Start by marking “Ryder: An Ayesha Ryder Novel” as Want to Read:
Ryder: An Ayesha Ryder Novel

Ryder: An Ayesha Ryder Novel

(Ayesha Ryder #1)

Ayesha Ryder bears the scars of strife in the Middle East. Now her past is catching up with her as she races to unravel a mystery that spans centuries--and threatens to change the course of history.

As Israeli and Palestinian leaders prepare to make a joint announcement at the Tower of London, an influential scholar is tortured and murdered at his home in St. John’s Wood. A
Published September 30th 2014 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2013)

SoWrongItsRANDI {Bell, Book & Candle}
ARC courtesy of Net Galley and Alibi Publishing in exchange or an honest review

Bell, Book & Candle | Ryder Review & Giveaway

This is my new favorite book of the year!

Action? Check.

Suspense? Check.

Mystery with History? Check and Check.

Plot that will keep you guessing? CHECK?

I nearly died and went to book heaven with how good this book was. Not only does it have some good action scenes, but some powerful dramatic scenes as well, that will pull at your heart strings. I love the whole Nation
William Bentrim
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ryder by Nicholas Pengelley

This is a thought provoking book. The author looks at a contemporary world situation, the conflicts in the Middle East, and offers reasons for it's existence and a possible solution.

The description of the book leaves out the fact that the author postulates these theories in a very entertaining and thought provoking manner. Ayesha Ryder is an unlikely protagonist. Events conspired to cast her as a victim which was a role she refused to accept. Her tortured past has for
Mieneke
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, thriller, crime, mystery
Ryder by Nick Pengelley is a compelling read, but it is one that may not please everyone, both due to its format and due to its content. To start with the content, Ryder is very much a story in the vein of The Da Vinci Code and The Rule of Four; academic thrillers that work as a sort of treasure hunt following the clues to solve the mystery. It’s the aspect I enjoyed most about Brown’s Langdon books, so I enjoyed it here, but if that is not your thing, then this might not be the book for you.

To
John Purvis
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Ryder” was published in 2014 and was written by Nick Pengelley (http://www.nicholaspengelley.com). This is Mr. Pengelley’s first novel as well as the first of the “Ayesha Ryder” series.

I obtained a galley of this novel for review through https://www.netgalley.com. I would categorize this novel as ‘R’ as it contains Violence and Mature Situations. The novel is written in the third person and is set in contemporary London, England. The primary characters are Ayesha Ryder and Judah Ben David.

Juda
Clare O'Beara
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-crime
How about a good fun thriller set on the streets of London, with action galore and a treasure trail of clues!

Ayesha Ryder is an expert in Middle East cultures having been born in the Gaza Strip but now a British citizen. She's inherited a home in London and somewhat of a fine lifestyle. The police come to her for help when a man is found dead and he turns out to have been a close friend.

The conspiracy theories surrounding the death of Lawrence of Arabia make up a lot of the story as he died in
P.e. lolo
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This is a fast paced book full of action and thought provoking intrigue of espionage throughout London and the Middle East. You follow with a strong female lead character in dissecting clues and trying to find where the next attack is going to happen and follow her as she works to stop it. Ryder is like Laura Croft, and she is working at finding the clues then what there meaning are. You as the reader are taken on her journey and along with her get to figure out what each clue is and where she m ...more
Barbara McVeigh
A combination of Middle East geopolitics, Lawrence of Arabia, and Raiders of the Lost Ark -- as well as a tour of Imperial London. Plenty of action and strong female characters. Loved it.
Austin
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot put into words how great this book is! Action, adventure, history, mystery, and politics all rolled into one incredible book, featuring one of the strongest female protagonists I have read about before. The way Pengelley weaved history and politics with the non-stop action and mystery was so well done, I felt like I had just started this book when I finished the last page. He combined all these aspects together, but what really made me keep reading was Ayesha Ryder. She is a heroine wor ...more
Marlene
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

This wild ride of an adventure story features a female combination of Lara Croft and Indiana Jones in a story that bears a marvelous resemblance to The Da Vinci Code, only with much better pacing and an edge-of-your-seat thrill-a-minute narrative.

In other words, I loved this book.

Ayesha Ryder isn’t quite Indy or Lara, but there’s certainly some resemblance. Including that Ayesha is chasing one of the same relics that Indy chased. In just as much danger but
Dana Kamstra
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reviews
I always enjoy an action-packed novel, and Ryder, by Nick Pengelley, definitely fits into that category. With every chapter, the stakes are raised a little bit more.

The storyline is both action and mystery. With every page, I found myself trying to unravel a bit of the mystery, especially the pieces surrounding T.E. Lawrence. But it is the action that pushes the story forward. The novel is an intriguing blend of history and modern politics. In some ways, I found the political aspects hard to fol
Becky
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When renowned academic Sir Evelyn Montagu is discovered dead in his apartment, Ayesha Ryder is called in to help. Initially, the investigators on the case only want her opinion on some documents found in the apartment. Montagu had clearly been tortured and his house ransacked - clues left at the scene suggest a Middle East link and Ayesha is something of a go to in those matters.

To Ayesha, though, nothing about the scene is straightforward. And as someone who was very, very close to Montagu, sh
Jillian Stein
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ryder is the debut work from author Nick Pengelley and was a wild ride from start to finish filled with history, mystery, riddles, murder, and intrigue.

Academic researcher Ayesha Ryder finds herself in the middle of an intense search for truths surrounding a mystery her recently murdered colleague, and former lover, had apparently stumbled upon. Mystery involving the potential of political secrets that have been kept hidden for decades and secrets that someone is desperately trying to keep hidde
Boekenvlinder
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Boekenvlinder by: WPG Uitgevers België NV
Shelves: read-in-dutch
Voor de blogtour van WPG Uitgevers België mocht ik “Ryder” van Nick Pengelley lezen en wat ben ik hen hier dankbaar voor! Dit is tevens mijn eerste deelname aan een Nederlandstalige blogtour. Eerder had ik het plezier om mee te doen aan de blogtour van het boek “One Night Unveiled” van Jodi Ellen Malpas.

Na de gruwelijke moord op haar ex-partner en goede vriend Evelyn, kon Ayesha niet anders dan erachter komen wie hiervoor verantwoordelijk was en waarom hij vermoord was.
Al snel blijkt dat Evelyn
Elaine
I enjoyed this book so much that I forgot to review it on here - I was too interested in reading the sequel!

This is the first book I've read by this author and I certainly want to read more! This book has Ayesha Ryder, who was born in the middle East but is now a British Citizen working in London as an academic researcher specialising in Middle Eastern affairs, as the heroine. When another influential scholar, Sir Evelyn Montagu, who also specialised in the Middle Eastern affairs, is tortured an
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Wow and wow. I'm 2 for 2 this week on my thrillers and I'm loving it. Ryder invokes feelings of Indiana Jones and National Treasure. The race to discover clues and secrets was edge-of-your seat thrilling.

I really liked Ayesha. Seriously an awesome heroine and tough ass woman. She's been through hell and back, literally, and she can hold her own against terrorists and killers. I loved that it was the women who were strong and who ultimately figured out the answers to the Lawrence puzzle. I hope w
Marguerite Gilles
Compelling suspenseful novel complete with rich historical backdrop and fascinating, gritty characters, both male and female,

Pretty accurate history, and historical conjecture, in a page-turner of a riddle wrapped in a mystery. A few years ago I read a book called "Lawrence in (not of) Arabia" - my parentheses - because, as an American, I wanted a better grasp of the true history and diplomacy among Palestine, Britain and the subsequent State of Israel surrounding World War I and its aftermath.
Mieke Schepens
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Het is alsof je in een spannende avonturenfilm stapt, met een verhaal dat steeds grimmiger wordt naarmate het vordert.
De auteur heeft een schrijfstijl die zeker weet te boeien, je leest het boek met een sneltreinvaart. Er is enorm veel onderzoek gedaan naar een nog steeds actueel conflict; het Palestijns-Israëlisch conflict. Het was voor mij als lezer heel leerzaam om dit mee te mogen maken via dit verhaal.

De spanning levert helemaal niets in door de hoeveelheid informatie, deze wordt er nog doo
Vera VB
Het begint met de wrede moord op een invloedrijke geleerde in Londen, vlak voor een Israëlisch-Palestijnse top die eindelijk vrede zou moeten brengen. De moord en dingen die erop volgen kunnen de mogelijke vrede in de war sturen. En er zijn verschillende partijen die liever geen vrede willen.
Ayesha Ryder was een goede vriendin van de vermoorde geleerde en wil weten wat er precies gebeurd is. De manier waarop hij gemarteld is, doet haar denken aan haar eigen marteling van twintig jaar geleden.
M
Forgeron
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Ryder to be a fast-paced, easy read. However, my pace slowed down as I found myself fact checking because I was unaware of some of the historical information I was reading and was quite fascinated by it. (no spoilers here)
The story is constantly moving along, I found myself wary of characters that posed no threat at all which is always surprising when you are an avid reader and believe you can sniff a dubious plot line from Chapter 2!
Readers need to keep in mind that this is a work of fi
PopcornReads
Canadian author Nick Pengelley has a legal background and a love of political intrigue, and his work as a Middle Eastern consultant and analyst lends weight to his writing. That expertise really shows in Ryder, Book #1 of the new Ayesha Ryder series. This fast-paced crime/political thriller not only is timely for today’s Israeli-Palestinian conflicts but it delves into historical events that helped shape the way the region’s political climate has evolved. From T.E. Lawrence, a.k.a. Lawrence of A ...more
Pamela
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ryder is the first book in the Ayesha Ryder series. It is a wonderfully written and professionally edited murder mystery, political intrigue, suspense, and historical novel. Yep, there is something for everyone in this book.

