Start by marking “Altruism: The Power of Compassion to Change Yourself and the World” as Want to Read:
Altruism: The Power of Compassion to Change Yourself and the World

Altruism: The Power of Compassion to Change Yourself and the World

The author of the international bestseller Happiness makes a passionate case for altruism--and why we need it now more than ever.

In Happiness, Matthieu Ricard demonstrated that true happiness is not tied to fleeting moments or sensations, but is an enduring state of soul rooted in mindfulness and compassion for others. Now he turns his lens from the personal to the global, with a rou
Published June 2nd 2015 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Altruism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Altruism

Start your review of Altruism: The Power of Compassion to Change Yourself and the World
Holly
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-french
This is the book that never ends. It just goes on and on, my friends. Ricard is ultimately unconvincing, but he makes some great observations on happiness. Ricard insists that we are born altruistic, yet spends the majority of the first half insisting that we can learn altruism and reiterating how we can do it (with pretty good advice), which defeats his point that it's inherent. The second half of the book is completely irrelevant to altruism and is just a collection of research on how we can s ...more
Nancy
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads, dharma
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.
There was a lot to get through in this book but everything was relevant. We all have the capacity for altruism as shown in the research the author presents. With more effort we can improve society with more attention and cultivation of this.
Sharon
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
There is a lot in this book, to like and/or dislike; if you are a devout meat eater, you may not wish to read this book. It gives insight into trying to be a better person, for yourself, your family and the planet. There are many hidden agendas that are brought to the forefront by companies, people, and the government. It also shows how far money changes people and how truly consumable a society we have become but only because we have been taught. Truly a read that makes one think.
Andy
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Altruism would have been to make this book a lot shorter.

As with all self-help, what matters is if it resonates. Maybe this is the book you need now, but it didn't do it for me. I felt it lost the forest for the trees. Be nice. OK. Nuff said. That doesn't really take 864 pages. I don't think the central point requires all the scientifical and Buddhist stuff, etc.
Deke
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is only partly successful in that it successfully discusses how altruism can positively change an individual and by extension the world, but it never successfully explains how this would be globally effective in modern society (with sociopaths, Ayn Rand devotees, etc.).
Christopher
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Great concept, but read like a textbook. Would love the cliff notes version!
Michael Armijo
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My dear friend, Barbara Reynolds, who now lives in Petaluma, CA informed me in a handwritten letter that she’d seen Matthieu Ricard on some talk show and was intrigued about his book, ALTRUISM. It inspired me to order my own copy from Amazon.com. I’m glad I did.
This book is almost like a text book about how to live a more enriched and fulfilling life by being compassionate through love and sharing. I loved the many lines and tips I received. It took me a long time to read as I wanted to en
Naomi
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ethics
A looooooooooooooong read, but full of fine gems and things to discuss, debate, and consider.
Teo 2050
Ricard M (2013) (29:45) Altruism - The Power of Compassion to Change Yourself and the World

Introduction
– The Force of Example
– The Challenges of Today
– The Necessity for Altruism

Part I: What Is Altruism?

01. The Nature of Altruism
– Some Definitions
– Action Alone Does Not Define Altruism
– It Is Motivation That Colors Our Actions
– The Importance of Valuing the Other’s Welfare
– Altruism Does Not Require “Sacrifice” ...more
Karl
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished this over a month ago. However, I wanted to take the time to formulate a review because it's SO good. In all fairness, I didn't technically read it, but rather listened (thanks Hoopla/St Louis County Library!). As such, I don't have an easy way to reference quotes, etc.

That said, he mentions several times in the book wanting to present an overview of Altruism. If 800 pages or a 30 hour audio book counts as an overview, I can't imagine what he thinks of as in depth.
Daniel Rickenbach
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolute must read if one is interested in more than a "Fox News" perspective of the world. I feel deeply moved after completing this work. It's importance speaks for itself. I'm glad some obscure librarian had this book on display at my local library. I will always treasure this find. It has deeply impacted my life.
Douglas
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought the book was really good. I do think that there were some problems, though. I wasn't quite convinced by his argument that there's altruism in nature. There's some, but there's also a lot of predatory behavior. But I do think that book is needed and worthwhile.
Verena
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for everyone.
deleted d
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
altruism makes you feel better and is a part of human behaviour
Mina
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
'Read' as an audiobook...recommend it consumed that way - though an exhaustive conversation, not difficult to digest.
Mook
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is possibly the most comprehensive book I've ever read on any subject. It's over 600 pages! The Notes alone are over 100 pages! So what did I learn? Way too much to write in one review, and I'll probably be thinking it over for a long time.

Altruism has over 40 chapters, but only five main sections: What is altruism; The emergence of altruism; Cultivating altruism; Contrary forces; Building a more altruistic society.

