Start by marking “The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)

The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  6,189 Ratings  ·  278 Reviews
A is for author....

It's up to Dink and his two best friends, Josh and Ruth Rose, to find th
Published 1997 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Absent Author, please sign up.

Melanie Voris The kids want to find out about the missing author

Chelsea Humphrey
Aug 16, 2017 is currently reading it
This mama is so happy that McKenna is showing an early interest in mysteries! 😍
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Holy mother load of childhood memories. These books, along side Cam Jansen, became my childhood. I was known as The Girl Who Loves Mystery Books at my school library. Yep. I was that cool. (Still am).

I am only going to review the first in this series because you guys probably wouldn't want 26 "OMG I LOVED THESE BOOKS" reviews.
And, "A" stands for Awesome so how fitting.

Calling children everywhere. If you want to be like Stella Chen one day, start reading these books because you will not regret it
Taylor Miller
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I read “The Absent Author” by Ron Roy. It is a cute kids book about an Author who gets kidnapped. The story takes place in a town called Green Lawn during the summer. The whole story happens within two days.

The main characters of the book are Dink, Ruth Rose, Josh, and Mavis Green. Dink, Ruth Rose, and Josh are all kids. Ruth Rose loves the color purple and she is dressed in it from head to toe. Josh is more of a quiet kid who tags along and does whatever Dink and Ruth do. Dink is the leader o
Trisha
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
These are so fun! My 9 year old and I are listening to this as audio books in the car every day. We are constantly running around together on errands or to Girl Scout events.

These are a great easy way to give us something to listen to besides me trying to skip past the most recent Kesha song (ugh!) or completely inappropriate DJ banter.

I think so far this one has been my favorite. I love mysteries, so as a adult it's easy to spot "who done it"

but for my 9 year old, this one completely surprised
Mary
Oct 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Description from inside book flap:
"A is for author.... Dink writes to his favorite author, mystery writer Wallis Wallace, and invites him to visit Green Lawn. To Dink's amazement, Wallace says he'll come! But when the big day arrives, Wallace is nowhere to be found. The police think he just missed his plane, but Dink suspects foul play. It's up to Dink and his two best friends, Josh and Ruth Rose, to find the famous writer--before it's too late! "

This book, from the A-Z Mystery series is a great
xx_Alpha Mom_xx
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
It was terrible. Don't expect it to be good. The plot was absent, just like the author.
Valerie Basham
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this aloud to Matthew.
Dan Prillwitz
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
“The Absent Author” is a book written about three kids; Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose. Dink writes a letter to the famous author Wallis Wallace and is asking him to come to Green Lawn, the town Dink lives in. Wallis Wallace writes back to Dink and tells him that he will come. But when the day comes where Wallis Wallace is supposed to arrive he does not. Dink and his friends are worried. Dink remembers that Wallis said something about possibly getting kidnapped, so this makes Dink and the crew get to ...more
Aaron Schroeder
Dec 06, 2013 rated it liked it
One day Dink decides to write to his favorite author, Wallis Wallace, and invites him to come to the local library to visit with him. Surprisingly, Wallace says he will come. Wallace never shows up on the day he says he will come, and Dink and his friends decide to go out and find him. They must use the clues left behind to try to save Wallace before it is to late.

The main characters in the story are Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose. Wallis Wallace also plays an important role as the kids are trying to
Ch_beverlyatwood
Title: The Absent Author (part of the A to Z Mysteries)
Author: Ron Roy
Illustrator: John Steven Gurney
Publisher: Random House
Year originally published: 1997
Translator (if applicable):
Approximate Interest Level/Reading Level: Ages 5-8
Format (picture book, audio book, book read online, chapter book/novel, graphic novel): Chapter Book
Rating system: ****
Brief summary: Dink Duncan and his two friends investigate the apparent kidnapping of famous mystery author Wallis Wallace. Dink e-mails author Walla
(NS)Jordyn
This book series is perfect for 2nd and 3rd grade. The storyline is simple enough for readers that are still focusing some of the time on decoding. The main character, Dink, and his friends Josh and Ruth Rose aren't the most developed characters, but they could grow after a few books. I think one of the reasons this book series is so popular is because it empowers the child-characters and has them work with the adults on an almost equal playing field to solve the mystery. I'm actually interested ...more
Kori Looker
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. A boy, Dink, writes a letter of invitation to his favorite author Wallis Wallace. Wallis Wallace wrote back saying, “I’ll be there no matter what, unless I’m kidnapped.” When Wallis Wallace doesn’t show, Dink thinks his favorite author is kidnapped. He is determined to solve the mystery of the absent author. Turns out the author tricked Dink about the kidnapping! Wallis Wallace was with him the entire time disguised as Mavis Green. Wallis watched as his number one fan ...more
Corbin Billington
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was really a page turner for the fact that every page made you want Dink and his friends to solve the mystery of the Absent Author. Ron Roy does a great job of explaining the situation and showing the hardships of mystery solving. The kids solving the mystery had trouble finding the next clue even when they were on a roll. This is what made it such an enjoyable book to read. I would recommend this book to anyone below the age of 15. The younger readers would especially enjoy this book becau ...more
Cynthia
Aug 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-reads
This is the first book in a series of mysteries all beginning with a different letter of the alphabet. Some are definitely more mysterious than others, but my boys (ages 6 and almost 4) just eat them up. Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are three friends living in the small town of Green Lawn who seem to find adventure after adventure. The mysteries are simple enough that even young readers can pick up clues and begin to put the pieces together themselves. I think this will be a series that we will ret ...more
Becka dittmann
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Heather
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received five of the books in this series as a "prize" during a conference I attended a year or so ago. I began reading them with my son this summer, and today he asked me to take him to the library to see if they had any of the others in the series.
Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are fun characters who have amazing adventures together. In this first novel, their favorite author is missing in action. They follow clues to figure out the mystery. It's sort of a "modern day" Boxcar Children or Nancy D
Aaron_ebert
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children between the ages of 8-12
Recommended to Aaron_ebert by: Corbin Billington
Shelves: childrens-books
"The Absent Author" was a mystery book for children based on the story of Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose. When Josh contacts his favorite author, Wallice Wallis,she says she will come to Green Lawn for a book signing. When she fails to show up at the book signing, Josh and his friends go on a hunt to find her. They retrace her steps and you must read the book to find out what happens.

