Start by marking “Grace's Guide: The Art of Pretending to Be a Grown-up” as Want to Read:
Grace's Guide: The Art of Pretending to Be a Grown-up

Grace's Guide: The Art of Pretending to Be a Grown-up

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  7,686 ratings  ·  659 reviews
"One of the sharpest, funniest voices on YouTube" (Forbes), comedian Grace Helbig offers an irreverent and illustrated guide to life for anyone faced with the challenge of growing up.

Face it—being a young adult in the digital era is one of the hardest things to be. Well, maybe there are harder things in life…but being an adult is difficult! So Grace Helbig has written a gu
Published October 21st 2014 by Touchstone

really liked it 4.00  ·

Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grace Helbig - the beauty guru, the adventure seeker and the fashion commentator - has written the seminal millennial advice book.

Told with her signature sass and humor, Grace dishes what she uses to motivate herself to get ahead.
I like to watch beauty gurus who are younger than me on YouTube to get inspired to take showers. Even just thinking about them is making me pissed and somehow motivated.
I've watched quite a few episodes - I love when she comments on all the crazy celebrity outfits!
Penny Cipolone
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer right up front -- I was Grace Helbig's Latin teacher for five years so some may see me as biased. That said, I laughed, I cried (well actually I laughed so much I cried)as I read this wonderful book. Grace has grown up to be a marvelous comedian, and I am sorry that up until now I have missed so much of her journey. Hey - I taught Latin for 42 years, not exactly from the YouTube generation. "Grace's Guide" is wicked funny and wicked smart. All my JCL friends should take note of her ve ...more
Raeleen Lemay
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Grace is such a fun time.
Whitney Atkinson
I read YouTuber’s advice books with a grain of salt because the advice is generic and even repetitive if you’ve read several of these kinds of books, but I wanted to pick this up because I really respect Grace Helbig and I’ve listened to her podcast and I like her tone of humor. This was a fun and quick listen on audiobook, but once again, not life altering.
Maxwell
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, audiobook
So first of all I want to say that I love Grace Helbig. I've been a fan of hers for years, and I've really enjoyed following her career as she has expanded beyond her personal YouTube channel. That being said, I didn't think this book was necessarily her best comedy. That being said, I don't think she was necessarily shooting for the same comedy that she normally does with this. It was very much a millennial's guide to adulting, which you can fully expect from the title of this book. One caveat ...more
Tan Markovic
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars!

Listened to on Scribd!

A very fun, quick and light hearted read which made me laugh out loud!

I used to watch Grace on YouTube in the early EARLY days of YouTube…but I stopped watching the past…maybe 5 years? The oversaturation of YouTube and new content creators coming out may be why…and I just didn’t really feel connected to her and her content.

Having said this, this book definitely reminded me why I loved Grace all them years ago. She speaks about her struggle with anxiety and althoug
Sarah Elizabeth
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I kind of want to give everyone I know a copy of this book.
Christina
Sep 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Everyone knows Grace from her YouTube channel, right? Right. I love her. I used to watch her religiously, but then my kids took over my life. I still check in every once in a while and I still love what I see so I was excited to review her first book. It's all about being a grown up, which I already am, but I'm still learning! She has some adult survival tips that I absolutely identify with, like, "You can get it at Target." While a lot of the book is tongue-in-cheek and written exactly how she ...more
Kimberley
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A helping hand in disguise! Don't be fooled by the sarcasm, this book actually is a legitimate guide to being a grown-up. Written in her signature witty charm, Grace's voice infuses this pseudo-self-help guide with humour, reflection, and true understanding of what it's like to be an 'adultolescent'. Filled with nuggets of wisdom on each page(and some of mom's timeless advice)this book is thoroughly enjoyable to read. As a young, 22 year old facing the challenges of finding myself and standing o ...more
Marie
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Rather disappointed by this. I expected the wit, humour and fun that we all know and love from Grace's videos, but this was definitely something different.
Monica Fumarolo
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A hilarious and heartfelt guide for me and my fellow Millennials who are trying to navigate this whole "adulting" thing, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and can easily see myself buying it for friends and rereading it in the years to come. Helbig's conversational style makes me feel like we could have been friends in college (had either of us known how to socialize in real life - if only a guide like this had existed back then!).

