Start by marking “Pop Goes the Weasel (Helen Grace, #2)” as Want to Read:
Pop Goes the Weasel (Helen Grace, #2)

Pop Goes the Weasel (Helen Grace #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  9,524 Ratings  ·  1,111 Reviews
DI Helen Grace returns in Pop Goes the Weasel, the electrifying new thriller from M. J. Arlidge.

The body of a middle-aged man is discovered in Southampton's red-light district - horrifically mutilated, with his heart removed.

Hours later - and barely cold - the heart arrives with his wife and children by courier.

A pattern emerges when another male victim is found dead and e
Published September 11th 2014 by Penguin Books (UK) (first published September 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Pop Goes the Weasel, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Rinkesh Bafna It definitely is worth reading. It's one that book where you really start feeling pity for the guilty. Go for it !

Kaceey - Traveling Sister
4.5*
Book two from M.J. Arlidge picks up just one month after book one, Eeny-Meeny, and it’s shocking ending. No spoilers here...though I do recommend going back and starting from the beginning before diving into this one.

Helen and her team of detectives are once again called into a beyond-bizarre murder case. Men are being butchered in the seediest parts of town, and in such a gruesome manner. Their hearts are removed! With few clues and false leads, the team is running in circles with next to
Melissa
WARNING - this book is unputdownable! Sacrificing sleep, avoiding responsibilities and dragging this book everywhere, in the hopes of sneaking in ‘just one more chapter’, is inevitable. That’s the life I've been living for the last day and a half, at least. It was the short chapters that served as a catalyst for my obsession. Have I mentioned how much I adore short chapters?

Where this book lacked in character development, it more than made up for with the frenetic energy, the jarring twists and
Susanne Strong
5 Gruesome and Completely Gripping Stars!!

Well Blimey M. J. Arlidge, you sure got my attention with this one.

“Pop Goes the Weasel” features Detective Inspector Helen Grace back at it. This time, she finds a man’s body in a derelict house. He has been brutally murdered, his heart having been removed. It is then sent to his now widow in a brown cardboard box. A few days later it happens again. This time, the heart is sent to the man’s work place. It appears that these men had something in common:
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it

This is the second book in the Helen Grace Series. This is another series that I just love. This was an engrossing read with gruesome details in such a way that I couldn't stop reading it. It is unputdownable. With detailed character development and twists and turns that keep you guessing till the very end. I loved this book better than the first book.
It is a dark gritty thriller.

DI Helen Grace and her team are faced a few months down the line with a growing string of male dead bodies, horribl
Sue
“Pop Goes The Weasel” by M J Arlidge, in the Detective Helen Grace series, is the second book in this crime series…and I feel it is even better than his debut novel, Eeny Meeny, which I loved.

I would suggest that it is advisable that you read Eeny Meeny, before you read this novel, as the second book has spoilers, that will ruin it for you to go back and read the first book. Pop Goes The Weasel, is gory in some parts, but this is necessary to the plot and story.

Our Hero, Detective Inspector Hel
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
'The world is full of killers, liars and thieves.'

There is not a lot of theft going on in this book, but there are plenty of liars and a lot of killing.

A man's body is found in an empty house. Then a gruesome memento of his killing is delivered to his wife and children.

Pop Goes The Weasel is #2 in the DI Helen Grace series and the third book in the series that I have read. I enjoyed the other two, but didn't think they were anything special. Pop Goes The Weasel, however, was an engrossing read
Phrynne
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
Just lately it seems mystery and crime authors are competing with each other to create the most disgusting and nauseating murder scenes and M.J. Arlidge is up there with the best. Removing a person's heart (starting the procedure before they have actually died of course) and delivering it to their family in a Tupperware container is pretty hard to beat.

As this is a serial killer there is a lot of blood and a lot of Tupperware and it makes for enthralling reading. I raced through this book on the
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Barely putting down the first book to the Helen Grace Series, Eeny Meeny, Kaceey and I started reading this one and were soon were lost in the overgrown grassy and murky Coulee. There is plenty of action to this cat and mouse game that Helen and her colleagues were on with this sadistic killer in this game.

Pop goes the Weasel is a gripping, and disturbing entertaining story that soon became the favorite for the two for us. Even though this one was more gruesome and disturbing than the first in
Jan

Book 2 in the crime series featuring Detective Helen Grace picked up right where Eeny Meeny (Helen Grace, #1) by M.J. Arlidge left off, so I highly recommend for those considering to read this book that you read them in order. There are a lot of references that are important to know to help understand character relationships and development.

As in the first book, the author pushes the storyline forward with short, quick chapters-none lasting more than 5 pages. While I am usually a fan of short chapters, I think sometimes the plo
Linda Strong
Sometimes I find a new author, a new series to follow that I think is absolutely terrific and give it a 5 star rating. Then I move onto the second book and it falls way short of my expectations. I really, really hate when that happens.

Fortunately, this is not one of those times. The second book in this series is just as good, if not better, than EENY MEENY (BK 1).

