Start by marking “Twisted Fate” as Want to Read:
Twisted Fate

Twisted Fate

When Alyson meets Graham Copeland, the new boy next door, she instantly feels like he’s a kindred spirit—shy and awkward like her, someone who has trouble making friends. It’s impossible to resist having a crush on him.

As usual, her sister, Sydney, sees things differently. In Sydney's mind, Graham's odd personality and secretive past scream psychopath, not sweetheart. Her
Published January 20th 2015 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Twisted Fate, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Aliza London I'll try to answer this as best as I can, but understand that this book is meant to be confusing and enigmatic in the end.

And this goes out to all…more

And this goes out to all those reading this answer before reading the book- STOP. This is a spoiler-filled answer and it will ruin the book for you.

They are both the same person. There's no doubt about it. However, while this should work in theory, the book is written in a manner that makes this impossible. There are many scenes, in fact, the whole book, where Syd and Ally have different descriptions, are talking to each other, and in different places at the same time that make it impossible for them to be the same person. You can say that they are both parts of her personality, but when they talk about each other, they don't say it in a way that implies that they are sisters; they make it so. Unlike other books that do things like this, like "We Were Liars" and "The Kiss of Deception", where they trick you by implying something that they never say, this book doesn't. Actually, Graham was the only one that actually alerted me to the possibility that they may be the same person.

In the end, it is my understanding that Allyson Sydney Tate(the one person) should have died after she dives in to save Graham after Syd hits him in the face. However, later, when the police chief describes the wetness in Graham's room, that is meant to be an unsolved mystery.

Of course, this is pure speculation on my part, but I could not find a rational explanation for the scenes that make it impossible for them to be the same person. Unless she had Multiple Personality Disorder or something else where she had an alternate personality that she thought was her sister, I don't know. However, this book is meant to be confusing and I suggest you just live with the confusion.

I know I haven't answered your question entirely, but I hope I helped. In case you're curious, my full review of this book can be found on musingsandbooks.wordpress.com.

P.S. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe either Allyson or Sydney is just an alternate personality or imaginary friend that Tate created. I still don't see how it works though.(less)
Alex
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Twisted Fate
Emily May
Sep 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary, 2015, arc
Twisted Fate tried to be a lot of things: clever, twisty, creepy, interesting... and it failed on all of those. I was so close to putting this book down at about 25% in but I kept reading just to make sure I was right about the big "mystery". I was. Could've spared myself 200 pages of boredom.

Failure #1 - The Characters
The characters in this book never move beyond cliches. We first have Allyson, who is a "good girl", likes to bake muffins, has a sparkling personality (read: is dull as dishwater)
Sierra
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
I'm not really sure how I feel about this book. I had decent expectations for this book and sadly, it just didn't mean it. I found it slightly boring and slightly confusing at some points.
Kassidy
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm very confused about my thoughts on this book..
It held my attention and I like the twists, but it left me confused. While it was a fun time reading, it didn't blow me away.
Rayne
Twisted Fate is, in all likelihood, one of the most poorly written novels I've ever read and definitely the most pathetic attempt at a YA psychological thriller I've ever had the misfortune of reading. The writing was atrocious, there was no point to the 1 billion different POVs in the novel, there was really no story, certainly no mystery for it was predictable as hell, and to call this novel the We Were Liars of 2015 is an insult to We Were Liars and the entire genre.

It sounds harsh, I know,
Lindsay Cummings
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
As someone who doesn't read much contemp--I wasn't sure what I thought, going into TWISTED FATE. But I blew through this book, and read it in only a day. I love a good mystery, and I love a book with a twist ending. TWISTED FATE gave me both.

I thought this book was well done, despite some negative reviews going around. The characters were strange--especially the sisters, Ally and Syd (also known as Tate, which sometimes confused me, but now I understand why!), but they were different enough to
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog!

I was going to give this a 3.5 Stars... but.... I think that's tooo generous.

I don't even know where to begin...

Okay, I can understand what the author was trying to get at, and I'll admit it definitely had me hooked at first, but it was very poorly written. It left me confused, really, really confused... I feel like it wasn't planned out at all, so many things did not connect, and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I just don't even know.

This book has so much potential but was executed
Jen Ryland
This really wasn't what I expected. I went into this fearing the dreaded sibling love triangle and hoping for a dark, sexy romantic thriller, but got a really confusing story from at least 9 different points of view about the events leading up to a tragedy.

Except for the work of Jodi Picoult, I'm not a big fan of the technique of using multiple first person POVs to tell a story. In this book, there were 8-10 of them: Allyson, Sydney, Graham, a police chief, Kim, Amanda, another police chief,
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I received from the publisher via Edelweiss.

