Start by marking “Apple and Rain” as Want to Read:

Apple and Rain

When Apple's mother returns after eleven years away, Apple feels whole again. But just like the stormy Christmas Eve when she left, her mother's homecoming is bittersweet. It's only when Apple meets someone more lost than she is that she begins to see things as they really are.

A story about sad endings.
A story about happy beginnings.
A story to make you realise who is speci
Published 2015 by Bloomsbury Publishing (first published September 1st 2014)

Start your review of Apple and Rain
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

I’ve read all of Sarah Crossan’s novels now, and in my opinion, Apple and Rain is her best work so far. This book is filled with emotions, and is bound to make anyone feel. A tale of coming of age, learning what real love is and different forms of love, Apple and Rain transcended my high expectations.

On Christmas Eve eleven years ago, Apple’s mother left Apple. Apple has always hoped that one day, she would come back to save her from her overbearing Nan that
C.G. Drews
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this as a surprise ARC from Bloomsbury...with tissues. Which is mildly concerning. Will I be reduced to a snivelling mess at the end? Will I sob my way through a packet of tissues asking why I was born to feel things and why must these books destroy my delicate emotions?
Well, I didn't cry at all, actually. But this is by far the best ARC package I have ever received.

Don't get me wrong: this book ignited all sorts of emotions inside me! I am not a heartless frog, I promise. I just did
Naban
This is a beautiful story about family, love, the bitter sweet things life has to offer and the value of hope.

This being my first Sarah Crossan novel, I didn't have many ideas as to what to expect. However, this one time, I let my expectations reach a higher peak, and needless to say, Apple and Rain did not disappoint.

I think we're all familiar with the concept that beauty is simplicity, and I certainly think that this book right here, fits the description perfectly. Apple and Rain does not have
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence - check it out for more reviews!

This is the first YA book that has literally taken me back to school – and not in a good way.

Reading Apple & Rain feels like you’re back in English class again. From the class discussions, to the method of teaching, to their homework and what Apple writes as drafts, it’s all there. Yes I enjoyed the English subject back in the day – but I don’t want to relive it, much less read about it and in this much detail. I couldn’t i
Hizatul Akmah
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
it was so honestly written and i could relate to almost every part of the story (i cried tbh)
Hannah
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who liked Jacqueline Wilson
Recommended to Hannah by: Jaden(hiatus)⚡
Full review can be found here

Actual Rating: 2.4 stars.

I'm not usually one to go in for decimalised rating, but I don't think it was as bad as two stars or as good as 3.

Towards the middle of the book, I came up with this:
A

And

Really
Astonishingly,
Incontestably
Not as good as it could be.

I'll stick to the second half of this because as I was reading it it seemed that Crossan had spent so much time trying to narrate like a 13 year old would, that she forgot to t
Brenda Waworga
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was boring AF 🙃🙃😕😕

Mostly because the main character is a 13 years old teenage brat and i hate being inside her head

The Idea about "Parent" who abandoned their kids and being irresponsible story is unique but the story mostly just follow Apple and her daily life esp her school life (homeworks, class, assignments, friends ect ect) yes it was very realistic but its also boring

Thankgoodness this book is short and the last 50 pages were pretty good 😑 so it felt bearable to finish it

This is my 1s
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This is no way impacted in my view.

Apple and Rain tells the story of Apple, a 13 year old who wishes her mother would return home after more than ten years. When she finally does, it is not without its own problems, and Apple finally understands that you have to be careful what you wish for.

Apple and Rain was such an unexpected read. Before diving into the book, I was a bit apprehensive, as I wasn't sure what I would think. I am
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

A poignant and touching story, Apple and Rain is a story about family, poetry, wishes and growing up.

