Start by marking “El Niño Feliz: Su Clave Psicológica” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
El Niño Feliz: Su Clav...

Dorothy Corkille Briggs

El Niño Feliz: Su Clave Psicológica

Step-by step guidelines for raising responsible, productive, happy children. Self-image is your child's most important characteristic. How to help create strong feelings of self-worth is the central challenge for every parent and teacher. The formula for how is spelled out in Your Child's Self-Esteem.

A member of Phi Beta Kappa and other honoraries, Dorothy Corkille Briggs
Published (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about El Niño Feliz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Niño Feliz

Emma Weine
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: would-read-again
Hands down the best "parenting" book of its kind. Child-Psychology demystified. Absolutely invaluable and should be read by every parent, parent-to-be, and by anyone who wants to know what goes on in a child's mind and why. Once read, you will never look at, or talk to kids the same way again. You will respect them, understand them, see the world and things in it from their point of view and just generally 'get' them more than you ever did before. It shows how you can help your child to have hea ...more
Kelly
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved so many of the ideas in this book. The main idea is to help your child feel that they are lovable/worthwhile just because they exist -- that love/worth is not contingent on behavior (good or bad), actions, etc. She stresses allowing your child to have valid thoughts, emotions, feelings, and supporting those things. I had to get it back to the library so I skipped the part about the adolescent years. The only thing I didn't like were her views on sexuality and self esteem. Other than that ...more
Holly Harris
Sep 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great one to read for any parent. It helps you understand different developmental stages your child goes through -thus giving you tools to help you and them get through those stages smoothly. SAVED MY LIFE WITH A TWO YEAR OLD!
Kimmer
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. It was given to me when I was pregnant with the twins, by a friend who raised 2 amazing children...one who had Downs Syndrome. I've read it several times and love.the message of the book.
Michel Cohen
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Resumo bem escrito sobre desenvolvimento emocional, com dicas interessantes.
Robin
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Half of this book was interesting and a well written explanation of how self-esteem in children can be built and how important it is. The other half was full of dated views on women/girl's abilities and homophobic ideas relating to sexual identity.
Catherine
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the only "How to Raise Your Child" book I ever found invaluable.
Faith Freewoman
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The proof is in the pudding.

When my daughter Julia was 7 years old, I was told by teachers, principal, counselors and social workers that I could never expect her to read above 3rd grade level, and must be prepared to support her all her life.

They also noted, as an aside, that she was remarkably well adjusted for someone with her multiple and complex learning disabilities.

Julia is more than 30 now, graduated cum laude with a B.S., did an internship at Stanford, and is now in a masters degree pro
Rachel
Jun 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the main points of the book were pertinent, and there was a lot of good advice on building self esteem. Particularly helpful sections talked about the things parents do to show love, and how some do, and some do not correspond with whether a child feels loved. It is a very practical book, and I liked that a lot. Many parts rang true both as the parent I am now, and from what I remember from being a child. I really liked the advice on what to do when children are upset or angry, and poi ...more
Sue Kozlowski
This book was recommended by a friend and it has been very helpful with my relationship with my daughter. There is a picture of a baby on the cover but don't let that deter you- the book covers birth to adolescent.

The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that I didn't really like the 2nd part of the book. Like other reviewers said, it has very dated views on homosexuality and sex in general.

The first 1/2 of the book really made me change the way I look at my kids. I always thought I had an open m
Gabriel
Jul 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
As with any book of this nature, one must maintain a very critical attitude. There are some really valuable ideas here, but the majority of the book is not worthwhile. The first two parts of the book are excellent. There are great ideas on how to help your child's self-esteem and how to make sure your child knows that you love him or her. The next 5 sections are barely worthwhile. Much of the psychology is extremely out of date (the book was written in 1975). I think the major ideas of these lat ...more
Ananda
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta é uma boa leitura não apenas para que tem filhos ou pretende ter, mas para todas as pessoas que se interessam por comportamento. É muito interessante ter uma ideia, ainda que vaga, de por que agimos de determinadas formas quando crianças e por que algumas dessas atitudes tem reflexo direto nas nossas ações adultas como, por exemplo, a insegurança.
A educação, os exemplos, a maneira com que fomos conduzidos na infância diz muito sobre o humano que nos tornamos e sobre a autoconfiança que adq
Meghan
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I think they should send parents home with a copy when they leave the hospital with their newborns instead of a pack of Enfamil. This book really opened my eyes to things I didn't think were that important, but can make a huge difference in your child in the long run. I though I was already a good parent, but everyone could use a little improvement. I'm glad I was recommended this book because it is so helpful! This is my #1 go-to book when I need guidance on discipline and oth ...more
Anette
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rigtig god bog, men lidt kedelig. Man skal virkelig ville den for indholdets skyld, og fordi man har besluttet sig for at lære noget – den læser bestemt ikke sig selv. Den kunne med fordel være peppet op i sproget, have bedre og mere vedkommende cases eller have bare antydningen af humor.

