Start by marking “Glory O'Brien's History of the Future” as Want to Read:
Glory O'Brien's History of the Future

Glory O'Brien's History of the Future

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  8,384 Ratings  ·  1,419 Reviews
In this masterpiece about freedom, feminism, and destiny, Printz Honor author A. S. King tells the epic story of a girl coping with devastating loss at long last a girl who has no idea that the future needs her, and that the present needs her even more.

Graduating from high school is a time of limitless possibilities but not for Glory, who has no plan for what s next. Her m
Audio CD, 6 pages
Published October 14th 2014 by Hachette Book Group (first published January 1st 2014)

Raeleen Lemay
I'm not going to lie.... This disappointed me.

This book was one of my most anticipated books of 2014 and it really just didn't live up to the hype I had created in my own mind. I didn't feel like I even knew Glory by the end, she was just such a weird, detached character. The best part about this book was the magical realism (a.k.a. Glory's visions of people's pasts and futures... It was cool. I liked that.)

I also felt like the book was trying WAY too hard to promote feminism, while also slut sh
Lola
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-realism
Maybe it’s a good thing that we’re not able to see into the future.

It sure made Glory O’Brien and her friend Ellie’s lives a thousand times more stressful and complicated.

But then again, who drinks the remnants of a dead bat anyway? There’s a low risk we’re going to become seers, so don’t worry.

Glory O’Brien’s mother committed suicide when she was little. She literally shoved her head inside an oven and KABOOM. But Glory feels as if her mother is everywhere still, because of the pictures around
Ariel
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
It's this thing, folks, where I just feel like A.S. King has a special link to my mind. It may sound ridiculous, but that's how it feels. Her characters all think how I think and all feel like I feel. Her books are really personal to me, they really hit home.

I've realized a trend in her stories and that I think was really embraced in this book: that although a lot happens to her characters, they really only feel like a glimmer. They are a mere moment in the life of the protagonist, but an import
Emily May
DNF - 35%

I am just not enjoying this at all and find myself unable to read more than a chapter (which are really short) at a time. I find the narrator uninteresting and don't particularly care where the story is going at this moment. I've heard that it gets better further on so if a lot of positive reviews roll in, I might try again.

Also, I'm all for a bit of feminism. Or a lot of feminism. But passages of this read like one long preachy rant.
Giselle
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own, signed
So these girls drink the remains of a bat and start seeing the future. Yep, this will be a weird one! You have been warned!

Ok so, only having read 2 books by A.S. King so far, both of them being fairly normal, I wasn't expecting this level of weird, but somehow it ended up working really well for me. The magical realism aspect of it turned it into a sort of contemporary-slash-dystopian hybrid which was, surprisingly, quite interesting. Though I foresee some people not being fans of this one; it'
Roberta R. (Offbeat YA)

As of February 24th 2017, this review of mine has collected 27 likes. Just because, even before I read the darn book, I foolishly wrote the sentence and linked to the picture you see below:

Oops...I think I saw the girl on the cover...somewhere else...

Seriously, what's wrong with people? This is Goodreads, not Twitter or Instagram. You're supposed to like a REVIEW, not a darn picture with a caption. This thing pisses me off to no end. I even tried to take t
Meghan
Aug 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism, ya
Rampant slut-shaming, hated the main character, future dystopia where women in the US don't have the right to work and the leader is called Nedrick the Sanctimonious and that name is not a joke, but it's all just telling, not showing. Glory's best friend Ellie is the only sympathetic character but Glory spends the whole book thinking about what a consumerist shallow slut Ellie is for having sex and showing cleavage.

Choice quotes:
"I took a picture of the bottles of shampoo. I called it Empty Pr
Kristina Horner
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was strange and sad and I didn't totally buy the crazy dystopian future she was seeing, but ultimately the book was so smartly written I still mostly enjoyed it. Super bizarre but poignant.
Shaila
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
SUPER disapointed with this book, started off very intriguing and King is SUCH a talented writer, but the plot and the characters just plain suck. First of all, so many flaws with the dystopia portion (I loved King's Vera Dietz, but maybe that shows she should stick to contemporary?) you have to build on the future, not depict it as a random act of chaos if that makes sense.

It's almost like the US consitution doesn't exist in the world of this book because YOU CAN'T JUST MAKE IT ILLEGAL FOR AN
Rachel
This book is possibly being lauded as admirably feminist, but I'm so not here for the brand of feminism that is okay with calling other women 'sluts' for ANY reason, let alone that they dared to have! sex! with people! they're ATTRACTED! TO!!!

I am baffled, BAFFLED, by the notion that even if you have decided 'slut' is really a thing outside the sexist, misogynistic paradigm, it can be assigned to women who a) catch STDs b) have sex with crap men c) were previously virgins before they caught an
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This book is weird. If you don't like weird, then move along, because any book that contains the premise of seeing both the past and future upon the consumption of petrified bat remains will probably not be for you.

Yes, it was a weird book with a strange cast of characters, but it worked. Of course, when I had first heard about the whole "ingesting bat leads to superpowers" thing, I was certain there was no way anyone, even the most talented of author, could make it work. But I have terrible ini
Kelly
Not my favorite of King's books, but still a solid YA read.

The feminism and the glimpses into the future were a little on-the-nose for me, and at times because of that, they got boring and tedious to read. But what King excelled at here -- and what I'd have loved to see more of -- is how she explored the relationship between Glory and her neighbor/best friend Ellie. Ellie's home life is scary and more, her mother is even more terrifying in how she manipulates and converts people into her own per
Ginny Potter
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book...it made me go insane. There's no way to describe it other than that. At several parts throughout the book, I would have to close the book, sit there staring into nothingness, cry, and think about how messed up society and just life in general is.

At this point, you may be wondering, "WTF? Then why'd she give it four stars if it was that disturbing to read?" The things is, I are books based on the level of impact they've had on me, and this one had a huge impact. It made me sit on my
First Second Books
I thought that this book was fascinating because Glory O’Brien’s vision of the future (actual visions, in this case) was centered around feminism and women’s rights.

So often we have future stories that are like, ‘well, what’s really important is this bomb or this battle or this EVENT.’ But what’s important here, to this teen girl main character, is the effect the events have on the treatment and rights of future women.

I think that’s really great – and a paradigm shift from our typical futuristi
Evie
Glory O'Brien's History of the Future is dark, surreal and poignant. Written in a fluid and compelling style, it's really quite a literary masterpiece that further solidifies my love and admiration for A.S. King's prose. To me, this book is perfect.

Glory O'Brien is quite a mess. She's about to graduate from high school and she has literally no idea what to do with her life ("I had a week until I graduated. I had zero plans, zero options, zero friends.") Her mother checked out on her family whe
Glire
2015 Reading Challenge #35: A book set in the future.

Glory y Ellie son tan darks que comen murcielagos.

description

No bromeo. Literalmente se comen un murciélago. O, para ser mas exactos, se toman las cenizas de un murciélago momificado lo que ocasiona que comiencen a tener ¡visiones del futuro! Suena genial, ¿cierto? Lamentablemente, este es uno de esos libros donde la idea es mejor que la ejecución.

La trama es original pero al final no va a ninguna parte. La distopía del futuro no tiene sentido. Y, aunque
Beth Cato
What a strange book. I read it because it's on the Andre Norton shortlist as part of the 2014 Nebula ballot. I found it compelling enough to read the whole thing, but at the same time there were a lot of things that were bothersome about it. Glory is very... teenage-angst-filled and unlikeable. Her best friend is utterly toxic. The two girls chug down the remains of a dead bat with their beer (yes, really) and gain the abilities to see the familial pasts and futures of people they see. Glory qui ...more
Sara Williams
A.S. King is becoming my favourite person.
Everything about her novels are fascinating.
Please do give this a go.
Rose
Quick review for a quick read. "Glory O' Brien's History of the Future" is a novel that tugged at my heartstrings in very key moments, but ultimately, I thought the novel had mixed execution for the aim it went for. I ended up reading this after "Still Life With Tornado" which had a similar thematic that played with timelines and magical realism.

This book deals with Glory's experiences in dealing with her fractured family and relationships following her high school graduation. When Glory and he
Liviania
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A.S. King has frequently dabbled in magical realism, and GLORY O'BRIEN'S HISTORY OF THE FUTURE brings that aspect of her style to the fore. When Glory and her 'best friend' Ellie drink a petrified bat (long story), they start seeing visions when they look at people. Ellie mostly sees domestic histories, but Glory sees a war coming in fifty years - a war over women's right to work, among some other women's rights.

