Start by marking “It Starts with the Egg: How the Science of Egg Quality Can Help You Get Pregnant Naturally, Prevent Miscarriage, and Improve Your Odds in IVF” as Want to Read:

Whether you are trying to conceive naturally or through IVF, the quality of your eggs will have a powerful impact on how long it takes you to get pregnant and whether you face an increased risk of miscarriage. Poor egg quality is emerging as the single most important cause of age-related infertility, recurrent miscarriage, and failed IVF cycles. It is also a major ...more
Published March 25th 2014 by Franklin Fox Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about It Starts with the Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Starts with the Egg

Start your review of It Starts with the Egg: How the Science of Egg Quality Can Help You Get Pregnant Naturally, Prevent Miscarriage, and Improve Your Odds in IVF
Sarah Silver
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book so helpful. You hear about things like BPAs and other chemicals being bad for you, but I was never sure exactly what I should be avoiding and to be honest it all just seemed too difficult. This is the first book I've read that really puts it all together, explains what you should avoid and what the risks are, and also what positive things you can do, what nutrients are important, etc. I also had no idea how much much of an impact you could make to your fertility by making a few ...more
Brandi
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would recommend for those with recurrent miscarriage or infertility, especially if you feel your doctor isn't too helpful (which is my experience with pretty much every doctor I've seen).
Jacqueline (We Be Book'N)
This was a great book for those who are suffering from miscarriages, or having to do an IUI or IVF. I learned a lot of tips of how to improve my egg quality and my husband's sperm quality, so if this IUI doesn't work that I just did, I'll be putting these tips into place! Great for people struggling with infertility.
Lynn
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books takes dry and challenging scientific material and puts it in a very digestible way for “laymen”, with action plans based on your infertility issues. I am so glad I found this book. Now, to start changing my life in the hopes it’ll finally result in an actual IVF baby.
alesssia
Sep 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book includes the classical suggestions any GP and/or preconception book would give you if you are trying to conceive (take your preconception vitamins, eat healthy, go to the dentist and do a standard fertility check up if things go wrong). After sharing these ordinary midwives' suggestions, the author delves on some extra (and sometime very pricey) supplements (coenzyme Q10, DHEA, myo-inositol, ...) which either do not have enough scientific support to be included in the standard vitamin ...more
Dawn
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated this a 3 only because I've done extensive research as I've been TTC my first for over a year. I've had two missed miscarriages due to chromosomal abnormalities and two chemical pregnancies. I was hoping to read about something new to try as all my testing has been normal. I do think this book would be helpful for women who haven't done extensive research like myself. Lots of good topics.
Samantha Garner
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While many books on conceiving are interesting and invaluable for the information they share, this one in particular is a great read, because the author herself was diagnosed as infertile. It was so refreshing to have someone actually understand what it’s like! And she doesn’t hold back about the medical side of the journey. I learned a great deal from Rebecca Fett.

The first section addresses egg quality and more. Egg quality may not be your particular issue, but there was still a lot of really
Charley
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a comprehensive review of available evidence on anything and everything that can be done to improve egg quality via lifestyle changes. It’s the kind of book that will make you rethink what you buy for your home and put in your body. The author is a molecular biologist who has spent countless hours researching, assessing, and summarizing scientific evidence on how to improve egg quality and increase the chances of conceiving naturally or through IVF.

Although published five years
Monique
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Note: I read the 2019 released second edition.)
I appreciate a book that includes scientific research to back its claims, and books that call out the scientific research shortages as well. This book does that. Very interesting information with many things I just hadn’t thought of. Fett goes into some other special situations as well, referring to autoimmune disorders and blood disorders, and she lays out everything in a nice little prepackaged “this is what you take when and why, and don’t do
Erin
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was SO helpful, and i'm so glad a friend recommended it. It's steeped in science and references every recommendation. There are recs for both people who are just trying to conceive, and people with more advanced issues (age, illness, long time without conceiving), so it appeals to numerous audiences. And then the website has a bunch of great resources for supplements (because there are a LOT of supplements). It's a lot of info, but clear, well researched, and well organized. ...more
Colleen Davis
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I’ve read on fertility, and I’ve read a lot. Fett is a master of distilling the findings from the scientific research of improving egg quality into easy to understand language, giving you all the information you need with no fluff or pseudo-science. She also gives specific actionable steps to take no matter where you are on your fertility journey so that you can personalize it for your needs- including the best dosage for supplements, and in some case the brands of ...more
Kimberly
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is sort of "the" book, in terms of what gets recommended in loss/RPL/IF circles, it seems. If you do get it, get the 2019 version, as it has updated research and is a bit less dramatic, I hear. It is the sort of book that makes you feel like you have some level of control, and that through making some life changes and dietary choices, you are doing the best you can for your future. There are things that were advised I have done (my vitamin regimen is up to par), many that I still want to do ...more
Whitney Tavenner
I loved this - it was informative and helpful and smart without being dry, boring, or fear-mongery. It was extensively researched and referenced (500+ footnotes in the 258 pages of actual text) which I also loved. I've done plenty of internet reading on supplements to add, diets to try, things to avoid, etc. and it's really time-consuming and difficult to pick out the actual fact-based recommendations from all the bullshit.