Apple is thirteen and has lived with her grandmother since her mother left one Christmas Eve when she was two. Her Nan is loving but strict and Apple can't help but imagine that her mother will one day return and that her life with her will be all she has ever wished for. When Annie does suddenly reappear on a grey afternoon, she offers Apple her hearts desire, a home of their own, and with barel
Megan Daws
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars
I’m not sure why this book was on my to-read list. On getting it out of the library, I had no memory of the premise. I think perhaps I just liked the cover (I know, I’m terrible, but it’s so pretty).
Apple and Rain is shelved as YA but, not long into it, I discovered that the main character is 13. This worried me cause I’m 20 and I don’t really want to read books aimed at 13 year olds.
I’m definitely glad I stuck with it.
Although perhaps the intended target audience is younger than me, it’s
Rhea Dsouza
Even though this book was the complete opposite of what I thought it would be when I picked it up—I found myself completely unsurprised. I thought Apple and Rain was a YA Romance about a girl with abandonment issues, thanks to her mother. Apparently, the physical ARCs came with tissues. And tissues from the publisher can totally mean sad, broken girl with mommy issues, who meets an even sadder boy/girl with double the mommy issues, right?

The story is quite simple. Appolinia Apostopoulou (Apple),
Jinghay (these.blank.pages)
This is probably my favourite Sarah Crossan novel that I've read so far.
Completely Melanie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I would give this book a 3.5 if I could. I enjoyed it. In a way it is a very sad story, but at the same time it is also a happy happy and heartwarming story. So our main character is a 13 year old girl named Apple. When Apple was 3 years old, her mother left her with her grandmother so that she could go to America to pursue her dream of becoming an actress. Even though she was only 3 when it happened, Apple never forgot that day and year after year she yearned to have her mother back. Then after ...more
Chloe
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A simplistic, yet memorable tale of a young girl trying to piece her family back together with extra pieces.

The author did an excellent job at highlighting the difficulties that can occur in different family relationships and scenarios. In my opinion, this is an important book that shouldn’t be passed up.
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brappleandrain
Finished reading: March 29th 2016
Rating 3qqq

“Poetry can teach us about ourselves. It can comfort us when we are in despair. It can bring joy. But not only that...it can open us up. It can make our worlds bigger and brighter and clearer. It can *transform* us.”

(view spoiler)
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This review was originally published on Book Blog Bird

Apple And Rain is the story of Appolonia ‘Apple’ Apostolopolou, a thirteen year old girl who has lived with her nan ever since her mum walked out on them when Apple was three. Apple’s nan is fairly strict, she’s got a hopeless crush on an older boy at school and her best friend is starting to hang out with other people, and Apple is convinced that if her mum was still around, everything would be much better.

The story itself is bittersweet and
Tammie
Apple and Rain is not the type of book I would normally pick up, simply because it's contemporary YA and I find a lot of those tend to be all about teen angst and high school, but one of my daughters read this and loved it and she asked me to read it, so I did.

This is about a girl named Apple whose mother left when she was very young and doesn't come back for 11 years. Pretty much from the beginning of this book I was angry at Apple's mother and also her father (who has been in her life, but ne
- m
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I didn't expect this book to be that good. I loved how it was told in the perspective of a 13 year-old and how realistic the whole situation was. This book focused mainly on family, relationships and emotions, in my opinion. I never regretted reading it.
Rebecca McNutt
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
I liked Apple and Rain but I didn't find it very original. It seemed to me to be just another romance/family drama.
Anushka Shinde
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think that Apple and Rain was a great book and a complete page turner, it was sad at times but it all ended well. I look forward to reading more of Sarah Crossan's books.
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Bloomsbury Australia for review.

I read Apple and Rain in one sitting. It was incredibly addictive, and it drew me in from the first sentence.

I must admit that I was expecting this book to be about a teenage girl going through a tough time who finds a boy who is also going through a tough time and then they bond and fall in love.

If you think this is what the story of Apple and Rain is, you are mistaken. I most definitely was.

