Start by marking “Bir Nefeste Dünya Tarihi” as Want to Read:
Bir Nefeste Dünya Tarihi

Bir Nefeste Dünya Tarihi

(Para Quem Tem Pressa #1)

M.Ö. 3500'den 1945'e kadar kronolojik olarak düzenlenmiş; Avrupa, Kuzey ve Güney Amerika, Okyanusya, Ortadoğu ve Orta Asya olarak bölgelere göre ayrılmış, bir nefeste okuyacağınız bir dünya tarihi kitabı.Farkında olsak da olmasak da, yaşadığımız dünya, tarihimiz tarafından şekillendirilmiştir. Tarih, aynı anda ortak insanlığın hem bir kaydı hem de bütünlüğünü sağlayan bir ...more
Published February 2014 by Maya Kitap (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bir Nefeste Dünya Tarihi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bir Nefeste Dünya Tarihi

Ilinca
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As another reader put it, this is pretty much a "this thing happened, then that thing happened" account. Since it obviously never claims to be anything else, I don't see that as a negative. It's a great lightweight read for those who just want to brush up their facts and figures.
Aaron
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction
A tight 192-page portrait of world history from the earliest civilizations through World War II.

I read these chunks of history slowly over the last month when in between other books. Divided into six eras and regions within the eras, it's easy to follow a particular region through the ages with the page number references making for easy navigating. Each topic or notable development is covered in entries of one paragraph up to a page in length, and a series of simple maps show the growth and spr
Leore
Quick read even though the first chapter is quite difficult to take in - as well, it is about thousands of years ago and it is heavy about stuff we don't know or have much interest in today. I love how the quick summaries are very detailed however small, and all give a general idea of each period of time at different places around the world. Big problem, after I finished I remembered more or less one paragraph out of the whole book for it wasn’t very memorable at all. Recommend for those interes ...more
Trish
A collection of history "tasters". Nothing is very in-depth (like it says on the tin!) - instead the book offers two-to-four pages on a variety of subjects, including a number of ancient civilizations and empires that I'll admit I've never heard of, which can whet the appetite if you want to read more into the subject. Nothing very in-depth.
Baris
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book delivers what it claims to offer; summing up world history from ancient world to WW2 in a slim book. Although some parts of world history, ie. some civilizations or contexts (why or how some events happened), are left out, more cannot be expected from this sized book. A short account of the rise and fall of civilizations. No analysis, no comments; only quick facts.
For people who would like to refresh their general history knowledge, and for those who aren't familiar with some parts of
KayKay
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, history
A concise overview on the history of the world from the beginning of civilizations to the end of WWII. It is a good reference on some forgotten facts without bolting myself down to read serious history books, and it provides information on regions that I am not too familiar with.

There are 6 major sections that focus the history of different continents in different eras:

1- From 3500 BC to 800 BC
2- From 800 BC to AD 450
3- From AD 450 to 1066
4- From 1050 to 1700
5- From 1700 to 1900
6- From 1900 to 1
Rik
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considering the breadth of history it covers, the book does a pretty good job. There is no analysis or comment, and it only has space for one view point, but this is allows the author to wiz through with a good global coverage.
The Humpo Show [ Richard ]
The History of the World in Bite-Sized Chunks packs information about historical figures, events and eras of many countries into 178 pages – spanning the earliest civilizations in 3500 BC, to the conclusion of the Second World War in 1945. Emma Marriott covers the likes of Charlemagne, the Ming dynasty, and the Spanish Civil War, to name a few. A compact history book

This is a perfect, compact history book to provide readers with a whistle-stop tour of world events from the early civilizations,
Areej
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a great “refreshment course” on world history, filling in history gaps. Flows nicely BC - AD - 1000-1900 focusing on each region separately and connecting some together. Non biased and to the point, giving a quick brief history and highlighting main events of each era. By the time I hit page 30 I couldn’t put the book down.

I found the maps useful however wanted an annex of tables and figures summing up the information.

I found the Middle East part missing, it barely mentions the Brit
Rachel
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was okay to read, but seemed not so interesting (and I love History) You need to read it in "bite sized chunks" to avoid becoming a bit bored, which I did not do.
ClaireEva
2.5 ⭐ ...more
lia
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This is literally the world history in bite chunks. From the first empires and first civilization to the end of WW II and the great depressions, it describe what happened around 5 areas of the world (Europe, Americas, Oceania, Middle East and Far East) in 2-3 pages.

The good side is it is easy to read because basically each chapter is a minuscule summary of what happened in history. So don't expect any depth. It is perfect for someone who likes history but doesn't really want to read a long, ted
sisterimapoet
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction15
I ended up reading this cover to cover to a sick friend - which isn't really the best way to read it, as it's list-like and better dipped into. And hard to hold it all in mind, when jumping from place to place. But I feel it's helped me put the scraps of history I know into a better context in relation to the vast histories I don't know. I know I'll revisit it at later times to cement things. And I've already answered a couple of quiz questions with the knowledge it's given me!
Deniz
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This one delivers its promise: Six or seven sentences about every nation in history. It is a good start to learn world history, it is also a good perspective from which to see the big picture, which nation compared to other nations in their age, or which big events led to which others. You can take it from here to learn about the events in detail, with a clear idea of the whole.
Habjouqa
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed to read such a book, it added valuable knowledge.

Suggestions;

Chapters to be region instead of era would make the read and understanding easier.

