Start by marking “Meat” as Want to Read:
Meat

Meat

Abyrne is a decaying town, trapped by an advancing wilderness. Its people depend on meat for their survival, meat supplied by the processing plant on the edge of town.

Meat is sanctified in Abyrne, a precious commodity eaten with devout solemnity by everyone except for a handful of people who won't, who suspect that the town is evil, rotten to its core.

A feud smoulders betw
Published February 1st 2008 by Bloody Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Meat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meat

Start your review of Meat
Stephen
4.0 stars. This novel has one of the most shocking and disturbing dystopian settings I have come across in a long time. While I decided to give this book 4 stars overall, I am going to address two main segments of the story so that I can better address the merits of each.

PART 1: Introduction to the Town of Abryne and its residents

The initial set up of the book which includes the first half of the novel is NOTHING SHORT OF AMAZING and easily worthy of 5 stars in my opinion. It is one of the most
Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn)
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard horror fans
Recommended to Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) by: Curiosity got the better of me.

5 Stars for this Gloriously Depraved and Shockingly Disturbing Horror Fiction

MEAT is set in a dystopian world where veganism is blasphemous and punishable by gruesome death. Richard Shanti, a top cattle stunning stockman proudly known as 'Ice Pick' is a legendary figure in Abyrne. No one would have thought he would be risking not only his life but his family's as well for denying meat as his sustenance. Shanti was torn between protecting his family and appeasing his tumultuous conscience that is
Lou
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, april-list
‘WE WANT MEAT!”
This is a bitter struggle for supremacy between The Meat Baron of The Magnus Meat Processing plant and The Welfare headed by The Grand Bishop for control of Abyrne a town where people know nothing else except “We want Meat to eat”. Well that’s what they have been forced and cohered into, a doctrine of Sacred Meat and nothing else to survive on but is that really all there is to their existence?
One sole provider of special Meat, one force of power, one leader.
There are a few bel
Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction
Nov 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: animal activists, horror fans
I've read many horrific things and thought I'd "read it all" but this one is genuinely frightening because I can see things going this way in the case of an apocalypse or other such disaster, with those in a position of power taking advantage of those without. Call me gloomy but I don't have a lot of faith in man.

It's very thought provoking and reinforces my belief that raising animals in horrible conditions for meat and profit is wrong (though I'm not a vegetarian this book may just push me ove
Angel Gelique
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
 photo e1573413-ed32-4860-a8f7-6542626a3aa5_zpsed04128f.jpg

Meat explores a town within a wasteland where the tenets of a new religion require the consumption of meat. Meat from the "Chosen" stock--cattle--is prepared at the Magnus Meat Processing Plant (MMP), where the high and mighty Meat Baron, Rory Magnus, reigns supreme. For generations, the inhabitants of Abyrne have embraced the religion and those fortunate enough to afford the sacred meat readily consume it enthusiastically. Yet a handful of citizens have begun to question the morality and in
Helen
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A brutal, grim and thought-provoking book that had me hooked from the very beginning.
Even with a title like 'Meat', I still found myself shocked. The premise of the story isn't fully revealed in all its true horror too early, as a result there was at least one occasion when I had to go back and re-read the odd sentence - 'does that mean what I think it means?! FINGERS?! No!'
I thought the way business and religion each exploited the food chain and townspeople was an excellent examination of our o
Kathryn
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was looking through my reads so far from this year and Meat stands out as being at least in the top ten. I have been remiss in not writing anything at all. I see more than a few of my friends have this book marked as to-read and I really think most of you should move it up your list.

I want to recommend this book to the masses but in reality, this may be too much for most people to stomach. Meat, American Psycho, and Blood Meridian are the most graphic and violent books I have read, so if you
Jude Felton
Dec 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, novel
One Hell of a disturbing novel. I thoroughly enjoyed every page of it, and would recommend it to all fans of dark literature.
Elizabeth Bedlam
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very ugly story written in a most beautiful way.
Deviant-Muse
I was expecting a horror book, but instead I got a book that, I felt, was preaching to me. The subject matter could be horrific providing it really happened, but it did not.