Full Thoughts:
For how long have people said that there's not a guide
Veronica Morfi
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite enjoyable to listen to. I am a recent fan of Grace (since This Might Get started airing on YouTube), so I didn't know much about her past and this was a very interesting look into her life.
Dana Aldee
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There may be way too many Youtuber books out there nowadays yet Grace’s stands alone like no other. Not only does Grace share some personal comedic, heartfelt stories in the book, she also includes arts & crafts for you to use creatively. Loved it!
Kati
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, bio-memoirs
I've had a love/hate relationship with Grace, but she is an extremely witty and funny person. She writes a lot like she vlogs - honestly and sometimes a little off point. But she offers some real advice along with some heartwarming anecdotes that make this a read you want curl up with to cheer you up after a bad day. Overall, her book doesn't disappoint, and I am excited to buy a copy when it comes out!
Rianna
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. This was very common sense information and it was barely funny. I don't watch Grace's youtube but I think I would have liked it more if I have watched her videos.
Dana Burkey
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Much like her YouTube videos this was utter perfection! I laughed so many times and at one point though I should count all the "poop" "fart" and general bathroom comments, but it would be WAY TOO MANY to keep track of! This is just another reason I love Grace so much!!!
Christina
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Please support my blog and read my non-spoiler review here: http://adventures-in-polishland.com/2...

I’ve been a big fan of Grace Helbig’s YouTube videos for years, and was very excited to find out she was releasing her first book, Grace’s Guide, back in 2014. I was so excited, in fact, that I attended her book tour and got to meet Grace at Housing Works Bookstore in New York. For some reason I waited two years to read the book, and finally picked it up to read for my 2016 Popsugar Reading Chall
Tiffany Day
I've not watched any of Grace's blogs; however, I've enjoyed her appearances on @midnight. So, I was expecting a really funny book. I thought from the title it might be a witty collection of essays about her life experiences or maybe a tongue-in-cheek lifestyle guru's supposed sage wisdom. It is neither. Instead, it's basically a self-help book for young adults who've never left their home - ever. It's filled with gems like, "go out." "Meet people." "Take Advil when you're hungover." ...idk - I ...more
Penny Landon
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Lately it seems like every YouTuber is releasing a new book, which I don't have a problem with except when they neglect to actually write the book themselves...but that is a completely different rant about ghost writers that I don't want to get into. I've been a longtime viewer of Grace Helbig and I was interested to see what kind of guidebook she would write. I haven't really enjoyed the so called self-help books that celebrities have been releasing, so I was a little apprehensive about this on ...more
Samantha
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, own, 2015
This review and others can be found at Where's My Bookmark?

Such a fun book full of Grace’s humor and chock full of funny photographs. I loved every minute of this book. I am a long time fan of Grace and I knew I needed this book (or at least read it).

Reminiscent of her vlogging style, Grace’s Guide features her unique humor, coupled with great (and humorous) advice for everyday obstacles such as traveling, attending parties, and how to survive the walk of shame.

It was so much fun to read and I l
Alexandra
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've been watching Grace on YouTube for a few years now, so I had to show some support and read her book. Now she has her own TV show on E! and she is becoming a lot more famous (I'm so happy for her, she definitely deserves it). I think she's funny because she's easy to relate to. She's awkward, but not so much that it seems fake or TOO weird. I think that's what makes this book so great. She talks a lot about her social anxiety and how she deals with it. A lot of her comedy seems to be based o ...more
Rachel Lynn
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I remember being woken up at 10:30am by the amazon.ca guy giving me this book and then reading the whole thing starting right then and there.

This book was everything I needed in that moment. Grace talks about the realest stuff I think you could ever talk about: relationships, family, parties, anxiety, life in general...

