Start by marking “It's Not My Favorite” as Want to Read:
It's Not My Favorite

It's Not My Favorite

(Lake Effect #1)

This title has been UNPUBLISHED and is no longer offered by the author or publisher. Please see the information for "Finding My Favorite" (The Lake Effect Series, Book 1) to begin reading this series.
Published October 31st 2013 by Sittin' on a Goldmine Productions LLC (first published October 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not My Favorite, please sign up.
Rue I have a very strong relationship with my sister. I think our common sense of humor would keep us strongly connected even if we weren't related!

Dee
I'm confused why this is toted as a lesbian romance, okay there is a subplot pertaining to the main characters gay sister. But 90% of this story is about a very straight Gwenn including many many references to guy/girl fucking.
Angie
It's Not My Favorite is certainly not one of my favorites. I loved the sound of this one from the description, but it's really not anything like that. Gwenn and Rachel are sisters and very close, and they've both had to deal with their born again Christian parents trying to direct their lives. Mostly, their mother criticizes everything about them and constantly tries to hook them up with nice Christian boys. Well, Gwenn isn't interested in anyone from church and Rachel is a lesbian (not that her ...more
Joood Hooligan
here is some crazy as hell stuff going on in this book. Ridiculous, but in a way that I absolutely enjoyed and I'm not even ashamed. It's because of that reason that I just couldn't put it down. I needed to know what the hell was going to happen, because it was so different than anything I expected it to be.

Read more here:
Renee
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first chapter was very steamy! Then ...it was a dream! OMG The Hutchinson sisters grew up the daughters of a preacher. I got the feeling that if one or both ever did find and marry "a good Christian boy" they would find something else to complain about. The conversations between them were the high point for me. Their mother spoke in Minnesota lingo so it was a treat.
As for the main characters Gwenn (Gwendolyn) and her sister Rachel are funny. When it comes to the sister likeness they are not
1-Click Addict Support Group
Please note: We had two reviewers read this book, and their ratings differed greatly. The rating given is a hallfway point between the two. That's books, right?

This is a good book about sisters who stick together through it all. The love they have for each other goes above and beyond, and around the globe.

Gwenn and her sister Rachel are the main ladies in this one. Gwenn has dreams she was switched at birth and she is not really trapped in her family. Rachel is gay and out of the closet with eve
Tanya
May 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This reads like a Lifetime movie. It's ridiculous. The dialogue is poorly written and doesn't sound the way anyone actually talks. Who uses someone's name six times in one conversation? If she called her sister "Rache" one more unnecessary time, I was going to throw the book across the room.

The other stupid part of this book was the constant label dropping. I don't care if she's wearing a Patagonia jacket or Michael Kors shoes. She covered every single quasi-designer label out there.

I went int
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
It's Not My Favorite is a little bit silly, a lot funny, and also has its share of heartache and getting to terms with a difficult family.

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Emily Ross
I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.

I expected more from this novel than I received. It's less about two sisters and more about one of the sisters and her possible brother/lover. I really liked Rachel, whose story line is mostly crammed into a few small chapters while the main plot focuses on Gwenn. I feel like Rachel would have been much more interesting as the main character in this novel, or at least a serious secondary character. He
Mollien Fote Osterman
Title: It's Not My Favorite (The Lake Effect Series Book 1)
Author: Rue
Page Count: 321 pages
Heat Level: 2 flames out of 5
Rating: 3.6 stars out of 5
Blurb:

"An irreverent, modern-day, romantic comedy!"

The Hutchinson sisters grew up under the piercing, pious stare of a preacher’s wife. Plagued by her ever-disappointed refrain, “Well, it’s not my
Heather R Callahan
Genre(s):Romance
Page Count:321
Heat Level: 3 flames out of 5
Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Gwenn and Rachel are very close sisters. Gwenn is single, and looking for love. Rachel is a lesbian, and has been keeping it from her parents. He mother is a very strong Christian, and is always trying to find the two girls “good Christian guys”.

Gwenn meets th
Paula  Phillips
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up , Gwen was the sister that did no wrong as it was pretty difficult to make a wayward step when your father happened to be the local Preacher. Now that Gwen and her sister Rachel who happens to be Gay but her parents aren't aware yet, though she has been out of the closet to all her friends for the past ten years. For the past few months, Gwen has been feeling restless and lost and she is about to discover why when she helps her parent's pack up for their next big move. Sitting in the ...more
Slipperyvowels
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A REFRESHING STORY AND STORY-LINE.....

This is a good one to get the yummy feelings going. I thoroughly enjoyed the story-line, Gwenn and Daniel, Rachel and Anne, and who can forget the impressionable Todd and of course the holier-than-though parents, Ed and Shirley. Characters that are real and who you can relate to always turns out to be a good read. It was a joy being in their lives, and though it was 'short' (to me it was over way to quickly, maybe because i enjoyed it so much) I thoroughly e
Karen Grage
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
While there were some interesting characters and great banter at times in this story, all in all I found it to be choppy and all over the place. I think the author had way too much going on to be an enjoyable read. Really also found the 'father/brother/lover' twist a little disturbing.

