Start by marking “Starter Set” as Want to Read:
Starter Set

Starter Set

(Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)

Explore subterranean labyrinths! Plunder hoards of treasure! Battle legendary monsters!

The Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set is your gateway to action-packed stories of the imagination. This box contains the essential rules of the game plus everything you need to play heroic characters on perilous adventures in worlds of fantasy.

Ideal for a group of 4 – 6, the Dungeons
Misc. Supplies, 96 pages
Published July 15th 2014 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about Starter Set, please sign up.
Mezz Goes Yes, it includes the basic rules, pregen characters that you can use right away and a campaign with all the information a DM needs to run it

Dan
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Like the 3rd edition starter box, the 5th edition Starter Set offers an inexpensive way to give D&D a try. The included adventure, while not destined to make the list of "Greatest D&D adventures of all time," is still solid including all the hallmarks of a traditional D&D adventure. It's no The Keep on the Borderlands, but it's plenty good and it succeeds at what it's meant to do: introduce new players and DMs to the game. AND it comes with a nice set of dice.
Lou Anders
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'll be running a Dungeons & Dragons campaign starting this week with this set. We bought the Starter Set some time ago for my son, and upon opening it up, were sadly underwhelmed by the contents. Two booklets, some dice. No battle maps, no character pawns or tokens, and the same artwork is used on the cover of both booklets. Compared to some other companies' introductory packages, it failed to wow the imagination. My boy left it untouched and eventually gave it to me.

Flash forward a year p
Jonathan S. Harbour
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: games
I got this set for $12.99 on Amazon, and it is now $11.99 (retail $19.99). For such a low price there is a lot of value in this box. First, a quality set of dice which will set you back $7-9 alone. The basic rulebook gets the game moving along with enough info for characters up to level 5 and enough monster and DM info to play the included adventure: The Lost Mines of Phandelver.

I've been running this adventure with a new group of players, currently 6 weeks in and 2/3 done. The story is very go
Diz
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rpg
This is a great introduction to playing Dungeons and Dragons, not just for players but also for dungeon masters. If you have ever wanted to run a game as a dungeon master, but were always intimidated by the thick rule books, then this is the perfect way to start. Everything is clearly explained without being overwhelming. Also, the sample adventure can give you a lot of hints how to write your own adventures and design your own dungeons.
Keith Gapinski
Dec 21, 2014 rated it liked it
It's a decent adventure, but I thought it really lacked something for being a "starter" set. There's not the same hand-holding that there's been for new DMs and players as there was in some of the other starter kits. I think the authors could have used the opportunity of the starter set to arrange things more like they did in the Dungeon Masters Guide -- here's the first encounter to get your party going, here's the starter town and the kinds of NPCs you need -- to show a new DM how to create an ...more
Michael
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adults, Gamers, Grognards
Recommended to Michael by: Serendipity
Shelves: fantasy, role-playing
I started out with the Holmes version of Basic Dungeons and Dragons around 1980, so I am both well-informed, but probably also somewhat biased, in my reading of the newest “basic” version of the game. After all, what we encounter at the age of ten tends to make a deep impression. Still, I do find this introduction to the Fifth Edition of the game I’ve been playing since childhood to have some merits.

Let’s start with the “basics” (heh). Dungeons & Dragons is the world’s first and historically
James Bowman
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, favorites, dnd, rpg
Short version: I really like it. I think it's a good introduction to RPGs, and a great introduction to D&D 5th Edition. The adventure is solid, too. Definitely recommended.

Long version:(view spoiler)
Michaela
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnd
Enjoyed playing it more than reading it. Oh Sóley Veiddurafvindu, my cleric of life, my wood Elf, my beloved collector of penises. You will be missed.
Alia
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Going through this with some friends - really helpful for beginners, and lots of fun. Can't wait to see how much trouble this party will go through...
Jamie
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
If you have never played D&D before (like me), then you will need more than just this starter set to figure out what is going on. Ideal audience for this starter set is people who have played previous versions of D&D and need some help/example quests to get them into the new 5th Edition. Or maybe people who have played D&D but want to learn how to become a Dungeon Master (DM).

Comes with two books, one is the rules of play and logistical flow of the game, second is example adventures
BG Josh
Aug 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: rpg
this edition is less of a game and more of marketing exercise. WotC has designed 5e as a snare for players who are osr or still playing older editions. I almost gave this book 2 stars because I know not to buy the others.

it is sad that WotC has chosen to treat it's customers with complete contempt. oh well.

if you "had" to get a game anyway 5th still belongs in the "don't bother bin". 3rd or 4th edition (or cyclopedia) are just as good. other games would likely be more appealing. savage worlds, b
Bert Janssens
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great to learn the new rules but the adventure will not blow you away....
The adventure is standard fare but (again) great to learn the rules.
The box is oldschool greatness but the fact that the booklets don't have a slightly sturdier cover than the pages is annoying.... and should be remedied in future D&D publications.
Ryan Stewart
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This turned me from partially interested to full-fledged fan (core books in the mail!) in a matter of days. It is well explained and you get a lot of bang for your buck with this, particularly through Amazon.
Ron
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wizards of the Coast have seen fit to toss you in w/o being bogged down with character creation, in this fascinating starter set. There are three books seen as Core Rulebooks for D&D, the first of which - and arguably the most important one - is the Player's Handbook. The Player's Handbook has well over 200pages devoted to character creation - making the choice to exclude that information from the Starter Set a rather bold one. Seeing as that information is available for free, in a brief for ...more
James
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're interested in learnjng how to play DnD, this is certainly the way to go. It's a fairly inexpensive set ($15 on Amazon in Canada right now) and it comes with some dice, a 30 page rulebook, 5 premade characters (who's backstories and personal goals tie into the quest that comes with the Starter Set), and a quest called Lost Mine of Phandelver that'll take more than 20 hours to beat. I've read through the quest but have only actually played one round with my siblings, which didn't even re ...more
Dennis Friedrichsen
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book(let) provides a basic story for 5th edition D&D. It is delightfully populated with all the tropes and cliches you might expect in a fantasy story. In this case (unlike actual fantasy books) it works well because it does exactly what it sets out to do, and it does it well. The dwarves are hairy, the goblins are numerous, the antagonist is simply evil, and you will be sucked into a predictable fantasy world perfect for newcomers to the game.