The accompanying website with the list of recommended supplements is just
Rebecca Lobb
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I’m not trying to get pregnant.

However, in the next few years it will be on my agenda. And I wanted to get an idea of why this book has been so highly recommended. I work in a field where infertility is becoming all too common. I also have PCOS. I loved how this book broken down in to easy to read chunks. Due to my A&P background some of it was a little bit boring because I understood the science of it. However, there were also many things I did not know. Such as the vitamins,
Ashley Salisbury
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any woman trying to conceive.
Required reading for any person, male and female, trying to conceive. Easy to read language regarding the biology of egg maturation and the steps that can be taken to improve the chances of a healthy egg, fertilization, implantation, and pregnancy. Male readers need to remember that half of a baby's DNA comes from sperm, and should therefore take all precautions and suggestions to ensuring healthy sperm comes in contact with a healthy egg. Do all your homework before trying to conceive ...more
Cheri
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read. I liked the breakdown of different supplements and their effects. There sections on how to improve sperm and egg quality were helpful. To my chagrin, there were a couple I've already tried from the no-no list. Lots of research info with the corresponding list of studies to back it up. Where I'm from there's no sex-ed and infertility isn't talked about, so I'm grateful to have access to facts.
BriZen
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hope for improving fertility after 35

I’ve read a number or excellent books on fertility and the female cycle and this is the first book that gave me hope about improving my fertility after 35. The information was excellent for both men and women with recommended supplement and dietary suggestions. Loved it and highly recommended for anyone experiencing any type of fertility challenges (and those just looking to safe-guard fertility for later years)!
Sarah kendall
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
To much focus on ivf

I bought this book as I thought it be an interesting read as am trying too conceive. But it did focus too much in pcso and ivf for me plus it's more American orientated and an in the uk. Alot of references to studies. The only but I found interesting is the best supplies to Take and that has helped me find a brand to use. Okay for the 99p i paid, glad it wasn't much more.
Krista Crouch
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are thinking about getting pregnant, this book gives you a lot to think about, especially for those later in age. It’s based off a lot of surveys and rat tests, but it’s still worth a read. It makes you understand how far behind the US is in comparison to the EU in terms of chemicals in plastics and other things we interact with daily.
Shawna P.
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first started reading this thinking I was going to read another book with the same regurgitated information I have read before. However, this book was in a class of its own. Really informative and covers things I would not think of. Yes, some parts get very granola and scare you from a lot of things, but unlike most books, it has lots of research backing it up. Great for anyone TTC.
Jenn
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the generally “recommended” book before starting IVF that really breaks down a lot of the science behind the “why” when doctors say things like eliminating dairy or taking a CoQ10 supplement would help. It presents everything in a science based way that wasn’t just intended to “scare” me.
Gloria Marcano Cerisano
They recommended this book and everything that I needed. I do understand more the process that a person has to do when dealing with IVF.

Thank you, Rebecca, for all the great information on the book.
Beckey
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know this book is supposedly the holy grail of infertility books, but after reading just the first chapter, I'm amazed that anyone (fertility issues or not) ever gets pregnant. Fear mongering at best.
Thapena
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Thank you so much for writing this book and giving women with infertility issues hope of conceiving based on real scientific evidence. To any women out there going thru infertility this book is worth a read, it is worth following the steps for you and your partner.
Gathigia
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Janessa
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book might be useful if you're struggling with infertility, and has lots of research included, but I found the warnings very scary. If I want to try for a baby, I'd be so anxious thinking of all the things they scare you about.
Holly Holloway
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best fertility help book I’ve read thus far and I’ve read several. It puts a ton of scientific info into understandable terms. It’s a quick read packed with great info on supplements and diet. If you are just beginning your journey or have been trying for years, get this book!
Pamela Beachnau
One is the most fascinating books I’ve ever read. Very informative. I loved this book and i recommend it to any woman who is thinking of starting a family.
Kristin
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really informative book. And there are changes anyone that is trying to conceive can make. I always assumed this was more meant for IVF people, but it's not.
Shana
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Helpful book to read if egg quality is an issue for you.

• The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant
  • Making Babies: A Proven 3-Month Program for Maximum Fertility
  • Get A Life: His & Hers Survival Guide to IVF
  • Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health
  • Real Food for Pregnancy: The Science and Wisdom of Optimal Prenatal Nutrition
  • Yes, You Can Get Pregnant: Natural Ways to Improve Your Fertility Now and Into Your 40s
  • The Infertility Cure: The Ancient Chinese Wellness Program for Getting             Pregnant and Having Healthy Babies
  • Not Broken: An Approachable Guide to Miscarriage and Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
  • Infreakinfertility: How to Survive When Getting Pregnant Gets Hard
  • The Fertility Diet
  • Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • Conceivability: What I Learned Exploring the Frontiers of Fertility
  • What to Expect Before You're Expecting
  • The Art of Waiting: On Fertility, Medicine, and Motherhood
  • The Miscarriage Map: What To Expect When You Are No Longer Expecting
  • Beyond the Pill: A 30-Day Program to Balance Your Hormones, Reclaim Your Body, and Reverse the Dangerous Side Effects of the Birth Control Pill
  • Not Broken: An Approachable Guide to Miscarriage and Recurrent Pregnancy Loss