Start by marking “Cuernavaca” as Want to Read:
Cuernavaca

Cuernavaca

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Scott Flores’ life implodes overnight.
All that he’s built—a promising career as a standout college professor, his reputation as a brilliant young anthropologist and a near perfect marriage to his beautiful wife—is leveled and none of his personal fortune can change what happens. Grappling with the devastating aftermath and battling his own personal demons, he finds himself
Published March 15th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Cuernavaca, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cuernavaca

Claire Ann
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This first-time novel by Richard Perhacs had me right from the beginning chapter. His great character development and wonderful descriptions of the Mexico setting kept me totally involved. I felt that I learned much about the country from his honest outlook. One of those books that I wanted to find out the ending but actually didn't want the book to end. Keep writing Mr. Perhacs!
Christopher Lepore
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The plot is interesting. An archeology professor, Scott Flores, suffers the loss of his wife and unborn child which throws him into a depression where he cannot work, and has to resign. With the help of a friend,Dwyer, he moves to Mexico to work on an archeology dig at Cuernavaca. He becomes attracted to a young woman, Ana, working at the site. A man named Raul is also interested in Ana. Raul is also involved in selling cocaine and historical artifacts from the site to help finance the election ...more
Hannah
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book first takes place in New York, and then shifts to Modern day Mexico, in Cuernavaca to be exact.
The main character, Scott Flores, faces a horrible tragedy in the beginning of the story. As a result of the tragedy, Scott goes to Mexico with his best friend/father figure, Jerry. While in Mexico, Scott faces many issues, including external and internal conflict. Scott must deal with the many external problems he faces in Mexico, while also fighting against his inner demons.
I enjoyed many
Camryn Hall
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Richard Perhacs himself has written a few books but two being published including Cuernavaca. Being a lawyer helps Richard produce creative, interesting words and stories. He was inspired to write Cuernavaca, his first fiction novel because of this. Most of his writing comes from traveling to Mexico a couple of times and researching the culture to make the fiction story based in a real place. Cuernavaca could easily be categorized as mystery and adventure. Throughout the story there was a lot of ...more
Nicole
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was so much action and parts in the book that was filled with a lot of suspense, making me want to see what happened to all of the characters and how the story turned out. The characters were unique and made the reader want to find out more about them. It aroused some actual emotion.
After some horrible events, Scott is an alcoholic who isn't really taking his life seriously. After getting fired from his job, he and his father-like figure, Jerry, took a trip to Cuernavaca to a dig site to g
Maggie
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cuernavaca by Richard Perhacs is a novel that breaks cultural stereotypes while telling a story that all readers can find a way to relate to. Between struggles with infertility and death that allow the reader to connect emotionally to adventures and kidnappings in Mexico that keeps the reader on the edge of their seats, Cuernavaca is the kind of novel that appeals to audiences of all ages and reading preferences. This novel is the first fiction novel by Richard Perhac’s, a current lawyer in Eri ...more
Autumn
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it

A car accident that had happened, everyone wasn’t sure if or who It was or could have been… after a couple minutes they found out it was Lisa. When the accident happened Lisa was pronounced dead.
The theme of this book is like expressing yourself to others. But Scott never realizes that others will listen if he talks about anything. He just keeps it bottled up inside until something hits a nerve and he just goes off.
Even though the story took place in Cuernavaca, Mexico. And not many people know
Paige
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this a very good book once it really got started. The beginning was a little slow and a little long but overall it was a pretty good book. Raul had to be by far my favorite character and i almost cried when that plot twist happened. I liked how that almost every place is a real place that you have visited. I also like how you based some of your characters off of real people that you know. Great job for your first published work.
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked how Scott was described in the book. I also liked how it described his life and the tragic things that occur to him. I liked how it also described the other main characters were described.
What I disliked was the beginning of the book and how slow it was. It took me a couple chapters to get interested in the book, but when I got to the second part it got very good.
I didn't want to put the book down once I got to the second part of the book. It is so good.
Jessie
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cuernavaca was a really good novel. I think it was interesting and unpredictable-- some scenes kept me on the edge of my seat. It was a bit slow in the beginning, but other than that the book engrossed me. It had a very unique setting that Perhacs captured beautifully and realistically. I would recommend this book to other people. I'm interested in reading the sequel that will come out eventually.
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, this book was a really good read. It had all the necessary points for a good book. Although, in the beginning it did go a bit slow the rest of the story was unpredictable and intriguing. The setting was portrayed very well by the author which makes the story that much better. There are many twists and turns in this story that will make sure you never put it down.
Bri
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book not as much as others but i loved how the characters were describe so well. The first few chapters started off slow, but once I started reading it had gotten more interested. The scenery had reminded me of the time I visited Arizona the beautiful colors of the buildings are a sight you never forget. I love the part of him having an inner demon that he is facing battles with.
George Lyons
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I sat down with this book for what I planned to be just a few minutes to see where this story began. I had other plans for the evening but two hours later I found myself saying "just one more chapter". A very interesting story that offers more than a few surprises. I envision a movie if the right people get exposed to "Cuernavaca".
Victor H Fisher Jr
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good contemporary Novel.

Good contemporary Novel.

A contemporary Novel. With a little bit of romance, mystery and a lot of good interesting writing. I recommend you to read.
MariaStepnowski
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I think the book, Cuernavaca, is okay but the best. In the beginning, I thought was too slow but that is just me. In the middle it was too slow. The end was good don’t the best. As a book it was okay. I think the book is nice but if I had a choice I did not read it again.
Vicky Wittuck
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
The story had some twists I did not expect and some I did. Some of the information about Mexico and the region was very interesting. I would have loved more details of the archeology as I find that fascinating. Good job for the first time author.
Suzanne Weber
Nov 27, 2016 is currently reading it
Richard Perhacs blends all the elements of a good read in this novel--history of place, suspense, interesting character development, and, of course, a satisfying ending. This book would make a nice gift for someone who enjoys relaxing reading with a good plot.
Rajuda
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Cuernavaca was not disappointing. The sole reason to feel so was neither its plot nor characterisation, but the story telling that didn't stray or slacken much. I look forward to Richard Perhacs's second work.
Ken Matta
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story line with a plethora of characters. Once you start reading its very difficult to stop an put aside. Ending will be pleasant and surprising.
Lynne
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Very, very slow. I got about 1/3 through it and was completely bored. Tired of reading about a poor, sad drunk, I quit reading.
Ron Delporto
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this a very engaging story. The characters have depth and complexity. You quickly get drawn into the story. This first time author has great potential.
Pam Zimmer
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great story-a different kind of book. Not the same old story. Very engaging and fun to read but also informative about Mexico and the culture there.
Rachel
Bob Root
Feb 15, 2018
Mike
Sep 27, 2016
Rick was educated by a Benedictine monastic community at Saint Vincent College and earned a law degree at the Duquesne University School of Law where he edited the law review. He practices law at a large firm in Erie, Pennsylvania. A published author of professional works, Cuernavaca was his first work of fiction. After its publication, Rick took a break from publishing to pursue a Master of Fine ...more
More about Richard W. Perhacs