Start by marking “The Christmas Light (Christmas Hope #7)” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Light (Christmas Hope #7)

The Christmas Light

(Christmas Hope #7)

Sixteen-year-old Kaylee is faced with a life-changing situation that
Published October 14th 2014 by St. Martin's Press

Start your review of The Christmas Light (Christmas Hope #7)
Julianna
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Heartwarming Holiday Reads
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" The Christmas Light is another heartwarming, holiday read from Donna VanLiere in her Christmas Hope series. Once again, we get to visit with some of the residents of the little town of Grandon, where everyone pulls together to help their neighbors and where the residents know how to spread the spirit of Christmas. While most of the previous books in the series followed perhaps two or three major characters with the other townspeople in supporting roles, this
Bluerose's  Heart
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I firmly believe that you shouldn’t go through a Christmas season without reading something from Donna Van Liere. Her books are short and sweet, with a light romance. They’re clean, and always bring people together in unexpected ways. Small little connections turn into big ones, and heartstrings are always pulled. I’ve yet to make it through one of her books without tears.

I’ve read (and enjoyed) almost everything Van Liere has written. My momma has, too, and she’s not even a big reader. This
Staci
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Heart warming Christmas story. Miriam and Gloria add just the right amount of comedy. Their banter is lots of fun.
Loraine
SUMMARY: In the small town of Grandon, five very different people discover the true meaning of Christmas. Jennifer and Ryan are both single parents, struggling with their own losses and heartache as they attempt to move forward in the present while still holding onto the memories, joy, and heartache of the past. Sixteen-year-old Kaylee is faced with a life-changing situation that has affected her whole family. Stephen and Lily are happily married and ready to start a family. All of them are ...more
Ronna
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I got this book free from Firstreads. This is my honest review.

This beautiful little Christmas book is the story of different people in a small town, each with their own struggles. The beginning of every chapter has a thoughtful quote that adds to the story. One of my favorites was "Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light." ( Madeleine L'Engle). The widowed mother, the divorced father, the grieving child, the pregnant teen, and the childless couple are all brought
Susan Snodgrass
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love Donna Van Liere's Christmas books. I never miss them. This one was good, but seemed to be missing something. It was not as good as the rest of her Christmas books. It just didn't seem to have the emotional punch of the others. It's not her best work, but still good.
If you want to read her absolute best work, read The Good Dream. Absolutely amazing and heart wrenching.
Kathy
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Last year I read A Christmas Carol during the holiday season. It was a great way to slow down to reflect on the "reason for the season" and not "all that must be done". The Christmas Light is the story of a charming little town and some of its residents. It is a comforting story of love and hope in the midst of tragedy or unexpected occurances. The Christmas Light is a reminder to trust others but also to maintain a strong faith. I found the story and the writing very peaceful. This was the ...more
Theresa
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book! I love reading books with a Christmas theme during this wonderful time of year and this is another great book filled with the message of Christmas.
Betsy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Uplifting reading for Christmas time.
Paula
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Netgalley.com in return for my honest review. Thank you to Netgalley.com, to St. Martin's Press, and to Donna VanLiere for this opportunity.

This is an absolutely lovely Christmas story. Donna VanLiere is one of my favorite authors when it comes to heartfelt Christmas novels. I jumped at the chance to read this one. Each of the main characters is suffering in their own personal way and they come together to discover the joy and hope in Christmas. The characters from the
Vickie
The Christmas Light is the first book that I have read by author Donna VanLiere. What a really pleasant read. This is part of a series, however, it can be read as a stand alone. There are several stories going on:

Jennifer and Avery are trying to move on with the death of Michael, husband and father. Ryan and Sofia are father and daughter trying to move on with the divorce of Ryan and his wife. Kaylee is a pregnant 16-year-old who is trying to figure out what is best for her and the baby. There
Dawn
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys holiday stories.
Recommended to Dawn by: I've read all of the books in the Christmas Hope series.
Another heartwarming holiday story that will tug at your heartstrings and bring out many different emotions that will either put you in the holiday spirit or keep Christmas in your heart. As of right now, this is the last book in the Christmas Hope series. I've enjoyed all of them. I was glad that Gloria and Miriam were back. Their unlikely friendship brought some comic relief to the usual sadness that is part of this series. Although there are characters in each story who are experiencing hard ...more
Linda
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Every year I listen to one of Donna VanLiere's Christmas stories in the car on my way to and from work. I really enjoy listening to these light, hopeful stories and it helps me get into the Christmas spirit.

This was a sweet story about a young girl who is struggling with her father's death, a single mom hoping for her daughter's healing, a comical nativity production at the local church, a single dad starting a new chapter in his life, and a teenager who is growing up too fast.

The author
Phylis Carpenter
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Donna Van Liere. I laughed and cried during the story. It was such a touching book, once I started it there was no putting it down until it was finished.

Jen is trying to deal with her husbands death and help her daughter get over her Dads death. She has several different storylines going on in the book but she ties them up so well with each other. If I tell to much it will give away the story which I don't want to do.

JoAnne
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wonderful emotional read set at Christmas with sad tales that Christmas helps to heal. Nice closure at the end with lots of room for the story to continue - maybe next year! Recreating the Nativity scene at the church with the mixture of characters was heartwarming. Loved that we were reunited with Gloria and Miriam. Helping to set the mood as we rush ahead towards the Christmas season!
Elizabeth Meadows
This was so good. I'm starting to feel sad that I'm nearing the end of the series. This book features several families who are dealing with heartache of one kind or another. The church Christmas pageant brings everyone together to form a very wonderful Christmas story.
Donna
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Donna VanLiere writes the best and most wonderful books ever. I loved this novel and recommend it to everyone to read. It is a heartwarming story.

