Start by marking “Dead of Night (Ghosts & Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead of Night (Ghosts & Magic, #1)

Dead of Night

(Ghosts & Magic #1)

Small-time thief and hitman Conor Night thinks having terminal cancer is his worst problem. The illegal treatments keeping him alive are expensive, and the side effects a mixed bag:

Conor can raise the dead.

When a low-end hit points to a high-end job, Conor is suspicious, but it's an opportunity he can't afford to ignore. Armed with a set of soul-sucking ancient dice, a
Published May 17th 2014 by Quirky Algorithms

To ask other readers questions about Dead of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead of Night

Start your review of Dead of Night (Ghosts & Magic, #1)
Emma
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 really entertaining and original read. A necromancer who is dying; ancient dice which eat souls; werewolves, skinwalkers and vampires; magic users; reanimating of the dead; kickass action. What’s not to love?! Definitely planning to read more of this author’s work.
Pat Patterson
Didn't finish. Too bad though! This is a pretty damn good book.

I just couldn't take the pending demise of the hero. Or should I say peeeennnddiiiiinnnggg demise.

Every other paragraph we're reminded of his wasted, dying self. The massive, horrible expense of the only drug that keeps him alive (hundreds of thousands of dollars). The intense pain of receiving treatment (really really bad). The unfairly short duration of the relief (weeks or maybe just days). Then back to the wasting, while trying
Denise
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2016
Conor has a rather unique relationship with death: He's a necromancer. He's also dying of cancer. To pay for the illegal treatment he needs to keep him alive, he applies his corpse-raising talents to any number of unsavoury jobs, up to and including murder for hire. When he comes across a high-paying job that sounds surprisingly simple, he throws all caution to the wind and decides to take it. Unfortunately, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is, and the simple, straightforward ...more
Justin
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really sure why all the Editions descriptions are not in English lol, but at least then you can't ruin the book accidentally reading a too descriptive summary! I have read the 3 books already out in the Ghosts and Magic series and am pretty impressed with them. The main character isn't the tall handsome ladies man that most authors seem to make their main characters, instead of a half-dead shadow of a man just trying to survive...at almost any cost. The magic system while not super ...more
Melissa Hayden
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Wow. This world is vast in creatures and beings and magic. There is a system to the Houses that ruled in the magical ways. And lots of ghosts, though I did get confused as to who are ghosts and not, and what ghost meant here. I'm leaving the book believing ghost isn't exactly what we think of with ghost. I think Ghost is a term used for people who are affiliated with magic, touched by it some how or for those that are hired to do theft jobs along with assassinations.

In the end, I'm curious about
Mary
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Conor Night, a successful surgeon, left his life behind, including his young wife and daughter, the night he learned that he had terminal cancer. His doctor, a friend and colleague, gave him three months or less to live. He met Dannie, who showed him an underworld he had never realized existed. Illegal injections keep him alive, and sporadic hitman jobs let him send money home to his family, even though he's divorced and knows he'll never see them again.

One night, Conor goes out on a pretty
Mark
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this - I'd put it up there with some of the other UF I've read in the past few years; Charming series by Elliott James, Hellequin Chronicles by Steve Mchugh and Alex Verus by Jacka.

At first I thought it was going to be like a lot of the other UF I've read; we got our wizards, witches, werewolves, vamps and Clans/Houses that control what goes bump in the night....and of course we have a Necromancer.

The action was so well done, the MC is no over-powered mage in this, his powers are based on
Jon West
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
The paranormal genre has produced a number of novels that seem trite and formulaic. Kudos to Mr.Forbes for which is neither. Old characters and concepts, i.e. wizards, werewolves, magic and competing houses, all appear in this book, but twisted into a plot that feels excitingly fresh. The novel moves quickly and holds the reader's attention. The e-book is clean and well edited.

