Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul: Stories to Open the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit of Writers” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  756 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Being a writer can be a lonely and frustrating experience. The stories in this book-by a wide range of professional writers, novelists, journalists, freelancers, poets and screenwriters-will give readers insight into the human trials, tribulations and triumphs of writers, and writers a source of inspiration and commiseration.

Whether readers are beginning writers, seasoned

Published June 29th 2000 by Health Communications (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul

Nola
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
I loved this book so much that I've just bought a second-hand print copy even though I've already read the 400+ pages on Kindle. I knew it would be a book I'd want to revisit.

As the title suggests, this book contains 100 true stories to inspire writers. There are a few big names (e.g. Sue Grafton from the alphabet murder series, Alex Haley from Roots fame). As the authors' names didn't appear until the end of each story, however, there were many surprises. I'd be reading along with someone's str
StoryTellerShannon
Sometimes this series seems wussy but this particular book is absolutely great. You get to read about authors during their struggling years and times of doubt, and, it's all across the board in writer types.

Enjoy.
Indah
Sep 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Alih Bahasa : Rina Buntaran
Ilustrasi dan desain cover : Yasmine Hadibroto
Hak cipta terjemahan bahasa Indonesia : Penerbit PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Diterbitkan pertama kali oleh : Penerbit PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama, 2007

Tulisan Anda kerap ditolak penerbit atau media massa ? Anda kurang yakin, kalau menulis bisa menjadi gantungan hidup Anda dalam mencari nafkah. Atau ilham dan gairah menulis tidak ada, padahal tulisan sudah setengah jadi, atau berhenti ditengah jalan tanpa mampu melakukan apa-apa.
Jill
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Writers and Those Who Want to Write
Recommended to Jill by: I Recieved This Book As A Gift
by Jack Canfield
Edition: Paperback

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
Lighten Your Heart, October 18, 2008

I love the Chicken Soup for the Soul series, and Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul is no exception. What a great idea, to have published authors encourage other writers, by telling their stories.

Did you know that Dr. Seuss's first book, And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Stree
Jen
Feb 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Let me preface this review with the fact that I don't like soup.
My family doesn't understand this, because my father could live on soup if given the choice, but I don't like it. Neither do I like stew. There's something about practically drinking your dinner that doesn't appeal to me (unless it's Guinness, but that's a much different kind of dinner). I only like soup if I know I'm starting to get sick, and then it's like drinking alarming amounts of orange juice; a preventative measure.
The 90s p
Lindsey Silvestrini
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just when I think I can’t possibly love Chicken Soup more, they come out with Chicken Soup for the Soul: Inspiration for Writers. Writing has always been a passion of mine and the way that I express myself best. But like anything else, sometimes I experience burn out or writers block and lately it’s been both. This book came along at the perfect time and truly lifted my spirits and inspired me anew!