Kan godt genlæses nogle år efter første læsning, da man til den tid har fået nye erfaringer at bygge på og derved vil forstå nogle af afsnittene i bogen bedre.
Lynda
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was required reading for a parenting class we had to take when my kids were in co-op preschool. I found it very helpful then as we studied it, and then applied its principles at that time when my kids were at the preschool. As they grew up, I periodically re-read the parts pertinent to their current age. My kids are now grown and married, and have turned out quite well (not just my opinion as their mom, but by many others). After all these years, it still generally has great advice.
Jodi
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciated how the author explained how self-esteem develops and how as parents we are capable of providing the right atmosphere to help our children develop high self-esteem. Her examples while sometimes pat are very helpful in illustrating both the do's and don'ts. She has a checklist at the end that I made a copy of to remind myself of things I need to work on improving with my kids.
Alfredo Prado
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
The kind of book I wish I have a time machine so I could go back in time and give a copy to my grand parents...
Although to me some chapters are a bit dated it's definitely a great guide with practical knowledge.
This book is the Spanish translation to "Your Child's Self-Esteem: Step-by-Step Guidelines for Raising Responsible, Productive, Happy Children"
Candice
This book offers incredible insight and advice, however I had to stop reading when I got to page 150ish, when the author tells parents to immediately let their doctor know if a child expresses homosexual tendencies. This reminded me of the date this was written, and that I could no longer tell which advice of hers was valid.
Corinne
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While some of the information is dated, some of the timeless ideas--of treating others and oneself with respect, primarily--are essential to helping foster independent, confident, capable development. Useful for both parents and teachers. Really found it helpful, and earmarked several pages to review! I also feel compelled to point out that this book pegged "growth mindset" before it was cool.
Terri
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I liked this book. Takes a while to "work" your way through it because you are really "working" as you read...discovering ways you do things and about yourself and understanding things you can change and improve on. I'd recommend it. I'll also keep it to re-read I'm sure.
adri patamoma
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este livro é fantástico pra quem quer criar crianças saudáveis (física e emocionalmente) e felizes. Super recomendo! O melhor é que ele fala das várias fases do amadurecimento emocional do ser humano, explorando o nosso desenvolvimento e as nossas relações. Adorei.
Micasart
Sep 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new moms
Recommended to Micasart by: Tina
I have read this particular book three times and feel it is MOSTLY relative to children, but seemed to point out several things in myself that I wanted to work on.

I have a copy of this book to lend.
Michelle
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book for parents at any stage...babies, toddlers, teenagers, adults! I especially enjoyed the first half of the book. This is actually like an instruction manual that SHOULD come with each baby!! Great, enlightening read!
AshO
I really love this book.

I had to read this as part of a school requirement for psychology many years ago. I absolutely loved this. I found everything so interesting and of great value.
Tzk
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I AM VERY VERY EAGER TO READ IT. I LIKE IT.
Maryanne
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book taught me that when I said to Katelyn, "Why do you have to whine all the time?", that I was whining.
Katie
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tara
Jan 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
One of my mom's old child psych books. A few parts were outdated, but mostly still relevant and helpful.
Rodrigo Acras
The best parenthood book I've ever read.
M.E.
Jun 23, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This was highly recommended, and I own a ton of parenting books, but lord are they hard to bear. Looks like it may have some insights, if I can stay awake for them
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Wholesome Baby Food Guide: Over 150 Easy, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes from Purees to Solids
  • Your Self-Confident Baby: How to Encourage Your Child's Natural Abilities -- From the Very Start
  • How Rude!: The Teen Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior, and Not Grossing People Out
  • The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
  • Your Five-Year-Old: Sunny and Serene
  • Liberated Parents, Liberated Children: Your Guide to a Happier Family
  • Passion's Ransom
  • Be a Recruiting Superstar: The Fast Track to Network Marketing Millions
  • Velvet Chains
  • The Pregnancy Countdown Book: Nine Months of Practical Tips, Useful Advice, and Uncensored Truths
  • Creative Journal Writing: The Art and Heart of Reflection
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • The Power of Positive Parenting: A Wonderful Way to Raise Children
  • I Didn't Plan to be a Witch: And Other Surprises of a Joyful Mother
  • Growing Up Again: Parenting Ourselves, Parenting Our Children
  • The Intentional Family:: Simple Rituals to Strengthen Family Ties
  • The Stress Reduction Workbook for Teens: Mindfulness Skills to Help You Deal with Stress