The background and characters were fully developed. I particularly enjoyed the main character, a kickass and highly intelligent woman. The secondary characters were great and some of the bad guys were truly vile.

The plot is thought provoking, exciting and fast paced.

I highly
Hannah Mary McKinnon
The first in the Ryder series is a wonderful read. The characters are interesting and intriguing, the settings are slick and the plot thickens with every page. Fascinating historical facts and political aspects pepper the chapters and make the read even more interesting, without turning the story into a lecture.

If strong female protagonists, murder, mystery, riddles and intrigue are your thing, then read this book. You won't be disappointed!
Jay Williams
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Exciting story that is beautifully written and packed with interesting characters that have real depth. I found it hard to stop reading at any point with the on-going action and suspense. The story is contemporary but feeds off facts from the past. Ryder follows clues more challenging than anything in "The Da Vinci Code." The ending is emotional and heart-warming, with solid satisfaction for Ryder, and for the Middle East. I recommend this book for a stimulating and exciting read.
Lauren Bromley
I received an uncorrected proof of this book via NetGalley.

I couldn't put this down. This book looks at a modern world issue quite optimistically. If only things were so easy. But this book was thrilling. I breezed through it, because I needed to know what was going to happen next. I can't wait to read the next one.
Iris
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this thriller which reminded me of James Bond and Indian Jones. It is not totally believable, but that does not matter. Ayesha Ryder is Palestinian, and a British citizen and researcher in London. She out wits and out fights professionals. I totally enjoyed this even though I could not believe it. I loved the plot involving Lawrence of Arabia.
Lis
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by my big brother, Nick.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book (maybe just a tiny bit biased, with Nick being my brother :-) I found it hard to put down. It's a great ride - action packed - and kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. Would make a terrific film.

Looking forward to reading Nick's follow up book, Ryder: American Treasure.
Patricia Moren
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a spy thriller for several years, now I remember why I enjoyed them so much; non stop action, always happening against the clock; believable and unbelievable mixed together; capable heroes and great storylines, which are very topical. They were all in this fascinating story which had a great ending. Excellent book
Hilary
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and exciting ... I definitely wanted to get to the next chapter to see what would happen, so many twists and turns, maybe a bit violent for me in some chapters. Great to read a local author. I would compare this type of story and writing to the movies "Bourne Identity with Matt Damon, or the "Da Vinci Code" type of story.
Cindy
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well written spy novel that keeps one guessing who is chasing who and what is the ultimate goal.
Steve Davis
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Awesome thriller. Ayesha Ryde is combination of James Bond and Indiana Jones. Hard edged action combined with a quest. Read this in one night.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Grains of Truth (The Truth Be Told #1)
  • The Yankee Club (A Jake and Laura Mystery, #1)
  • Lost Cause (Steve #1; Seven #2)
  • The Book of the Crowman (Black Dawn #2)
  • One Great Year
  • The Big Reap (The Collector, #3)
  • Lawless & The Devil of Euston Square: Introducing Campbell Lawless
  • The Circle of Thirteen
  • Zero Separation (Donovan Nash #3)
  • Stones on a Grave (Secrets)
  • Hard Target (OPSIG Team Black #2)
  • White Rapids
  • The Magician's Daughter (Valentine Hill, #1)
  • The Black Stiletto: Stars & Stripes  (The Black Stiletto #3)
  • Letters From a Murderer (Finley Jameson & Joseph Argenti #1)
  • Deadly Diamonds (Knight and Devlin #4)
  • The Informant (Kaz Phelps, #1)
  • Desert Rage (Lena Jones Mystery, #8)
Nick Pengelley cites many influences on his writing. Readers of "Ryder" will not be surprised that authors like H. Rider Haggard, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, John Buchan and Peter O'Donnell figure prominently. He is a fan of the ripping yarns of the inter-war years - by writers such as Sapper, Dornford Yates, Edgar Wallace and Leslie Charteris. His more modern favourites include Umberto Eco (particula ...more

Ayesha Ryder (3 books)
  • Ryder: American Treasure (Ayesha Ryder #2)
  • Ryder: Bird Of Prey (Ayesha Ryder #3)