Start by marking “Misfits of Avalon Volume 1: The Queen of Air and Delinquency” as Want to Read:
Misfits of Avalon Volume 1: The Queen of Air and Delinquency

Misfits of Avalon Volume 1: The Queen of Air and Delinquency

(Misfits of Avalon #1)

Four modern-day misfit teens are reluctant recruits to save the mystical isle of Avalon. Magically empowered--and chained to the task--by a set of rings, and directed in their mission by a tight-lipped talking dog, they must stop the rise of King Arthur. But as they struggle to get used to their powers and each other, they're faced with an even greater challenge: the ...more
Published October 21st 2014 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Misfits of Avalon Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Misfits of Avalon Volume 1

Start your review of Misfits of Avalon Volume 1: The Queen of Air and Delinquency
Dan
Feb 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF'ed at over half way thru. The art is trash, and so is the story.
Kevin Wilson
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teenagers, parents, people that had a rough time growing up, children of divorce, cool kids
Being a teenager was not a perfect experience for me. It wasn't a succession of lucky breaks, cute flirting, and magical thoughts while I stared out across suburban nighttime skies. It was hard, ugly. I was angry at the world, at myself, and doing things without any idea why. My parents were divorced. I was depressed. And nobody I read about had my kind of life. Even the orphans that lost their parents to ninjas never locked themselves in the bathroom to cry for no apparent reason.

This is why I
Shannon
Jan 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
These characters are...shitty. They're very one-dimensional and stereotypically 'bad kids.' Nothing really gives them personality, and the entire story is over-shadowed by them fighting with each other because...they can? I'm not really sure. They just hate each other to hate each other. Even the two girls who knew each other before this hate each other for completely unknown reason. They're all just catty and saour, and it ruins the mystical quest plot that is supposed to be the focus of the ...more
Maia
I liked the premise, the humor, the not-so-likeable characters, and the artwork, but I was disappointed that the characters bullied each other about their weight (and other characteristics, but that was the one that really bothered me). They could have still been unsympathetic mean girl characters without fat-shaming.
Lindsay
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I liked the premise, but the amount of time spent on the characters arguing was ridiculous. I get it. They don't get along. Couldn't we get a little more camaraderie by the end?

******

Counted as my Panels Read Harder fantasy category.
Heather Fryling
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how she did it, but Kel Mcdonald made me care about four completely unlikable characters. Compelling in their awkwardness, the Misfits of Avalon are hillarious. I was pretty much sold at, "The Queen of Air and Delinquency."
Kathryn Kania
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
These characters are jerks but I really do care about them. They get fleshed out better in Vol 2 so if you're even somewhat interested in magical girls who are jerks, stick with it.
Kate McCartney
I liked the premise of this, but I did not like any of the characters. Their unlikeablity really distracted from the the plot.
Scott Moore
Nov 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Sadly this one did not resonate with me. The characters were a little one dimensional. The banter was juvenile but tried to present itself as edgy. The storyline went nowhere from beginning to end. The twist was not well done. It did not leave me asking for more. It felt like the story stopped somewhere in the middle of a volume, rather than at the ending of a volume. I assume the bad guy will have some revelation further into the story, sadly, I will never get around to knowing that revolution. ...more
Shyla Colt
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
From the black and white , simply drawn exterior, to the lack luster character interaction this book was lacking. I picked it up because of the cover and the title. They held a lot of potential for an interesting story.

The delivery though, fell short. Girls from troubled homes , discover they've been chosen to wild certain powers that come with magical rings they've been given. The characters constant bickering and over-the-top attitudes we're a major distraction from the actual plot. If the
Jessica
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I would say this book was fine. The fighting between characters didn't really bother me. I just didn't find myself wanting to keep reading and finish it all in one go. Then once I put it down, I wasn't dying to pick it back up. So yeah, it was just fine. Maybe it gets more exciting in later volumes.
Mikey The High School Librarian
Bickering girls, and drama. I was ok with this at first but the further I read into this graphic novel
The more I realized it wanted to be Sailor Moon with tough street girls. 100 of the 200 pages of this book is just bickering. Oh well...
Samantha
These are not misfits, they are a$$holes. These characters are hard to like. None of them appear to have any redeeming qualities. The story itself is not terrible, but, if I didn't already own the next two books, I would probably not consider picking them up.
Radclyffe U-Haul
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kimber is Gae 4 Rae and it's adorable

This was sold to me as "it's magical girls, but they're assholes" and it lives up to that promise
Erika
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Every single character is this book is beyond obnoxious.
Erin
Dec 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The art is pretty terrible, the characters are unremarkable except for their constant bickering over nothing, and the mythology is never developed or explained. This was...not good.
Amanda
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, series, gettin-graphic
A little underdeveloped both in story and character development. Like I got to the end of this and I don't really understand who these characters are and why they are even bothering being on the quest. Almost too episodic and not enough to tie everything together. The art is fine, wish it had been in color but can't hold that against it. That said it is an adventure story featuring some pretty awesome ladies, I just wish I knew more about them and their motivations.
Natasha
Collection of a webcomic series. Not my cup of tea, despite my love of stories with fairy tale or mythological references. The main characters aren't particularly likeable, which is part of the story, disparate personalities (kind of) pulled together to possibly be the good guys, or possibly be the bad guys, neither the reader or the characters completely sure.

It was fine, and I'll likely read other volumes if I stumble across them, but I won't seek them out.

Good for teens who like
Mary Bronson
I thought this was an okay graphic novel. This was one of the few that I have read that were in black and white. I loved the idea of the story of having a bunch of girls who are trying to fight and find a reincarnated King Arthur, but I am not much a fan of the characters. Most of them are so annoying. I will continue with the series, but it is not one of my all time favorites.
Ashley
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't really care for the story or the art. Its hard to get me to dislike anything King Arthur but this did. Not bad just not for me. :(
Kate
A bit goofy - the four main characters begin to get annoying by the end with the constant bickering between them.
Jenn Marshall
Feb 21, 2018
Priyanka
Jan 15, 2016
Lilja
rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Backstagers, Vol. 1: Rebels Without Applause
  • Afar
  • The Altered History of Willow Sparks
  • Giant Days: Extra Credit (Giant Days: Extra Credit, #1)
  • Something New: Tales from a Makeshift Bride
  • Shutter, Vol. 1: Wanderlost
  • Man-Eaters, Vol. 1
  • Giant Days, Vol. 4 (Giant Days, #4)
  • Giant Days Vol. 8 (Giant Days, #8)
  • Ladycastle
  • Giant Days, Vol. 6 (Giant Days, #6)
  • Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)
  • Meal
  • Spell on Wheels (Spell on Wheels, #1-5)
  • ANIMUS
  • Giant Days, Vol. 5 (Giant Days, #5)
  • Sink or Swim (Lumberjanes, Vol. 6)
  • Grimoire Noir

Misfits of Avalon (3 books)
  • Misfits of Avalon Volume 2: The Ill-made Guardian