Our protagonist is a necromancer and the side effect of being a necromancer is that he is dying. Well he was dying
Andrew Rose
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Dead of Night is a contemporary Urban Fantasy with a Shadowrun feel. Conor, a necromancer in a world turned upside down by a magnetic shift, is dying from his gift but that’s not the worst of his troubles. Getting mixed up in a deal to steal from one of the most powerful wizards, set up as a patsy to take the blame, he fights back to try to preserve the life he has left. Necromancers might be pariah but by the end even the most powerful House will need his help if it wants to survive. The ...more
Robert Aldrich
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I have to admit, but I did like this book. The world-building was solid and interesting and the cast of characters was pretty fun. I've seen some comparison of this novel to The Dresden Files and I would concede that if you like Jim Butcher's series, you might like to take a look at this book too.

One issue, and it is a big one, was that I can see that this book was self-published. This is not necessary a bad thing - some of the best books I've ever read were self-published, BUT there are some
Jaime Jeffrey
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good

It was a good story, well executed & wasn't predictable. There was a surprise I wasn't expecting & I had to re-read that part. Conor/Baron was a great anti-hero. And I do love my anti-hero's. Can't wait to read the next one.
Will Caverly
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audiobook version of this recently, and it's the best damn thing I've ever put my ears to. Takes fantasy, mushes it into the modern world, and then smothers it in a thick jacket of dark noir. I loved it.
Brendan Manley
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

In line with the world of the Dresden files a great read. Looking forward to seeing more of this character.
Lynn  E Major
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead

Very entertaining, a find out the details and background as you read that worked very well. I will read book #2.
Meggie
I wont say this was a bad audio experience, but the storyline was way to depressing for me. My emotions are blank at the moment so I won't say more than that.
Daniel Bice
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
it was a great start to a new series and I look forward to more.
jD
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-all-2019
Now this is how you make zombie haters like me fall in love with a Necromancer. I've read mixed reviews on this series. So glad I am an independent thinker. Connor Night is my new UF wizard anti-hero. I had a good time with this character, this world and the secondary characters. The story is told in first person so it was vital that Connor had an entertaining perspective and voice. He does.

Connor's story begins with what I will call an apocalypse. Magic breaks out and spills into the street.
Sara Hollingsworth
Weird book. Not bad, but definitely weird.

I got this book series as a single collection, but I've decided to review each book separately and then I'll review the entire collection as well, though it will inflate my number by 1 book I technically didn't read, but oh well. Considering my goal for the year, I don't feel too bad and this is the easiest way to review each book. For this one, I've gonna go with three stars, though it's probably more like a 3.5 stars. There was some typos and grammar
Darren
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Cracking Story

I came across this book accidentally and the blurb sounded interesting, a necromancer in an urban fantasy setting.

I really enjoyed how fleshed out this world with all the different houses and fantasy races that now populate it after an apocalyptic event.

For anyone who remembers the Shadowrun table top RPG it has very similar elements with magic and technology.

The main character Conor is a necromancer who plies his trade using death magic which puts him on the fringe. He is
Montzalee Wittmann
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Dead of Night
Ghosts & Magic, Book 1
By: M.R. Forbes
Narrated by: Jeff Hays
Love this necromancer and his great spooky toys! He is dying of cancer, sucks up souls with this creepy dice, takes jobs with his best friend-a gal that has her legs missing from a job gone bad... There are all kinds of creatures in this world since the poles shifted. Trolls, goblins, weres, vamps, skinwalkers, and more but he is the only necromancer he knows. Magic rules. It is a fast paced, action packed book,
Éric Kasprak
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The last book I read from M.R. Forbes was in 2016. I was a bit burned out after the fourth book in his series (War Eternal) featuring the evil A.I. protagonist, but always appreciate his strong storytelling and writing chops. So I came back to him through this (Urban Fantasy) series. I'm so glad to experience all of the aforementioned qualities with the added freshness and imaginative take on his necromancer character. The world building and general setting are very interesting and really ...more
Daniel Stokes
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Facebook book ads have been surprisingly pretty helpful. I've found quite a few books that ended up being awesome that I never would have found otherwise. This series was awesome. I got sucked in and finished reading all the books over the course of a couple days. The protagonist is definitely a well done grey character; none of that black and white, right and wrong crap here. And he often has no clue if he's on the right track, if he's making the right decision, etc. It was pretty refreshing. ...more
Nicolas Knight
Oct 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Exactly what it says on the tin. A dying story barely kept alive by plot armor.
The dice gimmick is used, abused and overused to move this coughing mess of a story with the inevitable "The world was in a conspiracy our protagonist stumbled into" twi..., It doesn't really turn enough to be a twist, let's call it a gentle kink.

