Start by marking “Nexus Point” as Want to Read:
Nexus Point

Nexus Point

(The Fall of the Altairan Empire #1)

Nexus point - a beginning, an origin. With a single flap of a butterfly's wing, a giant typhoon is born. Within a single moment, a single act, lie the seeds of salvation or destruction. The Altairan Empire contains thousands of worlds, trillions of citizens. One woman's destiny could destroy them all. It begins with a chance meeting, a random encounter on a planet trapped ...more
Published November 30th 2009 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Nexus Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nexus Point

Start your review of Nexus Point
Katy
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of space opera
Shelves: ebook
Book Info: Genre: Space Opera
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of space opera

Disclosure: I received the 2nd book in this series, Priestess of the Eggstone from the LibraryThing Early Reviewer’s program in exchange for an honest review. I was not aware of the fact it was a 2nd book when I started reading, and when I discovered there was a previous book, I purchased it for myself so I could read it. As a result I’m under no obligation, but am always happy to provide an honest review.

Syno
Shallee McArthur
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was in college, my roommate came home one day with a CD. She said her boss's wife--Jaleta Clegg--was a writer, and had offered to let my roommate read an ecopy of the book she was working on. When I found out it was sci fi, I immediately wanted to read it too. I popped the CD in my computer...and read Nexus Point half the night.

I loved the story so much, my roommate gave me the CD. For the next few years, I would pull it up every once in a while and read it again. One day, I decided to fi
Debbie
DANG, Jaleta! Every other page was something unexpected and exciting. A spacecraft pilot ends up in a world that combines Robin Hood, Ponce De Lyon, and King Arthur. You end up with surprises at every turn. One saves Two. Then Two saves One. Then Three saves One and Two. And its a wonder that One doesn't die right away.

A delightful young adult tale that, I hate to admit, kept me awake so I could finish. And I just do not do that. I do NOT stay awake to finish reading a book. I have too much self
Frances
Mar 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I always judge a book by how easy it is to put down. With Nexus Point, I couldn't and I didn't. The action grabs you from the first, "Oh, no!" and keeps a firm grip on you all the way to the final, "Wait, I want more, please?"

With the winning combination of: a heroine I can empathize with, a hero that is both irresistable and dangerous, a world that is thoroughly built and original, and quirky, fun side characters with a touch of humor, Nexus Point is a big win.

Cleverly plotted, richly peopled,
Sherwood
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fast paced adventure
Dace's troubles start when her ship is sabotaged and she crash lands on a quarantined primitive planet. In her efforts to get off the planet she encounters friends, makes enemies, and is the catalyst for planet wide changes. The planet will never be the same again. Dace has a supporting cast of characters that come alive on the page. I love the ending, it finishes the story, but leaves a lot of room for other books.
M. Pax
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A traditional style space opera, Nexus Point takes you on a non-stop adventure. From chapter one when Captain Dace is forced to make an emergency landing unti the end, the intrigue and surprises kept coming. Dadilan is a planet rich in perils and goings on. Captain Dace stumbles into them all. A definite fun read. If you love space opera, you'll enjoy this.
Mark Engels
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of fantasy, spacefaring sci-fi and cyberpunk will appreciate this genre-blending beginning of author Clegg's "The Fall of the Altairan Empire" series. Leading lady Dace is a layered and well-developed character, eminently relatable given her struggle to persevere through one hard-luck scenario after another. "Life comes at you fast", so goes the saying, and Dace does her best to roll with the punches. Though this reader would have liked to have seen her develop agency far earlier in the boo ...more
Richard
In full disclosure I won the second book in this series in a Goodreads giveaway.

The story itself is good, it is not a typical sci-fi story but it’s not totally original either. You can see the influences from traditional sci-fi shows such as Star Wars and Star Trek.

The language is fairly simple, that’s not to say it is bad, just not elegant or elaborate and we are only told the bare facts and not any additional information. While it makes the book less stimulating it also makes it a quick and ea
Soleil
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nexus point, from start to stop, beginning to end, chapter 1 to chapter 40, is a fast paced, adrenaline rush of a read. Jaleta Clegg’s style is very to the point, very no-nonsense. No fluff or extraneous detail of any kind. Just constant forward motion. She doesn’t slow down by much, and keep in mind, I think this is all a good thing. Because there is a lot of story to cover. Though I do usually prefer a bit more introspection, it just doesn’t call for it. There’s too much going on, the heroine ...more
Tessa
I'll start by saying I am not a huge fan of sci-fi or of romance, so this just wasn't the book for me. I read it because I work with the author's husband and he wanted my opinion.

I have a hard time separating my opinion of any novel from the actual quality of the writing but I'll give it a shot. The book felt erratic. Tayvis was nice the rough then has Dace at gunpoint then loves her. I just couldn't keep him straight. He's also the perfectly chiseled male lead in a romance that I don't particul
A.F.
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nexus Point- The Fall of the Altairan Empire: Book One by Jaleta Clegg is a jaunty science fiction novel mixed well with a little romance, a little wit and a few skewed medieval legends; at times I half expected someone to show looking for the Holy Grail.

The plot details the trials of Captain Dace after her spaceship explodes and she makes a crash landing on the planet Dadilan, a world off-limits to outsiders. Right off the mark she is embroiled in the internal struggles of the planet and manag
Paul Keefe
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her ship crash landed on the feudal planet Dadilan, Captain Dace finds herself at the mercy of corrupt officials, former sabotaging crewmembers, and the Patrol. Not a good place to be. What’s worse is the local officials, some from off planet, are all part of the shara drug trade.

