Start by marking “Rules of the Wild: An Unruly Book of Manners” as Want to Read:
Rules of the Wild: An Unruly Book of Manners

Rules of the Wild: An Unruly Book of Manners

Playing in the dirt, staying up all night, and leaving clothes strewn across the floor are not a problem if you're a wild animal. Dunking food, burping, and splashing no problem either. Human kids, who are expected to follow rules, rules, rules, will squeal with delight as the pages reveal wild animals getting away with all kinds of outlandish behavior and will relish ...more
Published April 15th 2014 by Chronicle Books (CA) (first published August 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Rules of the Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules of the Wild

Start your review of Rules of the Wild: An Unruly Book of Manners
La Coccinelle
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
This book takes some very Western assumptions about manners, combines them with the idea of wild animals, adds some stilted verse with weird verb tenses, and tries to make kids laugh. It might be a funny book for kids, but adults are likely to pick up on some of its issues.

The main problem I have with this book is that it doesn't really do anything about teaching manners. It just shows all the things the child could do if they had various animals for parents. The chart in the back, showing what
Chiara Calò
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute little book for parents to help them teach their kids how to behave with humans.
The book explores the rules kids would be allowed to break if their parents were animals.
Ideal for preschoolers.
Lea Ann
Great book to read at the beginning of the year when letting students decide classroom rules.
Adrienne
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
What a cute book. I liked how it featured appropriate animals that would correspond with a particular behavior--like, lions say it's okay to roar and pigs would let you eat whatever you like.

See more of my reviews at http://adriennesbooks.blogspot.com/
Maggie Cheesman
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud-shelf
In the book, Rules of the Wild, the characters are many different animals. The different animals represent mothers and fathers. These characters say something that a human child couldn't do. In the end of the book, there are human parents and they ask if the child knows what they should or shouldn't be doing. On the last page of the book, there is a chart that states everything that was said. I think this book would be very beneficial for young students. This shows them how important manners ...more
Kate Werner
This book is all about manners and rules. It talks about different animals and their "family rules". For instance, the bats are allowed to stay up all night, the pigs are allowed to eat whatever they wanted, and the elephants are encouraged to make loud noises. At the end, there is a chart that compares the rules of each animal family and a human family.

This book is a great way to talk about all types of rules. It could be used to talk about different rules that families have at home or the
JaNeal
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I almost gave this book a 3 because the writing has some room for improvement. The meter is awkward (I recommend a scan through by yourself before reading aloud) and the language is a bit stilted. Still, I have to say hats off for a fun theme, darling details, and marvelous illustrations. I loved the facts-at-a-glance end pages. That was the last detail that helped swing me over to include the book on my list.

I'm not sure I would spend the money on it (unless I had a child who really connected
Oana Cerchezan
After reading this book to the students during the first day of school,we can come up with our own classroom rules and what we think is ok and not ok. This gives the children a feeling that they have a say in what are the classroom rules. This way if they break the rules, they cannot say that the rule is unfair when they are the ones that created them.
Mandy
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Summary:
You would have a different set of rules if you lived with an animal family. For example, you could stay up all night if you lived with a bat family!

Has a neat graph at the end graphing what animals would and would not allow certain rules. Good book to reinforce or review rules of school/class/library!
Lde212_06
Rules of the Wild is a great way to lead into creating the rules that you would like to establish in your classroom. It sets a foundation that emphasizes that certain behaviors are either acceptable or unacceptable depending on your environment. Teachers could stem off this and spark a conversation with the students regarding what behavior they feel are acceptable in the classroom.
Levin, Bridget. Rules of the Wild: An Unruly Book of Manners. (2004)

Annotation: If you were the child of an animal your rules of dos and don'ts might be different.

Theme: manners, animals, behaviors, poetry

Way to use with children: You can make a list of rules that humans have and ask if those same rules apply for different animals.

Recommended ages: 2- 9
Rachel
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cracked Elise up. The idea is that if your parents were camels, you'd be allowed to spit at each other, if they were bats, you could stay up all night, etc. Actually led to some good talking about why we have the rules we have.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Cute, the illustration style reminds me of a book I had when I was little and loved. Great inside jokes. Also the yes/no chart at the back kids will love!
Kristin Becker
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: madeline-reads
Love how this book takes all the behaviors that we say "no!" to & introduces animals that would say "yes".
Carolyn
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Manners rules are turned upside down when you're an animal!
Brittany
This book is pure comedy and entertainment, children would find this book hilarious. I loved this book and I think it would serve as a great read aloud.
Paula
Manners are not the same when the house is ruled by animals. A fun approach to the right behavior.
Jennifer Ho
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dog Loves Books
  • Spork
  • They All Saw A Cat
  • Duck! Rabbit!: (Bunny Books, Read Aloud Family Books, Books for Young Children)
  • Trio: The Tale of a Three-Legged Cat
  • Can I Keep It?
  • Nothing Rhymes with Orange: (Cute Children's Books, Preschool Rhyming Books, Children's Humor Books, Books about Friendship)
  • How to Read a Book
  • Little Oink
  • Love Is
  • The Bad Mood and the Stick
  • Rude Cakes
  • Did You Take the B from My _ook?
  • Telephone