Mechanically, this intro set is wonderful.
Morris Nelms
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great way to start playing D&D, which is what my wife and I just did. I attended a session of D&D as a player before taking on the DM job. I have only played D&D 2 times and another RPG based on DC Superheroes a few times. I have never been a DM. I'm running a duet using this adventure, and so far it works well. I did give my wife's character some extra oomph (hit points) so she could survive, since this was designed for a group of players rather than a single player.
It is a great g
Ανδρέας Μιχαηλίδης
As an avid player for 20 years and a child of the 2nd Edition, it is with a glad and heavy heart that I admit this is the best edition so far. Easy access for the young, appealing to the old, carefully written and considered and perhaps, above all, the first system I have played which can be typically combat-heavy and yet the combat is so streamlined and easy to manage, without stalling the game.
Sylwia
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
A nice starting story for those who want to get into playing D&D but don't have a DM who'd be willing or have time to write customised story. A little bit convoluted and the play might become a little too long for casual players. The starter box includes all the necessities to start the campaign: the dice, character sheet, short set of rules, and chapter by chapter campaign.
Benjamin
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good starting adventure but you have to use the characters it gives you otherwise you may be unable to complete the adventure.
Spoilers:
If none of the characters get dispel magic. I am pretty for sure you can’t win. Well at least we couldn’t, because my brother played as a character he made
Shelby
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This is alright for someone starting completely from scratch, never have played before, but for someone who wants to get back into D&C after years of not playing, this is only really useful as a sort of example setup for character sheets, and a pretty good first campaign. You want to learn how to play 5e? Buy the players manual. If you want to learn to DM in 5e? Get this AND a player's manual.
Jeremy Blum
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic value. This set is essentially all you need to play D&D as a beginner, and the introductory adventure they give you, Lost Mine of Phandelver, is an excellent first timer's module with lots of sandbox potential. The box comes complete with a collection of dice and characters right out of the box, so if you can really hit the ground running.

D&D has never been more accessible!
Pavlína Vernarová
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ač světu D&D neholduji (obávám se, že ani tato krabice to nezměnila) zpracování je pěkné. Přímo skvostné! Pro někoho, kdo tu hru nebere jako nutné zlo (tedy nemá spoluhráče co fňukají, že se chtějí vrátit zpět ke kořenům RPG) nebo chce s RPG začít, je to užitečná pomůcka.
Peter
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great introductory material combined with a low level adventure that is absolutely wonderful. Fifth edition rules are described in short so that you won’t need the player’s handbook or dungeon master’s guide.
Cassie
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
My husband wanted to play D&D again, and he wanted me to play with him. (Apparently he likes me?) So, since I am the family rule keeper and have NO real experience with the game, of course I get to be the DM! This is a nice, easy intro as I'm learning. Simplified rules and a short campaign to run.
Steven
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best Starter Set or introduction to Dungeons & Dragons yet. D&D 5th edition is the best edition of this classic RPG, and the 5e starter set is where it all begins for new players (and old). The included mini campaign "The Lost Mine of Phandelver" is FANTASTIC.
Steven
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, 2018, game-books
Great way to start playing any tabletop RPG, especially so for 5e D&D.
Dave McAlister
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great intro scenario/campaign for 5e and the Forgotten Realms.
Erin BookNut
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
this is a decent starter for a casual newbie but the full on nerd in me wanted to full rulebook. guess I'll just invest in a player's handbook
Max
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, roleplaying
I read this hoping it would get me really excited for the latest edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Sadly, that didn't happen. This is a competent set, but there's nothing really special about it. I get that it only has booklets and a set of dice to help keep costs down and make it a really cheap entry level product, but I can't help wishing there was more here. I liked how the Pathfinder starter set had tokens and a battle map in addition to rulebooks, especially because both those extras were ...more
  • Hoard of the Dragon Queen (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • The Rise of Tiamat (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Curse of Strahd (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Princes of the Apocalypse
  • Numenera Corebook
  • Volo's Guide to Monsters
  • Out of the Abyss
  • Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorers Edition
  • The Keep on the Borderlands (Dungeons & Dragons Module B2)
  • Dungeon World
  • Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook: Arcane, Divine, and Martial Heroes
  • Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook 2: A 4th Edition D&D Core Rulebook
  • Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Inner Sea World Guide
  • Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (Forgotten Realms)
  • Edge of the Empire Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
James Wyatt is an award-winning game designer at Wizards of the Coast, and now holds the position of Design Manager for Dungeons & Dragons. He was one of the lead designers for D&D 4th Edition and one of the original designers of the Eberron Campaign Setting, and has written and co-authored dozens of game supplements. He grew up in Ithaca, New York, and now lives in Washington State with h ...more

Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition (10 books)
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Dungeon Master's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
  • Deluxe DM Screen
  • Volo's Guide to Monsters
  • D&D Character Sheets
  • Xanathar's Guide To Everything
  • Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica