Start by marking “The Muse of the Revolution: The Secret Pen of Mercy Otis Warren and the Founding of a Nation” as Want to Read:

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Praised by her mentor John Adams, Mercy Otis Warren was America's first woman playwright and female historian of the American Revolution. In this unprecedented biography, Nancy Rubin Stuart reveals how Warren's provocative writing made her an exception among the largely voiceless women of the eighteenth century.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published July 1st 2008 by Beacon Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Muse of the Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Muse of the Revolution

Barbara
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
I found this book interesting, but when I was finished I had no opinion as to whether or not Mercy Otis Warren was important. The main feeling I had was that she held her husband back from doing more to further the causes they both believed in. I would have liked to know the influence of her writings. To me the most interesting parts of the book dealt with her friendship with Abigail Adams, and the contrasts between the two women.
Well researched, well written, and for the most part the author was able to keep her own agenda out of the story.

This was a great look into the life one of the women who influenced the revolution.

Sister to James Otis and wife to James Warren. Close friend of John and Abigail Adams.
Mary
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting look into an overlooked, little known female protagonist in the time of the American Revolution. The three star rating is due to the excessive use of the writings of Mercy Otis Warren. Perhaps that was the purpose of book, to acquaint readers with her writing.
Luxa
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I think this biography is an interesting, well-written examination of an underrated woman's life, and is definitely worth checking out. One of my least favorite aspects, though, is how many quotes were used; I understand the desire to show off the prose of the subject, as Mercy Otis Warren was an incredibly eloquent woman, but it feels like every other paragraph is a long quote of hers, when it felt like the words should often have been coming from the author of the biography.

That, along with s
Lindsey Duncan
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An in-depth portrait of an obscure figure from the American Revolution, this book skillfully portrays Mercy Otis Warren both in her capacity as a political writer and as an exceptional woman of her time. Much care is taken to portray the life she lived around her famous works and illuminate her as a person. The book is liberally (but strategically) sprinkled with quotes from her letters, poems and plays, and also includes some quotes from reply correspondence.

This book is both informative and en
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very interesting. I enjoyed reading about a woman who was literate and outspoken for her time period. The most interesting parts of the book were her correspondence with influential people of the period especially John and Abigail Adams. Reading about daily life during the Revolution and formative years of our governement was enjoyable too. I don't see how she was the "muse" of the period nor how influential her and her husband were at the time. I do think she prevented h ...more
Anna
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is an outstanding, well-researched account of the life of Mercy Otis Warren. Not a page goes by without the author quoting from a personal diary or letter. Full of primary sources and detalied research, this book is not only a informational history of Warren's life, but also a fact-filled perspective of the lives of other founding fathers and their wives and the history of the American Revolution and its aftermath. This book is by far one of the most compelling biographies I have read.
Kristi
Sep 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a well-researched and written history of American Revolutionary Mercy Otis Warren, offering a woman's perspective, and influence on the Revolution, illuminated by her friendships with John Adams, Henry Knox, and others. Warren's life is further significant as an early American literary figure.
Bonnie
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was glad I read this book. I enjoyed learning more about Mercy Otis Warren. She was a fascinating woman and far ahead of her time in many ways. However, I was not enamoured with the writing style in the book and found that it ended very abruptly.
Elizabeth Desole
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
It's so nice to read about a woman of this time who did more than work behind the scenes. A thorough and for the most part entertaining history of a woman who more than deserves her name to be remembered along with male writers of the revolution
Phyllis
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting account of Mercy Otis Warren's influence through her satirical writings, and through her friendship with John and Abigail Adams. Warren's writings had a direct influence on the development of the Bill of Rights.
Vicky
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"And thus the last frail reed is broken"- Good read..
Kari
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Truly fascinating biography of a very underrated force in the Revolution. Research is impressive!
Marley
May 21, 2010 rated it liked it
This was very interesting. I love the history lesson and that she lived in Plymouth. But I wasn't dying to pick this up and read more. Still, a good read.
Regina
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Closer to 3.5 stars. Review coming soon.
Alex Bugaeff
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great blend of story telling and history. Stuart has a neutral take on this little-known woman of the founding period - no axes to grind.
Georgette
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story of Mercy Otis Warren who knew all the major players in the American Revolution and who wrote extensively about the revolution.
Sabrina
Apr 15, 2013
Jean
rated it did not like it
Apr 01, 2014
May 07, 2014
Meghann
Jan 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Nancy Rubin Stuart is an award-winning author and journalist who specializes in women, biography and social history.

A graduate of Tufts University with a B.A. in English and an M.A.T. from Brown University, Nancy holds an honorary Doctorate in Humane Letters from Mount Vernon College, now part of Georgetown University.

Nancy just won the 2009 Historic Winslow House Book Award on behalf of her lat
More about Nancy Rubin Stuart...