Start by marking “The Unwritten Rules of Ph.D. Research” as Want to Read:
The Unwritten Rules of Ph.D. Research

The Unwritten Rules of Ph.D. Research

(Study Skills Series)

"A breath of fresh air - I wish someone had told me this beforehand." PhD student, UK

"If you are contemplating a PhD, buy the book and read it straight through to get the larger picture; then re-read each section in greater detail as you tackle each stage of your work.
I did the basic research for my PhD in about twelve months, then spent two years writing up the results

Paperback, 1st edition, 224 pages
Published June 1st 2004 by Open University Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Unwritten Rules of Ph.D. Research, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unwritten Rules of Ph.D. Research

Start your review of The Unwritten Rules of Ph.D. Research
Dragos Comaneci
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
The main advice of the book: Don't panic and blurt out the truth. :)
Eren Buğlalılar
Doktora sürecini başından sonuna eğlenceli bir şekilde anlatmaya çalışan bir kitap. Kitap adı üstünde yazısız kurallardan bahsettiği ve bu kuralların yazılı hale getirilmemesinin bir nedeni de çok bilindik olmaları olduğu için yeni bir şey öğreniyormuş gibi hissetmiyorsunuz. Doktora öğrencisinden beklenen yetkinliklerin anlatıldığı ilk bölümler başarılı.

Ancak yazarların tez danışmanını ve tez jürisini tanrılaştırma, öğrenciyi ise kooskoca akademide yerini bilmesi gereken bir faniye indirgeme eğ
Maddie
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sound advice for PhD students across disciplines. The title captures the content perfectly, the best guide I’ve seen so far to reading between the lines in academic contexts.
Vincent Russo
An excellent text on how to be an effective and efficient PhD student. The advice is general enough to be applicable to the majority of PhD programs, yet specific enough to not be vague, and to actually be helpful. My specific area of research is math / computer science, and the advice in this book is indeed quite useful. One of the habits I started from this book which I've found quite helpful is to maintain an updated annotated bibliography of all of the papers I've read. This has saved me qui ...more
Fariz Abdussalam
if you are thinking to get a PhD, read this book
if you are just started PhD, read this book
if you just finished Viva , read this book

in summary, you should read this book regardless in which stage your PhD is..
Fadwa
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Very useful guide for joining the world of academia and preparing, writing and completing an academic research.
Ee Cheng Ooi
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Immensely useful and entertaining tool for lost and clueless souls who are just embarking on their Ph.D. journey. In other words... me.

Will require a second closer reading. Found many sections painful to read - not because of the quality of the writing, but because they revealed the many gaps and blunders I made during my master's and continue to make to the present day.
Durand Jarrett-Amor
Deep Dive Into The Tacit Rules of a Ph.D.

A good read for future or current Ph.D. (or other graduate) students to learn about useful general tips for a Ph.D. that are generally not shared or discussed when one starts their doctoral studies. The one drawback of this book is that it’s really written for those who are in the Humanities. Otherwise a good read.
retnolaras
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Might want to re-visit a year or two after this. It has all chapter that you need for your PhD. Really helpful, and funny. Written in a way, as the author said, like conversation over a cup of coffee. Recommended.
Vasilisa
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good guide to PhD life. I wish I read it in my first year :)
Felix U-O
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful indeed, I must read it again and again as I go through my PhD.
Lienkie
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Saved my life.
Liz Polding
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very practical (and very funny) book that provides lots of sound advice on how to really get the best out of your doctoral experience.
Rich
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should have read this two years ago--having validated a lot of its lessons by experience rather than through received wisdom.
Zla10313
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Straightforward, with a decent bit of humor. Certainly not bloated, unlike a lot of these sorts of books, which I always appreciate.
Annika
May 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me before I started my PhD and it took me a while to finish reading it, but I am glad I did. It contains some good, practical advice that I'm sure I will refer to over the next few years. I wouldn't say it was an enjoyable read, but given the dull subject matter it could have been a lot worse.
Yiming
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grow
I would give this book 10 stars if I could. For me, it's one of the coolest, most down-to-earth and enlightening books I've read so far.

This book has given me "new eyes" for the PhD study - as an apprenticeship.

But more than that, the way this book decomposes and demystifies the PhD process, the techniques/suggestions it shares to deal with various problems, and the perspectives it keeps to see PhD study as a piece in a big picture (life), are all invaluable and transferable to dealing with ot
Nathan
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PhD Students of all Ages
Amazing book! I tend to have a bit of different philosophy from the authors, because of which I almost stopped reading after the third chapter. However, the book has amazing advice and perspective on the PhD. I think the most valuable element is that this book really focuses on the "in-between-the-lines" advice that is hard to articulate. For example, did you know that a reviewer can tell a lot about your character from the way that you present your references in terms of grammar and organizatio ...more
Miguel Duarte
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A friendly, easy to read description of some of the most important parts of doing a PhD. It gives you a general overview of what you should be aware of, in particular things which are "unofficial" but are expected of you. I would recommend this not only to current PhD students, but also to anyone considering going for one.
Ziyad Ali
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this thoughtful book that goes beyond different perspectives about doing the PhD and what follows next. It does not only cover the obvious rules of PhD, but also cover how other supervisors think of you as a researcher.
Marina Leban
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly patronizing - authors kind of assume that phd students are lazy and dumb, but then again maybe bad behavior does happen a lot. Otherwise very helpful tips, especially if you have no clue how to handle your phd life. Mainly informative for me as I've already read a lot on the subject.
Rob
Aug 09, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own, scanned, non-fiction
Useful, but occasionally rather blunt and cynical.
Brian
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fact, read-in-2013
Good read if you are either pursuing or planning to pursue a PhD.
Ahmad
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read by any PhD student.
Thomas
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book doesn't need a fancy review, it needs a fancy re-reading. Lots of useful stuff.
Pam
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended. I read it cover to cover.
Nicola Kloet
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genuinely entertaining explanation of things one should expect to encounter during a PhD program.
Önder

• The Global Brain
  • Bugs in Writing: A Guide to Debugging Your Prose
  • The Discomfort of Evening
  • Yaza Yolculuk
  • Global Brain: The Evolution of the Mass Mind from the Big Bang to the 21st Century
  • Sandık Lekesi
  • The Great Brain Race: How Global Universities Are Reshaping the World
  • Paradiso (The Divine Comedy, #3)
  • Design for a Brain
  • An Introduction to Cybernetics
  • Building and Dwelling: Ethics for the City
  • Diversity and Complexity
  • Natives: Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire
  • The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri, Volume 2: Purgatorio

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Gordon Rugg is a former timberyard worker and English lecturer turned field archaeologist. His PhD was in Psychology, on attitude theory; he then worked in Artificial Intelligence, moving from there to information retrieval and then software engineering for safety-critical systems. His current research includes a collaboration with a NASA researcher looking for life on other planets, and research ...more

News & Interviews

“The usual structure, and one with which we have no quarrel, is one which begins with the earliest work in this area and proceeds via the most important past work up to the present. Your” 0 likes
“In your own field, you should read in depth and in breadth and in time – you should have a detailed knowledge of the relevant literature in your chosen area, and a general knowledge of the main work in related areas, and of previous work in your area for as far back as possible. For” 0 likes