Her work with character is as on point as ever. Glory has just graduated high school
Brittany
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
I have to start by reiterating how talented I think A.S. King is as a writer. Seriously loved Ask the Passengers, but this book just falls flat for me. All through the story I kept thinking how much it reminded me of Andrew Smith's Grasshopper Jungle and then at the end King thanks him for being her mentor and it all came together. Unfortunately, King cannot pull off the bizarre storyline in the same fashion that Smith can. In this story Glory and her friend/not-friend drink a petrified bat (who ...more
Billie
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn, you, A.S. King. Every time. Every damned time. You make me all weepy. It's good weepy--healing weepy, but it's still weepy. Which is why I can't read your books in public. Ever. That birthday card from Glory's aunt? Yeah, that's what started the waterworks. And that final shot of Ellie? Broke my heart. So, yeah, I guess this isn't so much a review as a synopsis of my emotional reaction. Okay, here's my review: Book good. Cry-making. Read now.
Libros Prohibidos
3,5/5
Buena novela, desde luego de calidad muy superior a mucho de lo que hay de literatura juvenil en el mercado. Bastante recomendable; sorprende mucho en cuanto a tono y forma. Reseña completa: http://www.libros-prohibidos.com/a-s-...
Donalyn
Read twice. Twice brilliant.
StarMan
The description for this YA book turned out to be misleading (or at least over-hyped and exaggerated). But I liked the story I got. In fact, I liked it a lot.

But please fire whoever wrote the description that touts it as an EPIC sci-fi type of tale. It's almost the exact opposite of that:   a slow-paced, slice-of-life, magical realism/fantasy (sort of, but not overwhelming), with little "action."

I didn't find it that weird, other than the whole seeing-the-future premise* (and a laugh at how thi
Saray
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
3,5/5

Si tuviera que definir a este libro con una sola palabra sería: raro. Porque, ¿cuántos libros conocéis en el que la protagonista se beba a un murciélago que le proporcione poderes?
Pero esto no es una historia de súper héroes ni mucho menos. Es una historia feminista y una crítica social, pero también una historia sobre la pérdida, tanto emocional como personal, y, además, una historia con tintes distópicos.
Una mezcla extraña, ¿verdad? Pues sí, pero creo que la autora ha mezclado todos esos
ALPHAreader
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
‘Glory O'Brien's History of the Future’ is the new contemporary YA novel from A.S. King.

I’ve been sitting on this review for a while. I was actually gifted an advance copy of this book from my friend Persnickety Snark, who attended Book Expo America earlier in the year – she nabbed me a copy, and had a chat with the King herself, who she said was absolutely lovely!

So I read the book way back before its October release. I’ve since re-read it a couple of times … and tried writing a review a half
Luis
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My most favorite book of A.S. King.

It simply revolved around Glory and her coping with her mother's suicide. This is done in different zones in the Zone System - from the painful, lonely, depressing zone 0 to marvelous, hopeful, alive zone 10.

This book presented a lot of things. How a person can be devastated by someone who committed suicide, how a person shouldn't blame this devastation to the one who committed suicide, how a person can be an outcast by having ideas that question the way societ
Tomoko Miyakoshi
Sep 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: g8
So disappointed. The ideas presented in the book seemed so interesting, the transmissions, the whole story about the future, the way two people can drift apart, etc, but in reality, I felt like it was too ambitious, and din't quite work out. The way the book was told felt way too opinionated, and didn't give us as readers time to make up our own mind about the things Glory experienced. I also hated the way she labelled the things she didn't like in the world. Just because Glory didn't want to tu ...more
Lala BooksandLala
This was a new genre for me, kind of contemporary magical realism dystopian. It was phenomenally written. Different. Important. Poignant.
  • 100 Sideways Miles
  • The Unfinished Life of Addison Stone
  • Are You Experienced?
  • Girls Like Us
  • When I Was the Greatest
  • The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim (The Story of Owen, #1)
  • Like No Other
  • Belzhar
  • The Carnival at Bray
  • Knockout Games
  • The Cracks in the Kingdom (The Colours of Madeleine, #2)
A.S. King is the author of the highly-acclaimed I CRAWL THROUGH IT, Walden Award winner GLORY O'BRIEN'S HISTORY OF THE FUTURE, REALITY BOY, 2013 LA Times Book Prize winner ASK THE PASSENGERS, 2012 ALA Top Ten Book for Young Adults EVERYBODY SEES THE ANTS, and 2011 Michael L. Printz Honor Book PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ and THE DUST OF 100 DOGS as well as a collection of award-winning short stories f ...more
“Not living your life is just like killing yourself, only it takes longer.” 63 likes
“You are not your virginity. You are a human being. The state of your hymen has nothing to do with your worth.” 41 likes