This book left me feeling ripped-off and praying for its end to near almost halfway through the book. I also found myself falling asleep, literally, during most of it.

I am extremely picky about my books and this one came highly-recommended. I gave this book two stars because it had the potential to be a great horror. The ext
Juxian
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are some books that feel like written specially for me. Like everything in them is exactly the way and in exact measure that I need, that works for me. This book was one of those. From the moment I opened it – and we immediately clicked. Well, you probably need to know that my favorite comfort reads include “The Exorcist”, “It” and “Battle Royale”, so it might be saying something about my taste. I wouldn’t risk recommending it – but I loved it so much.
It was shocking - and it never got le
Maicie
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
First 'horror' book I've ever given 5 stars. Original and gut-wrenching. Another one of those books I'm going to drive people crazy with by pushing them to read it ASAP.

Note to friends and family: do not read the reviews for this book. Take it all in with fresh eyes. And an empty stomach.

Spoilers - Spoilers

Greville Snipe is decidedly the creepiest character in fiction. The sleazebag got what he deserved.

I wondered about a prion disease, too. Very fitting to the tale.

The thing that most distur
Simon McHardy
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I know this book has been heralded by some once were carnivores as a catalyst in their conversion to veganism. It had the opposite effect on me. I consumed six blue steaks reading this tome and enjoyed every delicious morsel...both book and meat.
Rob Twinem
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meat best avoided! This is an unusual novel and may well result in the reader abstaining from meat products upon completion. The horror in the book comes from the descriptions and events that occur in MMP (Magnus Meat Packaging)

Richard Shanti “the ice pick” is a stunman and it is his job to fire a bolt gun into the brow of the cow as it passes in front of him on its way to immortality and someone’s Sunday roast! In the community of Abyrne meat is viewed as a precious commodity all must partake,
Fiona
The eyes were luminous woodland green. The eyes were polished antique brown. The eyes were wise grey. The eyes were the blue of free skies and shattered sapphires. The eyes were ringed with the whites of pleading, whites of staring. The eyes were set in resolute white. Trapped in resigned white. Surrounded by the whiteness of death. The eyes spoke to him because the owners of the eyes could not.
Though he did not listen, he could not help but hear.

This is one of the strangest novels I've ever re
Plum-crazy
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Oh my - what a read! It's a book that just begs to be discussed face-to-face with other readers, it's raised so many questions that I want answering & want to talk about...but I don't want to spoil it for future readers so I'll hold my tongue :o)

Suffice to say I was totally gripped by this book. It was a much better tale than I was expecting. I was dreading it being the written version of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" - all blood, gore & guts & no real storyline but I'm glad to say I was wrong..
Melissa
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: yikes
Kat
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: udate, horror, dystopia
I first listened to Meat as audiobook in January 2011. I love audiobooks but I'm pretty particular about them - the narrator has to make me feel part of the book, and the story needs to capture my attention enough that I'm not distracted by things around me. And the audiobook version certainly met my requirements on both, but it didn't feel quite 'enough' - I wanted to read it for myself. So although I rarely re-read books, I decided this one was good enough to get me to read it again.

Let me be
Bookowl1000
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I did not find the descriptions of how 'the chosen' were processed to be overly horrific. I did not find it shocking as I am already familar with the processes involved in factory farming, hence why I have been a vegetarian for 16 years. What struck my was how unemotional the descriptions were; you could have been reading a manual on meat processing. That was the point. This happens every day, with millions of people as willing participants, as they are 'just animals' not like us...the exact men ...more
Stephen
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was the grossest book with the biggest "yuk" factor ever but also one of the most thought provoking and memorable if you can cope with that. Not normally into horror books but this and the other dystopian D'Lacey book that I have read Black Feathers are so well written that you get drawn right into their worlds.