Making Time to Write was my absolute favorite section! One of the problems with being a stay at ho
Travis
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Someone gave this to me as a gift since I go on and on about how I dream of being a writer. This book was like an infusion of enthusiasm. Lots of little stories about writers. Probably my favorite was about this guy who buys a small farm house and when he isn't writing he is out doing experiments on himself to see how things really feel, so he can write about it with authenticity. So he goes out and shoots a gun in between chapters, or has his wife stuff him in the trunk and drive around with hi ...more
Amy
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
This is the second Chicken Soup for Writer's book I have read now. So many of these stories are so inspirational. Some memorable ones are simply advice on how to write, chance circumstances across the world that are too wild to be a coincidence. A few great ones about the author Alex Haley, and the last one in the book is a wonderful piece by Ray Bradbury. After reading many of these stories I found myself stopping, simply clutching the book, and staring out the window with tears in my eyes. Man ...more
Fonny Jodikin
Dec 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I think this book has inspired me to become a good writer with huge passion for the writing itself. This book has encouraged me once more to pursue my dream as a writer. I've once tried to forget about becoming a full time and dedicated writer. But this book has burnt the desire once more to become one.
Mironiel Blokzyl
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, to-buy
This book was literally chicken soup for me. When I first picked it from the library, I was skeptical whether or not I'd like it. It'll be cheesy, I thought. BUT I WAS SO WRONG. There was nothing I didn't like about this book. If you're feeling like you can't write anymore, and just down on your luck, read this book.
Judine
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It shows the support needed by struggling authors AND how they get it from their family and friends. Without support and feedback, it is next to impossible to make it as a writer and that's why my friends are such a valuable sounding board for me.
Yelena Casale
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every story is truly inspirational and made me want to triple my writing efforts. A beautiful book for writer for motivation, inspiration or to just enjoy stories of fellow writers about their writing journey and life.
jacky
Mar 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I bought and started reading this on a vacation. I believe it was just on the Cape, but I remember that while other people went off to other stores, I wanted to stay in the bookstore. The stories were held my attention at the time, but none jump out at me in my memory now.
Mar 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: collegereading
It's one of those book that just reaches out and touches your heart. I enjoy it for the sentimental and emotional journey that you go through when reading the short stories.
Zeno
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-read-as-whole
Nakokornihan din ako sa sarili ko kung bakit ko binili 'to. Wala eh, para kasi akong naliligaw na bata na kahit kanino sasama para lang makabalik sa tahanan.
Kristine
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to write
I always thought I should give up on writing because I can't do it for a living anyway, but this book made me want to write again.
Yvonne
Aug 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brill, finished, own
This is a must-read for writers, whether you're a professional or someone who just likes to pen a poem every now and then. It truly soothes the soul.
Jenny Whetzel
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seeing I am doing NaNoWriMo this month, I figure this would be a good time to read some books about writing. Reading this gave me motivation to do my best this month!
Amanda Rice Roberts
Dec 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay, so this one is not for everybody...unless you have an interest in writing. But I enjoyed it, because it's fun to get other author/writer's POV's.
Vernie
Jun 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who aspire to become good writers
I bought this book because I have stopped being a published writer since 2005 (thanks to technology=). I read this every time I wanted to be reminded that more than anyting---writing is my destiny.
Helvry Sinaga
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sekitar sepuluh tahun yang lalu, saya pernah membaca buku Quantum Learning, yang mungkin saat itu sedang ngetrendnya istilah Quantum. Pelajaran fisika mekanika quantum masih lumayan segar di kepala saya (saat itu). Pada saat itu materi dalam buku itu kira-kira "memprogram" diri sendiri untuk mencapai tujuan pelajaran dengan membuat semacam pohon perencanaan. Di benak saya saat itu, saya memutuskan untuk belajar menulis. Kenapa menulis? Saat itu saya pikir menulis itu menyenangkan. Namun, setelah ...more
Amy "the book-bat"
I really enjoy these books because the stories are inspirational and encouraging. I like to keep books with short stories like this in the bathroom because the stories are perfect for the short minutes spent (or even for the longer moments). In the case of Writer's Soul, it is very encouraging to read how different authors handle rejection and eventually managed to get published. If they can do it, maybe I can too?!
Rahmadiyanti
Rasa takut ditolak lebih buruk daripada penolakan itu sendiri, begitu kata Nora Profit, salah satu penulis yang menyumbang kisah dalam buku ini. Bayangkan, karena begitu takut tulisannya ditolak, saat menerima surat dari sebuah majalah nasional dimana ia mengirim karya, Nora langsung melempar surat tersebut dan melupakannya. Lima tahun kemudian ketika sedang membersihkan rumah, ia menemukan surat tersebut. Ternyata isi surat itu adalah pujian bahwa tulisannya sangat bagus dan majalah tersebut ma ...more
Ty
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Some okay collections of essays.