Apple and Rain is the story of a th
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
When a review copy arrives with included tissues, you know you're in for an emotional read and Apple and Rain didn't disappoint. Apple is an intelligent young lady, but she's never been able to overcome her mother leaving. Although she loves her grandmother dearly, she so desperately pines for a relationship with the woman who left and never looked back. It was only then did I realise how incredibly young Apple is emotionally, and that is also reflected in
Bryony
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This review was originally posted on my blog, Daring Damsels.

Apple and Rain wasn’t at all what I expected. Though, to be fair, I’m not exactly sure what I was expecting. All I know is, it wasn’t what I got. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, however.

Our protagonist is Apple (short for Apollinia Apostolopoulou – what an awesome name?!): a 13-year-old girl who has been raised by her grandmother ever since her mother took
- ̗̀ bibliophile ̖́-
‘Poetry can teach us about ourselves. It can comfort us when we are in despair. It can bring joy. It can open us up. It can make our lives bigger and brighter and clearer. It can transform us.’

This story was remarkably written, every sentence indescribably moving to the reader. The main character Apple enjoyed poetry and writing. She was not very popular in school and lacked confidence. When she is reunited with her mother who disappeared for eleven years everything changes. With the help of he
Ishi Bhanot
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Apple
A bit lonely and a bit scared
She's a dreamer who plays with words
Plays the clarinet and pure of heart
Possesive like me
Loves a broken fence and a girl with red coils for curls
Strong and hopeful
She's loved by me

Rain
The magical sea she tries to get in
Full of love for family
She thinks love poetry is silly
A strong girl
She can't give words to what she feels all the time
She is the only Rain I love

Apple and Rain
A story of love and heartbreak
Which broke my heart but healed it too
Lisa
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much! I think I found a new favorite author!
Apple was great, so was Rain and Nana and I really want a sequel set a few years after this one ends. I want to know how everything works out and if Jenny is still a big deal.

GAAAAH I NEED TO READ MORE BY SARAH CROSSAN!
Megan Slade
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
quirky... but enjoyable.
Rhi
Yep.
I get why it's Carnegie short listed.
Lovely.
Will write real review soon.
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
I liked the title.
I empathized with the blurb.
I read a few pages, and I didn't want to read more.
But I read on, God, I'm glad I did.

Realistic fiction, a break from fantasy!
This story is my life manifest, in a twisted away. Sorta. Maybe not. I'd like to think it that way though.
Let me begin with the rating, initially I was certain that it will not take more than 3 stars, what with the simple writing or the thirteen year old POV and self observation... But damn, I'm giving it a five. Just because
Lois (thecarrotstories)
So beautiful and touching, I couldn’t stop reading.

Especially when it touches on topics related to family, I’m a complete sucker. Not that I enjoy reading about family problems and issues, but when those suffering from broken families come out more triumphant than others, I rejoice! I mean, there’s so much to learn from these stories that sometimes make our own problems seem petty.

This book talks about love in a family. I really admire Apple for taking such good care of Rain. She was definitely

• Dandelion Clocks
  • What Momma Left Me
  • Millicent Min, Girl Genius
  • Tõde või tegu. Stella
  • Tõde(Tõde või tegu 3.osa)
  • Missing Me (Girl, Missing, #3)
  • Me Mam. Me Dad. Me.
  • Boy in the Tower
  • As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President!
  • Lost
  • Lying About Last Summer
  • Tüdrukune
  • She Is Not Invisible
  • Fire Colour One
  • What's a Girl Gotta Do? (The Spinster Club, #3)
  • Roosi märgi all
  • The Moonlight Dreamers
  • Twenty Questions for Gloria
Sarah Crossan is Irish. She graduated with a degree in Philosophy and Literature before training as an English and Drama teacher at Cambridge University and worked to promote creative writing in schools before leaving teaching to write full time.

She completed her Masters in Creative Writing at the University of Warwick in 2003 and in 2010 received an Edward Albee Fellowship for writing.

She curren