Add more information to the historic origins of words and names (Example: the origin of the word slave came from the Slavs who were captured by the vikings and sold).
Rob
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic account of world history, enough details to keep you pacing along as you read, and enough temptation to make you want to go and read more about certain events. Was a great way of realising when key events in world history happened, I knew a lot of the names, but not the whens.
Michele
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this little gem of a 'packed to overflowing' book. I love history and this book wet my appetite and helped me to zero in on some historical events I'd like to look at closer. I really enjoyed this.
Mark
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does exactly as the title suggests - powers through world history from prehistoric times to the end of World War II. Doesn't just focus on European and US history, with a good look at all regions of the world.
Naomi
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is fine for a basic overall review of world history - could do with better maps and some photos.
Roddy
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit dry but not bad for a brief history of the world.
Drew
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While by no means bad, this is a veeery cursory glance at world history beginning in 3500 BC. It is crammed into ~175 pages, broken up by time frame, and then further broken up by geographic region. I think it would have flowed much cleaner if it was broken up first by region and then by time. This was a bigger issue for me in the first four chapters. There were many empires/nations that lasted only briefly, hundreds to thousands of years ago, and so having to refer back and forth to see who was ...more
Seán Kane
May 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I picked this book up at the British Museum Gift Shop as something light to read whilst on the train. This book is fun and somewhat informative, and has reminded me of a number of different peoples and moments in history that I want to read more about in future.

However, this book has a number of significant factual errors. Take the map on page 15 in the paperback version, which mixes up the geographic locations of the Babylonian and Sumerian Empires, or the discussion of the "Barbarian Migratio
Esther S.
I recommend this book, as it is a concise, brief summary of human history, spanning around 200,000 years. Although this book does not go into depth in the topics it discusses, it is a good way to learn about the overall development and growth of mankind over the last few centuries and put today's world events into context.

The book is divided into six chapters; First Empires and Civilizations, The Ancient World, The Middle Ages, World on the Move, Revolution and European Imperialism, and the fin
Joel
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tidbits and morsels of history, this little book is really the sweep of world history in an extended outline. I enjoyed it and learned quite a bit. Switzerland was the last country to give full voting rights to women (1971). Australian colonies, six of them, were federated into the Commonwealth in 1901. Thirteenth century Mongol Empire and fourteenth century Ming Dynasty and fifteenth century Aztec and Incan civilizations all deserve a look see! And Oy! the Ottomans just keep coughing along.... ...more
AmneeeReads
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading this book. It covers most of the history from the earliest civilisations up to the end of World War II and the breaking up of the last empires. All the major events are told in easy to read and follow mini paragraphs. What I loved the most is that I can now research further any specific era/civilisation that I want to know more about. The bibliography, which many people tend to ignore was a great starting point for me to use to read further books on topics that peaked my interest ...more
Nada El Wardany
It's good in knowing almost all the major history event although it stopped by the world war 2.
The book was biased specially when talking about the evolution happened due to the european invasion to the middle east and north africa. She called it " cultural contact " !! Also when she talked about the palestinian jewish occupation. She was talking as if the jewish are defending their land.
Mehmet Fatih Yorulmaz
A very well written, concise and objective bird's eye view of history...As long as you keep your expectations at this level, it is a good book. There are many detailed world history books out there amounting to thousands of pages. But there are not many succinct world history books. So, Emma Marriott definitely fills this void. Kudos.
Glenda
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truly brief history of the world mostly told through short accounts of military campaigns and political decisions that shaped the boundaries of empires. The part of the book I most remember, though, was the description of how the Black Death shaped history for several hundred years after the end of the plague.
Luis Celhay
Oct 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When in the British Museum, ask for some help. I chose this one; but, as the title clearly says, it is history in big chunks. Meaning, most of it is unswallowable unless you already have a picture of 5000 years of history. I am as lost with the first empires and civilizations as before I picked up this book. I do not recommend it.
Caroline
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-history
What you get is exactly what it says you get. This book is a series of short articles explaining different epochs in the history of the world. The articles are brief and full of information, much like an encyclopedia article. There are a lot of names, dates, and cross-references. Bite-sized is right. It is fine, for what it is, which is a nice, short reference.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Vintage Reading: From Plato to Bradbury: A Personal Tour of Some of the World's Best Books
  • JFK in the Senate: Pathway to the Presidency
  • History's Worst Decisions
  • Titans of History
  • A Dark History: The Kings and Queens of Europe
  • The Roberts Court: The Struggle for the Constitution
  • Theodore Roosevelt and the Assassin: Madness, Vengeance, and the Campaign of 1912
  • Stories Volume 1
  • The Penguin History of the World
  • Star Trek 365: The Original Series
  • Beacons: Stories for Our Not So Distant Future
  • Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Legends: The Truth, the Lies, and Everything Else
  • Neil Gaiman's Likely Stories
  • Going to Tehran: Why the United States Must Come to Terms with the Islamic Republic of Iran
  • Boston
  • A Short History of England
  • A Witness to a Century: A Memoir
  • Religions

Para Quem Tem Pressa (5 books)
  • A história da mitologia para quem tem pressa: Do Olho de Hórus ao Minotauro em apenas 200 páginas! (Série Para quem Tem Pressa)
  • A história do Brasil para quem tem pressa: Dos bastidores do descobrimento à crise de 2015 em 200 páginas! (Para Quem Tem Pressa, #3)
  • A história da ciência para quem tem pressa: De Galileu a Stephen Hawking em 200 páginas!
  • A História do Universo para quem tem pressa: Do Big Bang às mais recentes descobertas da astronomia!
“Enquanto donos de indústrias e negociantes de classe média prosperavam durante a Revolução Industrial, a vida do trabalhador comum ainda era dura e inclemente.” 0 likes