Start by marking “User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product” as Want to Read:
User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product

User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  1,383 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
How do you build a product that delights users? You must first know who your users are and how they plan to use what you're building. With this practical book, you'll explore the often-misunderstood practice of user story mapping, and learn how it can help keep your team stay focused on users and their experience throughout the development process.

You and your team will le
Published September 5th 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published February 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about User Story Mapping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about User Story Mapping

Jesse Richards
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
User story mapping is great, but this book used three times as many pages as necessary to explain it. I was also dying to see one large legible illustrated example, not tons of tiny grainy photos.
Sebastian Gebski
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book, with issues.
In general, the content is great. The knowledge that's getting passed to the readers is well served & valuable. The content is well illustrated & clear. But all of that gets really annoying, because the book is just too wordy. Quite quickly I got the impression (and I couldn't get rid of it until the end) that I'm reading the same stuff again - even if it's smart & applicable, it gets annoying.

What are my favourite parts / chapters?
* about how requirements are
Alex Fürstenau
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's great stuff, Jeff is talking about but the style of writing is much more important to me. Jeff is also extraordinary here because he "eats is own dog food", he speaks about story telling while using stories. :-) Thats great. In the second part of the book, the story telling went in the background a little bit but it comes back closer to the end of the book. I also like his humor, on how he is interacting with the reader. It could be a bit more from time to time.

It's highly recommended if yo
Koen Metsu
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hesitant to give this book 4 stars, because I found the title somewhat misleading. While it does introduce USM, I found those parts lacked dept. The bulk of the book is more about doing User Stories well, and not directly about USM itself. It's rather repetitive in some parts, and the Kindle version had some parts where the font choices were awkward.

However, it's still a really good book on User Stories, Agile development, and Lean Startup mentality. If I had started reading this book with
Ahmad hosseini
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: web designers, software developers, product managers, project managers, UX designers.
Book describes how use user story mapping technique in the process of making software from idea to test.
User story mapping is a valuable tool for software development. This often misunderstand technique can help your team stay focus on users and their needs without getting lost in the enthusiasm for individual product features. The main goal of using stories is shared understanding. Story mapping is very simple, but it is not easy!

Who should read this book?
Book could be useful for product manage
Mya
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
Great book with a lot of great quotes/tid bits. Perhaps a little more focused on Product Discovery and Lean Start-up type concepts than the title might suggest, the first few chapters did provide valuable insights on how to do story-mapping itself. It's the kind of book that will deliver different nuggets every time you read it, depending on where you are in your Agile learning journey.
Jono
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wish I had read this 5 years ago.
Mihai Rosca
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: le-am-la-munca
There's a rule by which I rate books in general:

5 star - It's so useful for me that I'll probably get back to it soon after, in order to apply the information.

4 star - It's good, worth reading, but if I don't actually apply the information I'll forget most of it.

3 star - Some good parts, but has some major flaws I could not get over.

2 star - Appreciated the effort for a while, but then I burned it in my basement laughing like
Mandark (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiGIQ...)

1 star - I literally
Emmerson Siqueira
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't simply about a Mapping technique for Stories. It goes a lot beyond that, and it goes beyond because what matters most is not the Map itself but the work you do while you build such thing, the Map is just a supporting tool that helps you and the team visualize the big picture. In this book you'll have a better and more clear understanding on how Stories can help us drive software development. You'll learn and see (literally, through nice illustrations by the author and pics) how A ...more
Askorbinka
Inspiring and up to the point

Lots of examples, practical insights, it is clear the author spent a lot of time working on a software at different roles. It is written in a very friendly tone, just like you're having a conversation with a more experienced colleague. I've already tried several ideas from the book at work and plan to grab more of them.
Andi Dirgantara
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Product development is hard, this book teach us one of the best product development planning, to create better user story mapping in particular. Applicable to team who use scrum or agile process. This book is little bit wordy, but personally I got a lot of lesson learned that we can apply to our team.
Steve Fenton
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have rarely read a book that explains a concept this well. The theories are all brought to life with relevant case studies, brilliant analogies, and a writing style that reveals the author's passion for delivering software that solves a real problem.
Jack Coates
Good advice but delivery is poor. Lots of repetition that inflates page count
DeVilliers Malan
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read, practical and provides real-life examples. This is a must read for all Product Owners, Product Managers and even software developers that want to build exceptional software products.
Graham Herrli
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: design-related
This book provides an overview of a process (story mapping) that can help to increase understanding of a feature before building it. Doing so helps to prevent scope creep and gets multiple members of a team on the same page about what will be built.

Story mapping:
• is a way of talking about who does something, what it is, and why they do it. It also helps us prioritize and agree on the most important paths users need to take, which helps us make decisions down the line
• is used to build shared un
Kaixi Luo
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Wordy book with lots of repetition and lacking a clear flow.

Some of my key takeaways:

- Focus on the users, not the product. Minimize output, maximize outcome.
- The "minimum" in MVP refers to what's the minimum acceptable for the user, not for you, the developer.
- User stories are meant to start a conversation with your team. It's not a memo or a requirements document.
- Software development is iterative. Iteration is natural, and should not be treated as a failure.
- A good development process is
Christian Dalager
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hvis man arbejder med software tæt på brugerne, vil dette her være en utroligt nyttig bog at læse.
Der er en lang række betragtninger og gode værktøjer til forståelse, analyse og nedbrydning af komplekse domæner.