** I received an e-copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.
Miss Kate Reads
I enjoyed the dynamics between the sisters and while the actions occasionally seemed a little over the top (for everyone involved - except maybe the parents, I've seen those parents) it was an enjoyable read.
Marguerita
I liked the book because it had me laughing through the whole book and I found myself loving the relationship between the sisters. I wanted a little more from the book, but overall I did enjoy it.
Bonnie Dale Keck
Not kindle unlimited

Has this linking thing that opens up a second window, showing you pictures of what is being described, so sort of neat {but not} as not sure it added that much to the story overall, so more of a gimmic. As for the rest...don't do chick lit, romances, anything with the word romance in it {including paranormal romance, because even though the paranormal is first it never is a major part of the story, so chick like romance}. The 2 sisters, one gay, did not bother me, but another
Victoria Schwimley
I just had the pleasure of listening to It’s Not my Favorite, by Rue. I absolutely loved this story. I especially enjoyed the bond between the two quirky sisters. I have two sisters that I’m very close to, so the relationship touched my heart. As a warning, there is some language and mild sexual encounters. I wasn’t offended. However, If you’re bothered by these, just be aware they are there. Aside from entertaining, I found the story to be warm, at times funny, and overall, I enjoyed the lesson ...more
Lelouch
Unfortunately this isn't quite the story I was hoping for. I saw it was tagged as LGBT on goodreads, and half the summary is devoted to the sister. The sister was a very small part of the book, as most of it features Gwen. from the cover, I thought maybe this was something like Candy Boy, two super-close sisters going through life together, but it wasn't really that either. With that said, I didn't like Daniel very much, and he didn't make me want to root for gwen.

On the upside, I definitely wan
K
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute book to read

I was taken in really quick, the relationship between the two sisters was so believable I felt apart of their lives. This story was about the journey it took to find freedom with in their own lives and truly being themselves. The Author did a great job developing each sister and the many other characters. There was some room for growth in Rachel's life. Not sure her taking Anne back so fast was smart, but I understand it happens alot in life. But somehow I think this book
Joan
The storyline is fine - I liked both Gwen and Rachel, but the writing is clunky, with stilted dialogue and incredibly irritating 'links' to pictures etc.

The whole point of a fiction book is to show you 'in words' what the author wants you to see, not have to click a link to see a picture of some Aerial Lift Bridge. There were several of these links ( in bright blue) and I found it very distracting.

I didnt feel 'engaged' in the story - there were huge time hops (I think) and missing scenes and i
Athena
Feb 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could not get into this.

First off, the story does have some good moments and interesting characters. Personally I found it boring, and not as compelling as I hoped it would be. But like I said there were some good moments, it just did not seem to have the smooth plot lines that I was hoping for, and I found some characters to be uninteresting. And a lot of the reminiscing just got kind of tiresome after a while.
Corina Gutierrez
Jun 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not MY fave

I just couldn't get into this. I found myself having to go back and re-read parts because I'd just stop paying attention. I couldn't even get myself to finish the book. What a shame.
Kim F
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely entertaining, captivating, and interesting sexy read. Wonderfully written with strong characters. I want to read more from this author.
stefany nikolaus
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it

I liked it. I liked that it was a Minnesota author. I could relate to where it took place. Duluth.
kt
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
It was not my favorite.
Holly
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s not my Favorite

This book was just ok. I found Gwen and Rachel a bit annoying but liked Todd’s character got some laughs.
Lorraine
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it I connected with it
Nicola
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
I'm not really sure why I persisted with this book. Nothing really grabbed me at all the writing was boring. The characters were dull and the storyline predictable. In short - it's not my favorite.
Lauren
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gwen’s life is in shambles except for her business as The Organizer, Rachel is in the process of breaking up with her girlfriend, and they have to help their parents move again. It follows that Gwen has always harbored dreams that her parents weren’t actually her parents and she would find a better more supportive family elsewhere. These dreams seem to be realized when she finds a set of pictures of a younger version of her mother that linked to a painter, Daniel Gregory, she of course leaps at ...more
Anubha
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 out of 5

this book has a nice blend of several emotions.
It was a delightful read with a great mix of diverse characters.

I really liked the sisters and their bonding is awesome. Both are like two ends of same coin who are incomplete without each other. Gwenn is the responsible one, always making everybody happy, never wanting to hurt others and organizing other people's life even though her own life is a mess; and Rachel is a happy go lucky girl who never misses to have fun, knows how to part
  • Year of the Monsoon
  • To Have Loved & Lost (Rosemont Duology, #1)
  • Fresh Tracks
  • Handle With Care (Special Delivery, #3)
  • The Chosen One (The Chosen One, #1)
  • Where Are You
  • Rulebreaker
  • Charlie, Rentboy (Working Boys #1)
  • Sasha (Sasha, #1)
  • Savage (Sweet Sports, #1)
  • Iris in Bloom (Take a Chance #2)
  • Remember Me (Collective, #2)
  • How Still My Love
  • My Big Fat Southern Gay Wedding (A Southern Thing #3)
  • Karaoke Queen
  • Game Time (Girls of Summer, #2)
  • Don't Bang the Barista!
  • Circling Back
2015 and 2016 IPPY Award Winner.
2016 National Indie Excellence Awards Finalist.
Rue is an award-winning fiction author and in her limited spare time, she reads voraciously. Her love of the written word led to the pursuit of a B.A. in Journalism from Pepperdine University in California and a lifelong passion for writing. Her respect for indigenous cultures, oral traditions, and the seasonal magick o

Lake Effect (3 books)
  • My Favorite Second Chance (The Lake Effect Series #2)
  • Finally My Favorite (Lake Effect #3)