"Meat" wasn't quite enough to make me a vegetarian but I did find myself googling videos of slaughterhouses after reading it (Oprah Winfrey one on that is most balanced one that I f
Monte
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just, wow.

A truly incredible book. Well written and thought out, with a mystery delicately folded in. This is some next level writing, and I loved every bit of it!
Barbara Pierpont
Very terrifying book and worth the read. I'm still shivering from reading it! ...more
Brittney
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Jungle meets the Handmaid's tale in this disturbing novel. Some parts were too horrifying to imagine and hard to get through. But still I could not put it down. ...more
Cassi Riley
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Twisted! Intense!

Five Stars!!! Hands down one of the BEST I have read this year by far!! I was confused at first due to the descriptions of the animals. It quickly became apparent what was really happening. This book is disgusting, horrifying, emotional, and all around AMAZING. I read this book in 2 days. I recommened it to my sister and a few friends who I know would enjoy this book. I did NOT feel preachy whatsoever. Coming from a Pagan and reading other reviews saying it was... tru
Lauren
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is possibly the darkest and most disturbing book I think I have ever read. Normally don't read horror but this was so gripping and as soon as I bought it I was dying to read it.

There are several characters to hate in this book but Magnus is a a great villain. He was written in such a way to rival some of the worst literature villains known.

Word of warning, this book is not for the squeamish!
Angel
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a seriously messed up book. Liked it quite a bit, but damn it left me with chills. Took me a while to read it, because I see live stock quite a bit on my way to and from work.
Rob Miller
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Though I’m sure to upset some authors and publishers who, understandably, want five-star reviews, I’ve my own definition of the five-star system.

*One Star: A crime against God and man.
*Two Stars: Poor, or otherwise not ready for publication.
*Three Stars: A solid work worth the money/read.
*Four Stars: A superior, award-worthy achievement.
*Five Stars: A standard setter, a work to stand the test of time, a work to be studied and read again and again….

Meat, by Joseph D’Lacey
A Genre-bending Nightmare
Marcus Turner
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit! What a book! Grotesque, disturbing, but a fantastic example of why horror is far above the "low genre" status with which it is often prescribed. Although at times it could be seen to be preachy, the story and pace overwhelm that, but there will be no doubt a takeaway- if not a conversion, then a deep reflection on where our food comes from. The metaphor within the horror isn't subtle but it's not meant to be. The bald-facedness of it forces us into the uncomfortable position of the st ...more
Angela Kelly
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't think I can adequately do justice to just how good this book is, and how lucky was I to win a copy from Goodreads?

Firstly, do not read this book if you have a weak stomach, it is graphic to the extreme. There are scenes of slaughter, torture, impalement and cruelty of all descriptions and yet I just could not put it down. This is no gratuitous gore-fest however. Joseph D'Lacey has created a dystopian cityscape which crackles with tension and intrigue. As grim and grisly as the prose can
Kathy
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Truly, one of the best books that I've read in a while! This book doesn't rely on grossing you out to horrify you, but builds the suspense and horror with every page. When I thought I knew where it was going....I was like "no, it wouldn't." and it didn't come out to say it until the end. This book truly blew me away. This book was a book I borrowed from the library, but definitely feel that I need to own it. This is a reread for sure! It will leave you thinking long after the last page, how is t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Claw
  • Gills
  • They Came with the Rain
  • Under the Wicked Moon: A Novel
  • By the Light of His Lantern: A Novel
  • The City
  • If I Die Before I Wake: Tales of Karma and Fear (The Better Off Dead Series #1)
  • The Hill (The Spread #1)
  • Relentless (Relentless #1)
  • Dead Inside
  • How Much 2
  • 12
  • Kind Nepenthe
  • Of Foster Homes and Flies
Became vegetarian after writing MEAT. Fond of meditation, unfathomable questions and cats.

Repped by Robert Dinsdale.

"Joseph D'Lacey rocks!" Stephen King.