Start by marking “User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product” as Want to Read:
User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product

User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product

How do you build a product that delights users? You must first know who your users are and how they plan to use what you're building. With this practical book, you'll explore the often-misunderstood practice of user story mapping, and learn how it can help keep your team stay focused on users and their experience throughout the development process.

You and your team will le
Published September 5th 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published February 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about User Story Mapping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about User Story Mapping

Start your review of User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
Jesse Richards
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
User story mapping is great, but this book used three times as many pages as necessary to explain it. I was also dying to see one large legible illustrated example, not tons of tiny grainy photos.
Sebastian Gebski
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book, with issues.
In general, the content is great. The knowledge that's getting passed to the readers is well served & valuable. The content is well illustrated & clear. But all of that gets really annoying, because the book is just too wordy. Quite quickly I got the impression (and I couldn't get rid of it until the end) that I'm reading the same stuff again - even if it's smart & applicable, it gets annoying.

What are my favourite parts / chapters?
* about how requirements are supposed to
Koen Metsu
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hesitant to give this book 4 stars, because I found the title somewhat misleading. While it does introduce USM, I found those parts lacked dept. The bulk of the book is more about doing User Stories well, and not directly about USM itself. It's rather repetitive in some parts, and the Kindle version had some parts where the font choices were awkward.

However, it's still a really good book on User Stories, Agile development, and Lean Startup mentality. If I had started reading this book with
Alex Fürstenau
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's great stuff, Jeff is talking about but the style of writing is much more important to me. Jeff is also extraordinary here because he "eats is own dog food", he speaks about story telling while using stories. :-) Thats great. In the second part of the book, the story telling went in the background a little bit but it comes back closer to the end of the book. I also like his humor, on how he is interacting with the reader. It could be a bit more from time to time.

It's highly recommended if yo
Goce
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book with lots of useful information. I will surely give all the ideas a try in a future project.

However, as going through the book, I felt that some of the notes I was taking started to repeat themselves.
Ahmad hosseini
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: web designers, software developers, product managers, project managers, UX designers.
Book describes how use user story mapping technique in the process of making software from idea to test.
User story mapping is a valuable tool for software development. This often misunderstand technique can help your team stay focus on users and their needs without getting lost in the enthusiasm for individual product features. The main goal of using stories is shared understanding. Story mapping is very simple, but it is not easy!

Who should read this book?
Book could be useful for product manage
Mya
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
Great book with a lot of great quotes/tid bits. Perhaps a little more focused on Product Discovery and Lean Start-up type concepts than the title might suggest, the first few chapters did provide valuable insights on how to do story-mapping itself. It's the kind of book that will deliver different nuggets every time you read it, depending on where you are in your Agile learning journey.
Andi Dirgantara
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Product development is hard, this book teach us one of the best product development planning, to create better user story mapping in particular. Applicable to team who use scrum or agile process. This book is little bit wordy, but personally I got a lot of lesson learned that we can apply to our team.
Jono
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wish I had read this 5 years ago.
Mihai Rosca
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's a rule by which I rate books in general:

5 star - It's so useful for me that I'll probably get back to it soon after, in order to apply the information.

4 star - It's good, worth reading, but if I don't actually apply the information I'll forget most of it.

3 star - Some good parts, but has some major flaws I could not get over.

2 star - Appreciated the effort for a while, but then I burned it in my basement laughing like
Mandark (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiGIQ...)

1 star - I literally
Emmerson Siqueira
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't simply about a Mapping technique for Stories. It goes a lot beyond that, and it goes beyond because what matters most is not the Map itself but the work you do while you build such thing, the Map is just a supporting tool that helps you and the team visualize the big picture. In this book you'll have a better and more clear understanding on how Stories can help us drive software development. You'll learn and see (literally, through nice illustrations by the author and pics) how A ...more
Vitor Kneipp
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-2-product
Simply the book that got me a product manager job at a top tech company.

You should get this book if you're an entrepreneur or business person with no tech background and wonder:

- How much should I know about software to work with technology?
- How the heck do I translate my product vision, business model or strategy into working software?
- What does a tech/product team look like?
- What other books might I read to go deeper?

A brilliant journey awaits you at the other side.
Askorbinka
Inspiring and up to the point

Lots of examples, practical insights, it is clear the author spent a lot of time working on a software at different roles. It is written in a very friendly tone, just like you're having a conversation with a more experienced colleague. I've already tried several ideas from the book at work and plan to grab more of them.
Steve Fenton
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have rarely read a book that explains a concept this well. The theories are all brought to life with relevant case studies, brilliant analogies, and a writing style that reveals the author's passion for delivering software that solves a real problem.
Jack Coates
Good advice but delivery is poor. Lots of repetition that inflates page count
DeVilliers Malan
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read, practical and provides real-life examples. This is a must read for all Product Owners, Product Managers and even software developers that want to build exceptional software products.
Jen
If you can avoid it, I would refrain from reading this cover to cover. And, I'd skip the THREE forewards. Yes, Jeff Patton is known in the Agile community. Yes, that's one of the reasons you should pick this up. But, suffice it to say there's a lot of intracommunity back patting. Which is nice but not relevant for why I'm reading this book. Overall, the idea behind Story Mapping is GOOD and it's simple. I loved the exercise about mapping out your morning. That leaves me almost wanting to bump it ...more
Graham Herrli
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: design-related
This book provides an overview of a process (story mapping) that can help to increase understanding of a feature before building it. Doing so helps to prevent scope creep and gets multiple members of a team on the same page about what will be built.