I thought the book was fairly decent. It's definitely written for children in the 8-12 age category.If you're interest
Alicia Samson
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dolly
Apr 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Although we've read a few of these books, we wanted to read the first in the A to Z Mysteries series and try to read the rest in order, if we can find them all at the library. It's interesting to see how these kids get their start as detectives, solving mysteries. It's not my favorite of the books so far, but it's got our girls hooked.
Inoli
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Inoli by: Stella
Two ratings for early chapter books, I think. Around a three for me; and these, I think, are a definite four for what they are and who their audience is. I really did some smiling through these and I was pretty impressed with several things (read the first three and will copy this to the others). They seemed to me like they would be really challenging and I liked the addition of the map of the neighborhood in the front.
Szneco
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, children
I've first read a book from this series and I feel amazed there're many useful expressions in it.
If you are English learner as a second language, this kinds of books for children would be helpful.
You could understand the context where sentences are used. That is hard to know by learning with textbook.
Jennifer Blaine
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Emily loves these books, and I picked this one up to see why she found them so entertaining. It was a fun read. I highly recommend reading what your kids like. It gives a different look into their personalities.
kristen
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was my first chapter book read-a-loud this school year. We finished on a library day. When my students returned from the library, half of them had checked out A to Z mysteries. Needless to say, it was a raving hit! Class voted and we will be reading The Bald Bandit next.
Abbas
Jan 06, 2015 added it
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Hua
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I think there were too many coincidences for a mystery and the kids weren't proactive enough. They need clues? Good thing the book store guy has an itinerary and people in the hotel will just up and give the address of workers to ask for clues. And how do you get that worker to open up? Good thing one of the main chars knows the worker.

Overall I found its dialogue and description drier and more forced than other children's mysteries like Jigsaw Jones but the solution was also equally obvious and
Nam
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Anneliese Collins
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ah, the nostalgia. I remember loving these as a kid, but somehow, now that I'm older, the magic has worn off. What a shame...I wish I could go back to being a kid for an hour and enjoy these all over again.
Anne
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
First in a mystery series (DRA 30) that will appeal to students who can follow the clues and solve the mystery along with the protagonists.
Mrs. Ramoly
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun, lighthearted mystery series for students. Perfect independent reading for advanced 2nd grade students, or all 3rd-4th grade students.
Amanda
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute mystery book, good for young/new readers, good intro to chapter books/series.
I have a question 1 12 Mar 28, 2014 01:31AM
Did anyone think... 1 17 Mar 21, 2013 06:20PM
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)
  • Stage Fright on a Summer Night (Magic Tree House, #25)
  • The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet (The Secrets of Droon, #1)
  • Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #1)
  • Nate the Great and the Stolen Base
  • Tooth Trouble (Ready, Freddy! #1)
  • Horrible Harry in Room 2B (Horrible Harry, #1)
  • Great-Grandpa's in the Litter Box (The Zack Files #1)
Full name: Wallace Ronald Roy
Most known for the children's mystery series "A-Z Mysteries" and "Calendar Mysteries"
More about Ron Roy...

A to Z Mysteries (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • The Deadly Dungeon (A to Z Mysteries, #4)
  • The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)
  • The Falcon's Feathers (A to Z Mysteries, #6)
  • The Goose's Gold (A to Z Mysteries, #7)
  • The Haunted Hotel (A to Z Mysteries, #8)
  • The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9)
  • The Jaguar's Jewel (A to Z Mysteries, #10)
  • The Kidnapped King (A to Z Mysteries, #11)

“The letter was signed Wallis Wallace in loopy letters. Dink grinned. “Pretty neat, huh?” “Pretty neat, Mister Duncan!” teased Josh. “You should have that letter framed,” Ruth Rose said. “Great idea!” Dink said. They passed Howard’s Barbershop. Howard waved through his window as they hurried by. “Come on!” Dink urged as he dragged his friends down the street to the Book Nook. They looked through the window, out of breath. The” 0 likes
“Chapter” 0 likes