Start by marking “Celebrating a Christ-Centered Christmas: Seven Traditions to Lead Us Closer to the Savior” as Want to Read:

Discover how each figure in the nativity can lead your family closer to Jesus during the Christmas season and how incorporating seven simple traditions, inspired by nativity scenes, such as creating a tender mercy tree, can remind you of the true meaning of the holiday season.

Published September 30th 2014 by Ensign Peak (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Celebrating a Christ-Centered Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celebrating a Christ-Centered Christmas

Start your review of Celebrating a Christ-Centered Christmas: Seven Traditions to Lead Us Closer to the Savior
Heather
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
This is a great little book that helps remind us of the most important parts of Christmas. It's full of scriptures and stories that point to Christ. It focuses particularly on seven pieces of the nativity and lessons we can learn from each one: Mary (ponder), Joseph (serve), Angels (share the joy), Shepherds (testify), The Wise Men (journey another way), The Lamb (and Simeon and Anna) - give thanks, and finally, The Christ Child (believe). I love the lessons and insights the author shares and th ...more
Amanda Lewis
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book so much I went out and bought it. Mrs Freeman discusses Christmas traditions that she practiced in her home with her children that focused the Christmas season more on Christ. Mary, Joseph, the angels, the shepherds, the wiseman, the sheep, and the baby Jesus each teach different lessons, and have unique traditions, that you can do in a day or over the course of a week or two. While this book is geared more toward families with teenagers I know she has made a simplified version ...more
Verona
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this book could best be utilized by families with young children, I learned so many new insights into the Nativity and the Spirit of Christmas. I intend to pass along these traditions to my children and their families to bring the focus of Christmas back to CHRIST! It is a wonderful book full of practical, easy ideas to use with your family to have a more Christ-centered Christmas.
Lisa Brown
A short and beautiful book about how you can make Jesus Christ the center of your Christmas celebrations. Inspired by the different pieces of the nativity, it focuses on a different piece of the nativity, which leads to an activity and lesson you can learn that will bring you and your family closer to Christ.

I loved the simple and wonderful ideas, and I love having Christ be the center of Christmas celebrations (something we have always tried to do in our home). I enjoyed her ideas, and I think
Kathy
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
My husband and I had been discussing that we wanted to do something for Christmas this year to make it special. Our kids are getting a little older and only the youngest still believes in Santa Claus. We really wanted to focus less on getting and more on giving to others this year.

I have heard Emily Freeman speak at Time Out for Women and think she is a wonderful speaker and author so I was excited when I received a copy of her book A Christ-Centered Christmas to review. As I started reading thi
Kayla
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, lds
Freeman’s suggestions for Christ-centered traditions surrounding Christmas are pretty easily executed and fairly universal in their nature, which sets them apart from some of the traditions suggested in other books of hers that I’ve read. Even the ones that are less universal are easily adapted and simplified for individual families. Definitely want to give this a shot in the future.
Alexis
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How do you start Christ-centered family traditions if you didn't grow up with very many? You need Celebrating A Christ-Centered Christmas by Emily Belle Freeman! She has 7 awesome traditions that are centered on Christ that she shares with you. Each tradition is focused on one of the members in the nativity. She shares stories, songs to sing, scriptures from the Bible to read, and activities to do with your family. I love that this book is really for family of all ages. You can adjust the activi ...more
Mindy
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to review this book with the holiday season upon us. Even more so, to take the time to reflect on and read a lovely book centered on Christ and Christmas. I really appreciated the author's introduction and what inspired her to write this book. I loved how each chapter started with a verse of scripture, and ended with a summary of each tradition with suggestions how to incorporate it in your life. As well as a sweet paragraph describing the tradition. The author's heart-felt stories ...more
Amanda
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this with a nativity set at Christmas. Though I'm not usually inclined to read books that start off with the assumption I need help re-centering my own life (I'm too arrogant, apparently), I actually didn't get the "holier than thou" impression from this book that those kinds of books can give off. Instead, I found a fairly simple, and yet profound guide to pondering the figures in a typical nativity set. I enjoyed the brief personal stories and the songs and scriptures the author compiled ...more
Kara
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My bestest friend gave us this book for Christmas last year and I finally got around to reading it. I don't know if I'm just extra weepy this year but the thoughts in this book really touched my heart and I cried through almost the whole thing, especially the section about Mary. I'm hoping to implement at least a few of the ideas this year and try to change our focus to the real reason for the season; our Savior Jesus Christ.
Andrea
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are definitely doing all of this as a family for Christmas this year. If you've been searching for a simple way to make Christmas more meanigful, pick up this slim little gem.
Amber
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
Some absolutley fabulous ideas that I am going to employ in my Christmas celebrating from here on out.
Jessica
We love this book. There are some beautiful tradition ideas to keep your focus on the Savior throughout the Christmas season and I like them all. I also like the idea of beginning to decorate for Christmas on November 1st. I may do that next year. :)
I have the book and nativity set. This year, we “delivered” each piece of the nativity secretly to our children throughout December and would read the chapter associated with the piece when it “arrived.” It has been a fun, simple way to help our chil
Shanae
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a book about studying one figure from the nativity a week or a month through the Christmas season and building traditions to focus on the reason for the season. It's good. You can use it as an open, read, do, lesson book.