Do you want to know the historical, philosophical, and scienti/>
Catherine
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
So this is a monster of a book and I didn’t agree with every single word. There was a section in here about vegetarianism that I found a wee bit lacking based on what I know about how animals on the landscape contribute to planetary health. But overall, it’s quite comprehensive and, frankly, should be a textbook for, like, sophomores in high school. No stone is left unturned. It goes through the definitions of empathy, altruism, even institutional selfishness. How we eat, what we buy, who we ele ...more
Erika
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, fun, research
While this book is a long one, I felt it was worth every bit of time and effort invested in it. Ricard does an excellent job of unpacking the problem of modern economics by looking at how issues of altruism (an important component of human happiness) are missing from most models currently being used in the realm of national and international policy. He suggests possible ways of infusing an understanding of altruistic behavior into economic policy for the benefit of all. He does not suggest that ...more
Pradnya
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an outstandingly engrossing book. It presents an in-depth analysis of altruism and the implications thereof for our individual and collective well-being. Excessive individualism, narcissism have adversely affected our positive traits. Modern research findings regarding the various ways empathy and altruistic instincts are documented in an impressively thorough manner. Especially enjoyable is the flow of language, of ideas and their implications for furthering altruistic choices and behav ...more
Shari Hardinger
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book by Matthew Ricard. He addresses altruism for the individual, for the community, for the larger public, and for the world. He covers so many areas including personal responsibilities, which is where it all begins. He discusses economies around the world and how we live in our environment and gives great suggestions for how we, as individuals, can be a part of a larger change through a ripple effect. To say this book was inspiring to me is an understatement. I hope to ta ...more
Diane Dreher
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Encyclopedic study of altruism, empathy, and compassion--what blocks altruism and what we can do to nurture more of it. Ricard draws upon his years as a Buddhist monk, his own neuroscience research with scientists Richard Davidson, Tania Singer and others, and cites a wealth of research to support his 700-page discussion. Reading this book feels like taking a graduate seminar.

A thought-provoking and timely read for these turbulent times.
Jeni Miles
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Five stars for the book's overall message as I got a lot of value from it.

However, three stars overall for being far longer than it needed to be. The constant copy/paste of quotes can be really helpful to better convey the key messages of the book, but at times the quotes were so excessive I lost track of who the actual author was!
Tony Boyles
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ricard presents an reasonably uncontroversial thesis: Altruism leads to a better world, so building altruistic institutions is the moral thing to do. Unfortunately, he is a little bit too credulous of Social Science (and particularly small-sample experimental social science). Fine, but not recommended.
Lennie Noiles
I wanted to love this book. It started off strong but soon it started preaching to the converted.
I'm sure there will be a lot of nodding heads from people who are already inclined to believe in Altruism and compassion, which I do.
I could find nothing here that was going to change peoples behaviors or beliefs.
Keith Corbin
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deep and powerful

One of the best books I have read in a long time. This well researched, lengthy tome shows so much about humanity and our potential. I do not know how this book will ultimately change my life,but I know it will.
Jenn Baker
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Started really interesting. Didn't love that most of the book dealt with "threats to altruism" - violence, selfishness, etc. Would have liked more focus on how to help the world and less on what is going wrong with it.
Mark
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the most important books I've read. Ever. Lots of very important evidence that points out the profound positive effect of altruism on the lives of individuals, groups, nations and our world.
Andrea
Mar 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Never actually got through this tome... 'Date finished' is rather the date I finished trying.
Nicoleta Rascol
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite long but there are so many interesting topics. one may think that this book should be split in two or more books with subjects that are complementary but different in the same time.
Charles Dion
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reads like a text book with interludes of deeply moving poetry.
Reading Along Wit...: Matthieu Ricard: “Altruism” 1 8 Jun 15, 2015 04:53AM

• In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying
  • Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior
  • Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less
  • The Only Way to Learn About Tomorrow: Current Patterns: Progressions, Directions, Solar and Lunar Returns, Transits (The Only Way to Learn Astrology, #4)
  • Guitar: The World’s Most Seductive Instrument
  • Mistress of the Vatican: The True Story of Olimpia Maidalchini: The Secret Female Pope
  • A Season in Purgatory
  • Dark Horse: Achieving Success Through the Pursuit of Fulfillment
  • Notre-Dame
  • Design Your Future: 3 Simple Steps to Stop Drifting and Take Command of Your Life
  • Game Changers: What Leaders, Innovators, and Mavericks Do to Win at Life
  • Why Don't Students Like School?: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom
  • Words That Change Minds: The 14 Patterns for Mastering the Language of Influence
  • The Millionaire Dropout: Fire Your Boss. Do What You Love. Reclaim Your Life!
  • The Book You Wish Your Parents Had Read (and Your Children Will Be Glad That You Did)
  • Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle
  • Adaptability: The Art of Winning in an Age of Uncertainty
  • Let Love Have the Last Word
Born in 1946, Matthieu Ricard is a Buddhist monk, an author, translator and photographer. He has lived, studied and worked in the Himalayan region for over forty years.

The son of French philosopher Jean-François Revel and artist Yahne Le Toumelin, Matthieu grew up among the personalities and ideas of Paris’ intellectual and artistic circles. He earned a Ph.D degree in cell genetics at
“Voluntary simplicity is at once joyous and altruistic. Joyous because it is not permanently plagued by the hunger for “more”; altruistic because it does not encourage the disproportionate concentration of resources in the hands of a few, resources which—were they to be spread evenly—would significantly improve the lives of those deprived of basic needs.” 5 likes
“The world has enough for everyone’s need, but not enough for everyone’s greed. —GANDHI T” 3 likes