Start by marking “Starless Night (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #8)” as Want to Read:
Starless Night (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #8)

Starless Night

(Legacy of the Drow #2)

I can find no answers in Mithril Hall....The apparent serenity of Drizzt Do'Urden, the brooding quiet, will show me nothing of the future designs of the drow. yet, for the sake of my friends, I must know those dark intentions. And so I fear that there remains only one place for me to look...

The Underdark. A place of brooding darkness, where no shadows exist, and where Driz
Mass Market Paperback, 369 pages
Published May 6th 2008 by Wizards of the Coast (first published July 30th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Starless Night, please sign up.
Paul Bagosy I asked Salvatore about that back in 2010, and he said that he was as baffled as I was and had no control over the cover art. I know it's *supposed*…moreI asked Salvatore about that back in 2010, and he said that he was as baffled as I was and had no control over the cover art. I know it's *supposed* to be Drizzt, but to preserve my sanity I just assume it's Matron Baenre.(less)

David
Anyone who's been reading Drizzt stories until now probably don't need any reviews to determine whether he keeps reading or not. While I like the many contemplation moments in this book and feel despair and loss as a result of the first book, there's one thing that feels unrealistic - and that's how powerful they are or how lucky they are. Despite the fact that the heroes are heading into enemy territory, things seem to always go their way. I just feel that a couple of the encounters could have ...more
Leliel Mitsukai
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highfantasy, borrowed
I read the first 13 Drizzt books back-to-back, so I sometimes forget what happened in which specific book but I certainly enjoyed the ride. The rating above reflects only the content.

This book stood out for a different reason...The cover is so absolutely atrocious it irked me every time I looked at it. The whole "Legacy" series in this printing is bad, but this one takes the cake. If you aren't familiar with the story, Drizzt is a young drow warrior. In this depiction he looks like an ancient, c
Ursula
"It is a defeat of the spirit to learn that one's arrogance causes such loss and pain. Pride invites you to soar to heights of personal triumph, but the wind is stronger at those heights and the footing, tentative. Farther, then, is the fall" (235).

My Rating
4 stars

Book Series
Book 8 of The Legend of Drizzt series (30+ books).

My Thoughts?
First half was a little slow. The reasons for why Drizzt was heading back to Menzoberranzan were explained and reexplained. I get why the author wanted to e
Twila
There are no shadows in the Underdark. There is no room for imagination in the Underdark. It is a place for alertness, but not aliveness, a place with no room for hopes and dreams.
- Drizzt Do’Urden

My favourite Forgotten Realms novels are the ones that take place in the Underdark. The savage and wild Drow fascinate me more than any other race I know. They’re devious, conniving and cutthroat. And I freaking love them. So, Drizzt deciding to leave the surface and return to his former home of Men
Alex
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm writing this as a thirty-six-year-old male who only picked this book up because its horrible cover drew him in, and the two-dollar used book price tag was just right.

This is the first Drizzt book I've ever read. It's also chronologically the eighth book in the series. That said, I know I missed out on a lot of character work and plot background which is regularly mentioned throughout this story. There's stuff about past character deaths and quests, but I didn't feel that the lack of this bac
Gwarlim
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Book was AMAZING!!!!!!! The characters are a bit difficult to understand if you start the series on this book because they've grown more complex over the series, but Salvatore provides enough to have a simple understanding for the story and relations between characters. I must say that my favorite has to be Drizzt himself, but you'd have to read it for yourself to find out.
Tony
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers
Reeling from the loss of one of his dearest friends, the warrior dark elf Drizzt journeys back into the Underdark - but can he survive the harsh environment after years of growing accustomed to life on the surface?

In pursuit of Drizzt are his loyal friends: Cattie-brie, the dwarven-raised deceptively tough-as-nails human female, and Guenhwyvar the panther, 600 pounds of fur, teeth, and claws! Meanwhile, the ever-eccentric drow mercenary leader, Jarlaxle, and the human assassin now stuck in the
Adam Wik
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Short Review
If you already really like Drizzt and the Forgotten Real series, or you are currently / have a lot in common with your average 14 year old boy you'll probably enjoy this. Light on substance, heavy on paper thin characters, magic, swords, and general fantasy trappings.

Long Review
(view spoiler)
Suz
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, fantasy
I enjoyed this one. Seeing the way our band of characters grieves a loss, pulls together, kicks ass and takes names.