DI Helen Grace makes a wonderful series character. She has so many issues, but in such interesting ways. There is so much to her ...
Lisa
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say I'll just shout this out I just LOVE this series Pop Goes The Weasel was brilliant in the way the plot was so well developed all the gang are back to solve an horrendous murder then we see Helen's character develop even further, she has to fight to be heard & was on the outer with Emilia the journo who I might say was one of the most annoying characters in the book.

The ending was brilliant blew me away I just hope No 3 is just as engrossing as this was , just Hope Emilia is l
Maria
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gostei bastante deste livro. No seguimento do 1º deste autor, continuamos com emoção e suspense, na resolução de crimes cometidos por um serial killer. Capítulos curtos, escrita fluida, que prende do inicio ao fim. Mas tenho de confessar, gostei mais do 1º... mas lá em casa já estão o 3º e o 4º livro desta saga. Ansiosa por os ler :)
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Crime Fans, Serial Killer Lovers, Everyone
Freaking fantastic book! Oh my goodness, I did not think the next book following Eeny Meeny would be this good, in my opinion this is better, much better so that's a high bit of praise indeed. Crime is my most loved and certainly most read genre, I can't get enough of it, so a fresh new author in the mix is really exciting.

Detective Inspector Helen Grace is BACK in this book, now firstly, let me say if you have not read Eeny Meeny this book does have spoilers in it about the first book, big one
Matt
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
In this sensational follow-up novel, Arlidge leads readers down the path with another psychological thriller that does not let up until the final sentence. Taking place a year after events in the previous novel, DI Helen Grace is back to work with a somewhat newly constituted team, as well as a new superior. When a man is found brutally murdered in a flop house, his heart cut from his body, Grace and the team commence their investigation. The organ is soon shipped to the family's doorstep, where ...more
Thanos
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Το δεύτερο βιβλίο της σειράς σίγουρα είναι καλύτερο από το πρώτο. Η γραφή έχει βελτιωθεί όπως επίσης και οι χαρακτήρες και όλα έχουν ένα μεγαλύτερο βάθος σε αυτό το βιβλίο. Αυτή τη φορά δίνεται αρκετή σημασία σε λεπτομέρειες τύπου «ποιος» και «γιατί».

Οι δολοφονίες είναι και πάλι ανατριχιαστικές (το έχει το θεματάκι του ο συγγραφέας τελικά) οπότε όποιος δεν μπορεί καθόλου τις σκηνές βίας, θα πρέπει να προσπεράσει κάποιες σελίδες!

Εάν έχετε αρχίσει το πρώτο βιβλίο της σειράς με πρωταγωνίστρια την Έ
Julie
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pop Goes the Weasel: A DI Helen Grace Thriller by M. J. Arlidge is a 2015 NAL publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A dark, intense, gritty, edge of your seat thriller!

This is the second book in the Helen Grace series and if you have not read the first book, I highly recommend you read it before starting this one, since the story pretty much picks up where the last one left off and there are spoilers.

As you may recall, H
Andrea
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Brilliant second book to this series.love the characters of this book looking forward to the next book.this one about men being murdered who are involved in prostituting the killer leaving a box containing part of the victim to there family.great read.
Brenda
Detective Inspector Helen Grace returned to the job quickly after her last explosive case, but she was still having major issues. But when they were called to the dilapidated and abandoned building which was frequented by drug users and prostitutes alike, Grace didn’t expect the horror they would face. The dreadful mutilation was brutal – with the victim’s heart having been removed in an amateurish fashion there was blood was everywhere. But worse was to come when his worried wife received a par ...more
Brenda
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is M. J. Arlidge's second novel, and I think it's fantastic. My only problem was that I couldn't recall all the history of the characters from the first book, Eeny Meeny, but that didn't affect my enjoyment.

Helen, Charlie, Tony, and the rest of the crew work well together. Helen's new supervisor was a piece of work, as was the journalist, and neither of them appear to have suffered any consequences. The investigation was multifaceted with Tony undercover and others sent to check on things.
Dora Santos Marques
A minha opinião em vídeo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv-8j...

Foi o segundo livro que li do Arlidge e embore o compare muito ao primeiro, gostei menos deste.
O thriller é intrigante e lê-se muito bem mas não achei nada de especial.
Não consigo criar grande empatia pelas personagens, principalmente pela Helen Grace...
Penso que tão depressa não leio Arlidge...
Janet
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
So, we come to book two in the series and for me this was a better read.

A male body turns up dead in a red light district with his heart missing which is then delivered to his wife at home in a package. Shocking in the extreme, the case is taken on by DI Grace. More bodies are discovered also in prostitution areas which leads to the MIT team concluding they have another serial killer on their hands. More bodies, more missing parts delivered to loved ones - why?

Characters from the previous book a
Ammar
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Helen Grace series is as good as the first book. The characters evolve and Helen is more humane and realizing that her past is her past and she trying to live the moment and help.

