Start by marking “The Promise (Elvis Cole, #16; Joe Pike, #5; Scott James & Maggie, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Promise (Elvis Cole, #16; Joe Pike, #5; Scott James & Maggie, #2)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Promise

(Elvis Cole/Joe Pike #16)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  12,044 ratings  ·  1,215 reviews
Elvis Cole and Joe Pike are joined by Suspect heroes LAPD K-9 Officer Scott James and his German shepherd, Maggie, in the new heart-stopping thriller from #1 New York Times-bestselling author Robert Crais.

Loyalty, commitment, and the fight for justice have always driven Elvis Cole and Joe Pike. If they make a promise, they keep it. Even if it could get them killed.

When E
Published November 10th 2015 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about The Promise, please sign up.
Kaceey Start at the beginning. The Monkeys Raincoat. It features Elvis Cole but Joe Pike plays a part. His series stays that way for quite a few books. Joe…moreStart at the beginning. The Monkeys Raincoat. It features Elvis Cole but Joe Pike plays a part. His series stays that way for quite a few books. Joe Pike doesn't lakefront stage till half way through the series. Enjoy!!(less)

·  12,044 ratings  ·  1,215 reviews

Sandy
This book should come with a warning:
"If you're planning on getting anything done today, don't even THINK about cracking the cover"
I made the mistake of reading the first few pages and....well, let's just say we'll be ordering out for dinner tonight & wearing dirty clothes tomorrow. I finished the book in an afternoon, growling at anyone who dared to interrupt my time with Elvis Cole & Scott James. This is why I read, to get caught up by a story & transported into a world with compel
carol.
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another fine installment in the Crais series.

In this, Elvis takes a job looking for Amy Breslyn, a missing woman who has been withdrawn ever since her son was killed overseas. She and her friend, Meryl, both work for a company that manufacturers explosive material for use in weapons, and a large sum of money has disappeared with Amy. Elvis' first clue something is wrong is when he goes to investigate a home that where a writer friend lived and walks into a manhunt and a murder scene.

The plotting
James Thane
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
In this novel, Robert Crais's long-time series protagonist, Elvis Cole, teams up with Scott James and his K-9 partner, Maggie, who were first introduced in Suspect. A woman named Meryl Lawrence hires Elvis, swearing him to unusually tight secrecy. She says she's worried about a woman named Amy Breslyn, who's missing from the firm where they both work and which produces classified explosive materials for the government. $460,000 dollars is also missing from Breslyn's department.

Breslyn's son, Jac
Tucker Elliot
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a difficult book for me to review because Robert Crais is one of my favorite authors and Elvis and Pike are two of my favorite fictional characters. It’s been more than three years since the last Elvis/Pike novel—and maybe that’s why I feel so disappointed with The Promise. I expected a lot more from a book that was delayed several months—presumably for rewrites—and then hyped so much.

In fact, someone who has never read an Elvis/Pike novel might find this more entertaining/enjoyable than
Liz
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio

I was a big fan of Suspect, so I decided to take a chance on the audio version of The Promise. It features Scott and Maggie again, along with Elvis Cole and Joe Pike.

There are multiple storylines here, jumping from Mr. Rollins, a murderous middle man who believes in never leaving a witness alive, to Scott to Elvis, even to Maggie. The stories weave back and forth giving you multiple perspectives on the same event.

I was not as engaged with Elvis Cole. While I love the acerbic wit of Andy Carpen
Andrew Smith
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I continue my random meanderings through this series I was surprised to come across a title that included characters I knew from an earlier, stand alone, book from this author: police dog handler Scott James and his German Shepherd dog, Maggie. I’d really enjoyed Scott and Maggie’s previous adventure in Suspect (Scott James& Maggie #1), particularly the way in which Crais allowed the reader a glimpse inside the head of the dog – what he was thinking and why he undertook certain actions. ...more
Lo9man88
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Man, my heart went out to Maggie and Amy... A great book as always , i enjoyed the investigation, the characters and the plot, once i started it i just couldn't put it down til the end : good one Mr Crais.
D.B. Woodling
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it
When Crais opens the novel with a Los Angeles private investigator, a police officer and his K-9 partner Maggie, a convicted fugitive, a missing woman, and a sadistic killer, The Promise unarguably holds some. But, ultimately, as with the laws of physics, what goes up must come down. While the novel doesn’t spiral into obscurity, it does suffer a temporary dip into mediocrity, leaving its audience yearning for greater detail and ingenuity.

Animal lovers will no doubt enjoy the novel for Crais’ tr
Michael
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
L.A. private detective Elvis Cole gets a case to investigate the disappearance of a woman, Amy, who works for a defense contractor company. The story is that the missing woman is distraught over the loss of her son in the past to a terrorist bombing in Africa and may be seeking revenge against the Al Quaeda perpetrators with money she has embezzled from the company. His client wants Cole to intervene on her friend’s behalf without bringing the authorities down on her head. However, the first ste ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I was definitely intrigued when I saw that there was a book with Elvis Cole and Joe Pike with Scott James and his awesome dog Maggie. Glad I got this on Playaway because it's so much more immersive. The narrator does an incredible job. It's hard to do each character differently, but he did it. My favorite is how he does Pike's voice. It's a deep, succint growl that is so Pike.