For me, these usually border a line between "too much action" and "wow, that was exciting." Too many of them in a row and it's too much, but spacing them out a bit improves the experience, I think.
Fantasy Literature
While reading THE LEGEND OF DRIZZT series, I’ve developed the grim suspicion that every time R.A. Salvatore looks at his characters and thinks “time for some development, lads and lasses,” he immediately starts trying to shoehorn in an adventure to go along with it. Apparently one simply cannot have development through conversation or work or leisure or for that matter anything else that does not involve leaping off the hunched shoulders of your barbarian friend to stab an ogre in the face. Gran ...more
Richard
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While a bit silly at times (a talking sword?), Starless Night gets into the action quickly.

(The only hitch is that the assassin Entiri gives the magic ruby-pendant back to Drizzt in the last half of the book. Whut. Why?).

The plot is fantastic! The characters are marvelously written into the plot.
The dwarves take a back seat, and the halfing Regis comes into his own leading them. It's powerful and fantastic.
The Joker mercenary, master of manipulation & chaos in the evil dark-elf city drives t
Cari Mcconnell
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drizzt, you are a kick-butt super awsome drow boss, why are you whining like a punk? This will become a reaccuring complaint by the way. This was the one where he gets all emotionally bent out of shape that pain had been caused on his behalf. Then Cattie-brie has to go and drag him out of the caverns. I was at a toss-up over whether Cattie-Brie came across as an awsome empowered female who isn't afraid to risk her life for a friend, or if she more came off as the woman who drives out in the midd ...more
Gregory
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The start of another trilogy. Drizzt makes a foolish decision to tackle a problem solo and he has to learn the hard way that friends are important and necessary no matter how skilled in combat you are. This opening book creates nice tension and sets the stage for more confrontation and revenge to follow.
Lora Shouse
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am continually amazed that R.A. Salvatore can keep coming up with interesting new plot lines for the Legend of Drizzt series. I think this is the eighth one I have listened to, and they are all great. And yes, those that happen in the Drow city of Menzoberranzan do seem to be in many ways the best. Something about that place, lighted by fairy light and home to so much backstabbing and intrigue among the various noble houses, is just deliciously spooky.

In this story, Drizzt, feeling that he was
Michael Sanders
It has been a number of years since I read an RA Salvatore book, so I couldn't exactly remember his style. I read the Drizzt books in order, so this is the 8th book of his that I read. He tells a good story, no doubt, but I feel like this book sort of got bogged down in the fight scenes. He can write a fight scene like nobody else with great description, so he gets credit for that, but I feel that the storyline suffered a bit because after every scene of storytelling, was a grand fight scene. I ...more
MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader)
Dear god was this book amazing!

The Good:
Drizzt is awesome, as always. But he's extra awesome here, showing that he's willing to sacrifice everything to save those dear to him. There's also a surprise appearance by someone that Drizzt saved in the original trilogy.
This finally made me go for Belwar. Such an awesome villain.
It was consistently engaging the entire time.
Cattie-brie finally got to be a badass with her bow, and went in to save Drizzt.

The Great: Most of the last third reminded me of wh
Charles
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a review that also includes comments of the Audible version:

The book starts out slowly and gradually builds up the action and excitement, as Drizzt and his friends deal with tragedy and old enemies. We go into the Underdark and see more of the Dark Elves and other creatures that live down there, which is very interesting and keeps the suspense going.

The book is enjoyable, but Victor Bevine still has an odd way of narrating for me. He almost whispers, but on the other hand his voices for
Olaf Funke
Die ersten zwei Bände dieses Zyklus sind bisher die schwächsten der Drizzt-Reihe
Leider ist der Auto der Ansicht, es wäre eine Super-Idee, seine Helden mal so richtig leiden zu sehen, aber wenn ich das lesen will, dann greife ich zu Büchern von Martin.
Salvatore steht für mich für Bücher, in denen am Ende der Held der strahlende Gewinner ist und nciht gebrochen am Boden liegt. High Fantasy liegt ihm defintiv mehr als Dark Fantasy.
Drizzt wird hier mehr zu einem nervigen Jammerlappen, der von seinen
Travis O.
I liked this one, though I don't think it was the strongest book in the series thus far. It's ultimately a book about grieving and coming to terms with life after grief, and in that it succeeds admirably. Unfortunately, there is some arm twisting to get the characters to the final conclusion. That was spectacular, but the lead up was fairly plodding. However, the climax is worth that plodding. Three stars, just about average, feels right for this one.