This is my only experience with one of the Chicken Soup books, so maybe they are all like this, but I didn't find most of the selections inspiring. In fact, for a book that I assumed was a pick-me-up, there was an awful lot of dying. I don't mean to suggest that those who experience death/illness in themselves or others cannot be inspired and/or inspiring, but after about the fourth story taking that turn towards, "then my father died" territory, I lost a will to
Lacey Louwagie
To be fair to this book, I don't think I'm the right "audience" for the Chicken Soup books, or I'm just not inspired by inspiration. This book is full of stories by authors who ran up against one obstacle or another, or wrote about how meaningful writing is, or about how it had changed their life or someone else's.

This book might have hit the mark for me more when I was sixteen, but right now, inspiration isn't really what I need on my writer's journey. Instead, I'm much more interested in readi
Eric Juneau
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
I needed a little pick-me-up for my writing these days (or maybe a Phoenix Down or Philosopher's Stone). We all need some motivation some times. I was hoping that this book could add a little gumption to my typing fingers. But the articles just don't give much to inspire. In fact, a lot of them did the opposite. They told me just how much more others achieved with so little to start with. The "genius" authors as I call them -- the ones whose success and talent cannot be duplicated or learned. It ...more
Andrea
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with a passion for writing
Filled with stories that are touching, funny and inspirational, I enjoyed this book immensely the first time I read it. The second time was all right, but not quite as enjoyable as the first. I was disappointed that there is no entry from Agatha Christie (who shares my birthday!) even though it is mentioned in the synopsis. I looked high and low and unless I am missing something, I wasn't able to find anything by her. Perhaps I should just read her books. Some will be on my reading list for the ...more
Nancy
May 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: writers and readers alike
I’ve been reading snippets from this book for the past several weeks, and while there are some pretty mundane stories included, there are also some real gems. The book is composed of short essays by published writers (some well-known, some not-so-much) on such topics as finding your voice, overcoming obstacles, the power of perseverance, etc. It also includes lots of quotes pertaining to writing and several cartoons. You don’t have to be a writer to enjoy it, as it gives real insight into readin ...more
Rose
Dec 09, 2010 rated it liked it
I found "Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul" to be an intriguing look at some writer's journeys into their careers and experiences, though I should warn those who might be going into it for writing advice that it isn't specifically a guide to that. The stories in and of themselves are of variable quality, from wonderful (notably Ray Bradbury, Earnest Gaines, among a few others) to so-so. Yet, I enjoyed this collection because it makes a point that as people, we have our own stories to tell and s ...more
T.
I suppose you fall in love, early, with all kinds of things, says Ray Bradbury. In his case he fell in love with books, which gave birth to his writing. He says, "I have run amuck ever since in libraries and bookstores, with fevers and deliriums. Hysteria must be your way of life, then, if you wish, any of you, to become writers." And I know deep in my gut that he is right.

"The fact should be plain now: I am an amiable compost heap. My mind is full of moron plus brilliant trash, shoved in my ey
  • Writing on Both Sides of the Brain: Breakthrough Techniques for People Who Write
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • Memoirs of the Bathtub Psychic - The True Story of a Clairvoyant and Her Dogs
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • Fearless Confessions: A Writer's Guide to Memoir
  • Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing
  • Thunder and Lightning: Cracking Open the Writer's Craft
  • Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too!
  • Action, Emotion, Surprise and More (Writing Active Hooks #1)
  • The Word-Loss Diet
  • Live Writing: Breathing Life into Your Words
  • Patch Adams
  • Pelajaran Berharga (Chicken Soup for the Soul Graphic Novel, #2)
  • For Writers Only
  • Starting from Scratch
  • How to Write a Damn Good Mystery: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide from Inspiration to Finished Manuscript
  • The New Well Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed
  • Writing for Story: Craft Secrets of Dramatic Nonfiction

Canfield received a BA in Chi
More about Jack Canfield...

“When you speak, your words echo only across the room or down the hall. but when you write, your words echo down the ages.” 1 likes