Start by marking “Stories Your Mother Never Told You: A Canadian short story collection” as Want to Read:
Stories Your Mother Never Told You: A Canadian short story collection

Stories Your Mother Never Told You: A Canadian short story collection

A collection of 17 short stories from the author of Mother Mexico. From funny to poignant, from big city to small town, the Canadian characters will stick with you long after you turn the page to the next read. Find out along with the characters how cat ladies are made, how to seem decisive when you are anything but, and how to navigate grief.

ebook
Published May 14th 2014 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Stories Your Mother Never Told You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories Your Mother Never Told You

Start your review of Stories Your Mother Never Told You: A Canadian short story collection
Alice Yale
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the voice. I feel that the author pulls the reader along when the action speeds up and gives us a break when we need it it. There are wry and humorous stories in here, but there are also some heartbreakers that hit you out of nowhere. A good, satisfying read.
Ctrotzuk
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Stories Your Mother Never Told You" by Michelle Vandepol was an easy read over a great cup of coffee. The book itself consists of seventeen separate short stories where you find a collection of easily recognizable characters that we can all relate to. The characters are bound by an unspoken common thread and the sense that things aren't always what they seem. I liked that the book was able to either be consumed in one sitting or left at your leisure and picked up again as time permitted. I felt ...more
Anne Russell
You know that woman in the corner at parties who's more interested in observing than in losing herself in the revelry or the drama? The one who seems to be taking mental notes? Who enjoys dissecting and analyzing it all afterwords on the minivan ride home? Well, Michelle Vandepol is that person in her social circle. As a fringe friend of hers, not part of the small-town culture she grew up in, I've enjoyed hearing her insights about her community of origin during our long chats over wine, tea, o ...more
Sue Trav
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
This was the perfect book to read during my busy week. 15 minutes to wait for a kid at volleyball practice = one chapter read. Waiting for soccer practice to end = another chapter. I am usually not a fan of the short story genre as I prefer a full novel with the whole story slowly unfolding. I did enjoy this collection of short stories. Michelle's straight forward writing style and easy to follow plots made this a quick and enjoyable read.
Georgena Hlady
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
These short stories were easy to read with interesting characters who tackle simple to complicated journeys in life. What I found most interesting was how each story made me wonder how I would feel in that situation, how I would cope and what choices I would make. I loved how I could easily relate to many of the characters and carry their struggles with me through out my day.
Adeal Dicey
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the things I love about books is; they provide a unique opportunity to see inside of the characters minds. Michelle has made the most of that potential in this collection of saucy but discrete tales with morals, riddles and occasionally a satisfying end.
Mandi Plain
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. Well written by a Canadian mother. I haven't finished it yet but I can't wait to. I would definitely recommend this book to any women out there that at elooningn for comfort or inspiration.
Katie Miranda
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found one of the stories relatable when I was Matt and Cindy's age. I totally enjoyed this book. Excellent job Michelle.
Jenny Kingma
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed theses stories. The author did such a great job of developing the characters in each one that they all feel like old friends. They will forever live in my memories.
Stefanie DeKoning
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good Michelle! Very easy to read. Definetly reccomend it.
Katrina
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! Great Canadian characters!
Cynthia De
Great job Michelle.
Your stories are very descriptive, really making the text come alive:) I always admire those who can write, as that is not one of my talents:)
Lori
Sep 30, 2016
Janette
Sep 30, 2016
Heidi Martin
Jul 18, 2016
Michelle Vandepol
May 19, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Dawnreader
Rohvannyn Shaw
Oct 12, 2016
Wendy
Apr 02, 2017
Michelle Vandepol lives and writes in British Columbia, Canada.