I've decided to move straight to book 10 beca
Helena
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going to reread "Starless night" soon for the second time. I remember really liking the plot in this one, especially Cattie Brie's POV. I also enjoyed the overal dynamics of this novel. Jarlaxle meeting Catti Brie for the first time was also memorable and fun to read. Easily my favourite of the Forgotten realms series - it's action packed adorned with Salvatore's flowing narration and lots of interesting tibits of its own. Can't wait to start reading it again!
Jsrott
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The aftermath of what happened in the previous book plays a big part in the motivation for Drizz't in this one. Somehow, it didn't feel authentic. However, it was still full of action and adventure, and the plot took advantage of the world built by the creators. I'm worried that the subsequent books will feel a bit formulaic, but it's a good story nonetheless, so I'll stick with it.
Kent J.
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent entry to the series. Usually by book 8 in a series, the narratives are becoming formulaic and the characters are static. But not this one. Other than figuring 'the good guy is going to win in the end', I could not predict how this one was going to conclude. And there is still meaningful character development going on.
Daniel Woo
Not going to lie, but I felt like I forced myself to read this because of how great the earlier books were. Personally lost all respect for Catti-Brie, let's just say Wulfgar deserved better. A lot of time spent detailing Menzoberranzan but couldn't care less about it. Plus side, they finally met their match.
Lee
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, ra-salvatore
This Drizzt novel finds him abandoning Mithril Hall and going back to Mezzobean to confront Drow who are after him. Has some internal Drow politics as they are planning on uniting the various clans to invade Mithril Hall. A lot of action and mainly just Drizzt and Cati Brie who goes after Drizzt as he confronts some old adversaries and some new ones as well.
Iain
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'll admit this got off to a slow start. We're in the Underdark ... again. That guy is back ... again. Uggh.

But in the last 100 pages the plot turned, things got really interesting, and we're left with Salvatore at his best.
William Walter
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Up to book 8, the series continues to get better--some repetitive paragraphs now and then, but not as many as I have seen in other long series, and not really distracting. The story is moving forward, and plot is engaging; looking forward to the next adventure!
Abigail
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I didn't think this story was as good as some of the others. I liked Cattie-brie's development and the fact that Drizzt was in a tight spot but the story itself definitely wasn't one of the better ones.
Flosse07
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wieder mal eins der Besseren Bücher der Serie. Der "Big Fight" war für mich sehr fesselnd, einige der Wendungen unerwartet... mich würde jedoch interessieren, wer in der Kapelle alles zum Opfer wurde... vielleicht erfährt man es ja im nächsten Teil..
Liliia
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the kindness and charm of Salvatore's books. Though, I'm just tired of reading about fights between Drizzt and Artemis. And here he is. Alive. Again. It would be much better to end this part of story back in Calimport
Roberto Rho
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drizzt pensa che Mithril Hall sia minacciata da Menzoberranzan. E ha ragione. Quindi parte da solo per evitare una guerra contro la sua nuova patria. Ma Cattie-Brie andrà ad aiutarlo.
Bellissimo. Gran sorpresa nel finale.
Goodreads Librari...: Page count 0786948612 5 20 Nov 03, 2014 09:11PM
  • Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #5)
  • Tangled Webs (Starlight & Shadows #2)
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Dawn of Night (Forgotten Realms: Erevis Cale, #2)
  • Ascendancy of the Last (Lady Penitent #3)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • The Temptation of Elminster (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #3)
  • Tantras (Forgotten Relalms: Avatar #2)
  • Darkwalker on Moonshae (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #1)
  • The Wyvern's Spur (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #2)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more

Legacy of the Drow (4 books)
  • The Legacy (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #7)
  • Siege of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #9)
  • Passage to Dawn (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #10)
“What is it about your race that none of you can seem to properly weigh your own value? Every human seems to think more of herself than she should, or less of herself than is sensible!” 3 likes
“But in his years among the drow, Drizzt Do'Urden had learned to look beyond physical beauty and physical attraction. Drizzt did not separate the physical from the emotional. He was a superb fighter because he fought with his heart and would no sooner battle merely for the sake of battle than he would mate for the sake of the physical act.” 2 likes