangirling over some TV show.
More about Gloria Craw

Atlantis Rising (3 books)
  • Atlantis Quest (Atlantis Rising, #2)
  • Atlantis Reborn (Atlantis Rising, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Ian was too Captain America for my taste.” 0 likes
“Sorry," Ian said with a sympathetic wince of his own.
It was the sting, not the apology, that irritated me, but I took it out on him anyway. "You've said sorry like...four times now," I growled. "Stop repeating yourself."
"Sorry," he replied automatically.
When the absurdity of his fifth apology occurred to me, I couldn't hold the laughter back. It burst out of me and rang off the walls. Ian joined in. That's when I saw the full force of his smile coupled with a laugh, and my breath caught in my throat. It was beautiful. He was beautiful.
"I don't see what you two think is so funny," Paula interjected.”
0 likes