Start by marking “Lamb to the Slaughter (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lamb to the Slaughter (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #1)

Lamb to the Slaughter

(Serenity's Plain Secrets #1)

"A well-crafted tale of murder begotten by the collision of two incompatible worlds."-Kirkus Reviews

The death of a teenage Amish girl in a cornfield looks like an accident, but sheriff Serenity Adams suspects foul play. To solve the murder, she must investigate the nearby Amish community with the help of a man who was shunned years ago.

Lamb to the Slaughter is a story abo
Published March 14th 2014 by Karen Ann Hopkins (first published March 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Lamb to the Slaughter, please sign up.

Sharon
Did not finish. I didn't like the main character ... at all. If you want to read books about an Amish community, where the sheriff or chief of police is not Amish - don't waste your time on this book and go directly to the Kate Burkholder series by Linda Castillo. Lamb to the Slaughter doesn't come close to any of the Kate Burkholder books. My opinion ... don't waste your time.
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
"The Blood Rock Amish Community was anything but picturesque under it's pretty facade."

Hopkins woven a story that instantly pulls you in to the story and will keep you turning the pages!

The gripping story is about Serenity, the new sheriff in town. And although she's new, she already had a dead girl on her plate and as she was trying to solve the case, she was surprise by the nonchalant reaction of the Amish community since the dead girl was one of their own.

Serenity is the definition of badass
Ena
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing

ENA'S REVIEW
I also received a copy of this book via Kismet in exchange for my honest opinion & review.
So what can I say about the book, I did initially dislike how the book jumped from the "now" with Serenity to the "past" with Naomi but once you get into the book it soon falls into a rhythm and I ended up not wanting to put it down. I soon became attached to the characters and what was happening to each of them. I enjoyed Karen Ann Hopkins way of writing and also I enjoy learning about the
Tammie
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, mystery, series

Lamb to the Slaughter is a story about the intertwining lives of three unlikely people in an Indiana Amish Community and the devastating results when a rebellious teenage girl is found shot to death in a corn field during the harvest.

I'm a sucker for an Amish
☕️Kimberly
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lamb to the Slaughter by Karen Ann Hopkins offers readers a view into the small town of Blood Rock, Indiana that boarders and interacts with a local Amish Community. Hopkins delivers a murder mystery that has the new local sheriff navigating the two communities to catch a killer. Mini Review: fascinating whodunit with a side dish of romance

5 reasons to grab a cup of coffee & curl up with Lamb to the Slaughter:

You like small town settings and are curious about the Amish community. Hopkins doe
TheKrazySheep
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't like the back and forth pov between the current characters and I found Daniel especially annoying. The "romantic" scenes were written in the terms of bad romance novel tropes.

Not sure I buy that the Amish are much like they're portrayed in the novel, seemed like the majority of the Amish adult women were either abusive or had a mental illness, or both. The teenagers weren't much better. The Amish men were portrayed as stoic, close minded, and a bizarre combination of ignorant to the be
Lucy
Sep 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Wow.
Just bad in so many ways.
Knew the killer from the first few chapters, poorly disguised animus toward the Amish community, main character was not at all likable.

This was free through BookBub

Linda
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: amish
The story was all right, but the book is very, very negative towards the Amish, unfairly so. The dialogue with Amish folks was not researched well, and was out of character. If you want a good Amish mystery, skip the Serenity series and try Linda Castillo's Kate Burkholder series.

Opal Dickerson
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
THANK YOU for the "sneak peek" of "Lamb to Slaughter"! Love the title as well, the name says it all! This story truely BLEW ME AWAY"! Compelling and unpredictable from beginning to end. Brilliant and a MUST re-read for me! "Some Amish communities aren't so cozy"! How true that is and you, Karen have opened us up to "thought" on this with this book and your other works. Looking forward to more of your great books!
Carey
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Never much of a mystery reader I was reluctant to read it but let me tell you I want to read more of them! Karen puts so much more into the story besides mystery. The characters of Serenity and Daniel have such depth you want to know their whole story. That's why I'm hoping this to will be a series just like Temptation.
What happens to Serenity, Daniel and the rest of Blood Rock, Indiana? I need to know!
Dee Cash
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it
A mixture of mystery and sadness

Lamb to the Slaughter is a novel about an Amish community in Indiana. To me it seemed to either be written by an Amish person or someone who was attempting to sound Amish. I thought it was a sad book and a little odd. It held my interest but I did not like the ending or lack thereof.
Shelley Lamle
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I really wish Goodreads had a .5 rating system. This is more a 3.5, but not really a 4. I really enjoy books about the Amish. It's where I go when I want to relax and feel some peace. This book, however, is more about the "dark" side of the Amish. While I still enjoyed it, it wasn't exactly peaceful. Having said that, it was still a good read.
Noelle
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Karen Ann Hopkin's Temptation series and I was so excited when I saw this book was also written by her. Romance is usually my favorite genre to read but sometimes I like a good murder mystery and this one did not disappoint. I love the way she writes and her books are seriously addicting.

There were so many twists and turns. I'd like to think I'm good at figuring out who the bad guy is but I just could not figure it out! The author had me guessing the entire time. You think yo
Sandra "Jeanz"
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Please tell me this is the start of a new brilliant series!!

INITIAL THOUGHTS
Looking forward to this one with mixed feelings, trepidation and a little anxiety, as I truly loved the Temptation Series, will I love this too?"

MY REVIEW
I received a ARC of this one from the Author via Kismet Book Tours in exchange for my honest opinion and review.
The cover shows a pretty bleak sky over a large cornfield, which is an important place within the book as that is where Naomi Beiler's body is found. I love t
Lauren
SERIOUSLY?!?! that's the way it ends?? lol... I love a nice cliffhanger/lead on to the next book :)
***
I could not even wait for this release when I seen it pop up on Goodreads so when I seen that Kismet was hosting a book tour, I immediately jumped at the chance to participate. After reading Karen Ann Hopkins’ Temptation series I was completely hooked on her writing and stories so I was itching to dive into this as soon as I received it.

Lamb to the Slaughter is told in three alternating points o
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER was a really good book that had me eagerly reading to seek out the killer of the young Amish girl. I pretty much had the murderer pegged a couple chapters in but it was still interesting to see all the information the Sheriff and Daniel dug up in the meantime. I always enjoy playing detective with a good murder mystery.

Now I will honestly say I did not like the Sheriff. How Serenity has been elected Sheriff is beyond me. There were times I wondered about her. At the end of
Deitre
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Then came Karen Ann Hopkins, with her beautiful and engaging Temptation series, that kept me reading all night. Her sincere personality and love for her fans and book followers is shown through her Facebook and Twitter posts. She allows her readers to enter her life; horseback riding, raising animals, and the world of Amish living. Readers wait patiently for the next book to be published, we are showered with pictures that remind us of why she loves the Amish so much. It’s the simple life that k ...more
Unabridged Bookshelf
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
Murder, secrets and a Sheriff determined to prove herself makes Lamb to the Slaughter a must read for any mystery fan. The key to any mystery novel is to keep the reader guessing until very end, especially in a whodunit type of mystery. Karen Ann Hopkins has delivered this element perfectly, and I thoroughly enjoyed all the different twists and turns throughout the novel. I also have to say that I also enjoyed the romantic elements of the story. Seriously, one of the best murder mystery novels I ...more
Krissy P (Kris)
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

I loved this book. It's a great start to what I think will be a fantastic mystery/thriller/romance series. There are a few editing issues for those of you that are bothered by that, but it does not take away from how awesome the story is.

