Start by marking “Walt Disney's - Cinderella” as Want to Read:
Walt Disney's - Cinderella

Walt Disney's - Cinderella

"This is a story about darkness and light, about sorrow and joy, about something lost and something found. This is a story about love."
Cinderella's story has been told over and over, but never has it been touched by the kind of magic created by the contributors of this book. Mary Blair painted the original pictures for Walt Disney's incomparable animated film, and here her
Published January 27th 2015 by Disney Press (first published August 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Walt Disney's - Cinderella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walt Disney's - Cinderella

Hilary
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
This is a lovely retelling of a classic fairy tale. Beautiful illustrations in very nice colours with decorative pages, very attractive to look through.
Brooke
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Who can say by what mystery two people find each other in this great wide world.”

Cinderella is one of my favorites. I love all the details within the story and Disney’s imagination with the characters and objects. I hadn’t ever seen this book before until I was researching talented illustrators. Mary Blair’s work shines light on Walt Disney’s voice. She stays true to the classic disney feel; her images are very beautiful!

Before reading this, I decided to do a little research on the history beh
Kathryn
Sep 10, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANNIE!!!
Thank you, Tyler, for this lovely birthday gift! :-)

I really loved the concept of this story, since I'm a Cinderella fan and a sucker for Disney art, especially the "oldies" and there are some really lovely images here. While I appreciated what Rylant was trying to do with the story, though, it just seemed a bit over-the-top on the sweet/Love (always with a capital "L") destiny stuff--which I usually tend to Love! ( ;-> ) so I am not sure if her execution was off (in my view) or if I was just
Katina
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: traditional
This is the story I remember reading as a child. It captures the true essence of a girl being swept away by her prince. The story grasps the readers attention on the very first page, "This is a story about darkness and light, about sorrow and joy, about something lost and something found.
This is a story about LOVE." Cinderella wishes for a better life from her awful stepmother and stepsisters. She finds her opportunity when the prince sends an invitation all the fair maidens in the town to his h
L-Crystal Wlodek
This version of Cinderella is full of love, magic, and emotion. This story can best be described using the words on the first page of the book: “This is a story about darkness and light, about sorrow and joy, about something lost and something found. This is a story about Love.”

The magic of the story of Cinderella shines throughout this book. It has the same theme of love and shows through the text and illustrations’ the journey one goes through in order to find love. This is a version of Cinde
Peggy Shoemaker
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
Just read this to both of my language arts classes. I had read other Cinderella versions such as the Egyptian Cinderella and was surprised to learn that many of my students were not familiar with the traditional Cinderella story (mostly boys). I chose Cynthia Rylant's retelling because Rylant is one of my favorite authors. The illustrations are done by one of the illustrators who created the Disney movie.
Rylant's wonderful words create a conflict between darkness and light; good and evil, love a
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Elegant illustrations give this classic story a timeless feel. Many of these illustrations are also featured in another must have Disney book, A Wish Your Heart Makes (reviewed above). The illustrations in this book are signature to the old timeless Disney illustrations that were used prior to bringing an animated movie to life. This is a book we enjoyed.
Dianna
Dec 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not your average Disney storybook. This is not a retelling of a Disney movie; it stands on its own. The illustrations, while based on the movie, also have their own charm and style, and they're definitely worth a look if you're a fan.
Lauren
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous illustrations, marvelous storytelling. This isn't your average retelling of a Disney classic. Symbolism, imagery, excellent writing. Love it.
Sharni
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can I just have all the Mary Blair illustrated books?
Laura P
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
Great version to read if you want children to first hear the more traditional version of Cinderella. Other Cinderella books can be read after to compare and contrast how versions of fairy tales differ. Cinderella is the story of a young girl who is mistreated by her step-mother and step-sisters. She is forced to do chores and is not given the same opportunities as her step-sisters. One day a Fairy God Mother approaches her and changes her life, giving her a new dress, stage coach, and glass slip ...more
Because it's "Walt Disney's Cinderella" I was rather surprised to find it a retelling that doesn't involve talking mice and a dress made from a vintage gown and scraps. Instead, what I found was a delightful and poetic (of course...Cynthia Rylant!) tale with a theme of love throughout. The only nods to Disney I could find were the Duke accidentally breaking the glass slipper right before Cinderella could try it on, and the illustrations. The illustrations actually aren't at all what I would expe ...more
Lydia
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brief retelling of Disney's Cinderella story.