User Story Mapping fremstår ikke som en færdig metode. Det er heller ikke en metode, der bare kan klikkes ind i et agilt framework som Scrum -- men fremstår mere som et selvstændigt fluffy alternativ, bygget på POST-ITs. Og man skal langt hen i bogen, før det går op for en at der aldrig b
Alejandro Ramirez
A fantastic read from end-to-end

It's rare to find a book you truly find both useful and interesting to read from cover to cover and Jeff Patton does a terrific job to keep building up interest and maintain great continuity throughout the book, pointing out useful references to specific points in previous chapters, highlighting key concepts and reminding of you of things you've read so that with the current material they make more sense.

As a seasoned developer and agile practitioner, this book h
Jo
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
By far my personal favorite introduction to agile & Lean Startup principles. Ever been in a team and wondered "What's the big picture here"? Have a new hackathon/project coming up and don't know how to go from big idea to working software everyone is happy with? Maybe you have played the "software sucks because of bad requirements" card before? If so, this book is a must-read!

Short, witty and to the point. Oh, and videogame metaphors. Need I say more?
Mirjana Trobok
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
User story mapping is a great technique. This book is not only about user story mapping, actually only first 5 chapters focus on the user story mapping. In the rest of the book author talks about product discovery process and techniques such as the lean startup and design thinking, and it seem to me that he repeats a lot. In my eyes there are still some aspects of story mapping which are not covered completely.
Santiago Ortiz
Many good, useful and feasible ideas. But this book could have been 40 pages.
Sebastian Sanitz
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books this year. And one of the best books on the topic of User stories. Highly recommended!
lele Sheng
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Baidu map is developed like this . When reading the book I get to know the goods and effects of the theory of product design and management
Robin
I liked this book more than most of my book club did. I will admit that I very much wanted it to be about 30% the current length, as the bloviation to useful content ratio is absurdly high. Nevertheless, I did emerge with a number of useful ideas and some rather bitter conclusions.

The ideas:

Do not aim to produce a product, but to change the world in some way for the better. It is distressingly easy to get caught up in the language of features and gadgets and integrations and options and archite
Jürgen Mohr
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, favorites
This is one of my favorite books

Jeff's writing is entertaining. If there is one criticism than that the last few chapters could have been omitted. Thus I thought about giving only 4 stars. But the rest of the book is so exciting and helpful that this book deserves five stars.

One could think that explaining what a User Story Map is and how to develop one could be done within a few minutes. Well, that's true. But in his book Jeff goes some steps further. He also describes the why, the how, next st
Alex French
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I initially picked up this book to "learn ironically"- make sure that I'm well-versed enough in the opinions of good resources that I can argue with co-workers who I think are mis-using and abusing terminology and ideas.

For at least one third of the book, I felt like it was an easy read but of low value- various examples didn't leave me thinking I'd learned anything specific, or that I had a better overall high-level view of individual Stories or of a big-picture Story Map.

And I never got that-
Vlad Ardelean
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Just read the second half really...

Good book, good random ideas about the overall process of product development, but disorganized and bloated.

The first half of the book felt like it's therr to increase the page count. One can tell if the author is writing in a slow pase on purpose. He tried to make too many little jokes, and the writing style was too relaxed. That, and I don't really remember getting anything from if.

The first part deserves 2 stars, the second part gets 4.

In the end, although
Jeremy Noble
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. Not only for tech industry workers but analysts and others that are interested in understanding and effective defining problems of all sorts. 'Jeff is a master story teller' said my partner who knows about these things. In that context I'd strongly suggest watching this lengthy You Tube video alongside or before reading. This one of Jeff's presentations adds a lot of depth to this extensive book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AorAg... . By the way if you appreciate a dry ...more
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This book started off strong and got me really excited about the concepts and then as I read further, I realized that the book was handwaving over things that would really matter to me and my teams, or starting a metaphor to make something more understandable, but then abandoning it before any meaning was communicated. The book ended up feeling too long and served to communicate a practical framework in a way that got me to want to try it but so rigidly devoted to in-the-same-room conversations ...more
Joel Monteon
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great methodology very well explained

Before reading the book I had personally done USM workshops with some clients, and although the outcome of these workshops was very positive, there were some questions that this book helped to solve.

The first half of the book is great, very substantial content with lots of examples. The second half, in my opinion it is extremely redundant, the author repeats the same concepts over and over, which made very hard for me to reach the end of the book. I would st
  • Fifty Quick Ideas to Improve Your User Stories
  • Interviewing Users: How to Uncover Compelling Insights
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Agile Experience Design: A Digital Designer's Guide to Agile, Lean, and Continuous
  • Commitment
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • Microinteractions: Designing with Details
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • The Mobile Frontier: A Guide for Designing Mobile Experiences
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jeff Patton has designed and developed software for the past 12 years on a wide variety of projects from on-line aircraft parts ordering to electronic medical records. Jeff has focused on Agile approaches since working on an early Extreme Programming team in 2000. In particular Jeff has specialized in the application of user centered design techniques to improve Agile requirements, planning, and p ...more
“At the end of the day, your job is to minimize output, and maximize outcome and impact.” 2 likes
“Your job isn’t to build more software faster: it’s to maximize the outcome and impact you get from what you choose to build.” 2 likes