This would be a great holiday gift for everyone.

I won this book through the Goodreads Giveaway and am happy that I did. Thank you.
Selina Bloomfield
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! Not something I'd normally read but it was good. Like reading a corny Hallmark Christmas movie.
Amy
Predictable, but good.
Maureen
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great Book
Jorge de la Vega
So, a relative who knows I love both Xmas and books (and who frowns upon my using of the spelling "Xmas" instead of Christmas, given my enjoyment for the more... secular side of Xmas rather than the religious meaning, me being an atheist) gave me this book last year and I only got to reading it now. You know, late November read to get into the whole Xmas spirit. Anyway, while I can see how many people will find this book comforting and heartwarming... it's not my thing. Not only through being ...more
Angie
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Review: I didn't think any book would be able to have quite the impact as the first book in this series, Christmas Shoes, but boy this one came awfully close! I really enjoyed the story and the characters. Of course Gloria and Miriam had that great back and forth that brings a bit of humor to a pretty difficult story. I really loved Ryan and the way he interacted with his little girl and the other characters on a whole, and Jennifer's dedication to her daughter and her mental well being is ...more
Vin
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clwseattle
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
With The Christmas Light I have finally caught up with all the Christmas Hope books.

The Christmas Light is another sparkling gem in this series of stars with wit, charm, sadness and hope all wrapped around Christmas. The balloon scene totally undid my heart.

I appreciate the good use of quotes and once again, I consider myself a quote collector: I absolutely enjoy researching them, finding them, reading them and using them. Donna VanLier uses quotes so beautifully with great thoughtfulness to her
Mom2triplets04
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This one was my least favorite so far of the series. Again I had issues with the POVs switching without warning us. I was extremely excited to meet new characters especially triplets, however, it annoyed me as she kept calling them triplet one, two and three! I have triplets and they have names and should be treated as individuals even if they do look alike.

I did cry during one part.

Some of the story was a bit far fetched and old characters did show up again.

Was hoping she’d give us more from
Becky Tatar
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A sweet, inspirational story. There is a religious tone to the story, but it is along the lines of the Jeanette Oke books, or the "Touched by an Angel." It's not in your face preaching. This is a story of two single parents who are struggling with the circumstances that let to their situations. Ryan's wife left him and his daughter, and Jennifer's husband died in a car crash. This is a town where everyone wants to help.

Writing style warning - it's written in 3rd person present - as if someone
Tina
8 of 10 in this series finished this morning - I'm confident I will finish the series before January closes, as they are quick reads.

I say "finish" lightly because I have no idea if book #10 is the last one in this series, tbh.

Anyway, again, a sweet read which really interlocks the characters in idyllic Grandon as realistically and tenderly as possible.

Christmas is known as a time of light in the darkness...for me, Christmas light lingers every day. And, that's why I keep reading these books
Roberta
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Well, I guess Donna VanLiere has become a Christmas tradition for me, although not intentionally. I didn't realize how many of her Christmas novels I've read till I looked through my list. Some of the characters were familiar and some were newly introduced. The Christmas production with ill-behaved "actors" was comical at times. Her stories are never overly saccharine. My only complaint is that the cast of characters is large enough to become unwieldy. I sometimes forget who's who.
Mary A. Muchowicz
Christmas angels come in all shapes and sizes

Jen is still grieving the expected loss of her husband and trying to help her daughter, Avery who was devastated at losing her Dad. Ryan wants to help his daughter Sophie have a happy life although her mother left them for another man. Kaylee is trying to find the spirit of Christmas although she is 16 and pregnant. A raucous and wild Nativity manages to bring so much healing and love to those who needed it the most.
KAREN RUTH ULLOM
A GLORIOUS ENDING TO A CURIOUS BEGINNING

Every year I read several Christmas stories I have collected over three decades and this story is at or near the top of my favorites because there was a miracle at the end. The miracle of Jesus ' birth is the most important, influential, and WONDERFUL miracle of all that will fill hearts throughout eternity even though darkness filters though our lives occasionally. His light is always there to show us the best path to take.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • Mr. Miracle (Angelic Intervention, #10)
  • A Winter Dream
  • The Mistletoe Promise
  • Angels at the Table (Angels Everywhere, #7)
  • A Christmas Home (A Dog Named Christmas #2)
  • The Glass Kitchen
  • The Christmas Basket
  • Catching Christmas
  • Noel Street
  • The Mistletoe Secret
  • Godwink Christmas: Stories
  • The Noel Diary (The Noel Collection, #1)
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • The Gift
  • Starry Night
  • Alaskan Holiday
  • Twelve Days of Christmas
Donna is a New York Timesand USA Todaybest-selling author. She's an in-demand conference speaker and gifted teacher and has 14 published books including four that have been adapted into movies.

Donna is the recipient of multiple industry awards including a Retailer's Choice Award for Fiction, a Dove Award, a Silver Angel Award, two Audie Awardsfor best inspirational fiction, a nominee for a Gold

Christmas Hope (9 books)
  • The Christmas Shoes (Christmas Hope #1)
  • The Christmas Blessing (Christmas Hope, #2)
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
  • The Christmas Secret (Christmas Hope, #5)
  • The Christmas Note (Christmas Hope #6)
  • The Christmas Town (Christmas Hope #8)
  • The Christmas Star (Christmas Hope #9)
“So much of life is made up of questions that we think matter today but are forgotten tomorrow.” 1 likes
“Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence … —HELEN KELLER” 0 likes