I liked the changes, as this helped make the Prince into more of a character and less a Deus ex Machina. Can also see this as a stepping stone from the old cartoon version to the live action movie that does a better job building characters and starting a friendship between Ella and the Prince before BAM! insta-love. Also liked that the pictures had nods to the cartoon, with characters looking the same (for the most part), but added a style twist to

Arlette Sjerp
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw three Disney books illustrated by Mary Blair in the store, I wanted to buy at least one of them. I love the concept art she made for Disney films. As Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale, the choice wasn't very hard. The book is indeed beautiful. The story is simple, as it should be in such books. Although I do agree with another reviewer here that the language is somewhat over the top here and there, especially the highlighting of the word "love" every time. It makes it sound silly i ...more
Lneme2651ung.Edu
This is the story of Cinderella and how she finds her magical love with a prince. She is mistreated by her stepmom and sisters but when he magical fairy godmother comes and transforms her into a beauty, she goes to the ball and finds love with the prince and gets the love she so longed for. I like this story because it is a story about hope. This fairy tale can be used to teach students that true love will always find each other.
Luisa Knight
If you're looking for a classical, traditional version of Cinderella that will put a smile on your child's face, this will do the trick nicely.

Ages: 5 - 9

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Pat Mills
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly low key. Graphics are retro and not at all cartoon like. Beautifully done and Cinderella is not at all the Disney Princess of the movie and that is a very good thing. The first two pages are even quite poetic. I was prepared to dislike this version. But really, this is a good alternative to the prepackaged version. I am only surprised that Disney's name is on it. I liked it quite a bit.
Dawn Laws
This book is about Cinderella. She lived with her evil stepmother and stepsisters and always wore rags. Magically she was able to go to the ball with help from a fairy godmother where she meets prince charming. She loses a glass slipper and he powers wore off at midnight. The prince finally finds her.

I rated this book 5/5 because it is a timeless classic full of imagination and magic!
Lisa
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This is a story about darkness and light, about sorrow and joy, about something lost and something found. This is a story about Love."

Isn't that a great way to start a book?

Threaded in the story are wonderful lines such as this one..."Tears have a wondrous magic about them. They often change everything."

You know. Stuff like that!
Joy
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We have Alice in wonderland from his series so it was a no brainer to pick this up since my nine year old LOVES Cinderella. The art is fantastic and the story was excellently told. It captures the essence of the Disney version without the mice and such.
Jessica
Sometimes I absolutely LOVED the illustrations and on other pages they were terrible. It was an unusual visual experience. The narrative was exactly as I expected, less originality than other retellings.
Rhea
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Getting into that Mary Blair art.
Tabitha
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wasn't super impressed with the writing of the story, but those Mary Blair illustrations-- GLORIOUS!
Heather
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Finally, a Disney story that's actually well-written! The illustration style isn't my favorite but this reads like a piece of children's literature instead of a high-interest pop culture retelling.
Mama’s Hysa Book Club
I couldn't even finish reading this one...
Claire
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Gorgeous writing by Cynthia Rylant!
Jessica Bonanni
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a beautifully illustrated version of Walt Disney's Cinderella and as an avid collector of beautiful editions of books this one is a must-have for me!
Corrine
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
Such a beautiful book, the illustrations are just amazing.
Jennifer Strong
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, 2018, disney
Cynthia's words are lovely and gentle, and paired with the wonderful Mary Blair's original Cinderella artwork, makes this book a winner!
Marni
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, 2019
Beautiful version of this story!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Walt Disney's Alice in Wonderland
  • Walt Disney's Peter Pan
  • The Art And Flair Of Mary Blair: An Appreciation
  • Hilary Knight's Cinderella
  • The Girl Who Spun Gold
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • The Egyptian Cinderella
  • The Art of Up
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Art of Anastasia
Note: The decision was made to consolidate all Disney publications under the name Walt Disney Company. This profile is for Walt Disney, the characters he created, and the company he founded. Any questions, please ask in the Librarian's Group.

Walter Elias “Walt” Disney (December 5, 1901 – December 15, 1966) was an American film producer, director, screenwriter, voice actor, animator, entrepreneur,