Start by marking “As the Crow Flies: A First Book of Maps” as Want to Read:
As the Crow Flies: A First Book of Maps

As the Crow Flies: A First Book of Maps

A look at different geographical areas from the perspectives of an eagle, rabbit, crow, horse, and gull.
Published March 1st 1991 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about As the Crow Flies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As the Crow Flies

midnightfaerie
Sep 18, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A book recommended to us to accompany our history geography lesson and all the children loved it, especially my 5 yr old. With studying maps of the world lately, this coincides nicely with the lessons, giving a different sort of look at creating maps, from an animals point of view. From a crow to a seagull, it takes about their different flight paths and then creates a map for each one based on where they went. Wonderful to follow along with, even my 3 yr old twins got a kick out of tracing the ...more
Tatiana
Sep 16, 2012 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title sums up this book nicely. The crow flies over various areas, from the county to the sea, with each section detailing maps of individual animals' homes. Then all the small maps are collected into a big map of the community, showing how different areas and creatures can create a functioning society. I was going to use this in my second grade community unit, but it ended up not working itself in.
Nola Redd
Nov 10, 2008 Nola Redd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pre-K thru 1st grade
Recommended to Nola by: Home Learning Year by Year
Shelves: children-s
This was a great simple book on maps. It lists various animals, and shows the route they take to get somewhere. First, the book takes us step by step down the path - we leave the mountains, go down the stream, through the meadow, and arrive at the tree. Each of these steps is seperately illustrated, and described by very simple and understandable words. On the next page, a map of the entire route is shown; it is a picture map and does not use symbols. At the end of the book, all of the maps are ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
Jun 24, 2015 Siskiyou-Suzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pre-schoolers.
I wish As the Crow Flies were only a bit more stylish, because it's great. Such a simple, subtle way to introduce the concept of maps. I think this should be read to children starting at 3-years-old. Having a concept of map-reading is not only useful when it comes to maps -- it's all about spatial intelligence! Geographical knowledge is such an important foundation for so much else, and simply understanding what maps are is the very beginning.
Joanie
Nov 14, 2011 Joanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book that introduces geography to primary students. This book also introduces new vocabulary words through bright illustrations and vivid verbs. Students will also understand how to read maps and learn about cardinal directions. It is also a creative way to have students create their own maps.
Justine Paige
Aug 03, 2014 Justine Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a map book that views books in the perspective of different animals. For example, the rabbit has a map of a farm, a police horse has a map of the city, an eagle has a map of the wild, and ect. At the end it shows the moon's version of a map, and it puts all the maps together. I like this because it shows that maps can be of different things, not just a city or an atlas.
Kelly
As the Crow Flies is a wonderful introduction to map-making for preschool-aged children. It's purposeful (maps show how to get from point A to point B) and show maps as representations of physical space without being too abstract. It also encourages perspective-taking, which is not an easy task for young children. I have found it to be a helpful addition to our classroom library.
Logan
Very simple, with each double-page spread showing a map from a particular animal's perspective. The eagle's map goes along a river from mountain to meadow to a tall tree. Rabbit's map goes from burrow to vegetable garden. I like this introduction to the idea that a map tells us as much about geography as it does about the map maker. We map what is important to us.
Carla Raymer
This would be a good book when introducing what a map is. It goes through many different maps with visuals so that the kids can follow it. It was a bit confusing to read the first time through bit I sort of got the point at the end. I would definitely have to break it up and make sure to pause and explain a little further.
Bailee Sanders
This book is a good book for younger children to read to get acquainted with the concept of maps. It incorporates animals and their homes as well. This would be good to have a discussion over if you are starting a unit on maps.
Katharine
Jan 11, 2011 Katharine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nordic-unit
Great simple book. No technical information. Very simple - the eagle flies from mountain, past a stream, to a tree. Then shows the path. Then a crow, then a gull, etc. Ends with the moon and combines all the animal's "maps" to show the path the moon took as it rose.
Karissa
This is a great book to use when studying maps. It is on a lower elementary grade level, however it could be used for all grades! This is a great book to integrate social studies into language arts!
Paula Hollohan
Great for grade 1 investigation of maps and your community. I like that all the maps come together in the end. I would have liked to see the bird's map more from "bird's eye view," but still a great buy for the grade 1 classroom. K-4
Kristin
My son loves maps and this is a good, simple picture book introduction to what a map tells us.
Robert W.
This book shows a day in the life of a crow; showing the reader everywhere the crow travels using illustrated picture maps that keep it simple enough for children to understand.
Jessica
Jun 06, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: geography
Very basic introduction to maps and vocabulary. Great to use with young children.
Jennifer Nelson
I love how this book teaches about maps. It makes kids ask questions and helps them to understand what maps are used for.
Lillie
Jul 22, 2008 Lillie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite part: When they put ALL the maps together! It was really cool!
Joann Park
Nov 30, 2010 Joann Park rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-studies
The crow flies over parts of the community. This is a great book that teaches map skills and community maps.
Clare
Clare rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2013
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Emily White
Emily White rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2014
Emma Hoyer
Emma Hoyer rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Amanda Hartley
Amanda Hartley rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Valerie Stephenson
Valerie Stephenson rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2016
Kayla
Kayla rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Sara Lemonade
Sara Lemonade rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Kelsey Byington
Kelsey Byington rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Marcy
Marcy rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2014
JGS
JGS rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2014
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • The Once Upon a Time Map Book
  • What Makes a Magnet?
  • A Cool Drink of Water
  • Maps and Globes (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Time to Sleep
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • The Wind Blew
  • Scoot!
  • A Picture Book of Christopher Columbus
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • When Will It Be Spring?
  • How a Book Is Made