Story mapping:
• is a way of talking about who does something, what it is, and why they do it. It also helps us prioritize and agree on the most important paths users need to take, which helps us make decisions down the line
• is used to build shared un
Kaixi Luo
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Wordy book with lots of repetition and lacking a clear flow.

Some of my key takeaways:

- Focus on the users, not the product. Minimize output, maximize outcome.
- The "minimum" in MVP refers to what's the minimum acceptable for the user, not for you, the developer.
- User stories are meant to start a conversation with your team. It's not a memo or a requirements document.
- Software development is iterative. Iteration is natural, and should not be treated as a failure.
- A good development process is
Vlad Ardelean
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biz-tech
Just read the second half really...

Good book, good random ideas about the overall process of product development, but disorganized and bloated.

The first half of the book felt like it's therr to increase the page count. One can tell if the author is writing in a slow pase on purpose. He tried to make too many little jokes, and the writing style was too relaxed. That, and I don't really remember getting anything from if.

The first part deserves 2 stars, the second part gets 4.

In the end, although
Renato Willi
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got curious on how could someone write 300 pages about something so simple as Story Mapping, so I read the book.

It was a pleasant surprise, because it doesn't talk just about the Story Mapping technique, but a whole way of dealing with stories, SW projects, an experimental and learning mindset through discovery processes.

So it was worth reading it, it's easy read and understand and a fast reading book. I'd suggest it to Agile Coaches and especially PO's.

I think it lacked writing a bit more d
Alejandro Ramirez
A fantastic read from end-to-end

It's rare to find a book you truly find both useful and interesting to read from cover to cover and Jeff Patton does a terrific job to keep building up interest and maintain great continuity throughout the book, pointing out useful references to specific points in previous chapters, highlighting key concepts and reminding of you of things you've read so that with the current material they make more sense.

As a seasoned developer and agile practitioner, this book h
Jo
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
By far my personal favorite introduction to agile & Lean Startup principles. Ever been in a team and wondered "What's the big picture here"? Have a new hackathon/project coming up and don't know how to go from big idea to working software everyone is happy with? Maybe you have played the "software sucks because of bad requirements" card before? If so, this book is a must-read!

Short, witty and to the point. Oh, and videogame metaphors. Need I say more?
Dimitrios
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book which I cannot recommend enough to people building products.
Yes, it's wordy and repeating the same stuff over and over, but it's utterly useful. It's more of a collection of stories from the trenches about user stories. It'll help you understand that you don't have to reinvent the wheel when it comes to communication & collaboration practices. People have been practicing methods which encourage agility (but not necessarily Agile™) effectively and systematically for quite a few y
Mirjana Trobok
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
User story mapping is a great technique. This book is not only about user story mapping, actually only first 5 chapters focus on the user story mapping. In the rest of the book author talks about product discovery process and techniques such as the lean startup and design thinking, and it seem to me that he repeats a lot. In my eyes there are still some aspects of story mapping which are not covered completely.
Santiago Ortiz
Many good, useful and feasible ideas. But this book could have been 40 pages.
Sebastian Sanitz
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books this year. And one of the best books on the topic of User stories. Highly recommended!
lele Sheng
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Baidu map is developed like this . When reading the book I get to know the goods and effects of the theory of product design and management
Marzi
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first 4 chapters are great if you want to know how to do user story mapping. The rest might be repetitive for you if you already are familiar with agile ... But I still loved the stories.
Robin
I liked this book more than most of my book club did. I will admit that I very much wanted it to be about 30% the current length, as the bloviation to useful content ratio is absurdly high. Nevertheless, I did emerge with a number of useful ideas and some rather bitter conclusions.

The ideas:

Do not aim to produce a product, but to change the world in some way for the better. It is distressingly easy to get caught up in the language of features and gadgets and integrations and options and archite
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Mapping Experiences: A Complete Guide to Creating Value Through Journeys, Blueprints, and Diagrams
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Outcomes Over Output: Why customer behavior is the key metric for business success
  • Strategize: Product Strategy and Product Roadmap Practices for the Digital Age
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jeff Patton has designed and developed software for the past 12 years on a wide variety of projects from on-line aircraft parts ordering to electronic medical records. Jeff has focused on Agile approaches since working on an early Extreme Programming team in 2000. In particular Jeff has specialized in the application of user centered design techniques to improve Agile requirements, planning, and p ...more

News & Interviews

“At the end of the day, your job is to minimize output, and maximize outcome and impact.” 3 likes
“There’s always more to build than we have time or resources to build — always.” 3 likes