Start by marking “Hell on Earth (Doom #2)” as Want to Read:
Hell on Earth (Doom #2)

Hell on Earth

(Doom #2)

Volume two in the series of novels based on a popular videogame.
Published August 1st 1995 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Hell on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell on Earth

Tom Lawrence
Dec 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As mentioned in my review for 'Knee-deep in the Dead':

"Embarrassed to say I've even own this. The book reads like a 10 year old's story in an English class: "And then I did this and then I did that".

Possibly the worst novel adaptation of a video game in existence."
Dark-Draco
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the series. Marines Fly and Arlene have a plan to escape the Martian moon by rigging up a rocket from spare bits of scrap. But back on Earth, their problems really begin. Falling into a pocket of Morman resistance fighters, they learn that Humanity's leaders are working with the aliens. New monsters abound, as the two Marines, an ex-soldier Morman and a 14 year-old computer hacker, attempt to get to LA to knock out the aliens forcefield.

I enjoyed this more than the first, as i
Juan
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well played.

I last read this during the late 90's when I was a little kid. Of course at time the book kicked ass even for being from a trendy video game. As I reread this at my current age, its still fairly entertaining. It is an improvement compared to the first novel, Knee Deep in the Dead, in that the first novel was essential mimicking the pace and structure as though you were playing the individual levels to the game. With this book there was more liberty in creating an original story, char
A.J. Howells
Read the review of the entire series (plus much more ranting on the overuse of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) at The Books in My Life.

“I know how to get us across to Earth, Fly!” Arlene shouts at the conclusion of book one. Don’t worry, the worst cliffhanger is yet to come, making this throwaway line tame. Of course she knows how to get them across to Earth.

Through the mail rockets! Which Fly has to engineer! How is he able to do this!? Because he used to work on cars!!!!

My apologies. T
Eskil
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romaner
Til tross for et for det meste heidundrende tempo klarte ikke "DOOM: Hell on Earth" å holde meg interessert veldig lenge. Jeg tror ikke det er på grunn av at Doomguy og Doomgirl ikke er særlig spennende, eller at snikskyttermormoneren og tenåringshackeren de har med seg er kjedelige. Boka er rett og slett ikke skrevet godt nok. Den er full av one-linere og teite vitser, men det blir færre og færre av disse, og noen av dem (særlig de som involverer den ovennevnte tenåringen) er rett og slett ekle ...more
Michael Koenig
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great and fantastic ride. Once again, you have to have little expectation of a video game-based novel (sorry, don't mean to offend), but I was so pleasantly surprised. This book features great writing, intriguing action, character development, as well as references to James Joyce and William Faulkner. Great, great, plot. Can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Danillo
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Almost as good as the first one, but with some differences. The most important one is that there's more than one person telling the story now, so we get to know different points of view. It also has more characters than on the previous book.

The aliens/demons, the carnage and the action are all still there, which makes this a fine sequel to the first amazing book.
Christine
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: game-books
Once the characters finally got to Earth, I liked this book. "Go west, young lady. Find us somewhere safe to park..."
My Realm of Books
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the stories of doom and the games are very interesting.
Q.
Sep 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Dustin
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: future, sci-fi, tie-in
I have to say that the authors of this series continue to surprise me. Now that they have run out of game for the protagonists to play through they get to expand the scope of the story, and other than a couple of things in the first third of the book that I thought goofy they manage a fun story about Marines kicking alien ass.
The main characters solve the cliffhanger from the last book in the most direct and obvious way, but resolution is still tense and exciting. Landing in the vast wasteland t
Steven
Jul 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Being a big fan of the DOOM games, this entire series has really pissed me off. The first one was okay, the book after this one (Inferno) was a total mess but somewhat readable. In regards to this book however, I simply can't believe the wasted opportunity to create a great story. How do you make a book about the Earth being taken over by monsters from another dimension which resemble demons from our own mythology, and make it totally uninteresting?
Mormonism is talked about throughout the enti
Michael
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Doom fan.
Shelves: favorites
D.L. Denham
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Continuing where Knee-Deep in the Dead stops, we find our two favorite demon-slaying, zombie-‘sploding action heroes faced with the reality that Earth has been invaded. The story that unfolds on planet Earth is one that could never be guessed and packs a particular charm that I have never seen in a SciFi/Horror story.

As our protagonists travel Salt Lake City—there are fascinating reasons as to why it has survived the apocalypse—with two new members, one a wayward Mormon, Albert, and the other a
John Opalenik
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Based on the video game series, but only as a jumping off point (which makes sense since the video game had an extremely simple plot).

Rather than "demons" they're aliens, and the whole situation of Earth is actually a very small conflict, almost insignificant to a greater multi-galaxy war. Interesting idea.

I was probably too young to read it at the time, but it did inspire me to be able to read more complex books.
Sid
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have spent so many hours on the video game I was wondering what the background story may be. Was not even aware there were books on doom. Thanks to ebay I bought the lot cheap. Usually I don't read to much science fiction. I thought they were ok. Books 1 and 2 kind of explained what happen in the game. # and 4 took it much further. Not a bad light read.
Scott
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After the first book sticks closely to the game, this one goes off on its story. But the story it tells is EXCELLENT. The survivors on earth, how they're getting by, how the army has been defeated and the main characters are now in Utah being protected by the Mormons who've prepared for this their whole lives. Such an interesting and refreshing twist to a story I knew.
Georgi Pachov
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read-on-the-fly book, easy to read with some pretty cool humoristic remarks! Combine this with seeing the concept art itself (or playing some of the DooM games to be able to easily visualize it), and you will march on through the action-packed, humoristically written pages with incredible ease and increasing curiosity.
David Hackman
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Continues right from where the last book ended. It then drops any pretensions of going with the game and just makes it's own story. This is a good thing as there was little they could have salvaged from the second game, good as it was.
I.F. Adams
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genuinely enjoyable pulpy action sci-fi
Kj Bartell
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed the second Doom book. It was nice to read about new monsters and enjoy reading about Fly taking then all on and kicking but.
Meric stuart
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was a great book
Salvador Perez
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book that gives the original game more oomph.
Jeremy
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book when I was 12. Not sure how it'd go today.
Владимир Ленин
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
snazzy
Alex
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this a long time ago but I have to give this book credit for (view spoiler) That scene legitimately had me up at night afraid to go to sleep.
Apa
Nov 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, own
It's not a good book but hey, how would you expect Doom to read.

Funny thing is I bought this from a bookstore's end of business sale in Utah - the starting point of the book's plot.
Chris
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
The Mormons. The Mormons, I tell you.
Falina
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it
These are fairly entertaining, and not too cheesy. I like all the characters and at times there were some surprisingly deep insights.
J. Brister
Apr 05, 2013
  • Aliens: Rogue (Aliens)
  • Rage
  • Aliens: Labyrinth
  • Dead Space: Salvage
  • Aliens: The Female War
  • Prophets of the Dark Side (Star Wars: Jedi Prince, #6)
  • Resident Evil: Apocalypse
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  • Borderlands: The Fallen
  • Legacy of Blood (Diablo, #1)
  • Liberty's Crusade (StarCraft, #1)
  • Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2)
Dafydd ab Hugh (born David Friedman) is a U.S. science fiction author.

Doom (4 books)
  • Knee-Deep in the Dead (Doom #1)
  • Infernal Sky (Doom #3)