This book had amazing advice and Im not just saying that because its a guide book. Im currently in university and this book was so relatable to many situations you face in school
Nicholle
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why on earth did I pick up a "celebrity" advice book by someone I'd never heard of before who is mainly famous on all the social media stuff I don't use and who gives advice on things I probably should have mastered at least 10 years ago? I have no earthly idea, but it was fun and funny and just the thing I needed to get out of my reading rut. Grace is like a young Tina Fey in Kate Middleton wrapping. And she swears just the right amount.

Oh, also I do know why I picked this book up. It's becaus
Julia
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got this book for Christmas, and flipped through it as soon as I got it! With its gorgeous design and Grace's hilarious way of story telling, this is book just feels like a party to read. Also, the paper quality is insanely nice. I'd probably spend a few hours a day just stroking that paper if that wouldn't be a weird thing to do. Anyway. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone, even to those who aren't familiar with Grace. It's an amazingly fun read and I'm sure I'll pick it up lots of time j ...more
Eli
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
I picked this up from the library based mostly on the premise that this would help me be an adult or at least realize it's not so hard to pretend. And because Grace Helbig, while I don't have much experience with her, seems very funny. I mostly know of her from knowing of Hannah Hart.

This is definitely worth the read, especially for fans of mostly clean, awkward girl humor. It's broken into various sections of self-help and there are a ton of funny and occasionally self-deprecating pictures. Thi
erin
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my first audio book, and I really enjoyed it. It was the perfect book for that format, especially due to the fact that it was actually narrated by Grace Helbig. It was like she was reading me a hilariously inappropriate bedtime story each night. Overall, recommend if you watch Grace, and if you don't, you'll want to after this read.
Kerstinloves
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I don't know but for some reason I just couldn't connect with this book. It always felt kinda fake and superficial to me. I really admire Grace and her career - she's such a fierce and fun woman but this book just didn't do her justice. Maybe it's because I'm obviously not in her target audience but this book was a huge disappointment for me. Soz Grace!
Tara
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, audiobook
I liked it. I laughed out loud in several occasions- but the language was a little much.
Jazmyn Mitchell
Jun 23, 2014 marked it as to-read
I want to read this book so badly!!! I'm a huge fan of Grace Helbig!!! :)
Lucie
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-fiction
A fun book, I liked the little anecdotes about grace's life and I could see how some of her tips could actually be helpful.

• My Drunk Kitchen: A Guide to Eating, Drinking, and Going with Your Gut
  • You Deserve a Drink: Boozy Misadventures and Tales of Debauchery
  • Make Up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style, and Success--Online and Off
  • The Girl's Guide to Absolutely Everything: Advice on Absolutely Everything
  • Original Self: Living with Paradox and Originality
  • It Takes Balls: Dating Single Moms and Other Confessions from an Unprepared Single Dad
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things: (Parenting. Marriage. Madness)
  • Reasons My Kid Is Crying
  • I, Justine: An Analog Memoir
  • Play Something Dancy
  • The Reluctant Bride: One Woman's Journey (Kicking And Screaming) Down The Aisle
  • The Glam Guide
  • Pigeon in a Crosswalk: Tales of Anxiety and Accidental Glamour
  • Real Simple: Solutions: Tricks, Wisdom, and Easy Ideas to Simplify Every Day
  • White House Nannies
  • A Field Guide to Awkward Silences
  • Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies: On Myths, Morons, Free Speech, Football, and Assorted Absurdities
Oh, hello. My name is Grace Helbig. I’m desperately seeking your attention as a vlogger, writer and comedic performer. I created and self-produced the IAWTV and Streamy award winning web series Daily Grace. NOW I’ve launched and self-produce the web series itsGrace.

My friends, Hannah Hart and Mamrie Hart, and myself have recently released our FIRST FEATURE FILM, Camp Takota!

I’ve been seen on Come
“Smart people ask for help, because it’s a much more efficient way of doing things than wasting time doing it the wrong way.” 12 likes
“Spend time with the people who bring out your true flavors but don’t overpower you.” 10 likes