It took a well-thought out plot to bring Cole and Pike together with Scott and Maggie, but Crais swung it. There's also
Monnie
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Elvis Cole Detective Agency is owned by Cole and partner Joe Pike (the secretive Pike doesn't want his name on the door). Cole, though, is the one who's hired to find a missing mother who has never recovered from the death of her son by a suicide bomber. The trail first leads to a seemingly run-of-the-mill house, but the inside tells a different story. As Cole knocks on the door, he hears helicopters and police car sirens - and a man inside runs out. Among the police ranks is LAPD officer Sc ...more
Ami
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it

Hmm ... in the beginning I was really, truly excited with the idea of Cole/Pike teaming up with Scott/Maggie (from Suspect, which I loved tremendously). Unfortunately, I couldn't really say that I loved the end result.

The thing is, it seems that Crais now likes to have multiple perspectives when it comes to Cole's books (I saw this with Taken as well). So not only we had Cole's (using 1st person), we also had chapters from Scott James, Maggie (yes, the dog has her own chapters), Jon St
Carolyn
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good read but lacked the spark and high tension of the earlier Elvis Cole novels. I still loved seeing PI Elvis in action with his hyper-cool buddies Joe Pike and Jon Stone. Perhaps because these guys are made for action and instead there was a lot of watching and waiting and following up leads before we got to the main plot. Bringing Scott James and his K9 dog Maggie into the mix should have added to the excitement but that seemed a bit flat as well.
The plot was a convoluted one wit
Eric
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Robert Crais has turned out another good crime thriller featuring Elvis Cole and Joe Pike in The Promise. Crais is one of those writers capable of churning out entertaining novels with recurring characters on a consistent basis. Along for the ride, Crais also brings back K-9 handler Scott James and secretive mercenary Jon Stone, both introduced in prior writings.

The plot of this novel involves Cole being hired by a demanding and pushy woman to find another woman who has disappeared under myster
John McDermott
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-him-danno
The Promise is Robert Crais 20th novel and it's a corker ! I didn't think the Elvis Cole books could be any better but with the introduction of Maggie the Alsatian 🐕,they just did. Perfect entertainment for crime fans and dog lovers everywhere. 4.5 🌟
Skip
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
Elvis Cole is hired to find a woman, who has disappeared and is up to no good. While tracking her down, he finds himself in the middle of a homicide, where there are explosives. So in comes Scott James and his trust K-9 dog, Maggie, who sees the killer escaping, and himself becomes a target. Homeland Security then intercedes in the LAPD investigation and Elvis is sure he is being lied to, but not sure by whom or about what so off he goes to get Joe Pike and Rob Stone to help. The woman's agenda ...more
Sandi
A quick, enjoyable read. I am a big fan of Elvis and Joe and thought that Scott and Maggie were integrated well throughout the story though would have preferred more Joe and less Jon Stone POV sections.
Cathy Ryan
Meryl Lawrence hires PI Elvis Cole to find missing chemical engineer Amy Breslyn, who has supposedly embezzled a large amount of money from Woodson Energy Solutions, the company she works for. They manufacture fuels for the Department of Defense, which gives their work a classified status. Arriving at the address he was given as a starting point, Elvis finds himself in the middle of a police operation. Elvis and Scott initially cross paths briefly as Scott is in pursuit of a fugitive who is even ...more
Debbie
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hooray!! Elvis is back!! This time, the author has taken his standalone characters, Scott James and Maggie, and paired them up with Elvis and Joe. I like it. I think they are a great addition to the team and I hope to see more of them. I just love Maggie and I'm not a dog lover. Although I do have Maggie's green tennis ball that I won at Murder by the Book on the author's last appearance!

This book was a messed up story. Everybody is faking everybody out - well, the bad guys are. It's up to Elvis
Kiersten Smith
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I was lucky enough to get an advance galley of this book from the publisher and read the book in one day..actually, in just a few hours.

Mr. Crais never disappoints. I have been a huge fan of his Elvis Cole and Joe Pike series, as well as the standalone novels. I was thrilled to hear that he was combining characters for this latest outing, especially with the inclusion of Scott James and Maggie, his popular and captivating duo from Suspect.

I will do my best not to include any spoilers. Elvis is h
Nicole D.
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Crais novels for years. They are always a solid "go to" when you just want something to take your mind off of life, and go on a detective adventure.

What I appreciate about Crais is that he doesn't have a formula like some other series writers (if I had to hear about Stephanie blowing up a car one more time, I was going to scream!) A lot has changed since I first started reading these novels, and the art of detection has evolved. I like the way Cole weaves in the current techno
Paul E. Morph
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I was a little disappointed that the Elvis & Joe/Scott & Maggie chemistry wasn't all that I'd hoped, this was still a strong entry in the series.