I expected to like this book more than I did. I don't know if it's because I was listening instead of reading it. I'm reading her Christ centered home one and really like it. I just felt like there weren't as many nuggets in this one. And I felt like I could take the idea a
Sandi
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this because one of my counselors at church chose a condensed version of this for the Christmas lesson for the young women this year. A quick, simple read. It really was thought provoking. I find myself evaluating what we do during the Christmas season and if there's too much Santa and not enough Christ. I love that the author doesn't try to get rid of Santa completely, he's still an important, fun part of it! But it's really not his holiday.
I loved this book. I look forward to implementi
Natalie
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I love the sweet and simple ideas presented for adding meaning to family Christmas traditions. I shared many with my husband and hope to include some in future years. The explanation of the roles of each figure in the nativity will stay with me and help me remember their importance in the birth of our Savior.
Brenda Daun
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read about Christmas and the symbolic meanings of all of the characters in the story of the nativity. It would make a great Christmas gift, but related enough to the Savior that it didn't feel like it was just a Christmas book.
Jen
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has some amazing ideas on how to focus on the Savior at Christmas time. It has clear, well-explained traditions and stories you can share with your family that are really meaningful. I’ve already started incorporating some of them. 5 stars!
Vicki Bushnell
I enjoyed reading this book leading up to Christmas. I recommend it for anyone wanting some good ideas for Christmas traditions. The author even includes some recipes. I am looking forward to trying the French Cocoa!
Natalie
Listened to part and read part, but decided there was enough for me in the children's version. We tried this approach to Christmas this last year and enjoyed focusing each day on one person from the nativity story. We plan to repeat it again next year.
Heidi Tucker
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short quick read which inspired me to change my focus at Christmas. Love this!
Rachel
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am excited to put into action a lot of the ideas Freeman suggested. I am grateful when people share their ideas and talents with others.
Becky
There are great ideas in this book. I wish I had a family to do the activities with.
Debbie
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful reminders of how Christmas should be celebrated.
Meg
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I enjoyed the ideas in this book, and look forward to using them as my children grow a little older!
Erin
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the ideas presented in this little book! I would highly recommend it as a starting point for new families just beginning to establish their own traditions.
Diana
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ideas
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiring
Very sweet ideas for remembering Christ during Christmas using the nativity
Apzmarshl
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect way to keep Christ as the center of your Christmas.
Kaia Pope
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and I am planning on implementing some of the traditions next Christmas season. It gave me a new perspective on all who was involved in Christ’s birth.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Heavens Are Open
  • Redeemer
  • The Priesthood Power of Women: In the Temple, Church, and Family
  • The Power of Stillness: Mindful Living for Latter-day Saints
  • The Last Man at the Inn: One Man's Quest to Believe
  • Insights from a Prophet’s Life: Russell M. Nelson
  • The Standard of Truth: 1815–1846 (Saints, #1)
  • No Unhallowed Hand: 1846-1893 (Saints, #2)
  • Christmas Jars
  • Because of the Messiah in a Manger
  • Live Up to Our Privileges: Women, Power, and Priesthood
  • Jacob T. Marley
  • Almighty: How the Most Powerful Being in the Universe Is Also Your Loving Heavenly Father
  • Christmas by Accident
  • Healing Hearts (Savage Wells, #2)
  • Silent Souls Weeping: Depression—Sharing Stories, Finding Hope
  • The Divine Gift of Forgiveness
  • Because of the Christ on Calvary
Emily Freeman and Simon Dewey collaborated on the bestselling book The Ten Virgins. For nearly 20 years, Emily has addressed groups of women as a writer, songwrite, and motivational speaker. Her deep love of the scriptures comes from a strong desire to find their application in modern-day life. Emily and her husband, Greg, are the parents of four children and live in Lehi, Utah. Simon Dewey studie ...more

News & Interviews