Dace spends much of her time trying to convince a Patrol officer, Tayvis, that she isn’t a smuggler. But it seems everyone is telling a different story, making it difficult for Dace to convince anyone of her innocence.
Lynda Bester
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darcia Helle
I am not normally drawn to the sci-fi genre but, having read and loved two of Jaleta Clegg's short stories, I had to read her novel. Dace, the main character in Nexus Point, is completely lovable. She reminds me of a sci-fi version of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum character. She's tough but vulnerable and muddles her way through the disasters she finds herself caught up in.

This book moves at a fast pace and is full of action, a touch of romance, and unexpected humor. The only drawback for me
This was an interesting story with some interesting characters. I was happy to see Dace come a little more into her own by the end of the book after being dragged around from pillar to post throughout the whole story. I found that I kept desperately hoping for some sense of order or authority to make a presence. I will likely read the second book and see where the story goes. I think for me I could grow to really like it, or lose interest all together depending on how the story unfolds. I'm real ...more
Kaitlyn Lindsay
People have been calling this book a "Space Opera." Well, I didn't really know what that term meant, so I looked it up, and many people seem to think it means a dramatic and epic space adventure. But really no one could agree on one definition anyway, and since I think that phrase is super cheesy, I will refrain from using it to describe Nexus Point. I really saw this book as what would happen if the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises had a baby...

To see the complete review over at The Book
gert
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved, loved, loved this book.

you got your humour, you got your bad-ass, but flawed heroine. you got your nifty futuristic technology and life forms. throw in a little historical vibe (yes, historical AND futuristic in one book) and a fairly interesting story arc (a bit messy at time, btw) with a hero like this guy - and yes, its a good book.

the ending makes me wonder if this will become a series, not a cliff hanger per se (i hate those) but definitely open ended. and if the author is reading t
John
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Young starship captain is stranded on a medieval world, and runs into a relentless series of intrigues, threats, dangers, captivities, last second rescues, and increasingly romantic encounters with an undercover Patrol agent. Lots of wry commentary and dialog. If I have any reservation, it's just that the main character(s) take humongous amounts of bodily damage, then undergo miraculous recoveries. But that's a minor thing....overall an enjoyable yarn.
Michael Miller
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is from my teenage son. I will add my personal review once done reading this book.

Nexus Point is a very engaging book. Dace’s ship explodes and she ends up stuck on Dadilan, where there are people trying to kill her, no resources, and the Patrol. All she wants is to be off Dadilan. The combination of sci-fi, action, and adventure makes the book fun to read. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series!
Stacy Juba
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up reading Robert A. Heinlein and the Star Wars novels, but somehow over the years I stopped reading science fiction. Nexus Point brought me back to those days and was an exciting read. It was well-written, full of wonderful descriptions and details that project the reader right into the story. Dace was a likeable character caught up in extraordinary circumstances. Fans of science fiction novels should love this book. Jaleta Clegg is a fresh new voice in the science fiction genre.
Julie Powell
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unusual mix of science fiction and fantasy, which makes the story intriguing. The characters are believable, in that the reader can relate to the constant predicaments of Dace, and the recognisable mistakes made.

I don't give spoilers but will say that this story is a readable adventure, will an array of emotions that spark great interest in the characters.

Worth reading.
Linda
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed immensely, ordered sequel, read it now eagerly awaiting April release of book three!
Daron
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast-paced, and very enjoyable sci-fi adventure. Highly recommended!
Sonja Herbert
That was a really nice read, even though it wasn't very polished. I'm still thinking about whether I want to read the sequel. I'm leaning toward doing so.
Dwagon
« previous 1 3 next »
Ciara Knight's Bo...: Science fiction adventure novel 1 5 Jun 27, 2012 08:10AM

• Buffalo Soldier
  • A Transcontinental Affair
  • The Heiress of Linn Hagh (Detective Lavender Mysteries, #1)
  • The Broken Kingdoms (Inheritance, #2)
  • Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1)
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst (Village of Primm #1)
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 5 (UFO #5)
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 4 (UFO #4)
  • The Voyage of the Minotaur (Senta and the Steel Dragon, #1)
  • Snowspelled (The Harwood Spellbook, #1)
  • Blood Grains Speak Through Memories
  • Escape from the Ordinary
  • City of Ruins (Diving Universe, #2)
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 7 (UFO, #7)
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 6 (UFO #6)
  • Disgrace of the Unicorn's Honor (Andy Smithson, #3)
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • Dreadnaught (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #1)
I write numerous genres including space opera, science fiction, fantasy, and comic horror. I've even dabbled in romance.

Find my space opera series at http://www.altairanempire.com and all my writing at http://www.jaletac.com

My day job involves a planetarium, a starship simulator and lots of school children.

The Fall of the Altairan Empire (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Priestess of the Eggstone
  • Poisoned Pawn (The Fall of the Altairan Empire, #3)
  • Kumadai Run (The Fall of the Altairan Empire, #4)
  • Cold Revenge (The Fall of the Altairan Empire, #5)
  • Jericho Falling (The Fall of the Altairan Empire, #6)
  • Obsidian Tears (The Fall of the Altairan Empire)
  • Chain of Secrets
  • An Indecent Proposal (The Fall of the Altairan Empire)
  • Phoenix in Flames (The Fall of the Altairan Empire Book 10)
  • Redemption (The Fall of the Altairan Empire Book 11)