Also, I'd pretty much do anything short of clubbing a toddler to death with a piano stool for more Scott & Maggie action.

Oh, who am I kidding? Pass me that piano stool!
Tim
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found all in this novel suspenseful, entertaining with a solid ending. 10 of 10 stars
Nikki Chi
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Crais is the best American mystery writer in action right now. Period.
Manuel Antão
Dec 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
What Makes a Writer: "The Promise" by Robert Crais Published November 10th 2015

What is a writer? It is spending time devising plots in a basement with the help of a dictionary. And why do they do that? Why not do something else? What makes a writer? He could be doing something else, he could be picking mushrooms. But instead, he’s in his basement hammering the keyboard.  Why? Doesn’t he have anything better to do, or anything else he can do? It’s a way of passing time for him, but not for som
Danny Tyran
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's a very good novel. I liked the crossover (Scott & Maggie from Crais's previous novel are characters in this novel too). But Pike does and says almost nothing ; he could have been omitted without changing the story.

I gave it 4 stars, not 5, because Pike is my favorite Crais's character, I was a little disappointed that he wasn't doing more, and it's not Crais' best novel. I prefer to keep my 5 stars for my favorite books.

If you've never read a Crais's novel, begin with the very first on
Ann
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great cast: Elvis Cole, Joe Pike, Scott James, Maggie, and Jon Stone; a fast paced and explosive countdown to terror. Wisecracks, serious detective work, compassion, loyalty and an attempt to assuage the grief of loss. Sometimes even that attempt fails to comfort and drastic measures ensue.
Kristie
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great addition to the Scott James and Maggie series for me. I think I will have to go back and read the Elvis Cole & Joe Pike series now too. I certainly hope Robert Crais decides to continue with the Scott James and Maggie series. *hint, hint*
Kathy
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Action packed and very touching. I will be thinking about this one for awhile to come.
Dave
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it

The novels of Robert Crais are one of the reasons why I'm a crime fiction fan. That's because one Saturday afternoon I was walking through my library's mystery section looking for something to read and I came across “Stalking the Angel,” the second book in his series starring Los Angeles P.I. Elvis Cole and his partner, bad-ass ex-marine and ex-cop of few words Joe Pike. I was hooked and immediately devoured the rest of the books in the series that had been released at that point.

Over the years
Play Book Tag: The Promise by Robert Crais - 4 stars 1 9 Dec 19, 2018 09:01AM

• King Maybe (Junior Bender, #5)
  • An Obvious Fact (Walt Longmire #12)
  • A Welcome Grave (Lincoln Perry, #3)
  • The Hollow Girl (Moe Prager, #9)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • The Informant (Butcher's Boy, #3)
  • Arf (Bowser and Birdie #2)
  • Bad Traffic: An Inspector Jian Novel
  • Dead Dreams (A Dakota Mystery #2)
  • Nemesis (Nameless Detective, #37)
  • The Big Gamble (Kevin Kerney, #7)
  • The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #18)
  • Walking Dead (Atticus Kodiak, #7)
  • The Drifter (Peter Ash, #1)
  • Spider Mountain (Cam Richter, #2)
  • Gathering Prey (Lucas Davenport, #25)
  • Nothing Stays Buried (Monkeewrench, #8)
Robert Crais is the author of the best-selling Elvis Cole novels. A native of Louisiana, he grew up on the banks of the Mississippi River in a blue collar family of oil refinery workers and police officers. He purchased a secondhand paperback of Raymond Chandler’s The Little Sister when he was fifteen, which inspired his lifelong love of writing, Los Angeles, and the literature of crime fiction. ...more

Elvis Cole/Joe Pike (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Monkey's Raincoat (Elvis Cole, #1)
  • Stalking the Angel (Elvis Cole, #2)
  • Lullaby Town (Elvis Cole, #3)
  • Free Fall (Elvis Cole, #4)
  • Voodoo River (Elvis Cole, #5)
  • Sunset Express (Elvis Cole, #6)
  • Indigo Slam (Elvis Cole, #7)
  • L.A. Requiem (Elvis Cole, #8)
  • The Last Detective (Elvis Cole, #9)
  • The Forgotten Man (Elvis Cole, #10)
“Every second we have with these fine animals is a blessing. No creature, human or otherwise, will love you with such devotion, or trust you so fully. Remember this, Officer James. These dogs will lay their precious hearts bare to you, and hold back no part for themselves. Can anyone else in your pathetic excuse for a life say the same? Such trust is a gift from God Almighty above, so best you be worthy.” 3 likes
“Patrol dogs and Military Working Dogs were trained to protect their handlers. If the handler was attacked, and unconscious, or fighting for his or her life, the dog had to know what to do without being told. As Leland said, “These animals aren’t robots, goddamnit! They think! You train her up right, this beautiful dog will watch your back better than a squad of goddamned Marines!” 2 likes