The "love interest is clearly disgusted by the MC until the author has to physically force her to like him through contrived circumstances.
I fell dirty just trying to
Ashley
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally original and exceptionally well written

I read about 15 Kindle Urban fantasies each month.
Forbes stands out amongst them all, due to narrative and plot. Read this series if you want adventure and wonder- distractions that I find are more sorely needed the older I get. No spoilers here... the cost of each novel is negligible for the vast amount of entertainment gained.
Paul Biles
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very pleasantly suprised

I read the divine series & totally loved it, so when I saw these gems in the more by this author section I thought, "Sure, why not." I love this series & was saddened by the fact that it ended. I wish Ghosts & Magic & the Divine series would have gone on a lot longer.
Giriniss
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Well at least this is a completed series of 4 books, with defined ending and over plot is good enough, a few good jokes also. Best necromancy magic description and idea I have encountered so far, no fancy glitter dusty fairy fartsy magic, you have to be dying to use death magic, and not in a good way.
Thomas Barker
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the story. Felt a bit confused at some things characters said that weren't really explained... It was more like a secret between the characters that I wasn't privy to. However for the most part it was captivating and kept me hooked. Interesting story and well fleshed out characters makes for a good read. Definitely plan to read more
Lyn Jenkins
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weirdly magical.

This a totally different type of "ghost" story than you have ever read. Magic, wizards, houses and death. Lots and lots of death. Gorry, horrible bloody death. M.R. Forbes makes it truly beautiful in the writing.
Diana
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

As far as stories go, this was good. The characters were compelling. For some reason, I just didn't get into the book like I should have, so I can't give it a proper review.
April
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
The idea that magic returns when the magnetic poles reverse is interesting but I couldn't get into the character of Connor at all. He was as described an assh**e. Why the hell did he leave his wife and child in the first place?
« previous 1 3 next »
Free Book Giveaway: Versatile narrator is giving away 10 audiobooks! 1 3 Oct 18, 2015 11:15AM

• Shadow Magic (Darkling Mage, #1)
  • Wrong Side of Hell (The DeathSpeaker Codex #1)
  • Arena
  • Dark Harvest (Darkling Mage, #2)
  • Dungeon Bringer 1
  • Dead Man (Black Magic Outlaw, #1)
  • Morgana (Everybody Loves Large Chests #4)
  • Breaker (Monster Tamer, #1)
  • Occultist (Saga Online #1)
  • Ghosts of Gotham
  • Cherry Blossom Girls (Cherry Blossom Girls #1)
  • The Heroic Villain
  • Vampire Mage
  • Power Mage
  • Hand of the God (The DeathSpeaker Codex, #8)
  • Shadow Sun Survival (Shadow Sun, #1)
  • The Merging (Las Vegas Paranormal Police Department #1)
  • God of Magic
M.R. Forbes lives in the pacific northwest with his wife, a cat who thinks she's a dog, and a dog who thinks she's a cat. He eats way too many cookies and donuts.

Ghosts & Magic (4 books)
  • Dead Red (Ghosts & Magic, #2)
  • Dead Stare (Ghosts & Magic, #3)
  • Dead End (Ghosts & Magic, #4)
“Pain is life, and life is pain. If it didn't hurt, you didn't care, and if you didn't care, you're already dead,” 3 likes