Sweet daisy maisy, what is this book? It’s so weird I had to use the made-up Southern euphemism I’m unusually fond of just to ask myself what the hell is wrong with this book. On the surface, it sounds like a tale of the new boy in town, his questionable past, and the two sisters who have very complicated relationships with him as told through the eyes of Sydney. Then you start reading and
Michelle Wrona
*4.5 star rating*

*A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you so much!*

And just like that, my experience of reading this gorgeous novel came to an end. I'm sitting here, 10 minutes after finishing the book, thanking and praising the book lords for granting me such a blessed journey with this book. My heart is still racing and I am unable to stop shaking.

"Then she told me the worst part. Every night she went over there and he made another film of
Debbie Narh
1.5/ Messed Up Clouds

The only way to describe this book is with a saying my friend, James says about certain art--It's a shitty painting with a really nice frame.

The idea for this book is really cool. It's all mysterious and enticing, however the actual work, is all over the place. There's insta-love and boring characters that literally have no lives except to hang out with Graham or talk about him. There are sisters that, honest to god, only compare each other and point out how different they
Jooke
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
3.5*

WTF!!! what a twisted end! I can't really seem to get my mind wrapped around it.
For the most part of the book you're wondering: "How can someone set up an online platform that basically shares random peoples personal information a second time and still don't realize the risks and consequences?" and "What drama happened before Graham moved next door to Ally and Sydney". Once that part was revealed everything happend so fast I struggled to keep up. The end just blew up in my face and I felt
Kristy (Book Nerd Reviews)
Twisted Fate alludes to a suspenseful, dark and twisted story with its comparisons to We Were Liars and mentions of a secretive and possible psychopathic love interest, however this book fell well short of expectations it gave me.

Twisted Fate follows sisters Alyson and Sydney (otherwise known as Tate, yes this does get a little confusing). Alyson and Sydney are completely different – Alyson is the nice girl-next-door type, while Sydney is a straight A student who is on the rebellious side. They

Twisted Fate is a Young Adult contemporary mystery/suspense book.

The book has multiple narrators. But the main ones are sisters Sydney and Ally.

The book starts off with Sydney talking about something big that happened. Then we go back to the beginning when new troubled neighbor Graham moves in. I actually hate when a book tries to foreshadow events this way. Plus at the end of many of the chapters the author does similar foreshadowing. I just don't like that at all. If a mystery is going to
Jazmen
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Haunting, chilling, disturbing--all words I'd use to describe this book. It's the morning after and I'm still thinking about it. Still trying to find the right words to describe what I just read--because quite frankly it feels inexplicable.

I didn't really know what I was getting myself into with this one. I think I had a different idea in mind and it actually was for the best--because what I came out with was nothing short of stunning.

This book is one giant mind screw. You kind of have ideas of
Anna
Oct 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Rachel
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
2-3 Stars

So...the ARC copy I received seemed to need a LOT more revisions. Some of the POV's felt wrong, and I don't mean in the way they were meant to feel wrong. (There is an entire chapter that is supposed to be from one woman's POV in first person, & then it switches over to the girl's POV in third person! WTF?)

This has a twist ending that I guessed after some confusing chapters. There are LOTS of hints. While reading, I thought...no this can't be, and flipped back through the pages
Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)
My first thoughts after finishing this book was "I'm So Confused", the big twist at the end wasn't really a surprise, I'd guessed it very early on in the story, what I don't understand keeping in mind the big reveal was how quite a few things were even possible, thinking about it after I'd finished reading left me bewildered to say the least.

This was such a great concept for a story it just wasn't executed well enough for me to be able to overcome the problems I had while reading this book.

I
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Sisters Ally and Sydney don't have much in common; in fact, they are opposites in every way except when it comes to their new neighbor, Graham Copeland. They are both interested in him, but for different reasons. Ally has a crush on Graham and wants to get to know him better, but Sydney doesn't like the bad vibe she gets from him. She doesn't trust him, but is also intrigued by him as well. Graham is hiding many secrets and is hoping to start fresh in this new town. He also is obsessed with his ...more
Crystal | decorating.reader
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
True rating: 3.5

I’m quite the fan of any book that is pitched for fans of We Were Liars. I quite enjoyed that book and all the mystery that came with it. Like, We Were Liars, I think Twisted Fate is definitely going to be a hit or miss book for most people. It’s one of those books that you have to have a taste for being completely lost, needing to know answers, and then getting your brain scrambled. Which obviously…..I do. :P

Full review: http://bookiemoji.com/2015/01/book-re...
Kayla

Recently, I've been trying to catch up on my huge backlist of books. I would say I have a couple thousand print books, and several thousand on my Kindle that I own and haven't read. I've been listening to audiobooks quite a bit to catch up. Recently, I listened to Twisted Fate, which had been on my TBR for several years. After finishing, I'm still not entirely sure how I felt about it. I liked it, but also had quite a few problems with it.

There is one thing I really loved about Twisted
rebecca ɤ
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars actually.

Received as an arc from EpicReads. I went into this book with mild expectations and I am astounded at how much I enjoyed this novel. I thought this was going to be cliché boy next door novel but boy was I wrong.

Though I felt there was way too much POVS in here which confused me at times I was able to grasp the plot early on. I was not particularly in love with the writing style and felt "420" was wayy over used. As being a teenager myself I am pretty sure I rarely hear anyone
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
I received a free e-book copy for review purposes from the publishers via Edelweiss.

First Impressions: I think a 3.5 rating is more appropriate for Twisted Fate. Whilst it had me guessing at times, I managed to figure out the plot twist early on. Not a bad book, but I wouldn't put it on the same wavelength as We Were Liars as I think Lockhart managed the suspense and disbelief aspect better than Olson.

An interesting, but frustrating read.

Review: When Alyson meets Graham, she has an instant
Nathan Siegel
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it

The “We Were Liars” Of 2015
If you love guessing until the last page, E. Lockhart’s “We Were Liars”, sitting in shock after finishing the last page, and wanting to scream because it’s over, “Twisted Fate” is the book for you. For some, this type of book is the best, and for some it makes them angry and frustrated that they bothered to read the book at all. It’s hard to say much about “Twisted Fate” without spoiling anything, but it is the story of two Maine sisters who both encounter the new
Abbie
From the very beginning I swear on the life of my pet dog that I knew what the story was about. I mean, I'm a Psych major for Pete's sake. Dissociative Identity Disorder is one of my favorite Psychological disorders because the prospect of having multiple personalities seems very intriguing.

Anyway, I thought Graham was weird, but I also understood that he just wanted some attention. The ending was a bit of a shock but not enough to send me into a fit if rage. The writing style was all over the
Jo
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was never quite sure what was going on. The different POVs were confusing rather than illuminating. I feel like the book was all about the big reveal, and sacrificed pace and characterization. I also wasn't a big fan of the drug abuse portrayed. If you are looking for a good mystery with a great ending, I would recommend We Were Liars.
Magan
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5, I think.

That ending? Holy crap. I had suspicions at the end, but I just don't see how it ended the way that it did. I liked the mystery and figuring out what was going on, but the ending just feels like I'm suspended in mid-air after jumping out of an airplane.
Tiffany (About to Read)
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

Twisted Fate was even better than I thought it was going to be. If you like gothic literature, unreliable narrators, or characters with questionable sanity, you need to read this book!

The best part of this book is undoubtedly the characters. From the first two chapters it is clear that we can’t really trust what the sisters, Alyson and Sydney, tell us since they give two fairly different accounts of the same story. And of course, there is Graham who we know is a very troubled
Kathy Martin
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
TWISTED FATE was a compelling story that is almost impossible to talk about without spoiling it for readers. The main characters are all variously damaged. Ally and Sydney have both taken different paths to gain the attention of their neglectful parents. Ally is determined to be perfect and her mother's eager clone. Sydney has decided to be a troublemaker and drug-user to gain her parents' attention. Neither approach seems to be working as it would be hard to find more absent parents in ...more

Having just finished this book, the main thought running through my head is…

What the heck just happened??

Allyson and Sydney were quite different characters. Allyson was the typical ‘good girl’, whilst Sydney liked to skateboard and get in trouble. Allyson tried to help Sydney be more sociable, whilst Sydney was happier doing her own thing.
Graham on the other hand
pdbkwm
Sep 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
I get what the author was trying to do, but it was so obvious as to what was going on. Even if you were unsure, the hints provided were so heavy handed that it took me out of the story. When you add that with uneven writing and way too many point of views, then you don't gt a thrilling story that makes you second guess yourself. You just get a book that is a chore to get through.

Full review to come
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Three Truths and a Lie
  • The Devil You Know
  • This Dark Endeavor (The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, #1)
  • Beware the Wild (Beware the Wild, #1)
  • Shooter
  • Misadventures of a Rookie (Misadventures, #10)
  • Dead to You
  • The Last Boy and Girl in the World
  • You May Now Kill the Bride (Return to Fear Street, #1)
  • It's All Your Fault
  • Anathema (Causal Enchantment, #1)
  • Paper Fools (Hearts and Arrows #1)
  • The Fixes
  • Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass
  • No Ivy League
  • Sinner (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #4)
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • Something is Killing the Children #1 (Something is Killing the Children)
Norah Olson is a former journalist who covered criminal cases for a regional New York newspaper and received a prestigious fellowship for her work. She was educated in New England and lives in Manhattan. TWISTED FATE is her first novel for young adults.