Serenity Adams, a tough, beautiful but abrasive police woman moves back to her home town and is the newly elected Sheriff. She is harassed almost daily by the nuttier than squirrel shit, ex-Sheriff when she begins investigating the suspicious death of
Beth  (YA Books Central)
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tiffany's Reviews:

I have been loving me some Amish young love!!! This book was more from the "Englishmen" point of view but still just has good! There is a new sheriff in town and it is a woman!! Serenity returns to her hometown to serve the people of her county as the sheriff. Serenity takes her job very seriously and will not put up with the "good old boy" way of handling crime. One of the first things Serenity has to investigate is the death of a young Amish girl. It looks like a hunting acci
G.K. Bradford
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Lamb to the Slaughter is such a fun read! It keeps you guessing at every turn, and I couldn't stop flipping the pages. There are several twists that surprised me, and I'm usually really good at figuring out "who done it." Karen Ann Hopkins is a very talented author, and I'm definitely a big fan! I can't wait to see what she comes up with next!
Judy Churchill
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I happened upon this book accidentally - Amazon marketing. It was surprisingly good. I liked the characters which is always a good start. These mysteries involve the Amish community which is notorious for solving its own problems. We watch Serenity gain some credibility with the group as she is the new sheriff. The story is exciting and kept me reading.
Candy Harris
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My daughter won this kindle book for me.I loved this book.I learned so much about the Amish ways, it was so interesting.The Sheriff of this small Indiana town was a strong independent women just trying to do her job.Everyone in town knew her because she had grown up there.What a great mystery/romance,a must read.
Renee Norris
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This is another awesome book by Karen Ann Hopkins!!! I love the characters and the story! Karen kept my interest throughout the whole book. I really enjoy it alternating through each character's viewpoint. I sincerely hope there's gonna be a sequel!!!!
Angela Adkins fetters
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Must Read : ) !!!
Clarice Gleckler
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to read this!!! Karen never disappoints!
Literary  Chanteuse
Jan 07, 2015 marked it as mystery-suspense  ·  review of another edition
For a complete star rating and review visit InD'tale magazine online, Mar 2015 issue. http://www.indtale.com/reviews/myster...
Debbie
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
It was free. Enough said.
April
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book starts out with a bang, as an Amish girl runs through a cornfield, and gets shot in the back with a 12-gauge shotgun. Newly-appointed sheriff Serenity Adams discovers the body, believing that her death is more than just a hunting accident. She ventures into the Amish community to investigate further, after being warned that the Amish authorities may not be keen to cooperation, yet she refuses to treat them differently than any other citizen.

Stories involving the Amish are always intrig
Chris
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I have very mixed feelings about this book. The first thing I must mention is it needed an incredible amount of editing. It was very disconcerting to have so many errors. I enjoyed the setting, the small town Amish/Englisher countryside of Indiana being very similar to where I live in Pennsylvania. Character development is where I'm scratching my head the most. The story is told from the point of view of the three main characters - one being the female Sheriff, Serenity Adams, the third being he ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Beyond The Darkness (The Shadow Demons Saga, #9)
  • Calder Witch Box Set (Paranormal Vampire Romance): Books 1-4
  • Forest Gate
  • Run To You Part II: Second Glance
  • The Silver Locket
  • Order of Darkness Volumes I-III: Changeling; Stormbringers; Fools' Gold
  • Name and Number
  • Talk to Me (Protector, #1)
  • Plain Killing (An Amish Mystery #2)
  • Roseflower Creek
  • Return to Grace (Home Valley, #2)
  • Savage Moon (DI Spicer Book 3)
  • Hometown Star (Hometown Alaska Men, #1)
  • Sleepy Hollow: Rise Headless and Ride (Jason Crane, #1)
  • Corridor Man
  • Rule (Roam, #5)
  • The Miting
  • Dead Reckoning
You can visit Karen Ann Hopkins at her website: www.karenannhopkins.com.

"I loved joining Rose and Noah during their journey in the Temptation series by Karen Hopkins."-Katie McGarry, acclaimed YA author

Karen Ann Hopkins resides in northern Kentucky with her family on a farm that boasts a menagerie of horses, goats, peacocks, chickens, ducks, rabbits, dogs, and cats. Karen’s main job is home schoo

Serenity's Plain Secrets (6 books)
  • Whispers from the Dead (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #2)
  • Secrets in the Grave (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #3)
  • Hidden in Plain Sight (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #4)
  • Paper Roses (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #5)
  • Evil in My Town (Serenity's Plain Secrets Book 6)
“Ordnung standards. Even now, he had to keep brushing” 0 likes