A serial killer strikes again
The victims are married men who enjoy prostitutes
A search takes place
The killer is on the loose and time is of an essence

Roula
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
omg!!!! αυτο αρχισε πολυυυυυ πιο δυνατα απο το α μπε μπα μπλομ...μακαρι να συνεχιστει ετσι..
Vicky Ziliaskopoulou
Ας ξεκινήσω λέγοντας ότι είναι πολύ καλύτερο από το πρώτο, όχι τόσο όσον αφορά την υπόθεση αλλά κυρίως όσον αφορά τη σκιαγράφηση των χαρακτήρων και τον τρόπο γραφής.
Το αδιόρατο "κάτι" που με εκνεύριζε στην Έλεν Γκρέις στο πρώτο βιβλίο δεν υπάρχει τώρα, είναι πιο ανθρώπινη, έχει συναισθήματα και οι αντιδράσεις της είναι κατανοητές και σαφώς επεξηγημένες. Το ίδιο ισχύει για όλους όσους παρουσιάζονται στο βιβλίο (εκτός ίσως από την αρχηγό του Αστυνομικού Τμήματος που νομίζω ότι αντιδρά υπερβολικά-
Anabel
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este autor lo ha vuelto a conseguir, pero esta vez a mejor. La primera parte me encantó, pero es que esta segunda parte he conseguido congeniar mucho más con Helen y con el resto de personajes. Me gusta el ritmo trepidante de este autor desde las primeras páginas, un ritmo constante que no nos dejará respirar. Su manera de hacernos creer que el asesino es alguien que no lo es, su forma de demostrarnos que nada es lo que aparenta. Ya se ha convertido en uno de mis escritores favoritos. Un libro m ...more
Daisy
I want to thank Netgalley for an ARC of this book for an honest review.

This is the second Helen Grace novel. I read Eeny Meeny, the first in the series, and loved it. The second was just as good. I had a hard time putting this down.

This story raced along. I was really surprised with the plot twists. The end was a huge shock.

I definitely recommend this series if you like thrillers/police procedurals.

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
In some cases is it quite alright to read books out of order. But I have to admit that I felt when I started this book that I perhaps should have read the first Eeny Meeny first because the character in this book is still trying to put their lives together after the happenings in the first book. Also, now that I know the identity of the person behind everything in the first book will it be less "fun" to read the first book when I get to it.

Detective Inspector Helen Grace is back after her ordeal
Joanne Freitas
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muito melhor que o primeiro volume! Muito mais intenso e de mais abordagem psicológica. Adorei cada página, capítulos pequenos que incentivam a leitura de início ao fim.
Cititor Necunoscut
Un singur colet și existența ta, aparent banală, este dată peste cap pentru totdeauna. O soție devotată, mamă iubitoare, găsește într-o dimineață, în pragul ușii un colet sinistru, în care găsește inima soțui său. În același timp, într-o casă dărăpănată, dintr-un cartier rău famat din Southampton, populat de prostituate, proxeneți și traficanți de droguri, este găsit trupul gol al unui bărbat, legat de pat și fără inimă.

Inspectoarea Helen Grace își continuă munca în secția de poliție din Southam
Gary
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
The 2nd book in the Detective Inspector Helen Grace series by MJ.Arlidge. I would like to thank Net Galley for giving me this book to review and after just finishing the first one moments before it was an easy task. I enjoyed it and possibly should have given it a four star rating but it wasn't quite as good as the first book so I scored it a little lower. Another fast paced action thrilled book that grows and grows, the lead character can develop so much and the two books have only brushed the ...more
  • The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan #2)
  • Eden (Archer & Bennett, #2)
  • Bloodstream (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #3)
  • After the Fire (Maeve Kerrigan, #6)
  • Wolf (Jack Caffery, #7)
  • Desperate Measures (Gabriel Ash and Hazel Best, #3)
  • Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter, #1)
  • The Killing Club (DS Heckenburg, #3)
  • What You Left Behind (DCI Lorraine Fisher #2)
  • The Truth Will Out (DCI Helen Lavery #2)
  • Prayer for the Dead (Inspector McLean, #5)
  • Dark Screams: Volume Four
  • Pariah (Callum Doyle #1)
  • She's Never Coming Back
  • Jigsaw Man (Mark Tartaglia, #4)
  • The Nightmare Place
  • L'ipotesi del male
  • Dead Silent (Calladine & Bayliss, #2)
M.J. Arlidge has worked in television for the last 15 years, specialising in high end drama production. Arlidge has produced a number of prime-time crime serials for ITV In the last five years, and is currently working on a major adaptation of The Last of the Mohicans for the BBC.
More about M.J. Arlidge

Helen Grace (8 books)
  • Eeny Meeny (Helen Grace, #1)
  • The Doll's House (Helen Grace, #3)
  • Liar Liar (Helen Grace, #4)
  • Little Boy Blue (Helen Grace, #5)
  • Hide and Seek (Helen Grace, #6)
  • Love Me Not (Helen Grace, #7)
  • Down to the Woods (Helen Grace #8)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Six Wakes
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Bluegate Fields (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #6)
  • Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)